Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
sarahvma said:
It's also obvious that the writers are are going at this season differently. The MCSK storyline is being dragged on all season, unlike something CSI has never done before, unless you want to compare this to the Paul Millander storyline, which I really don't. Without the MCSK, I think the numbers would be down a little bit more.

Much as they want to say it's not about GA, I think it is. Or at least, they're aware that they can't coast on the forensics angle anymore. And they knew that they'd lose viewers this year. Like I've said before - 2-5 million more people tune in when Grey's isn't on, so they likely are sensing, from that, that they're basically at the same level of viewership, which may be why they haven't backed off of any of the "new" aspects of this season, and, if anything, have gone at them harder.

i think you hit the jackpot with this one, sarah. i totally agree, and in a sense i'm happy GA is competing with CSI. it's a primary law of markets and business - competition makes everybody better off. both shows are higher quality now than if they were monopolizing different evenings. who should be glad? we should, cuz we have a better show to watch. GA fans should, cuz they have a better show to watch. works for me.

Exactly - I want CSI to win. Obviously. I want all of their hard work this season to pay off, but ultimately ratings matter to the companies, not to the fans. While yeah, they might start inching back on storylines because they think that it's causing a ratings slump, I think that given the fact that this is the first time ever that they've set up a message board and a wiki and a video exchange says that they know they have a strong enough fanbase.

Ya it was Grave Danger. Part 2 was 35.1 viewers. And Part one was somewhere just shy of 30 million. The number 2 overall episode of all time I think was Ch-Ch Changes which was 31.5 mil. I believe

Yeah. I mean, the funny thing is that with the exception of Grave Danger, it's usually the episodes that sound good, and then end up sucking or just being... blah that get the highest ratings. King Baby, I believe, is above Ch-Ch-Changes, because I remember WP in an interview saying, "First we did transvestites, and I was like - 'We've gone too far' and it gets the highest ratings. Then we do a man in a diaper, and I KNOW we've gone too far, and that gets HIGHER ratings".

The flashy episodes draw attention, just like in this season (Built to Kill 2, Leaving Las Vegas, Loco Motives), but unfortunately they were (exception of BTK) the worst of the season. So people who did take the time to watch it first-run are disappointed, and then when they have great episodes, like this last one or Fannysmackin' or Burn Out, I think it takes people a while to get that CSI is good, they tune in, and it's a sucky one. *shrug*

Such is life.

My prediction, though? DVD sales are going to be very high.

your analysis is quite subjective though...

king baby is probably my all time fave eppy...i loved ch-ch-changes, and Built to Kill 2, Leaving Las Vegas, Loco Motives were probably the best of the season. I like flashy and strange cases...way more interesting.

but the ratings started to go downhill near the end of season 6, so it isn't all grey's fault. Grissom was disapearing, then they introduced the GSR, and this season has been ok...then grissom was gone for awhile. Lots of stuff happening...

If Loco Motives and Leaving Las Vegas had high ratings, then you can consider that tonight will have high ratings as well, since Leaving Las Vegas had a tremendous cliffhanger specifically for tonight

Did we vote for tonight's episode or did we give that up? I forget.

This is sort of OT, but there was a picture of Grissom and Cath in my local paper today. It was just a screenshot of one of the episodes, but it was nice to see. The article was about TiVo but didn't specifically mention CSI.

king baby is probably my all time fave eppy...i loved ch-ch-changes, and Built to Kill 2, Leaving Las Vegas, Loco Motives were probably the best of the season. I like flashy and strange cases...way more interesting.

but the ratings started to go downhill near the end of season 6, so it isn't all grey's fault. Grissom was disapearing, then they introduced the GSR, and this season has been ok...then grissom was gone for awhile. Lots of stuff happening...

CSI's ratings had been going down since the second half of Season 6, and even to GSRs, the GSR thing wasn't obvious until Time of Your Death, three episodes from the end.

Also, at the beginning of the sixth season, TV Guide ran a story that Grissom and Sara would share a hotel room in the first half of the season, and that didn't seem to do much to the ratings before that episode was due to air, even though the scene didn't happen. My point is that they advertised GSR, and it didn't impact the ratings either way. So this tendency to blame it for the ratings going down in Season 6 because people "knew" something was happening seems a little odd. By that same logic, they would've known something was happening since the beginning of the season, because why would CM say that they would sleep together and then just drop the storyline completely?

You're right, it was my opinion and I shouldn't have tried to speak for everyone. I thought my interpretation was supported by the ratings, but I think Nielsen's method has come under enough fire so that it's not exactly the greatest barometer for quality or accuracy.

If Loco Motives and Leaving Las Vegas had high ratings, then you can consider that tonight will have high ratings as well, since Leaving Las Vegas had a tremendous cliffhanger specifically for tonight

Well they've definitely been teasing us with the damned box for long enough.

DragonflyDreamer: 23.5 million
Sarahvma: 21.5 million

I think that Meredith's current situation on Grey's is going to cause CSI to take a beating tonight.

I vote 22.3 million.

As for falling ratings, I think it's pretty clear that GA is the reason for most of it. If S6 hadn't been so dull, viewers might not have been so easily swayed. I really wish they would include the TiVo numbers in the ratings or at least tell us what they are. Everyone that I know who "switched" to GA still watches CSI. Just not on Thursday.

brass_lives: 22.3 million
mrb105: 21.9 million

Well, this week is already fixed, but I do wonder what next week will look like. A LOT of people on the Grey's sites were saying the ending was incredibly corny, whereas I thought tonight was great.

So I guess the battle rages on...

I actually loved Grey's tonight. The ending was cheesy, but Denny returned, and that'll bring the viewers back next week if nothing else does. Plus, we have to see if Meredith dies 4 rull omgomgomg!!!111oneoneone

Ugh. It's so soapy. I can't help but love it though. It's kinda the same reason I watch the Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency. :lol:

Haven't seen CSI yet. I probably won't bother either, as I haven't seen the last few weeks. I'm sure I'll watch a few eps by season's end, though.

sarahvma said:

CSI's ratings had been going down since the second half of Season 6, and even to GSRs, the GSR thing wasn't obvious until Time of Your Death, three episodes from the end.

Also, at the beginning of the sixth season, TV Guide ran a story that Grissom and Sara would share a hotel room in the first half of the season, and that didn't seem to do much to the ratings before that episode was due to air, even though the scene didn't happen. My point is that they advertised GSR, and it didn't impact the ratings either way. So this tendency to blame it for the ratings going down in Season 6 because people "knew" something was happening seems a little odd. By that same logic, they would've known something was happening since the beginning of the season, because why would CM say that they would sleep together and then just drop the storyline completely?

You're right, it was my opinion and I shouldn't have tried to speak for everyone. I thought my interpretation was supported by the ratings, but I think Nielsen's method has come under enough fire so that it's not exactly the greatest barometer for quality or accuracy.

Well they've definitely been teasing us with the damned box for long enough.

I think that Meredith's current situation on Grey's is going to cause CSI to take a beating tonight.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: you didn't read my post very well...i said grissom disappearing as one of the reasons...in season 6. But the ratings took another big hit this season. You can defend your ship all you want, but it still had some effect on the ratings...

csi has never done cliff hangers, i wonder if that has any impact. when they put their characters in life or death situations they always come away alive at the end of the show. drowning the main character on greys i guess is a cliffhanger, but you know shes not going to die.
but heres what i was wondering. abc did it last week and now this week too, where they put the new episode of greys on thurdsday and friday. whats the point? are they going to try and put the number together and say 'we got 40 million viewers!' or something like that?

mrb105 said:
Wait, I thought that guy Denny was dead. Don't tell me GA brings people back from the dead
He is, and they don't. But Merideth is hanging at death's door, and she's dreaming or something. There's another dead guy there too.

I thought the ending of Greys was a bit cheesy, too, but for sure it will draw in viewers for next week.

I enjoyed CSI last night as well. I'm loving the miniature killer. I thought the way they had 'ended' it with the guy killing himself was a letdown, so I'm glad they're not done with it yet :D

you didn't read my post very well...i said grissom disappearing as one of the reasons...in season 6. But the ratings took another big hit this season. You can defend your ship all you want, but it still had some effect on the ratings...

I read your post fine. I responded to the part that I disagreed with because the rest of your analysis made sense.

And I'm sure that GSR has had an impact, but not as much as the online community believes. Like I've said before, two episodes ran without Grey's on at the same time. They were Loco Motives (which was advertised with Catherine and Grissom) and Leaving Las Vegas (which was advertised with Grissom and Sara). Leaving Las Vegas beat Loco Motives' numbers by 11% (2.9 million viewers). I'm not suggesting that it was because of GSR. I know it was because people thought Grissom was leaving. My point was that it was advertised with the first glimpse of personal GSR that a promo has ever done, and it didn't turn people away. Instead, it was the highest-rated episode of the season. I think if audiences had chosen to leave CSI because of GSR, they wouldn't have come back to watch that episode.

csi has never done cliff hangers, i wonder if that has any impact. when they put their characters in life or death situations they always come away alive at the end of the show. drowning the main character on greys i guess is a cliffhanger, but you know shes not going to die.
but heres what i was wondering. abc did it last week and now this week too, where they put the new episode of greys on thurdsday and friday. whats the point? are they going to try and put the number together and say 'we got 40 million viewers!' or something like that?

Grey's originally put the Friday repeats, I think, because they thought they would get killed by CSI. But now, yeah - they definitely push their numbers together.

As for cliffhangers... I'm sure that it would help CSI along, but other than a handful of stories this year, they have still maintained that "episode-to-episode" sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back