Season 11 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, but really...this isn't the FBI following serial killers around the country (although logically that's what would probably happen). It's so unrealistic for CSIs, or even local cops, to do this.

The other part...I get. :) About how they are there anyway and the novelty of seeing them in another city. But man...sounds like the whole rest of the season is gonna be a big cluster. Hope it proves otherwise.

Well i'm not too sure how it works in America, but in the Uk if a police force has an interest in another individual currently residing in another police forces jurisdiction then they can request that they be allowed to arrest the individual themselves and collect any evidence.

In this case LV has the most history with Haskell and therefore might be extended the professional courtesy of dealing with Haskell (i.e Sofia invites them onboard to clean up their mess :)).

Here's a little quote that might help explain this to those outside the US:

"If the crime happens in one state, it is typically a state crime , unless it is an expressly named federal crime. But if a crime occurs throughout many states, or crosses state lines, it often becomes a federal crime.

The differences between federal and state crimes can be much more complicated. State crimes are typically all conduct that violates state laws, such as murder, traffic violations, and other areas where conduct is completely encompassed in the state. Federal crimes are specifically enumerated federal offenses, such as IRS violations, mail fraud, kidnapping, counterfeiting, damaging or destroying mailboxes, and immigration offenses.

When a crime committed seems that it could be charged as a state crime or a federal crime, the US Constitution’s “Supremacy Clause” states that federal law will trump state law, and the federal authorities will take the case over."

In the case of Haskell, he fled over state lines and appears to be holding one of his "brides" as hostage. Since he escaped a Nevada prison and is now a kidnapper (a federal crime) in California, that makes his crimes interstate - thus the jurisdiction of the Feds and the FBI. So basically, LVPD would have little jurisidiction over this case. It would be up to the Feds to decide how much they can assist in it.

Oh, and it should be noted that generally States act independently of each other and may not feel open to working alongside another's law enforcement. It depends on the variables of the case...

^^^^^
Exactly and certainly NO CSI would be sent to handle the case. At most the detective in charge of the case might be sent to 'help' or 'fill them in', but yeah, it would be the FBI handling it now. And they 'might' elicit help from local authorities.

ETA: It'll be cool to have Ricci as Ecklie's daughter, however I was kind of hoping they would have her transfer to Vegas, become a CSI and drive her dad nuts. :lol: It could have been and interesting dynamic having her on the team. :lol:

Last edited:
^^^^^
Exactly and certainly NO CSI would be sent to handle the case. At most the detective in charge of the case might be sent to 'help' or 'fill them in', but yeah, it would be the FBI handling it now. And they 'might' elicit help from local authorities.

ETA: It'll be cool to have Ricci as Ecklie's daughter, however I was kind of hoping they would have her transfer to Vegas, become a CSI and drive her dad nuts. :lol: It could have been and interesting dynamic having her on the team. :lol:

They might. Shane's article suggests that possibility. But if so then I hope she wouldn't come in as the new female lead...in the cast OR on the team. Depends I guess on what her current job is and how long she's been at it.

I think Christina Ricci's great. She has had some interesting roles in her career. I have a hard time picturing her doing CSI regularly, although it would be a great catch for CBS. Truth be told, I'm not sure I want to think of her as Ecklie's daughter everytime I see her. Yikes!

I've had to give up worrying about job discriptions, jurisdictions, and conflict of interest issues where CSI is concerned. They've always bent the rules for the sake of drama. I'm still not looking forward to the finale; but, I did like the cast pic on the pic thread (thanks, Shane!) so it isn't a total waste. :)

Last edited:
I know, but really...this isn't the FBI following serial killers around the country (although logically that's what would probably happen). It's so unrealistic for CSIs, or even local cops, to do this.

The other part...I get. :) About how they are there anyway and the novelty of seeing them in another city. But man...sounds like the whole rest of the season is gonna be a big cluster. Hope it proves otherwise.

Well i'm not too sure how it works in America, but in the Uk if a police force has an interest in another individual currently residing in another police forces jurisdiction then they can request that they be allowed to arrest the individual themselves and collect any evidence.

In this case LV has the most history with Haskell and therefore might be extended the professional courtesy of dealing with Haskell (i.e Sofia invites them onboard to clean up their mess :)).

Here's a little quote that might help explain this to those outside the US:

"If the crime happens in one state, it is typically a state crime , unless it is an expressly named federal crime. But if a crime occurs throughout many states, or crosses state lines, it often becomes a federal crime.

The differences between federal and state crimes can be much more complicated. State crimes are typically all conduct that violates state laws, such as murder, traffic violations, and other areas where conduct is completely encompassed in the state. Federal crimes are specifically enumerated federal offenses, such as IRS violations, mail fraud, kidnapping, counterfeiting, damaging or destroying mailboxes, and immigration offenses.

When a crime committed seems that it could be charged as a state crime or a federal crime, the US Constitution’s “Supremacy Clause” states that federal law will trump state law, and the federal authorities will take the case over."

In the case of Haskell, he fled over state lines and appears to be holding one of his "brides" as hostage. Since he escaped a Nevada prison and is now a kidnapper (a federal crime) in California, that makes his crimes interstate - thus the jurisdiction of the Feds and the FBI. So basically, LVPD would have little jurisidiction over this case. It would be up to the Feds to decide how much they can assist in it.

Oh, and it should be noted that generally States act independently of each other and may not feel open to working alongside another's law enforcement. It depends on the variables of the case...

If we were to go by this would CSI: Miami or CSI: NY even exist? :lol:

If we were to go by this would CSI: Miami or CSI: NY even exist? :lol:

I was waiting on someone to mention this! :lol:

I really can't remember the circumstances in the original cross-overs, so no comment. I do remember in the trilogy cross-over of last season, Horatio called Vegas. So that could be seen as Miami opening up the investigation for LVPD. But since that whole case was about human trafficking, that would have been a federal investigation...

So as jtd94 said, this is the CSI-verse and anything goes. :lol:

^^^^^

They might. Shane's article suggests that possibility. But if so then I hope she wouldn't come in as the new female lead...in the cast OR on the team. Depends I guess on what her current job is and how long she's been at it.

Or if her dad is the one doing the hiring. :p

All I can say is that with the casting of Ricci, tptb must have envisioned the character as taking after her mother. :lol:

I don't really know Ricci, but all the good comments I'm hearing or reading I guess I should say so far has me a little excited

I'd love her to come on too, between driving Ecklie nuts and the new quips we'd likely see from Brass....and maybe we'd even get some more Brass backstory, given his own father-child issues. (even if she isn't his bio-daughter.)

I want her to get mentioned in the LA ep but if it's Brass-less (it is, right?) I doubt it.

This gal resembles Ecklie better anyway than Christina to me, if that is possible:confused: So we at least know there is indeed a S/12:bolian:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back