Season 7 Ratings

I was always taught that to play an April fool after mdday April 1st meant that the tables were turned and the prankster became the fool a theory PV proved in spades with Friday nights installment. Just when the ratings were creeping up to be halfway decent and the all important demographic to boot, just when it looked like the show could possibly dig itself out of the Grand Canyon sized hole it's in we get that. It's bad enough that we have to enjure Jo instead of our lovely Stella at all but under no circumstances should we even have to contemplate the idea of her as a possible love interest for Mac. Why PV and her writing team cannot get that ridiculously simple concept into their heads is beyhond me. Mac/Jo is about as popular as a guided tour of Lybia and that is never going to change period. In Stella/Smacked you have the goose that lays the golden eggs after all this is the woman he went to Greece for, who he walked out on a crime scene for, who came to the bar the night Peyton dear johnned him to show her support, who held him together when his wife died, who Reed thought was Claire they were so close despite Mac dating someone else, the woman the audience have been waiting with bated breath for nearly 7 years to see become the new Mrs T and yet TPTB think Friday night was a good idea? I'm sorry if anybody's offended by this next bit bur as far as I'm conserned sombody is a few Banana's short of a bunch if they believe the audience wants Jo instead. The even stupider thing is that the Russ/Jo idea works extremely well and is an idea actually liked by the audience. You would think that TPTB given their tenuious position would want to create storylines that appeal to the audience yet again though they do the opposite it's odds on now just how low the ratings will fall making TPTB all April fools because they have just thown away what little chance they had of a season 8.

The ratings are pretty steady. They fluctuate very little considering the size of the audience. Also, for about the millionth time, not EVERYONE wanted Mac and Stella together and not everyone hates Jo or thinks Mac/Jo would be a bad idea. Stop trying to convince everyone that you and your five friends who agree with you represent all 10+ million fans of the show.

On the show I always thought of Mac and Stella as work colleagues and very close friends, nothing more (although my view in FanFiction is very different). I see Mac and Jo in a similar manner; they aren't close friends yet, but the potential is there. I don't mind the flirting but I don't want it to go any farther; just like I didn't want to see Mac and Stella become an item. TPTB on this show just can't seem to write adult relationships well. (Although Flack/Angell was an exception.) However, if NY is renewed [fingers crossed], and Mac/Jo did become a pair, I would still watch because the show as a whole and the characters in it are more important to me than certain irritants. There's enough good stuff to outweigh the not-so-good stuff. And I believe that is probably true for the majority of viewers.

ABC’s unscripted lineup bested CBS’s lineup of scripted dramas for supremacy with advertising coveted adults 18-49. Shark Tank was down a tenth from last week to a 1.2 adults 18-49 rating, but CBS’s lineup was down further.

As awful as the ratings for Chaos were last week in its premiere, they managed to get uglier, slipping 0.2 to a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating. CSI: NY (1.6) and Blue Bloods (1.5) were each down 0.2 from last Friday. Blue Bloods tied its season low with adults 18-49.

The season finale of Who Do You Think You? Are was steady, and won the 8pm hour with a 1.3 adults 18-49 rating.

Overnight broadcast primetime ratings for Friday, April 8, 2011:

source: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...Twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Not horrible. Not fabulous. Still winning the demo at least. But, Chaos does seem to be having an impact.

Hope the numbers pick up for the remaining eps. Have to observe that they've been pretty damned consistent for the whole season, even with the shift to Fridays. Guess we'll see.

I have been watching Season 7 and I must confess the episodes have been very boring. I am not sure it is to do with the story lines as I think if you have a good cast they can carry of the most stupid of story lines.

However, you do need to ask yourself that with a lost of a cast member would the ratings have been different? It can make a lot of difference especially if you replace that person with someone who lacks sparkle (an Emmy award actress does not necessary mean they can take on any role).

I think the producers tried to make the addition of the new character Jo too cosy, in reality a new person would not fit in that quickly, there would be one or two people who would resent her because she is not Stella, especially Adam and Sid. It would also be nice to occasionally have one or two of the characters mention Stella, she isn't dead, she has only moved to New Orleans. I would think Mac would really miss Stella as he did say he wouldn't do the job without her.

And to be honest I think Jo's character makes Mac very boring they are like a couple of old sofas (although Jo's ex-husband did seem to bring a bit of needed chemistry in the character). Even Peyton brought some life to Mac's character. Peyton appeared in Season 6 did we resolve whether they are still a couple?

Would it be the end of the world if CBS decided to give a newer programme another opportunity as I really would like to see CSI New York go out gracefully.

Yes steady in the demo. Given the Thursday shows (CSI, The Mentalist, TBBT etc.)took a hit, NY did pretty good.

Marc Berman on PI Feedback said this, which I thought was interesting:

...since CBS is unlikely to schedule three hours of the CSI franchise in the fall, the best CSI: NY can probably hope for is a midseason return.
Hmm...

Here's a bit of interesting info coming from Deadline:

CBS, which on Friday became the first network to begin screening its pilots, is once again among the most difficult to read.
DRAMA
The network is rumored to pick up 2 new drama series for fall and 2 more for midseason. The drama pilots that have been garnering the strongest early buzz are the Robert De Niro-produced cop drama ROOKIES, the Minnie Driver-starring PI show HAIL MARY and the UNTITLED SUSANNAH GRANT project directed by Jonathan Demme. Of the two CBS medical drama entries, SUSANNAH GRANT looks stronger than the Christine Lahti-starring and David Nutter-directed THE DOCTOR, raising the possibility that Nutter's streak of 16 consecutive pilots going to series may come to an end this year.
It sounds to me that NY has a great chance at coming back next season. The ratings, while not completely fantastic, are holding well for a Friday night. CHAOS is done, The Defenders is looking not so hot, Suspect Behavior is iffy, and Flashpoint is usually in contention for midseason placement. In my humble opinion NY is the most solid of CBS' bubble shows looking at a renewal.

Back