"Say Uncle" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

On solving the who did it, Grissom in the end by re-inacting the scene, found out that the kid did kill his mom, not Riley. And I thought Nick and the rest excpt Cath, were in it equally, with Brass and Gil the most. I can't believe fans are disecting this new character so soon: and if she wasn't in it very much, then fans would say "where's Riley, the new girl" no pleasing everyone..(but then again some find faults and insults more suited, then praise and compliments:confused: I say give the new person a bigger chance. And I miss Sara terribly so I'm trying to stay neutral;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. Criminologist86

Criminologist86 Pathologist

OH YES; let's talk about Hodges for a while! *laughs out loud*

He is SUCH a goofball in the field! SUCH a goof...between getting the sliver on his first try and then finding the evidence they needed with the opening of ONE garbage can this time...Hodges needs to go back to his happy place in the lab ;p Congrats on surviving field work, now get back in there! :)

myfuturecsi I would like to think they hear us, too...after all, we ARE, as you said, the HARDCORE-in-it-for-the-long-run CSI fans...was it a news-y mag or do you remember? I vaugely remember reading something about something about SOMETHING (*takes a breath*) about these boards being the best around....I don't know ;)

"What am I?" *shrugs* "I don't know what I am"

Sorry. HAD to end it with that... ;P

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I don't think Riley is a mary sue. A Mary Sue is generally a character who is great at everything they do. Riley was completely wrong about the shooting and not to mention she made a mistake twice in last night's episode. A Mary Sue would get everything right all the time and would never make a mistake. I like that they are giving Riley some flaws. That's all part of being human. No one's perfect. :lol:

Its funny that you mentioned Invisible Man, cause I was just thinking of that (before I read that part of your post lol). Alex Monroe was probably the closest thing to a Mary Sue as I remember in a tv show. :lol: I don't think she and Riley act a like though. Alex was more of the "I'm tough physically and I know it and will use it" type. Riley seems more emotionally tough than physically tough. Alex wasn't afraid of anything physically where as Riley seemed pretty worried about getting shot last night. :lol:

I tolerated Alex, but that's about as far as it went. I like Riley a lot though, partially due to the fact that I like the actress cause I remember her from Mutant X. :lol: That probably helps. When Iman brought in the Alex character, I'd never heard of Brandy Ledford before and I don't think many Iman fans had. :lol: So, I think it helps at least a little when it's an actress that some people are familiar with.

I do agree though that the writers are trying too hard to make everyone like Riley. And I don't get it. :lol: Just let her be herself. :lol:

I also liked the Alt Crime lab. Very interesting idea.

And the Hodges scene was kind of funny. I still don't understand why they keep bringing him into the field.

I do want to say though that I liked Nicky's striped shirt. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  4. Criminologist86

GregNickyRyanFan I think that Riley is close enough to a Mary Sue to warrant the name...she DID stand up to Grissom too soon and does seem to have a general air of "I'm smart and don't question me cos I'm as good as you' about her...which bugs the crap outta me....but whatever.

Maybe the writers are 'hard' on her because they hear a lot of people don't like her? I don't know...I think you have to be comfortable with a character in order to include them a lot, but with Riley nobody seems comfortable with her...in that sense..even on-screen I feel like character/actor/actress interactions are awkward..Riley's stiff and cold and just doesn't seem to fit in yet.

My 2 cents worth ;)

5. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I liked it, it was a very shocking twist. I think Grissom (and me) didn't think of the kid being the one because he felt sorry for him because he was ill. Very unexpected and sad.

I am glad Grissom was more less back to normal, guess Lady H gave him what he needed last week.

Loved how Riley stood up to Grissom and together they figured out what really happened.

Loved how much Greg was in the episode, guess Eric finally got some decent screentime in his contract since Gary left. Way to go!

6. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Untacking feel free to continue the discussion. :)

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

On Riley, who doesn't like her?:confused: I thought from prior posts & prior episodes, she was a gift from heaven. I remember when Sofia was new, and go so much slack, most fans couldn't stand her, and then that chick who lasted one day [forget her name] Nick and Warrick had a bet on her. And then Ronnie she was sweet, but annoying, and she disappeared real fast. Mia seemed to be liked by eveyone, what happend to her? So this Riley is NEW, how can someone like or not like a new person, especially seeing her 4 times? In the workplace most co-workers are kind to a newbie. Time will tell on this new CSI, lets give a chance:thumbsup:

8. Criminologist86

Question: if the writers are somehow uncomfortable with Riley still, does that flow down to US, the fans? :)

9. GregNickRyanFan

The way she was with Grissom is a character flaw (which everyone has). Mary Sues typically don't have any character flaws. A character thinking they're flawless isn't the same as them actually being flawless. It's a mary sue when everyone else thinks the character's flawless and can do no wrong. That is clearly not the case with Riley. She's been "reprimanded" by both Nick and Grissom and sort of by Catherine (when she made the drug joke in Art Imitates Life). I think that's great that they are giving her flaws already. I think she may come across has having a bit of an ego at times (though I don't think it's her intention).

I don't think she thinks she's as good as Grissom. I just think she feels like he's treating her like a newbie in the CSI field when she's a Level 2 and doesn't think she should be treated like a newbie (which can be understood- it's the equivalent of a teenager not wanting to be treated like a child). But then again, Grissom tends to treat everyone like that. :lol: He did it both with Greg and Nicky (and has also done it with Catherine on ocassion and maybe even Sara and with Warrick as well). I think Riley can be a bit defensive sometimes, but that's probably stems from the fact that she has shrinks for parents.

I think it's not that they're not comfortable with her, it's just that they are maybe afraid of getting to know someone new and then something happening to that person, so they are trying to stay indifferent.

And at least we can be grateful that the CSI ptb aren't as bad as the Miami ptb are about throwing an actress' assets in the viewers faces. I mean yeah, every once in a while Catherine wears a low cut shirt or something, but it's become less frequent as of late. And they seem to always have Riley fairly covered up. So, thank goodness for that at least. :lol:

Let me go in a different direction here for a second. By having Riley question Grissom, I think that what they are trying to protray is that Grissom is losing his objectiveness (not sure if that's the right word, forgive me I'm a little under the weather right now lol) in a sense... which will probably be part of the reason why Grissom leaves. Although in last night's episode, Grissom seemed to be back to his old self, previous episodes have shown him to be losing faith in his ability to lead his team. I am not in any way putting Grissom down cause I like the guy and I particularly loved him last night. But, I think Grissom is starting to realize that its time for him to move on and let someone else take the reigns.

One thing I wanted to ask (but forgot to earlier lol) about last night's episode is: Was Park confused about what actually took place? Did it seem like he had blocked out the fact that he had been the one who shot his mother? Or was he just flat out lying? I didn't understand the writers' intention on that.

I felt the same way. I don't think anyone expected the kid to be the shooter. And you couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor little guy. I don't think he should be prosecuted for killing his mother cause he was in a way acting in self defense of a third party (the uncle whom he apparently loved more than he did his mother and with darn good reason).

Yeah, that's true. I guess she did help him a lot. I just hope that Natalie doesn't undo all of that progress next week. :lol:

I like that they let both of their theories be wrong. I like it when anyone questions Grissom cause he can't be right all the time. And whereas Grissom makes or has made some of the characters nervous (ie Greg, Henry, Hodges to an extent, etc), Riley is not intimidated by him.

I too loved all the Greg-ness in this episode. My favorite scene has to be the one with Cavalier when Cavalier got hurt and Greg was so concerned and checking him for wounds. :)

I didn't dislike Sofia, but I didn't like how she was all flirty flirty with Grissom either. That really bugged me. :lol: It was just weird, but I grew to respect and like Sofia and I wish she'd come back personally. Oh and that reminds me, that first scene last night when it first showed Riley from the side and you couldn't see her face very well, for a second I thought it was Sofia. :lol: And the girl whose name you can't remember, that was Holly Gribbs. I liked her. I was sad when they killed her off.

I agree about Ronnie. She did seem sweet, but asked way too many questions. Sara got annoyed with her and I did too. :lol: As for Mia, I liked her alright until she got snarky with Greg and was all "Sara said you didn't lose your virginity until you were 22". That made me want to smack her. That comment was just so uncalled for. :lol:

I don't think they're uncomfortable with Riley. I think they're uncomfortable or for a better word unsure of the show's future due to the fact that Billy's leaving and so many polls are indicating that they may lose some viewers due to that. And I think that somehow is reflecting in the way they are writing all of the characters, not just Riley.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  10. Criminologist86

GregNickRyanFan: Good question, I don't know what the writers were doing there, either...Cos after I read that, and thought about it, you were right; the lines between him lying and blocking the event out are really, really blurred.

11. GregNickRyanFan

Yeah, they really were blurred. But given the fact that he'd been over-medicated, I'd lean more toward him blocking it out. Maybe another side effect of the medication is that he has memory blocks. But the fact that Grissom made that guy stop medicating him helped give the boy a little more clairty but it still wasn't 100% clear in his head? Maybe the writers meant to leave it up to audience interpretation. :shrugs:

Does anyone know which one of the writers penned this episode?

12. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Well the meds were black box meds which means they could elicit all types of side effects including aggressive behaviors, possible black outs, I guess it is up to the viewer to decide. And was it my imagination or was Park smiling a little at the end...I think he was and that g-tube had been removed.....maybe he will be better off in the system than with a drug addict mother. For fanfiction writers this would be a jewel post episode story!

13. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

From page/post one. ;)

WRITTEN BY: Dustin Lee Abraham
    DIRECTED BY: Richard J. Lewis

14. Criminologist86

I'm digging audience interpretation :p

Sometimes I think "DANGIT, shoulda stayed in nursing" and then I go "naaaaw..." heehee (I'm a Criminology major...ok...fine. *gets off of soapbox*)

15. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Dustin Lee Abrham also wrote Snakes from Season 5. He seems to write episodes involving a culture or aspect of a culture that is rather interesting.