Season 7 Spoiler Discussion - Welcome back to the Big Apple!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Episode 7.07 is titled "Hide Sight." Be back in a minute with some spoilers on it!

Doesn't appear to be much right now, but here is what I can share. :)

*This episode appears to be the start of the three-episode arc. We're introduce to Chief Phil Carver, a superior to Mac. From what I gather, Mac and Carver have a hard time agreeing with each other, and seem to never be on the same page.

*There's a sniper attack, and Carver doesn't want Mac revealing to the public that there is a sniper on the loose.

*The killer appears to be targeting women.

*I only see Mac, Jo, and Lindsay mentioned. But being that the case is considered a high priority, I'm sure the others are involved as well. :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Really, if the three episode story arc is going to be about Mac butting heads with yet another superior while trying to catch yet another serial killer this is going to be extremely boring. Granted, we only have the bare bones of the plot, but I can't imagine how they're going to make it interesting.

3. TheChaoticBox

TheChaoticBox Rookie

Why is Sela Ward holding (what appears to be) her script above her head the whole time? :lol:

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I love how into Twitter Gary has gotten. He posts as many pics as AJ, if not more! :lol:

I'm glad to hear the plans aren't for sparks to immediately be flying between Mac and Jo--having that be the focus so early on (the way it was with Lindsay's introduction with Danny) would be detrimental to the character IMO.

I'll admit, Mac butting heads with a superior sounds familiar, but maybe there will be a new twist on it or something. Let's hope...

5. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

I am also pleased about this Option. It could become full of suspense. Thus we can see again more pissy Mac.:)

6. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I agree, so far so good. But their problems with stunt casting go back many years :lol: (Kid Rock in S2, anyone?) and have cropped up just about every season. This season has sounded pretty decent and less gratuitous in that regard (...so far... :p)

:lol:. I'll just - :lol: sorry -

*ahem.*

...just bite my digital tongue here. But :lol::p.

General collective sigh of relief, interspersed with elements of disappointment, was that what I just heard? :p.

The Couch, Single, and Workaholic all !Win :lol:. So. Gee. ...Whatever will we all talk about now?? :p. Kidding. (Simply don't mean to be overly offensive in my flippancy ;)) Anyways.

a) I am glad Jo will get to be established within the team by her work and personality, and not first by a romantic relationship.

b) Guess this could be another hint that the show may have really been taking the changes in the offseason to assess their focus and so called priorities.

c) I also don't necessarily take this as conclusively excluding using !Banter and even !Tension as part of a mode of interaction between Jo & Mac. Especially with the safety net of nothing planned between them. I'm interested regardless in what kind of dynamic they will evolve between them.

...Also guess this means Fay won't yet be tasked with another poster :p. (That, alas, is too bad :rommie:).

...dunno. Might be something in the way their production schedule works, or mebbe it's something within contracts that works in their favor. Even if it's a generally fore-known costing.

Mebbe they think that's all the retention span their viewers have in recalling multi-ep appearances - ooooooor, mebbe that's they're particular span of interest and retention in multi ep appearances :p.

I agree that their typical ability to deal with multi-ep appearances is also a mixed bag of results. I think it worked reasonably well in S5 in particular. S6 had it's own !Issuez w/ regards to character arcs. As in Messer.

I still wonder, if later in the season when there's a renewed rhythm established, the show might find space to revisit Mac's personal arc. Or, they may just have written it off, who knows. Mebbe that too is in part a casting issue. Doubt we'll get so much of a conversational reference to things now set five months in the past though, unfortunately. (Mebbe Stella recruited them both to help in New Orleans :p).

Between the choice of a personal arc and a professional one, it looks like the focus is on Mac's professional life. Guess they also find that easier to tie back into case-related appearances. That is kinda sad in a way; I found that the surprisingly concise and un-soapish Triangle aspect of last season was among the most human & present-tense material given him, while a lot of the other moments in turn made heavy use of teh default Soap Box, derby and otherwise.

-

As far as personal material goes, I guess there could still be possible opportunities in this season's sniper arc to hint at Mac's military career, etc. (No, he wasn't a sniper, and mebbe I'm incorrect to think that the perp/sniper may have had some military training, but that's the sort of link which had me musing that the show might use the case as occasion to reference that part of Mac's past).

Last season was Flack, Messer, Stella sorta, and Mac, who got some focus on their personal lives and issues. Guess this season it'll be Lindsay, Jo, possibly Adam. I hope we'll be able to add Sheldon too. (And yet. If the show's new priorities have them veering away from previously planned romantic stuff this season, and personal material is to be more dramatic, it could be Sheldon will remain a workaholic a little longer too...) Mac could be included in the latter list as well, but it may not be so personal, and more about the job & case. Guess we'll see what happens once the season has found its feet.

I also hope that if the 3 ep arc is a model they're gonna continue to pursue, that that's all we'll hafta sit thru where Lindsay Messer Monroe and her Mighty Medal of Montanaism and related !Issuez are concerned.

It does rather sound like yet another multi-ep chase where the city is terrorized. (Or would be, if they were perhaps informed there was a sniper on the loose. On the other hand. Folks might be smart enough to piece such together on their own...)

As for butting heads with a superior. That's what I wanted to come back to.

I think Mac does need to be challenged more, and while I'd like to see that done in ways it hasn't been before, I still welcome the inclusion of such in S7. Hopefully Jo helps with that too, in her own way, even if there are some parallels w/ Stella simply thru operating within the same job position. Differences of approach and opinion, even and especially if they've the hutzpah to go there more frequently within the team, could be interesting, and departmental politics is a reasonable aspect to play to for me. Depends on how they go about it, of course.

I do suspect there's a temptation for the show to give Mac more than one Uber-nemesis in the arc, one each on both sides of the law, with the Chief & the Sniper. (I also can't say I don't welcome a more adversarial approach, as opposed to past seasons where the show had the Perps also trying to somehow have a "bond" with Mac or vice versa, Gravedigger, Compass Killer eg.)

I hope Carver/Mac is not a cardboard confrontation, but more complicated. I also hope it's not about Mac Being Right, but truly about having to make the best choice possible in a Lesser of Evils array of unpleasant options, etc., that kind of dilemma where no matter what you do there is some sort of cost that you'll be responsible for shouldering as part of the job.

The show did pretty well with Dunbrook as a character, one who kinda straddled both sides of the line, even if, as said, at least one of the eps in that arc was a klunker. The Blu Flu issue, and a business man Charitably donating massive funds to the NYPD, was still more convoluted in implications than cut and dried, and Mac would do well to be faced more with that sort of thing where Right is not the end all be all. I also liked that the relationship between Sinclair and Mac became less polarized and more complicated and human in more recent seasons. I also liked what Quinn brought to the Taxi killer arc. Basically, I just hope that whatever is set up for this particular case isn't going to be overly simplified. I also really, really hope the casting for Carver is good, and (barring the show going the more anonymous-killer route), for the sniper too.

I also suppose it may not be simply Mac-centric thru each of the three episodes, they might spread it out a bit. Could be interesting for Jo in particular, as a new second in command, to be in the middle of that kind of internal conflict, especially if the Chief approaches her in some fashion with regards to how the labs and case are proceeding. It could also be that Jo will be able to contribute susbstantially to the case, if they write her to have been involved in investigating the DC beltway sniper in 2002 while with the FBI, for example.

I do wonder what will have happened to Sinclair. Or was he the deputy? Can't recall. I thought Gillian was the deputy at one point? Meh. :lol:. Still a plot-convenient introduction.

Sounds like the sniper isn't on a generic spree but that the show's pulling out their inner Profilers. Still. Could be good. I'm admittedly ambivalent at the moment on a triad ep set up for it, but I guess they couldn't establish and play out the internal conflict stuff, terrorize the city, track and catch the killer, all in one ep. Will wait and see.

:lol: dunno. Was wondering that meself. (Mebbe she's all about the lighting? :lol:)

Me too. (Guess the #PizzaBox series has fallen by the wayside tho :lol:).

It's been really great to have so many new pics, from so many people on the show, as well as the more typical sources.

:lol:. True. We might'a been cheated from AngstyDanny in his arcs last season, but I suppose this could see the return of !Pissy/ArmAcrossTheThroat/CrankyBootsMac :p. (Mebbe that's what comes of only having his couch for company :lol:).

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Heh, spoilers just keep coming in!

They look great together. Not as a couple... but rather new co-workers who seem to be getting off to a good start!

8. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

I couldn't agree more with you! She looks so beautiful and they already harmonize so well on the picture :).

9. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

With all the news going around, I'm more excited for the coming season than I was last season. My enthusiasm level is so high, just like the time when I was just a new fan - mid-season 5! :) I never felt this excitement level last season. The show is going to have real actors as guest stars, a new character that will invigorate the dynamics of the team, new stories etc. It feels like the second life of CSI: NY.

About the three-episode arc, it seems to have similarity with the Dunbrook arc of season 5. But I'll judge after I saw it. I'm wondering where Chief Sinclair is.

10. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

7.06 and 7.07 will include scenes shot in NYC. From what I can tell, the press conference with Mac and Carver from 7.07 (where they butt heads over whether or not to alert the media about a sniper) will be shot in New York, and a scene with Flack and the victim's mother in 7.06 will be shot in NYC next to a park of some sort.

11. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

That would be so awesome to stop by on the NYC set when they are here. Do you have any specific details like when they'll be filming in NYC and where?

12. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Nope, no clue. I only know they're doing a few scenes on location (barring any unforeseen circumstances, I suppose).

13. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

They are reminding me a lot of Stabler and Benson on SVU from that pic alone -- but since I love the Stabler/Benson working relationship, zero complaints here! :lol: It's also great to hear official confirmation that Jo's not a "replacement" -- I dunno why, but it is.

Haven't looked too carefully at the spoilers yet, but on Mac's new rival...it's been done, but I'm kind of glad to see it again anyway :lol: I will say one of the drier things about S6 was the total lack of Sinclair/Mac headbutts. I can`t see this new guy topping Sinclair at all, but it`s fun to see Mac fight with his superiors, and it kind of sucks that all his boss-rivals seem to have vanished.

14. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

He sent them to TBHOC!:lol:

15. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Me too! Benson and Stabler are so amazing together, like Mac and Stella did. With Jo as Mac's new partner, I believe that they will be awesome together as well. The cast pictures look great, I can't imagine how much more on TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.