Rock/Alternative music

Slipknot have a great getup! I love 'em.

Maroon 5 - Hate 'em beyond belief. Stupid catchy songs. :mad: Why do I keep falling for it. *hides the Rn'R membership card*

Slipknot scares the heck out of me!

THEY SCARE ME! :eek: Those masks and a beard peeking out from their mask. *cries* Too scary... :(

I so so so hate Maroon 5. Let's face it, they suck. :mad:

I whimper everytime I see them. For reals. They are some freaky...stuff. My brother likes to use that against me too. They're appearance isn't the only thing that scares me. Their songs do too. *shudders*

I actually like Maroon 5....though I haven't listened to their CD in years. And I don't classify them as rock anyway so no need to discuss them. :p

I thought Maroon 5 was rock/pop.

Anyhoo can anyone clarify for me what is alternative music is? :D

I thought Maroon 5 was rock/pop.

Anyhoo can anyone clarify for me what is alternative music is? :D

Alternative music is now a misnomer, this was a phrased coined for the music that came out in the early 90s and such because it was time for the music industy to switch gears from the Glamour Rock, Heavy Metal of the 80s.

Now to call music Alternative in 2005 is just silly, well I guess its not because rock is starting to come back so it's being an Alternative thing to listen to besides Hip Hop / Boy Bands.

But When I talk about Rock n' Roll I usually just call it Rock n' Roll, not Alternative Rock anymore.

It is kinda hard to define what "alternative" rock is these days......I mean, now pretty much all new rock, they refer to as alternative. I can't keep up!! I'm with you - I just call it rock.

Everything I listened to in the 80's was referred to as "Alternative" at that time... The Smiths, The Cure, Bauhaus, etc. I guess it's really just relative to each era.

Classifying music is really hard.....and you are right, Catherine_Willows, someone will always disagree :D. That's wht I stay out of the debate - I am so non-confrontational :)! Music is one of those tricky topics, b/c lots of people feel really passionate about what they listen to, and feel offended if people classify it in a way different than they do. But, yeah, modern rock is probably a pretty accurate desription of most of the bands being discussed in this forum :).

And it's great for me - i try to stay up on current stuff, but when someone mentions a band I haven't heard stuff by, I go right to Amazon and take a listen!

Agreed muchly. I used to hate The Bravery because I thought they were a rip-off of The Killers but now I love them just as much and I want both of their CD's.

I got into my sweet The Academy Is from a few friends who recommended them next to Fall Out Boy and now I obsess over both of them. :p

Hmmmm, haven't heard Fall Out Boy.....another one to listen to. *makes mental note to go listen later* :)

:eek: You haven't? You sure? They sing 'Sugar We're Going Down'. And they rock. ;)

Just a warning: They're lyrics can be a but, um, dirty. Sometimes. Just a little suggestive. Not too bad. Really.

Have you heard The Academy Is? They rock just as good.

When I was still a teenager, I promised myself, I would not get stuck in the nineties. So far, I'm not doing to badly. :)

The Smiths, The Cure, Bauhaus

The Smiths :), The Cure *Robert Smith :eek:* :), Bauhaus hoahyeah :D *starts singing Bela Lugosi is dead*

I LOVE the Bravery! I think their even better than the Killers.. just by a little bit..
When i made this thread or whatever it's called i just said rock/alternative, basically just any type of rockish music.. does this make sense??

I'm glad I'm not stuck with the 90s music but that goes to say that I am really not into the 00s music. I've been on a classic Punk movement as of late. 70s-90s Punk. Awesomely Awesome.

Back