Sara Sidle Returns

i find it refreshing that in the poll placed after the article Kimbo08 posted a link for, 73% are glad Sara's coming back and only 23% said they are 'over her'. over 112,000 people voted in it (it's an aol website), so i think it gives away a trend that majority of CSI viewers are happy to see her again.

in response to Destiny, who has quite a lot of valid points, i think CSI has no time to wait for next seasons. simply b/c the show dropped in ratings so much after WP left and new characters came in, that it does not have a guaranteed S11 in sight. TPTB are trying to boost the ratings as much as they can and they should thank heavens that they don't have as much of a competition from other shows like they had during S7. GA is old and nobody gets excited about it anymore, at least not to the extent people used to when the show was newer. TPTB desperately need an episode that will bring on the numbers, but with Ray or Railey, or whatever her name is, nothing seems to draw people in. only Catherine, Nick or Greg have the potential to do it, but TPTB don't seem to want to exploit what they have.

coming back to the old storylines or already tried techniques is passive. it's obvious TPTB are getting scared of trying something new. probably got burned after Mascara didn't get as much viewer acclaim as they thought it would. so now, getting back to what's old and successful in the past, CSI is playing safe. is there no more creativity left? or maybe the show's just getting old.

nevertheless, i'm really happy Sara/Jorja is coming back, cuz it means more info on what's going on with GSR and that means lots of new fanfic. :p

i find it refreshing that in the poll placed after the article Kimbo08 posted a link for, 73% are glad Sara's coming back and only 23% said they are 'over her'. over 112,000 people voted in it (it's an aol website), so i think it gives away a trend that majority of CSI viewers are happy to see her again.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. 112,000 people are no representative of the millions of people that watch the show. All that poll proves is the GSR fans vote more than non-GSR fans. So no it does not give away a trend that the majority of CSI viewers are happy to see her again.

I think bringing back Sara is a mistake. You said itself, going back to old story lines and already tried true techniques is passive. Bringing Sara back is that. It just brings back old story lines and we get to hear her, again, how she can't do the job.

Even though I don't want her back, I am glad for the Sara fans though. Who wouldn't be happy to have their favorite character come back.

I do agree with you about GA, though. I think it's losing steam too. People are tired of the stupid story lines on that show.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. 112,000 people are no representative of the millions of people that watch the show. All that poll proves is the GSR fans vote more than non-GSR fans. So no it does not give away a trend that the majority of CSI viewers are happy to see her again.

That poll is really not that good of an accurate reading of anything. You didn't even have to sign in to vote which means that the same person could vote multiple times from multiple computers. There is absolutely no way to be 100% sure that every one of those numbers was a different person. It's highly possible that a large number of people voted multiple times from multiple computers/accounts. I don't trust these kinds of online polls at all.

The majority of CSI fans do not even go online. It might be slightly more accurate to say that the majority of online CSI fans want her back, but not the majority of all CSI fans. The online fans are a much smaller number than one would think. They do not represent all CSI fans.

Also, some of the people that voted may be like me, voted for one option because there wasn't a middle option. There was only "yes" or "no". Me, I'm kind of neutral. I don't mind her back if the storyline is good and not just having her reduced to the female lead in a romantic drama or something. :lol:

I do not like the reason the spoilers say she's back.
Cath does not need help from Sara to be able to function as a supervisor. That just makes no sense to me. If anyone could help Cath with that (if she needed help), it would be Brass (he used to be supervisor, remember ptb?) The idea that Sara is back to help the team be more cohesive just doesn't sit right with me. That says to me that tptb couldn't come up with a decent storyline for the character, so they made up this nonsense storyline that Cath isn't effective and needs help to be effective. Give me a break!
Sara was a good individual character and deserves a better storyline than that as do her fans!

Online polls are never scientific and some people can vote over and over again.

That poll is really not that good of an accurate reading of anything. You didn't even have to sign in to vote which means that the same person could vote multiple times from multiple computers. There is absolutely no way to be 100% sure that every one of those numbers was a different person. It's highly possible that a large number of people voted multiple times from multiple computers/accounts. I don't trust these kinds of online polls at all.
oh yeah, sure. internet polls are of zero scientific importance. numbers are usually skewed and the fact that 73% says one thing in it, doesn't mean that number has anything to do with truth.

however, this poll bares some significance to me. first thing is that aol is not a CSI fan website but it's a place for general public. it's usually the average CSI viewers that clicked on the article to see what's going on, and later voted. i kinda doubt they would come back, erase cookies and vote again like maniacs cuz most people are not crazy passionate about it like it happens on this board sometimes. besides, even if they were, it means anti-Sara people could do the same, and they would more or less erase each other out. percentages wouldn't change much. unless there is more Sara fans. and that just proves she is more liked than disliked anyway.

i said 'trend' on purpose. i think the sheer number of people (112,000) is enough to think this poll draws a picture that majority (meaning more than half) is probably happy to see her. a normal sample in most valid polls is 1,000 random guys. sometimes it's a little more, sometimes a little less. so yeah, i find it believable that those results show a trend and aren't skewed for more than 25 percentage points.

Online polls are never scientific and some people can vote over and over again
that too, but it's mostly the fact that the sample isn't random (like it is with telephone polls for instance). the voters are those who have strong enough feelings about the subject to express their opinion by voting in a public poll. people are generally ambivalent to many subjects, and there might be, for instance, a small group of haters who vote everywhere they can, while the general public accepts the issue. they become outliers who skew results significantly.

ETA:
and in that Sara poll those outliers were probably eaten by the big number of voters. *shrugs*

Last edited:
I think what some are forgetting is that there are so many fans of CSI that do not use computers ie, the many members of my family. They don't like Sara, but have no access to the AOL or any other online poll. So their votes go uncounted. It also goes the same way for people who do like Sara who don't have computers. There are just too many exceptions to the poll. And only 112,000 took it out of the 15 Mil+ viewers CSI gets on average.

in statistics 1,000 to 5,000 out of, let's say, 25 million is enough to conduct a poll. actually, it doesn't really matter how many millions of people we try to convert into a sample. it's mathematically proven that a sample of 1,000-5,000 random people gives a possible error of about +/- 3 percentage points which is enough for poll's purposes. bigger samples correct this number by small fractions. the higher the number of studied opinions, the smaller the fractions the results are corrected by. it's pure math.

economically speaking taking huge samples is absolutely impractical. the costs of the study are getting higher while the results are getting changed only by smaller and smaller franctions.

take a look at political polls made during elections. in my country, where we have about 25 million people who can vote, hardly ever you see a poll made on more than a 1,000 people. and they are usually right.

but i absolutely agree that there are a zillion factors with internet polls that make them unreliable. all i say is that this one, with its specific characteristics i described in my previous post, proves to me that the majority is happy Sara is back.

I think what some are forgetting is that there are so many fans of CSI that do not use computers ie, the many members of my family. They don't like Sara, but have no access to the AOL or any other online poll. So their votes go uncounted. It also goes the same way for people who do like Sara who don't have computers. There are just too many exceptions to the poll. And only 112,000 took it out of the 15 Mil+ viewers CSI gets on average.

About the 15 million viewers thing: aren't those 15 million reported viewers who attribute to the rating numbers only those who are filling out the Nielsen surveys? Or are there other ways they figure out the number of viewers? Now that everything tv wise has gone digital can they tell who is watching what channel at whatever time? I'm not sure I really fully understand how they determine the number of viewers beyond the Nielsen thing (which I've only participated in twice).

So let me get this right. We're sitting here trying to prove to each other that the "majority" of fans want or don't want Sara back on the show?? :rolleyes: Neither "side" is going to be able to convince the other. Does anyone really care what anyone else thinks? It is what it is. Or rather, whatever it is once we've seen it. I think I'll reserve judgment until then.

I agree with Adzix on more want her back then don't, regardless of 'polls' I as a sales rep, talk to many different kinds of contacts/people and some don't even watch CSI, but I haven't heard one negative response about the ones who do watch and Sara returning. There is a reason which we know nothing of. I don't think Jorja Fox begged them "oh please can I come back" it was them, who I'll bet who contacted her. The reasons could be something no one has even thought of. I like the whole original team which she was part of, and will be great to see most of them back, together. And on ratings, if fans read the Media thread on ratings going way back, CSI pretty much was always up there in the top 10, so it's not that. I'm curious to see what they've go up their sleeves, Here's another article from Naren Shankar and Carol Mendolsohn, about her return~

ARTICLE

COURTESY OF JAA

Last edited:
Oh, I definitely agree that it was probably tptb who contacted her rather than the other way around. I think a couple of times last season the ratings slipped a little and it scared the crap out of them and I think they are trying to prevent that from happening this season by the promise of Sara being back for a few eps. If they really want it to work then they are going to have to spread out her appearances (that may get some to watch all eps rather than just the ones they know she'll be in) rather than have them back to back.

Last edited:

There are also a lot of the fans of the show who do use the Internet, but they don't mess around with sites like this, or don't really bother with online polls.

Honestly, I'm not sure how many people do/don't want her back, I do know it's a divisive issue for many fans of the show.

I'm not so anti Jorja, or even Anti-GSR. I don't like the way that it took over the show in the seventh season, and I don't like the idea that she left, and TPTB are trying to do whatever they can to get ratings since Petersen left. They decided to ditch Lauren Lee Smith, are bringing Fox back, Petersen may not be far behind....It just speaks to a lack of confidence in the current regulars. That's just a shame.

i'm excited that Jorja Fox is returning for a few eps. i will definetly be skipping Grey's Anatomy for those eps. i've missed her and i think the show the people that work on it all around miss her and the character. Sara was and always will be an intriguing character and there was so much left for her to do that i think it's also why they keep bringing her back besides for a good ratings boost.

I'm truly not anti-Jorja. I'm more anti-stupidity. Especially on TPTB's side of the tracks. I know it may seem like a HATE Jorja. I really don't. I think it's pathetic for people to hate actors. It's lame. I just hate the fact that she gets to come and go as she pleases and the remaning actors storylines get jeopardized in the process. The thing that bothers me about the situation is the fact that TPTB have no real faith in the remaining originals. I don't have a problem with Jorja saying "Yeah, I'll come back." What was she supposed to do, say no to a fat paycheck? That would be insane on her part. So, I'm not mad at a working actor who needs money in the bank.

I'm mad that her character gets to come in and save the day, when there were characters that were perfectly capable of doing that on their own.

^ you have a point. thing is, nobody's gonna watch an episode only b/c, let's say, Greg's in it. or Nick. cuz they are always there, they never left. and there are no personal storylines connected to these characters. they are just there as tools to say 'this is a caliber 44' or 'her eyeball looks weird' or 'i got a theory but it's, duh, wrong cuz we're just starting out the episode!' at least that's what they got reduced to.

Cath, Grissom, Sara and even Warrick got more personal storylines than the rest of the team. there was a buzz about Grissom and Sara over the years, which made a bunch of people curious about it, while the others weren't too happy. what mattered was that it was talked about. a lot.

it doesn't mean that all the audience is looking for is personal storylines, those guys watch GA, but they bring those characters closer to the viewers who get to know them better and better and later want to see them again. especially if the character left a season ago and had the only canon long-time affair on the show lasting for years.

not to say there is something wrong with Nick or Greg. they are just characters that hadn't been exploited much in that area. as some of you complain, their personalities seem to have faded, especially Greg's. i mean, if there was something new revealed about them we never guessed before, or if Nick grew a 'Grissom beard' or whatever, we would become more curious about them again. instead, they don't have this signature trait that would differentiate them from all the other CSI guys in the franchise or on TV in general. they are just good looking guys. Nick is traditional, sincere, smart, a bit sensitive and romantic, while Greg's the used-to-be-funny kid who grew up. the only way you can do something interesting with them that will bring millions to watch is put them in a life threatening episode. and we've seen that already too many times to count.

Back