Season 8 Wishlist

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Calihan, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

Re: Season 8 Wishlist

^ That's pretty much the most GSR centric I want an episode to get really. I like the science most of all, so that coupled with GSR is perfect. :)

2. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

I'm still hoping the San Francisco case has Greg and Sara go. And if anyone else goes with them, let it be Nick. It would just be funny to see Greg and Sara knowing their way around while poor Nicky is lost and confused, out of his element. Yep, fingers crossed for that.

3. ButterFlied92

ButterFlied92 Lab Technician

I must agree. Even my own ship is getting boring and out of character. Catherine, like it was said before, was acting juvenile this season and it was just unbearable. And I'm with you, Clarrisani, I'm hoping against hope that Greg and Sara will be sent to San Fransisco. In addition to Nick, I also think that Warrick would be a good companion for the two. Nick and Warrick seem to just mold with whoever they're with. In my opinion, those two have good chemistry with everybody.

As I said in my wishlist, I like GSR, but not when it consumes the plot. I started watching CSI for the science and maturity of the characters, figuring out crime scenes and tracking down a killer through forensics. It it turns soapie, I fear I might abandon the show, something that I don't take lightly.

Something else I would like to add to my wishlist though... *** - Give us a Warrick-centric episode. Even though him and Greg are getting less and less screen time, I must say, haven't seen Warrick a lot this past season. Find something that will strike him hard and involve him. He deserves a good, meaty episode.

4. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

well the thing is S_Bright, that if you want it or not, they are human. they are not robots, and sometimes (despite their experience) they actually screw up, behave unprofessionaly, or simply fall in love. it's life, and you can't deny that. don't tell me that you've never made a mistake or done something against the rules, cuz we all did. unless you're Jesus, lol.

CSI always beautifuly balanced their private life and the cases, strongly emphasizing the latter. the episodes that contain some personal issues are my favorites, not b/c i like soaps, but b/c those scenes are so rare, thus special.

and i'm gonna say it again, if you don't want to watch any personal storylines, change your channel to Discovery, b/c i really doubt TPTB would ever drop all the personal issues that the characters have. this show is called a drama for a reason. if you don't want to watch a drama, just ... don't. it's the nature of this show since the beginning. Sara's problem with domestic violence, Brass and his daughter, Grissom dating Terri Miller, Sara dating Hank, Grissom and Heather, Nicky being molested as a child, the unresolved GSR, Grissom's hearing loss, Cath and Eddie, Cath and a couple more guys ... do you really need more examples that this show has never been purely about the cases?

this formula made it successful. CSI is the most watched show on TV, and they would be crazy if they changed it to Forensic Files. are there even any ratings for those Discovery programs? lol

5. spankme

spankme Victim

I didn't see Butterflied as GSR when it was first shown or even now. I could see how Gil would be upset that a co-worker's doppleganger was murdered and he didn't want her to see the corpse. Gil's soliloquy at the end made me think he was talking about Lady Heather. Someone young and beautiful certainly isn't Sara. Sorry but to me it just isn't. Someone that would destroy his career never made her come to mind either. A liason with LadyH who is young and beautiful and a Bugman career destroyer would make more sense. Sara was looking thru the glass with that downturned mouth thing going on never even made me jive it might have pertained to her.

I also want professional actions again. If a Supervisor wants to date a Subordinate then one of them must transfer to a different shift and they must not work any cases again. It is unethical. I never thought of Gil as unethical until this GSR horror came up.

Wishlist addition - if Sara is back she goes to dayshift and they never work together again. GSR would at least make the ethical jump to permissable.

6. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

As an adult you can screw up, but you do not dig the hole you're standing in deeper when you realize you've made a mistake, you rectify it and learn from it. How many times has Grissom stood on his soapbox and talked about the integrity of the lab - and now he is having an covert relationship? That is not adult, it juvenile and furthermore, downright breaking policies. Sara or he should have been sent to days ages ago. That is being adult and bearing the consequences of your actions. Period.

I agree, it did. Up till S7, when it all spiraled out and scenes that had no bearing on the cases seeped in, and those where always GSR scenes. There is no, and I emphasize no adult person that starts fondling your partner at a crime-scene like Grissom did (the caressing of Sara's arm) that is so beyond profesionality that no-one can tell me it would happen IRL. And that is skidding on the soap.

me and the other 20% of this year has just done so - and if this continues - another 20% will probably go and the revenues with them. CSI will not survive that.

It's CSI Crime Scene Investigators for crying out loud! The drama is derivative from the crime-scenes, not the interpersonal relationships of the team-members! Their personal lives should stay in the background, like it has. Not so anymore - now we had the MSCK that dragged the relationship to the forefront of the show. A contrived and painfully badly constructed crime to boot. If you need a case full of plotholes to showcase a relationship - then it is soap. It means the relationship does not even have the strenght to stand on its own in the show - which apparently GSR does not have. Hence the drop in viewers, despite the over-the-top drama built around it.

7. spankme

spankme Victim

What made CSI so successful over the first six seasons was it was a procedural crime drama which appealed to intelligent adults who wanted something that tested their intellects. It was not a soap. Only when they turned it into a soap and reduced the complicated stories to appeal to a twelve year old mind did the show start to lose viewers. GA's viewership did not increase a like number so the CSI viewers didn't go there - they just left leaving CSI with a 20% loss over season six. You can't drive away the adult viewers and not lose revenue. As S_Bright says another drop of 20% for season eight over season seven and CSi will not survive.

Interesting how often the answer to those who do not like GSR is the suggestion from the GSRs that we change the channel. If we do, when you look at the above paragraph, you will find CSI cancelled and the cast out on their keisters. Billy, Marg, and Paul will be safe and I hope George as well. Jorja has acted so badly twice because of the desire for payraises that we probably won't see much of her again.

Wishlist time - give those folks back the CSI as it was so it isn't cancelled. \

8. assumenothing

assumenothing Rookie

I suppose I'm a little late in doing so, but I think I'm going to add to my original list. I didn't mention some things that now I realize I should have, after reading everyone else's posts.

As for GSR, I say keep it. I never really had a particular ship for this show, maybe I preferred Grissom and Sara slightly, but as long as story lines are canon I believe that they do have a place on the show. To me, GSR has never been unrealistic- it has been set up from the beginning as a possible plotline and the writers are now exploring it. CSI should not be devoid of relationships, and GSR has been done tastefully. It should stay in the same low-key tone for season 8. It has not been nearly as dramatic or out-in-the-open as Cath's drama, even though I know they are totally different things. So I say: keep it, but keep it down.

I do agree that Grissom is being unethical dating Sara. But as for him never being unethical before this, never stepping outside the boundaries of the rules, I don't think that's true. Grissom acts on what he thinks is right. He does yell at Ecklie, he does oppose the FBI in Strip Strangler and get thrown off the case. So I don't think it is completely out of character for him to date Sara because it seems that he has thought about it and come to his own conclusion.

I agree with ButterFlied92's opinion (and I'm sure many others) that no one should be in peril for the finale. Nick, Sara, and Brass have all given me enough panic attacks. Something outlandish, like a conspiracy or a serial murderer, is fine for a finale, though. It makes it more interesting and makes it so that the show doesn't have to end with a "To Be Continued." Excitement without character peril is fine with me.

If Lady Heather must be brought back, bring her back in a different fashion. I love seeing her, I love her character, I just thought that she was rather off in Good Bad Dominatrix. She wasn't the old Lady Heather, and I know that's what TPTB was going for, but it was uncomfortable seeing one of my favorite characters that way. The way Grissom reacted was also uncomfortable; not OOC, really, just very uncomfortable. And also, if there is a next time, it should probably be the last time, as much as I enjoy Lady Heather, too much would not do anything for the show.

Bring back a character or two for a one-time episode. Zephyr is a great place to start, since he was my favorite murderer and never really had his case resolved. And no killing off all recurring murderers, like what happened with Tammy Felton.

And finally, bring the whole team back. Even though they are all back together once again, it just doesn't feel like it. As I said in my original post, they need some kind of event to help them all bond. Sara's survival and recoperation is a good place for some kind of team-bonding to begin. Just seeing them all going out to breakfast is great. And if all of them together isn't possible, get more case variation so that different teams of people (no more Grissom/Sara cases for a little bit) can interact again.

9. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

this is again the problem of ethics. we live in a word in which not everything is either black or white and some things may be perceived as completely ethical by one group of people, while the other group may think it's terribly unethical. you can't make everybody think like you. instead allow yourself to think that there are people who don't have a problem with things that you do. Grissom and Sara don't think it's unethical, if it doesn't interfere with the job. and it didn't.
    you gotta be kidding me. if you think that everybody on the planet strictly goes by the rules, you don't live in this world. he didn't have sex with her at that crime scene, he touched her arm. and it was the most physical they got on CSI, ever.
    the problem is that every single show has lost their viewers past year, and you know what? CSI is still #1.
    i have a feeling that you really hate this show, lol.

10. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

I have the feeling that you, Adzix has never worked in a surrounding where ethics are vital. Fondling, flashing and questionable behavior on such a job does not happen, it's not tolerated - not if you're professional and aim for a career in said field. That's why there are rules and training, and if you don't abide by them you might find yourself looking for another job sooner than you think. it's not like flipping burgers at all, there are strirt ethical codes you are bound to follow. That's adult life - you stick to rules or you pay the consequences.

As has CSI with the drops in viewers.

And their romance has interfered with their jobs - did you miss the entire MSCK-case? :devil: That was a direct consequence of Grissom's fondling at a crime-scene. Contrived as it may be, there still is no other explanation and thus; their romance infers with their work big time. And since they are not paying the consequences of their juvenile behavior - the show is soap and nothing else.

And that simply has to end.

11. spankme

spankme Victim

CSI is number six not number one. In all the years past number one included all primetime shows. You cannot make the excuse it is number one scripted as so many GSRs do. I'm sure the top brass at CBS don't make that distinction. It is number six, with five other shows before it, and that's the truth according to Nielsens.

I suspect that S Bright loves CSI a lot more than you do, VMA. She isn't making excuses about why it has lost viewers and ratings or ignoring the consequences thereof.

Ethics and rules, reasonable rules, are a way of life. Throwing aside your ethics shows a terrific weakness of personality. Gil may have argued with Ecklie and got thrown off the case but it was proved he was right. When Gil, until season seven, has gone against the rules it was because he knew when something was wrong and made it right. He was uncompromising in his belief he had to follow what was right until the writers decided to make him weak and foolish for season seven. Subordinate/Supervisor relations are ethically wrong and in many companies completely against the rules.

12. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

I doubt you would have noticed it if they hadn't slow motioned it, and they did that to show how close to detail Natalie notices. What about "make a muscle Nicky" and lots of other scenes that have happened, I don't think it was unprofessional, if that was, then all those other scenes would be unprofessional too, but they aren't.
    Erm.. Ellie? That was a few seasons back now, and that was most definitely not in the background. Personally I love finding out about the characters personal lives. If we didn't know the CSIs as people, not just machines, then it wouldn't be as much fun for me to watch the show. Finding out their weaknesses makes it more interesting, and more like RL. Which reminds me, I want to find out why Grissom has more trouble with child cases, shove that on my wishlist. :p
    I was under the impression that Natalie was following Grissom around (sort of) and even if Sara wasn't at the crime scene, she still would've seen Grissom with her, and thus shoved her under a friggin' mustang. *sobs*
    I think it probably depends on where you look. Anyway, does it really matter? I mean, I'll still watch it. :rolleyes:

13. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

the same ratings show that it's the #1 scripted show if you include repeats.
    it always ends up like this. is it like the 4th time? i'm tired of this kind of discussion, which can go on and on to no end. there is no point in me trying to persuade somebody who thinks that the most important things in life are rules set by other people. i think love is more important, even if you have to break some of those rules, and that's the difference between us. look at the greatest romances of all time. many times the couples acted unethical to be together. Romeo and Juliet were secretly seeing each other, lying to their families and sleeping together even though they weren't married. how unethical of them. and till this day their story is the most famous in the world, certainly not b/c Juliet lied to her mom, lol.

you need to sacrifice many things in your life in the name of love and happiness, and IMO it's always worth it. everyday Grissom and Sara face the most terrifying and awful crimes that people commit. paraphrazing what Jorja once said, this relationship brings a tiny ray of light to their lives, where they can find love and comfort in each other. why would you deny them that? again, it's the matter of your priorities, whether you want to be stupidly *ethical* and push away other people from you, or find love that'll last to the rest of your life.

ETA:
    besides people who do everything by the rules are freakin boring.

lol

14. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

Adzix - I don't think you understand what ethics are, really. Ethics are there for a reason, and sure you can have personal ethics but in a team, you can't go off on your own and create your own ethics that are opposite the stated ethics of the profession, if you do you simply need to find another profession. Or work for the wthics to be changed, not go behind your team and the structure in which you work and establish your own ethics. Not when you are dealing with the fate of other people. As a supervisor you set the standard of the team - and Grissom had set the standard that is all right to conceal and breaks policies in order to gain something personal.

I understand that you 'ethics' allow you to consider CSI as number one if you add scripted shows into the game - my ethics say that I need to check the facts and see that is actually nr. 6.

And Romeo and Juliet died if you missed that - not a very happy ending.

And yes, they can live happily forever after - but they have to sacrifice and not work together. A simple as that. What does it say about their relatioship if they are not willing to do that?

At the job, your priories are alway work, and nothing else. Especially when you handle the future and fate of other people.

15. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

okay, this is the last time i'm responding b/c it's not a thread for this kind of talk, and i can just feel this big juicy modslap coming my way, lol.

from Collins English Dictionary:
    Ethics: the moral fitness of a decision, course of action, etc.

Rules: an authoritative regulation or direction concerning method or procedure, as for a court of law, legislative body, game, or other human institution or activity

sometimes they just don't overlap.

now, would it be ethical for Grissom to continue to hurt Sara and himself at the same time?
    it may come the last show watched by 49 year old widows, and the most watched by 35 year old married firemen. it depends how you are looking at it. and i don't have to involve any kind of ethical bahavior when i read information on the internet. i just read it, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.