Season 9 Ratings Thread

Ragincajun, I agree TGW has the best writers right now. I wish we could steal some of them! CSI's may be old but at least CSIM is trying to remake itself a little for the changing times--granted not always successfully. I think there is still a chance they could get it right and grow and prosper again. The value of an old show is the loyal audience. Even though TGW is very good, I am not in love with the characters like I am with CSIM. I feel CSIM has become my extended family because we've experienced all the emotional highs and lows together.

Also, do you think NCIS would be getting its huge ratings if they were in our timeslot? The answer is a huge no! NCIS is good but its ratings are over the top compared to everyone else because they have the prime timeslot. Any show would do well there.

Last edited:
Theresa,

I still love the CSI's, but I have to disagree that they would grow their audience in better timeslots. The reason CBS moved them is because they suffered such huge ratings losses in their old timeslots last season. For several weeks, Castle beat CSIM and SVU beat CSINY, and the mothership consistently finishes third in the demo behind Grey's Anatomy and The Office in its timeslot. Whether we like it or not, the networks are in the business to make money, not please hardcore fans, and the ad rates for the CSI's over the past couple of seasons have been sinking faster than an anchor. The public seems to have gotten tired of the concept over the past few seasons, and to be honest, the shows have really suffered in quality as well. It's like everyone from the producers to the writers, directors, and actors are simply going through the motions to collect their paychecks.

As for The Good Wife, I love the characters. Julianna is awesome in her role, the guys are some of the hottest on TV, and Archie's Kalinda is the best character to grace TV is several years.

That may be true, but comparing the numbers, Miami did better most weeks than H50 is this year(correct me if I'm wrong!). There were several weeks it did beat out Castle, repeats even beat their repeats at times, I do believe. I think Castle moved anyway, to a different night? I could be wrong, because I don't watch shows on other networks often...

Other than the CSI shows, I like the two NCIS' and Survivor. That's it. I couldn't ever get into TGW or The Mentalist... Not quite sure why! Maybe I'm in a rut alone, but I'm not tired of the procedural dramas.. and I've been watching each since day 1! :)

... the ad rates for the CSI's over the past couple of seasons have been sinking faster than an anchor. The public seems to have gotten tired of the concept over the past few seasons, and to be honest, the shows have really suffered in quality as well. It's like everyone from the producers to the writers, directors, and actors are simply going through the motions to collect their paychecks.

How do you know the ad rates are dropping? Please site your source. We may be old and tired but we still beat TGW this week in the critical demo (TGW with 2.2, and CSIM with 2.3), which is the bottom line for ad revenue. TGW may be fresh and well written but it is still on the probable cancel list like the CSI's. And I definitely disagree with your statement that the people involved with the show are only going through the motions and collecting a paycheck. If you read their interviews, they are still very excited and feel blessed to be doing CSIM.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=146495#thurs

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2009...vision-ad-rates-revealed-greys-anatomy-leads/

As you can see, CSI dropped from $198K in 2009 to $147K in 2010. The CSI spinoffs did improve the ad rates for their respective timeslots this fall, but their overall numbers also declined. I also tried to get you a link to the 2008 numbers, but Advertising Age wants me to register to get the information.

Now, being totally honest, The Good Wife's ad rates were down this fall too, but I'm willing to bet that it has increased a little since the start of the season because Parenthood, which did give it a little competition last spring as opposed to that Leno fiasco last fall, has totally tanked this season. Therefore, some of those advertisers may now be opting for The Good Wife.

Another thing that you have to keep in mind while looking at a show's ratings is total viewers and the 18-49 demos are not the be-all-end-all for ad rates. There are additional demo numbers that are even more important for specific advertisers. NBC makes its bread and butter off the 18-34 male viewer, while The CW is still around because the advertisers like its 18-34 female demos. Another good example of a show that gets constantly skewered by armchair ratings analysts is 60 Minutes. The show averages 10-12 million viewers a week, but its 18-49 demo may hover around 1.5 some weeks. Talk about old-skewing, right? However, its "high income" or "affluent" demos are off the charts. It's the show that is watched the most by CEO's, CFO's, and executives who sign 80% of America's paychecks. That's the reason why CBS doesn't preempt the show to cut down on the effects of the sports overruns that have been screwing CSI: Miami. 60 Minutes' average 30-second spot for your more typical advertisers is not that high on the chart that I linked, but companies like TD Ameritrade, Merrill Lynch, FedEx, Mercedes, and Travelocity are willing to pay high premiums to appeal to these viewers. This is one area where The Good Wife excels over the CSI's. I see many of the same ads during it that I see during 60 Minutes and The Amazing Race, another of CBS' more popular programs with affluent viewers.

Look, as I said before, I still love all of the CSI's. That's why I'm frequenting this board. However, I think we're past the point where we will see any of their audiences significantly grow any longer. If CSI: Miami is going to continue, it will have to substantially improve over the numbers that both The Unit and Cold Case generated over the past two seasons once the NFL completes this season.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Ragincajun. So are you saying that sites like TVbytheNumbers are not totally correct when they rank all the scripted shows according to the youngest (18-34) demo?

Cool, you go to tvbythenumbers too, Theresa?? :hugegrin:

If you enjoy that site, you may want to try the forums over at Zap2it. There is a forum there where we discuss nothing but ratings and reviews of TV shows. :thumbsup:

As for the question of their numbers not being totally accurate, yes, they are. However, you have to keep in mind that they are only giving averages for each show, not the specific demos that each advertiser desires. So, say shows like Glee and The Big Bang Theory both get the same 18-34 demos numbers, but Glee's numbers may skew more toward the female side of that demo while TBBT skews more toward the male side. This means advertisers for departments stores and feminine products would be willing to pay a higher premium to get ads during Glee and advertisers for video games and the latest new technological gadgets would pay a premium for TBBT.

To me, the best indication of a show's audience is to simply watch the ads during it. A show that has commercials for Lexus and Cadillac probably has an audience that has a much higher annual income that a show with commercials for Hyundai and Kia. ;)

So then if TVbytheNumbers looks only at the average 18-34 demo to judge whether a show should be renewed or cancelled, then I will take it with a grain of salt from now on. Based on the previous post, it is apparently more involved than that. Also because CBS keeps making shows that appeal to the older fans, they must know something we don't. I found this interesting tidbit from Media Life Magazine, which is strictly focused on ad revenue:

CBS has been the steadiest of the networks the past few years. Its appeal to older viewers ages 25-54 could become more of an advantage as media people begin targeting more mature viewers as the population ages.

So then if TVbytheNumbers looks only at the average 18-34 demo to judge whether a show should be renewed or cancelled, then I will take it with a grain of salt from now on. Based on the previous post, it is apparently more involved than that. Also because CBS keeps making shows that appeal to the older fans, they must know something we don't. I found this interesting tidbit from Media Life Magazine, which is strictly focused on ad revenue:

CBS has been the steadiest of the networks the past few years. Its appeal to older viewers ages 25-54 could become more of an advantage as media people begin targeting more mature viewers as the population ages.
If this is true, then they're certainly placing a higher priority than they did when they set up Murder,She Wrote to be axed. They viewed the older audicence as not important as the fabled 18-49 crowd.

I hope you posters can help me with another angle on the ratings - "problem".
1. are viewers in the diffent demo more or less loyal? Will 25 - 40 be more or less loyal then 15 -24? (numbers just an example not facts)? Which would more shows with a certain appeal less finckle(sp)?
2. would a certain age appeal "live" longer because of agegroup appeal or does shows from day one have an expire-date? the Law and Order - one lived a long time because of viewers being old or female or ......?

I hope you posters can help me with another angle on the ratings - "problem".
1. are viewers in the diffent demo more or less loyal? Will 25 - 40 be more or less loyal then 15 -24? (numbers just an example not facts)? Which would more shows with a certain appeal less finckle(sp)?
2. would a certain age appeal "live" longer because of agegroup appeal or does shows from day one have an expire-date? the Law and Order - one lived a long time because of viewers being old or female or ......?
If you're in your 40's like me, you might recall there was a chapter in Douglas Couplands book Generation X called, "I Am Not A Target Market."

Except you probably are.

The younger demos are more influenced by advertising. While there may be some who try and build loyalty across all markets, the name of the game is selling ad time. The more you can rope in the younger (and allegedly less jaded) audience, the more you can charge for your commercial breaks.

Shows that are hip, exotic and fresh like H-5-0 have a young cast and appeal to a young demo--all despite the fact that the show is a sendup from 40 years ago. This is the raison d'etre for many of the "remakes," like when they tried to remake Dragnet with Dan Ackroyd & Tom Hanks. There are few original ideas in TV any more. Someone will try and remake MASH from Iraq, Sanford & Son will be a Korean dry cleaner and his kid, and sooner or later there will be a Law & Order: Portland. :guffaw:

Last night's ratings...

8 p.m. - NBC grabbed first in the 8 p.m. hour with 16.265 million viewers and a 5.8 demo rating for the start of the game between Seattle and St. Louis. CBS was second overall with the 11.14 million viewers for "CSI: Miami," which finished fourth in the key demo. ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" was third overall with 9.345 million viewers and finished a distant second in the demo. FOX was fourth overall with 5.62 million viewers for repeats of "The Simpsons" and "The Cleveland Show."

10 p.m. - Sunday Night Football closed primetime in first for NBC with 15.49 million viewers and a 5.7 demo rating. CBS' repeat of "CSI: Miami" averaged 8.6 million viewers for second overall. ABC's new "Brothers & Sisters" was third overall with 7.97 million viewers, finishing second in the key demo with a 2.4 rating.

HitFix

The Futon Critic published these numbers. Although considered preliminary, I've noticed this website usually gets it right and the numbers tend to hold up in the finals. Based on these ratings, CSIM did very well.

"NFL Overrun" (14.49 million viewers, #4; adults 18-49: 3.4, #7) on CBS (11.28 million viewers, #2; adults 18-49: 2.4, #4) led into a new "60 Minutes" (12.19 million viewers, #5; adults 18-49: 2.0, #17), the relocated "CSI: Miami" (11.25 million viewers, #7; adults 18-49: 2.5, #13), a new "Undercover Boss" (10.68 million viewers, #9; adults 18-49: 2.7, #T9) and a repeat of "CSI: Miami" (7.47 million viewers, #15; adults 18-49: 1.8, #18).

Week-to-week changes (adults 18-49): CSI: Miami (+13.60% vs. 12/12/10), Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (+12.50% vs. 12/12/10), America's Funniest Home Videos (+10.50% vs. 12/5/10), Desperate Housewives (+8.60% vs. 12/12/10), 60 Minutes (+5.30%), Brothers & Sisters (-4.00% vs. 12/12/10), Undercover Boss (-10.00% vs. 12/12/10), Sunday Night Football (-32.90% vs. 12/19/10).

Back