Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ollieuan

ollieuan Lab Technician

I just got through watching the ep, and overall, I was pleased with it. I would have liked to have seen the rest of the cast a tad more, but hopefully the next few eps will give everyone a chance to shine.

I must say that CBS's promotion of the ep was ingenious. If I hadn't known better I would have thought it was Grissom's final farewell. I think that's a major reason the numbers were so high. Well, that coupled with the lack of competition. Perhaps the episode was good enough to keep those viewers? Perhaps. The realist in me tends to doubt it, though. I honestly think the next few eps will see a decrease in viewership, just because casual viewers know Grissom will be gone and I'm sure some BP fans might tune out.

I predict another bump in ratings for his return ep, though, especially if CBS promotes it like they did Thursday's ep. I think that ep will beat Grey's for sure. I also think many people will stick around till the finale mainly because they think Grissom might be on his way out. I'm not so sure about that. I think if he was hell-bent on leaving at the end of the season that we would have heard about it by now. I'll believe he's leaving when I see it.

2. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I agree, ollieuan.

More than the fact that I think people tuned in to see Grissom leaving for good, I think even the tone of the episode was made out to be far different than it really was.

If anything, Grissom's leaving, while not funny, was given a kind of "This isn't a big deal" attitude (except for the end, but that's kind of understandable).

On top of that, I think the case half was probably the worst episode we've had so far this season. Which, to be fair, isn't saying a whole lot, because the season's been great.

But the Grissom half almost made people realize how much he brought to the show, which will probably hurt them in the ratings.

Having said that, the Liev clips look very interesting, and they now have 2 weeks to sell Keppler as a good Grissom replacement.

So who knows?

I dunno. If people leave after this episode, I think it may have more to do with that feeling of being "tricked" you sort of mentioned, so his return ep might just keep all of the people who've stuck with the show this season.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I was pretty disappointed that they made it seem like a Grissom Goodbye Episode and it turned into Catherine's Jackpot with Grissom getting a quick scene with each member of his team.

As a sidenote, for their CSI-free first show of 2007, does anyone know what big story Grey's has?

I have a feeling that both shows purposefully put their first and last shows against re-runs of each other. They probably figured out that in fighting each other, they were both losing first place.

Especially now that American Idol is geared to start again.

3. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

This weeks episode won the ratings in by a landslide.

Read about it HERE

4. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I notice everyone keeps repeating that GA was a re-run. Loco Motives went up against a GA re-run as well, and still didn't beat the Happenstance numbers, which had a new GA against it.

It's early to say, but I do wonder whether people aren't losing interest with Grey's. From what I've heard from my friends who still watch, it feels like it just goes around in circles.

While the last three episodes of CSI haven't been stellar, I like that they're trying new things, and that they don't seem to just be churning out the same old plotlines over and over again.

They've done a great job with the drama, something that they've made a little too corny in the past.

But what this season really needs is a good lighthearted episode. There were too many in Season 5 and just two (Kiss-Kiss, Bye Bye and Roshomama) in Season 6. I think their attempts so far have been kind of lame this season, but that could make things seem a bit more well-rounded.

ETA

I've taken a look at the Monday-Friday ratings, and unless Desperate Housewives pulls some great ratings (is it a re-run this week), it looks like CSI will be #1

5. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Coroner

I just saw the ratings for last week!

WE BEAT YOU, GREY'S! (I love Grey's and all, but my heart belongs to CSI!)

6. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

To see the real victor, we'll have to check how Grey's does as a new episode vs. a CSI repeat this coming week.

And then, of course, when they're back against each other - especially since they'll be going up against each other for the first time with a Keppler episode instead of a Grissom one.

But I have a pretty good feeling that CSI has its audience back. And Grey's has lost its.

This is the third week in a row (barring the Thanksgiving special) that CSI has overcome its premiere ratings. That's pretty big.

I checked, and Desperate Housewives is indeed a new episode tonight. Unless they beat 25.9 million, it looks like the top spot will belong to CSI for the second week in a row. (of new episodes, I mean).

7. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

It's wierd, when CSI does reruns, they still get in the top 3 in ratings( most of the time either 1 or 2) when Grey's does reruns, nowhere to be seen

8. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Well, in fairness to Grey's, it is a serial show - and they tend to be pretty forgettable on the rewatch because the real interest is in what happens next.

In a procedural, it can be fun to go back and look for the clues to the resolution.

Or maybe CSI is just more rewatchable. Either way...

9. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

yeah that's it! csi is definitely more rewatchable! i can watch it over and over again

10. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I don't want to declare definites, but from what I've seen of the ratings, there's a damn good chance CSI got first place this week.

11. IloveBilly

IloveBilly Police Officer

will be a new Grey's episode against CSI rerun? Do you guys think CSI can be number 1?

12. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Yeah - this week is new Grey's vs. re-run of CSI (Fannysmackin').

Then I think they go back to being head-to-head.

13. allmaple

allmaple Judge

not sure about greys but next week csi is a rerun again :( at least its rashomama, or however the heck you spell it. no matter how many times i see it nicks bare chest will always keep me tuned in :D
    not that it matters much overall, but ive converted a friend who had never seen csi (7 years! how do you not see a show thats been on for 7 years!!) and he now comes over every week to watch :) add one more viewer to the numbers! thats progress right?

14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

He must have seen it (at least part of an episode) at some point without knowing what it was, right? I mean, how do you go seven years without once seeing one of the most popular shows in the world. But good for you, Maple, coverting him.
    I'm sad to say, my best friend (well, one of them) hates CSI as much as I love it. We've had many... interesting disscusions on the topic. But hey, at least she's seen it. Several episodes in fact. :lol:

15. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

SO close. CSI came second, the winner winning by by just over half a million viewers. The winner was the NFL Playoff game.

CSI beat third place by 5.83 million viewers, however - 22.3% (it was the precursor to the playoff, I believe).

DH got about 18 million, Grey's didn't make the top 20, and CSI's re-run that showed before the new episode tied for 12th place.

Close, though.

And still their highest ratings of the season, and they beat 7 of Season 6's viewership numbers.

The final count was: 26.116 million viewers.

They're up 1% from their fast nationals.

CSI Season 7 vs. Itself
    Season 7 Premiere: 22.58
    Episode 2: 23.77 - 5% gain from week before
    Episode 3: 21.51 - 9.5% drop
    Episode 4: 21.58 - 0.3% gain
    Episode 5: 20.49 - 5% drop
    Episode 6: 20.53 - 0.2% gain
    Episode 7: 20.83 - 1.5% gain
    Episode 8: 24.11 - 13.6% gain
    Episode 9: 17.171 - 28.8% drop
    Episode 10: 23.253 - 26.2% gain
    Episode 11: 26.116 - 11% gain