Season 5 Ratings

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Sep 25, 2008.

1. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

Being fast approaching 50 and from the UK, i've no idea who any of these 'stunt casting' people are, so probably just put them down to bad actors. Casting also does seem down to being "hot", rather than actual talent. Having seen the casting call here, hot seems to be against each character requirement.

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Absolutely. Being gorgeous, hot etc. does seem to be a common theme in the casting calls. I also agree with Fay, 'hip' casting does seem to be a bit of a theme for the show at the moment, but it hasn't been all bad.

I've been disappointed with a couple of episodes this season, ones that seemed to have promise but really didn't deliver, I also think there has been some pretty good episodes, that's why I'm sad to see this decline in ratings. I hope it isn't a trend that continues, I also hope that we get some great upcoming storylines. We'll see.

3. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

Sorry, I don't know how to pare down the quote, so just highlighted.

Hill being a better actor definately does help, he plays the character with a softness and gentleness that makes him appealing and interesting to watch. The idea of Sheldon having been a surgeon, ME and now CSI also gives him a lot of depth to me. I wondered why with these careers, he never feels he is doing enough for society and moves onto something more effective for changing the outcome of traumatic situations. Having shown the frustration and pain he suffered in the past, by being unable to protect his girlfriend, I understand more of why he has taken this journey.

Anna, in contrast, doesn't seem to know much about Lindsay, from Montana, and seems uncomfortable in the role. She certainly comes across as a fish out of water and I can't see how this can improve. Law and Order SVU had the same problem with the new character Lake, the actor there was out of his depth, but they had the courage to take the correct action and had the character written out.

4. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Obviously, I can't say with any certainty that the inclusion of the pregnancy is the reason for the drop in ratings. Alas, I'm not a walking Nielsen box. However, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the decision to include the pregnancy caused initial plans for the season to be significantly altered or, in some cases--the return of Jacqueline Pinol, for example--scrapped altogether. Thusfar, those modified plans haven't impressed me in the slightest and have brought nothing to the show. In fact, it's detracted from it in my opinion. The writers have been so giddily playing with their new wub bunnies and shoehorning in gratuitous appearances by celebrities of dubious talent that they've neglected to fully develop plot ideas to their fullest potential. "Rush" was a great idea that never truly got of the ground, and "Help" was an episode that utterly deflated at the end when neither Sheldon nor Kara were given the opportunity to express what the Gramercy Park Rapist meant for them. The episode wasn't open-ended, but unfinished, and I think that lack of attention to detail is a symptom of the PTB's fascination with the idee fixe of Danny and Lindsay's relationship drama.

Not that they've handled the pregnancy with any aplomb, either. Aside from one bout of hurling and Lindsay's one use of her condition as an excuse to be shamelessly smug with Mac, we haven't seen any consequences from that, either. I want to see Lindsay tossing her cookies at a crime scene or needing to sit down. Not much, mind, but just enough to know that the writers have acknowledged the consequences of pregnancy.

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

NY was up more than a million viewers from the last episode, but it's still under 13 million:

5.14 "She's Not There":

From PI Feedback, as usual.

I think it's kind of funny that NY is deemed the 'perfect fit out of Criminal Minds' when in actuality NY was around first. :p Although, to be honest, CM consistently gets better ratings, and this week it got 13.26 million despite being up against American Idol. So yeah...

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

It seems like NY is doing typically for the season. It starts out strong and then kind of settles into the 11-12 million range. As long as the ratings are good enough for it to stick around, I'm happy. ;)

I do like seeing it in Marc Berman's winner's column, though. ;) :D

7. Faylinn

Down again.

5.15 "The Party's Over":

From PI Feedback as usual.

8. Faylinn

Up a little bit from the last episode - I'll be interested to see if all of the online hype for 5.17 gets the viewing numbers up.

5.16 "No Good Deed":

From PI Feedback, as always.

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

The show seems to be holding pretty steady. Nice to see it continue to sit in first place!

10. Faylinn

It is a bit disappointing when Criminal Minds pulls bigger numbers against much heftier competition, though. I'm glad NY continues to win its timeslot, but if it was in a different timeslot, I don't know if it would stay on top.

11. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

Criminal Minds does seem like a much stronger show, script wise, and more likely to pull in an adult audience, so would get a tougher timeslot. Law and Order doesn't seem to be doing too well, are these repeats or have most folks given up on this now? I gave up a while ago but recently started watching series 15, as it's on immediately after CSI NY here, but haven't liked what I've seen so far.

12. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

i think slowly we going to go higher (and not because the baby storyline). Pity was the fact some scripts were so inconsistent this season :( or maybe some characters were so OOC )

debbs :)

13. Faylinn

Ok, I was looking for more exact numbers for "Life on Mars" since it came on a bit late, and when I looked at the broadcast finals for the hour, NY's ratings were a bit lower than I originally said:

Now that makes me wonder if they're usually a bit lower than the fast affiliate ratings or not...

14. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

15. Faylinn

Ooh, thanks for sharing, JellyBelly. :)

5.17 "Green Piece":

(PI Feedback link) Let's see if the show can keep those numbers, or if it's a flash in the pan.