Season 8 *Spoiler Lab* Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION!!

The episode discussion thread is now up for #812 "Grissom's Divine Comedy" all discussions of this ep should go in that thread. As this thread is for Future Episodes.

Thanks. :)

Don't know exactly where to put this. *shrugs*

[/b]Is This the End for "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation", Fate Unclear[/b]
By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith
Mar 26, 2008

"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation"regular Marg Helgenberger says the fate of the show is definitely up in the air -- "every actor's contract is over this season" -- but she for one is "interested in having a new contract." Of the show's lead, William Petersen, she says, "I don't know what Billy's plans are. He's had issues with having to work in every single episode, so they're frantically trying to work something out with him."

The impact of the writers strike is what changed her mind about staying, says the actress who plays crime scene analyst Catherine Willows on the hit CBS drama. "If we hadn't had that forced hiatus, we would have had a whole season to arc out where Catherine was going to be at the end. They had a plan in mind to wrap up this season, and that's sort of been thrown out because we're only doing six more episodes."

"CSI" returns April 3 with new episodes, and Helgenberger says, "We're trying to attempt something we haven't done before. They want to start back into the ninth season, then break for the hiatus in order to give the crew more chances to spend [time] with their kids. It's more in sync with the school calendar. The plan would be to shoot through June, then break for six weeks. We'll have already banked about five episodes for the next season."

Hmm interesting that they want to shoot into June and get some episodes for Season 9 already done.

If they want to get a jump on next season, I'm all for it. A lot of the cast and crew probably want to make up for the 100 days of work that they missed, it undoubtedly had an effect on their pockets.

They want to start back into the ninth season, then break for the hiatus in order to give the crew more chances to spend [time] with their kids. It's more in sync with the school calendar. The plan would be to shoot through June, then break for six weeks. We'll have already banked about five episodes for the next season."

How can they be shooting the ninth season if no one has a contract for it?
Is the real motive here a hedge against a SAG strike?
Why would the wife of the president of SAG go along with this extra-contractual scheme?
All very strange.
LaSquisita

The article seems to contradict itself, they are unsure of CSI's future because their contracts are up after season 8 but yet they plan to continue working making episodes for season 9?

Last edited:
I don't really see the point of shooting season 9 early unless they are afraid WP is leaving or, as mentioned above, a possible SAG strike. Would they have more episodes for season 9, or air them earlier? It doesn't make much sense otherwise. Why don't they just extend season 8 into June? That would make more sense and would make the fans happier.

Maybe Billy will sign a contact to be on CSI until the end of June, meaning that he'll be in the first few episodes of season 9. I'm almost certain that he was planning to leave after season 8, but then the writer's strike created problems for future storylines, one possibly being his exit. I think Billy wants to be fair to his fans, so he'll stick around long enough to finish up his storyline, which could be why we've heard that Jorja won't be back this season.

I feel pretty confident that all of the regulars (except for Billy) will sign a new contract. I mean, it's a steady and very good paycheck for them. Finding work as an actor without a weekly series is uncertain at best. While they are all very talented, they would be competing with a lot of other actors out there for parts.

I really hope Mr. Petersen renews his contract. He's the only one I'm worried about departing. I hope tptb make him an offer he can't refuse.

Maybe Billy will sign a contact to be on CSI until the end of June, meaning that he'll be in the first few episodes of season 9. I'm almost certain that he was planning to leave after season 8, but then the writer's strike created problems for future storylines, one possibly being his exit. I think Billy wants to be fair to his fans, so he'll stick around long enough to finish up his storyline, which could be why we've heard that Jorja won't be back this season.

sounds plausible!

And we already know that Billy would be missing a couple months of filming time anyway in Nov and Dec due to him being back in Chicago.

He's in a pretty strong position negotiating wise. They'll want him back, and he won't (and can't) do 24 shows.

I really do think they are laying the foundations though for him to leave. The spoilers about him questioning how long he can do the job, the option of him leaving and going to wherever Sara is etc etc. IT'd be easy enough to plan and fit into the storyline. And then change if he stays!

Billy is the one that I worry about leaving. I know that it's been in the wind for a few years now, but I think that Jorja leaving makes it seem easier for everyone else. I hope I'm wrong and Billy signs on for season 9, at least.

However, I agree that tptb seem to be setting us up for Gil leaving. Gil's near burnout and resulting sabbatical, and then his conversation with Jack in the WAT crossover, about questioning staying with the job every day, was the beginning of laying the foundation.

It's scary...and incredibly sad to think of CSI without Grissom. :(

This thread is for the discussions, opinions regarding the future "episodes, story-lines and character spoilers as it relates to the current season in the US." This thread has nothing to do with the actor/actresses themselves, ship discussions in general, or past episodes each of these have their own respective threads and or forum.
Now folks are wondering how do we discuss this in regular threads if its a spoiler? Well that could be a problem, but if you know the CHARACTER is leaving and have info on that ep, then its all good and can be discussed here. But IF its just speculation on the actor/actress leaving without any actual spoiler regarding their character leaving, then it should be done in its respective thread. :thumbsup:

I'm confused because at the beginning of this season, there was talk about Nick taking over the team and such and now Marg is saying the show was wrapping because HER character is burning out. Isn't that a little egocentric on her part?

I think they should move on to ten to even it out, and I think the show will go on without Billy just fine. When he was gone a few episode I didn't even miss him.

Marg is saying the show was wrapping because HER character is burning out. Isn't that a little egocentric on her part?
I think what she said was that Cath's story lines were going to be wrapped up by tying together all the dangling plot fragments. This would allow Marg to leave the show feeling comfortable about her character's fate if she wanted. She is not saying anything about the future of the show itself:
"If we hadn't had that forced hiatus, we would have had a whole season to arc out where Catherine was going to be at the end. They had a plan in mind to wrap up this season, and that's sort of been thrown out because we're only doing six more episodes."
La Squisita

Boy this thread is mighty quiet.

I have to wonder something. Was this strike worth it? It's kind of like the baseball strike in the 90s where it took years before they gained back a good audience.

It's kind of scary. Will CSI and other TV shows get back their previous audiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back