Season 12 Spoiler Lab Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that Ted Danson has already finished filming his other series. That's why he can start right away. The two series film at different times.

I think the reason that there's been no information forthcoming about spoilers, etc. is because LF was expected to come back and that's the way the season premiere episode was written. The "foiler" we got a few weeks ago I think was what the plot was before LF decided not to come back. So they had to do rewrites while waiting for a replacement. Then Ted Danson was named as replacement, prompting further rewrites.

Everything I've read about Ted Danson's first episode of CSI suggests that the season opens sometime down the road from when we see Ray and the IA guy at the end of season 11. "They're still dealing with the fallout of the Haskell case" says to me that something has already happened at that process is continuing.

As for who said "no thank you" first, CBS or LF, I guess that depends on how one feels about the RL character. I read that CBS said "no thank you" in exactly one article. Everything else said LF was the one who declined whatever CBS was offering.

I'm not worrying about screentime and all of that just yet. I think it will be different with Ted than it was LF because LF was a big movie star, so they felt like they had to showcase him more. Ted Danson has been in ensemble tv show casts before ... even on Becker where he was the main character, it still showed plenty of the other characters. I'm not worried yet.

I'm just curious as to how the character will be written. Obviously since they said they are going for a more lighthearted approach, he hopefully won't arrive with a lot of backstory baggage. I don't want any kind of deep, dark secret or anything like that. Just make him a good, likeable character and get the show back to basics again. I have been seeing older episodes on Spike lately and can't believe how different it was. I'm longing for the good ol' days! :)

I think what some people tend to forget is that a new character is bound to get more attention in the beginning. Ted Danson's character has to "play catch up" in a sense because we will know nothing about him when the rest of the cast has been on the show for 11 seasons. Plus, he is the new male lead so that figures in to a good portion of screen time regardless of how long the character has been around.

Some people were annoyed because Jo from NY got a lot of focus in the beginning and some of the writing was very heavy handed in the beginning. But again, she was new and everyone else had been on for 5-6 seasons. With Jo things got better quickly (although if you ask people who want Stella back I'm sure they'll say the opposite) and the character settled in and became a good addition to the team for a lot of viewers.

IMO it's not so much screen time as how they handle the character that will be the deciding factor. I think him coming in as a supervisor will make things go a bit smoother because I think (as do a lot of others) that the main problem with Ray was more to do with his character acting like a seasoned veteran and a leader instead of being the new guy on the team with the least amount of CSI experience.

If they write Ted Danson & Elisabeth Harnois' characters introductions the way they wrote Sela Ward's on CSI:NY, I'm sure it will be a great season.

I agree. I think the NY writers did a pretty good job with Jo. I didn't find her overwhelming at all. So hopefully that is how the LV writers will do with Ted's character. :)

I largely agree that Sela/Jo was introduced very well. There were a couple of times in the very beginning when I :rolleyes: because it seemed they were going a bit overboard on the "Jo is awesome" stuff, but I considered that a victory since it could've been much, much worse.

At least Carol Mendelsohn didn't say "he was at the top of our dream list, with an incredible acting range" about Danson as she did with LF. And he was her baby, so I highly doubt that CBS said NO way Jose, cause' he sure did get a movie role pronto. $$$$ talks doesn't it? And as I repeat myself, this character Langston just played the role the writers gave him, to perfection, and Grissom offered him this job, & they wanted him to be exactly the way he was. Part mysterous, and intriguing and part a gentle soul, & team player, till creep-show Haskell brought out his dark side. I just hope the show is still exciting as well written as it's always been:thumbsup:And on CSI/NY I preferred Melina~

As for who said "no thank you" first, CBS or LF, I guess that depends on how one feels about the RL character. I read that CBS said "no thank you" in exactly one article. Everything else said LF was the one who declined whatever CBS was offering.

How does reading an article where CBS said 'no thank you' have anything to do with how someone feels about a character?

Yes one article said it was CBS and every other said it was him. Doesn't mean all those articles are correct.

And let's face it, we'll probably never know what really happened.

They're known to not always be 'truthful' for the reasons people leave. Gary Dourdan's exit is a perfect example of that. We all knew he was being fired, but it was never said in the articles at the time.

At least Carol Mendelsohn didn't say "he was at the top of our dream list, with an incredible acting range" about Danson as she did with LF. And he was her baby, so I highly doubt that CBS said NO way Jose, cause' he sure did get a movie role pronto. $$$$ talks doesn't it? And as I repeat myself, this character Langston just played the role the writers gave him, to perfection, and Grissom offered him this job, & they wanted him to be exactly the way he was. Part mysterous, and intriguing and part a gentle soul, & team player, till creep-show Haskell brought out his dark side. I just hope the show is still exciting as well written as it's always been:thumbsup:And on CSI/NY I preferred Melina~

Langston didn't play any role because he was a fictional character. And as I repeat myself, the writing makes the character (yes, along with the acting - but few on this board had a problem with LF's acting) so you can't seperate them out and say "it wasn't the character it was the writing."

Also, the fact that you preferred Melina doesn't mean Jo was introduced badly or that she didn't settle in with the team quickly.

How does reading an article where CBS said 'no thank you' have anything to do with how someone feels about a character?

Yes one article said it was CBS and every other said it was him. Doesn't mean all those articles are correct.

They're known to not always be 'truthful' for the reasons people leave. Gary Dourdan's exit is a perfect example of that. We all knew he was being fired, but it was never said in the articles at the time.

Here we go again.

You obviously made the original comment as a dig at Desertwind.

All I'm saying is that people are going to believe what they want to believe. They rationalize everything so it fits into their thinking. You believe CBS fired LF. I happen to believe that LF actually left to do movies. I believe that back in 2008 Jorja Fox left of her own accord. You believe it was about money. Whatever. I say potato, you say potahto. Does it really matter?

Here we go again.

You obviously made the original comment as a dig at Desertwind.

All I'm saying is that people are going to believe what they want to believe. They rationalize everything so it fits into their thinking. You believe CBS fired LF. I happen to believe that LF actually left to do movies. I believe that back in 2008 Jorja Fox left of her own accord. You believe it was about money. Whatever. I say potato, you say potahto. Does it really matter?

My comment had NOTHING to do with Desertwind. I responded to her before that I had read that. It had nothing do with her or a dig at her.

My second comment was based on your comment, not hers.

I never said I believe CBS fired LF. I really hate when people said I said something and didn't. All I said was I read somewhere that CBS didn't want him back. Where did I say I believed it?

I never said he left because of money. Never have. I don't think it was about money at all. I think it had to do with how the fans took to him.

As for Jorja, yes she left on her own accord, however I don't think it was for the reasons she stated. But again, we'll never know the truth.

I think the point was that if there are 3 articles saying A and one article saying B there is a psychological tendency to pick the article that supports how the reader actually feels rather than going with the one that has the most support to back it up.

Getting back to the reason for this thread, weren't we suppose to get some kind of article telling us some interesting facts...hmmm....Vegaslights?:cool:

I think the point was that if there are 3 articles saying A and one article saying B there is a psychological tendency to pick the article that supports how the reader actually feels rather than going with the one that has the most support to back it up.

Now that I could go with, but that isn't how I feel. I just mentioned the article that was it. I still think he left because of the fans. Maye tptb were tired of the negative feedback, maybe he was.

I think he was, but that's just me. And really I wouldn't blame him. We were all nasty, but it wasn't him. That is what I want him to understand.

Now that I could go with, but that isn't how I feel. I just mentioned the article that was it. I still think he left because of the fans. Maye tptb were tired of the negative feedback, maybe he was.

I think he was, but that's just me. And really I wouldn't blame him. We were all nasty, but it wasn't him. That is what I want him to understand.

Oh I wasn't signaling you out. Just expanding on my observation of what another poster was meaning.

And I think you might be right about the negative feedback getting to him. Just to get on my soapbox for a moment but we ALL get upset when someone says something about our favorite character yet we ALL tend to forget to be kind when we are speaking about a character we don't like because there is always someone out there who likes them...

Okay off of soapbox for now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back