Sara Sidle Returns

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Jul 18, 2009.

1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

2. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

Agree 99% with the above, except for the fact that I feel like Nick has had MORE than enough times to shine, and I say that as a HUGE GE/NS fan. Boom, Turn, Turn, Turn, Gumdrops, Snakes, and Stalker just to name a few. But, I'm straying from the topic of the thread...

And Adzix, the fact that they never left should mean they get more screentime and better storylines over people who have.

3. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

that's all true if you are a Nick and Greg fan, myfuturecsi. :) to me, they stopped being significant and lost big parts of their personalities. *shrugs* but it's just a TV show, it's not real.

oh and btw, a billion characters on TV are courageous, honest and generally great. and that became somewhat bland a long time ago.

EDIT:

true. but i think S10 might be too late for that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  4. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Just like I found Sara to be boring, whiney, and with a huge sense of entitlement because of her 'relationship' with Grissom from season four onward..

5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

They didn't lose their personalities. The real truth is that the writers lost their motivation for those characters (or rather completely abandonded and neglected those characters' development) because they put 95% of their focus on other characters. I don't blame the more focused on characters, but some do and that is why we see the negativity that we see regarding the more focused on characters. TPTB created that. They made the mistake of not balancing the focus on all the characters of what they claimed from the very beginning to be an ENSEMBLE show.

If they writers hadn't put more than half of the focus on only a few characters, I honestly believe we wouldn't see the kind of negativity towards those characters [who got/get the majority of the focus] that we see. But some people resent the characters who've gotten way too much focus when it comes at the expense of other great characters not getting much focus and being reduced to virtually nothing more than clue finders or whatnot.

Some people still love to see characters who are courageous and honest. I'm one of them. Especially in this world today when there is so much in the way of horrible crimes against others going on. It's nice to see someone who is a good person, honest and courageous. I do like some characters to make mistakes and seem realistic like human beings. They don't have to be perfect, but they can be heroic without being perfect. That isn't bland or boring to me, it's refreshing because of the crap I hear on the news every night. Some people watch tv to escape reality, not relive it... that's where the honest, brave characters come in. Some like to see that because it gives them hope.

One or two episodes a season doesn't really cut it when some other characters get many more than that, but yeah Nick's gotten more than Greg has that's for sure. Poor Greg has been left in the dust more times than not.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

100 per cent accurate there. GNRF. I don't think I've ever seen a more unbalanced show. No character's development should be sacrificed for another. When that happens, this is what you get, huge resentment towards the character.

And I have to wonder, if the writers ever wanted to turn their attention to Nick or Greg, were their efforts thwarted by the fans in their attempts, or were they thwarted by the Carol M. because of her girl crush on Jorja.

To me, the writers are only looking to keep the ratings going, that's all. What happens if Jorja Fox comes back and the ratings continue to nose dive. They might go up for a bit, but if they drop back down, what then?

7. GregNickRyanFan

Well, if that happens then maybe tptb will take a good look and realize what is really wrong with the series. The problem started long before the new characters entered or old characters exited. The biggest problem is and always was (maybe not in the first couple of seasons) that the writers at some point either had trouble balancing all of the screentime for all characters on this ensemble show or the others in charge told them to focus more on certain characters. I don't know which it is though.

You wanna know why CSI doesn't get nominated at the Primetime Emmys? It's because what category does it fit in? Most of the shows nominated are ensemble casts and are written as such. CSI was said to be from the beginning an ensemble show, yet the writing does not reflect that. This is the big problem. I think it's gonna take a HUGE dive in the ratings for tptb to FINALLY realize this.

8. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

The ratings started diving during season 7. So it's been about three seasons.

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Ok, Nick had Gum Drops but he only got it by default, it was written for Grissom so they could have their first GSR moment where Grissom sleeps with Sara.

Boom did not showcase Nick, it showcased Grissom's case.

Turn Turn Turn, yes, Gum Drops ended up being that way, but there are 3 seasons between those episodes.

As for Greg, he had Fannysmackin and then the episode about his trial (Can't think of the name of it at the moment). At least they followed up on his attack.

Also, you have to remember that Greg only started being a CSI in Season 5 and a series regular since Season 3 (?), Nick has been there since Season 1 so he would have more.

Does Greg need some episodes that show case him? Absolutely, but this is all irrelevant that they're devoting FIVE episodes to showcase Sara at the expense of the rest of the characters (not Langston) and they've showcased her and Grissom more. Ok, Grissom is the lead, but so is Catherine and she's gotten pushed to the background. Though she could have asked for less screentime and we don't know about that.

Yup, just when the started GSR mentioning in every episode and Sara, mainly, working with Grissom. The ratings went down and that should have given tptb a clue, but nope they love GSR too much.

10. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

UH, fans the ratings really haven't taken a nose dive. I post them on the Media thread go look and scroll way back and you'll see that [except for re-runs] CSI always stayed on the top ten:bolian:

11. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

It may stay in the top ten, but they have taken a huge decrease. Original episodes would get 24 million viewers, now they get around 14-15 millions. Repeats would get around 10 million, now they get around 7-8.

There's a huge difference.

12. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

well, the ratings started dropping for all TV shows around that time. but i think it's pointless to discuss what caused the decreased ratings. just like with an internet poll there are too many variables involved to be sure.

that's what i keep saying. those two things for me are the same.

13. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

If this is for ratings....I don't think they need to bring back Sara to improve ratings....get rid of Laurence Fishburne instead.

14. GregNickRyanFan

I agree with you, Kat. If they did that and talked Billy in to coming back for the entire season with the promise that it would be CSI's last season, then I think the ratings would go through the roof. At this point, I'd much rather it be CSI's last season than to see it go down a rockier path every season.

They could even make a third spin-off (spun directly from the Vegas version) to make up for the loss. Of course they'd need new writers, but they could still use a few of the original characters plus new ones. Nick and Greg (and I'd love for Riley to be there too, but that's just me).

I'm sure once CSI Vegas ended, Marg would most likely want to move on to other things. LF can always go back to doing movies since he's a big time movie star.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  15. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Personally, I think they should do a spin-off with Brass and Nick. Those two work great together. They could start a P.I. business and make Greg do all the grunt work (like Nick had him run something to see how much time, ok, my mind is so not working and Grissom had him find that soda bottle). :lol: