Season 11 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phyllis Frelich is quite possible the second most famous deaf actress in the US. She's done more stage work than TV. Some of her stuff is up at ibdb (Broadway ;) ) She's seriously a phenomenal actress and a huge coup!

Photo

Yay! the casting of Marlee Matlin and Phyllis Frelich to be on CSI just made my day! I remember few tv appearances that Marlee Matlin made over the years, beside the recent appearance from 4 years ago on CSI:NY with my old high school friend of mine Amber was in it. I never expect that my dream came true that Marlee is making her appearance on CSI the original, my favorite show. :)

No Grissom. :(

'CSI' exclusive: Time to meet Gil's long lost mom!
Get ready for the mother of all CSI episodes, because we’re about to meet Gil Grissom’s long lost mother! EW has learned exclusively that Tony award-winning actress Phyllis Frelich will play the role of Mrs. Grissom — and go head-to-head with the new Mrs. Grissom — in an episode tentatively scheduled to air Feb. 3.

Here are the details: A murder occurs at a school for the deaf where Grissom’s mom is a professor. Sara (Jorja Fox) goes to investigate but ends up facing an unexpected challenge — a surprising lack of affection from her mother-in-law. Apparently, Grissom’s mom never felt that Sara was the one for her beloved Gil so the two women have a few fences to mend. The episode also stars Oscar winner Marlee Matlin as a school colleague who not only serves as Mrs. Grissom’s protege but used to date Gil. Guess who momma Grissom prefers?

Sadly, William Petersen won’t appear in the episode. (Fans are supposed to think that Gil is contantly on the move so he and Sara maintain a long-distance relationship.) But the story is a continuation of an arc that started way back in season one’s memorable “Sound of Silence” episode, in which we first learn that our hero can sign because he grew up with a deaf mother.

Frelich, who is deaf, won a Tony Award for her work in the 1980 Broadway production of Children of a Lesser God — the play that inspired the movie of the same name that starred Matlin, who won an Oscar for her role. Frelich has also appeared in numerous TV shows, including ER, Diagnosis: Murder and L.A. Law

Impressed with the casting choices, very good IMO at least Frelich cause I've seen her work. But I think it's great that the women cast are hearing impaired and they have quite the resume.

Not impressed that we are supposed to deduce that Grissom moves a lot and that their relationship is long distance. I know that a lot of people have written that they see nothing weird about that but I'm just not convinced. GSR is the worst ship of the whole franchise (IMO and nothing more) but even though I've never liked them together it makes no sense to me that they have decided to write them this way.

Wait. We're supposed to believe that Grissom's mother has been in Vegas and teaching this whole time and we've never heard or seen from her? :wtf: In fact, most of us thought she was dead!

Wait. We're supposed to believe that Grissom's mother has been in Vegas and teaching this whole time and we've never heard or seen from her? :wtf: In fact, most of us thought she was dead!

Exactly! If Grissom's mother was that close, why wouldn't we have had some inkling of her when Gil almost went deaf? Didn't he have contact with the school during another case, or when he was contemplating surgery? Maybe Gil and his mother were not on the best of terms prior to his marriage to Sara? Too many questions, but I'm not sure any of them will be answered. Arrrrrrgh.

Yeah, I am still not so sure about this episode. It sounds very poorly put together with too many things that will have us going 'huh?' I find it hard to believe his mother has been a Professor all these years in LV and we never knew. Poor writing just to start with.

This is incredible news! Both Phyllis and Marlee; couldn't ask for better casting.
I might even forgive them the Beiber episodes if this one is done well.
I'm beyond excited!

Yeah it does indeed seem a little weird. Though, there is the possibility that she could only be there temporarily, you know, like a guest professor, sort of how Grissom was when he met Sara in San Fran. To me that is more believable, and it is likely the direction that the writers are headed.

But remember its just a spoiler, which are often foggy and off and easily changed in the two-three months of the episode airing.

Lets just wait and see.

Finally some news, I've been stalking around this site and others lately for news about this and the Gregisode, my prays have finally been answered, now where's the spoiler pics??? :lol::)

Interesting casts choices, I don't really know either actress but that's ok

So his mother has been a professor in Vegas for awhile now or did she come there recently?? I hope this is explained in the ep, and I hope they mention the case from Sounds of Silence

Natavity17, please do not use the word "hearing impaired" that is considered a offensive word to a deaf person. I'm deaf person I don't considered myself hearing impaired, just a deaf person who can't hear. I suggest you use the "deaf" word next time in future.

I can't wait to see the scenes between Jorja Fox and Marlee Matlin in the episode, which makes me thinking that Jorja can adapt her learning to use the ASL in the show. I have no idea how William did it himself when he filmed that episode Sound of Silence 11 years ago.

Natavity17, please do not use the word "hearing impaired" that is considered a offensive word to a deaf person. I'm deaf person I don't considered myself hearing impaired, just a deaf person who can't hear. I suggest you use the "deaf" word next time in future.

I honestly thought it was the other way around and that using deaf would be offensive. I debated between the two for quite a while. I really thought I made the right call so I'm sorry if I offended you because I really did not mean to. At least now I know.

I honestly thought it was the other way around and that using deaf would be offensive. I debated between the two for quite a while. I really thought I made the right call so I'm sorry if I offended you because I really did not mean to. At least now I know.

Thats all right, well lets move on so lets get back to the topic, I'm happy for Greg to get his own episode, and that kiss thing, I recall back in season 2 that Sara told him "I could really kiss you right now" Greg never got that kiss from her, so I'm glad that he finally gets the kiss first time in what 11 years.

Marlee Matlin's playing the ex? Wow! That's awesome! I've already liked her. I've never heard of the woman playing Gil's mother though... but looking at the picture, I agree that she does look like she could be his mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back