Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

You're intentions were good, we just sort of combinded this into one thread. ;)

There is an article at tvguide.com Ask Matt Roush, a question was asked and ansered about the ratings between CSI and Greys.

2. coolcatz

coolcatz Head of the Swing Shift

i will agree that moving deal or no deal affected csi positively in the ratings. however i also know several people who watched the episode based on spoiler information (only to have wished they had tuned out before the end). csi advertised something, finally showed it and got the boost in ratings.

the article in our weekly paper showed csi as hitting #9 in the top 10. the fact that (up until last week) almost a full third of viewers had tuned out is significant. as for grey's...the public has figured out the thursday/friday schedule. when that changes expect another spike.

3. Txxgrrrl

Txxgrrrl Hit and Run

I saw nothing out of the ordinary advertisment-wise this week. The promos on tv started out with the twins talking and there was a shot of most everyone. It was a standard episode preview. No one person or duo was featured more than anyone else and most of the audience doesn't see promo pics or read spoilers. It would be hard to put a number to it but I would bet that at least 90% of their audience tuned in not knowing who would or would not be working together.

If the viewers they picked up last week were watching Deal or No Deal, and I feel confident that's where most of the ratings boost came from...it could mean that they aren't GA viewers and went with the show that they didn't necessarily need to be up to date on. The procedural program rather than than the serialized one.

4. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

You're right, coolcatz - I have no doubt that increased interaction between all of the team, and most epecially increased screen time for Catherine and Catherine with Grissom specifically probably boosted the ratings on top of Deal or No Deal (hence why those viewers didn't just go to Grey's), however the number of people who check online spoilers is probably pretty low in a 23-million person pool. On top of that, the Catherine/Grissom moments were shown specifically on an entertainment show, of which, again, not necessarily that many people watched.

So did the ratings get boosted because people wanted to see Grissom with someone other than Catherine? Yes, but it doesn't account for THAT big a change.

I mean, look at Grey's Anatomy - it got a boost of about 0.5% because it showed that Grey and McDreamy were finally together again. That's their big couple, their big sweeps moment, and it pretty much got trampeled by CSI. I'd say it's rather impressive that a regular casefile and some team interaction beats out a huge sweeps moment on a soap show.

My problem with discussion of ratings is when people say, "Oh it was a [this character episode] therefore the ratings went [up or down]" - the previews can tell you part of what's going to happen, but there's no real way of knowing the exact content before it airs. Therefore, I think the main driving force was simply people going, "Meredith and McDreamy are boring, and I'd rather watch a regular casefile about Hailey Mills getting killed on opposite sides of town".

5. ollieuan

ollieuan Lab Technician

Meredith and McDreamy got together two or three weeks ago, I believe. And if I recall correctly George and Alex/Izzie got a majority of the screentime in the promo. That is likely why the promo didn't attract inflated numbers. And that's a shame, because I love those three WAY more than I love Meredith. :/

It remains to be seen whether these higher CSI numbers will last. I'm gonna assume it's a fluke until I see a pattern develop. The problem the show will have is KEEPING those viewers. Like Grey's, it has become painfully predictable.

6. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Perhaps - I remember seeing a shot of McDreamy and Meredith in a bathtub being replayed quite a bit.

You're right, though - just like the BTK2 numbers, there's no way to tell if this isn't just a fluke. However, the spikes do seem to relate to Catherine-advertised episodes, and this week's is another.

So I guess, at the very least, if the numbers go down again, we can rule out Catherine being the 3-million-viewer factor.

7. nukejane12

nukejane12 Dead on Arrival

I disagree. As I think about people I know, most have a pretty good idea what a show will be about before viewing it. Surely, you've had conversations in which someone said "Yeah, I saw/read/heard about ???? on/at/in blank, blank."

While the TV promo may not have appeared significantly different, there are a myriad of other possibilities through other outlets: magazines such as TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly, local newspapers, cable synopsis, and the Internet. (By the way, the latest information shows that 69% of Americans use the Internet. Too what extent, I really don't know. My source is http://www.internetworldstats.com .) Each of the major networks has an evening entertainment show prone to offering sneak peeks as well as morning shows that do the same thing. Heck, even radio stations cover TV shows.

Basically, if you think about it for a bit and focus on individuals you know, you'll probably recall that they make use of one these information sources.

8. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Coroner

Me neither, even though she's the center of the show-- I feel as if she's the weakest link on the show... I love Grey's, but I tivo both and watch CSI "live" and will watch Grey's later every Thursday...

9. Txxgrrrl

Txxgrrrl Hit and Run

I agree that the average viewer tunes in knowing what the episode is about. My point was that the average viewer doesn't tune in knowing who is working together, and I don't think that factors into the average viewers decision to watch or not. Nor do I think that a particular duo working together would cause a massive flucuation in the ratings like we saw last week. Just my opinion obviously but I've always thought that unlike us (internet fans), most of CSI's viewers watch this show and don't give it too much thought either before or after given the nature of the show. My personal experience regarding CSI discussions with "normal" fans were case related discussions, I've not had one discussion about who happened to be working together the night before.

10. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Okay, here's an opinion question:

1) If CSI was able to hold its place atop the ratings, would you assume it was because CSI has gotten better this season, or because the other shows have gotten worse?

--------------

From the other thread, just before it falls off of the page:

Coolcatz brought up a good point that the ratings have fallen significantly from Season 6, and while I didn't think it made sense to put it in the Grey's vs. CSI thread (since CSI and Grey's weren't competing last season), I think we can probably put it here.

So here you are (with appropriate drop percentage rates, etc. etc.)

A quick edit to say that because of how difficult it is to find Nielsen's original numbers, I'm not sure if these are Fast Nationals or Final Figures for the season 6.

Premiere of Season 6 - 29.02 million
    Episod 2 - 28.00 million
    Episode 3 - 28.85 million
    Episode 4 - 28.34 million
    Episode 5 - 28.48 million
    Episode 6 - 28.73 million
    Episode 7 - 29.55 million

Average: 28.71

What was NOT showing last season during this time? Grey's Anatomy (averaging 23 million), 30 Rock (averaging 5 million) Deal or No Deal (averaging 11 million)

Premiere of Season 7 - 22.58 million - 22.2% drop
    Episode 2 - 23.77 million – 15.1% drop
    Episode 3 - 21.51 million – 25.4% drop
    Episode 4 - 21.58 million – 23.9% drop
    Episode 5 - 20.49 million – 28.1% drop
    Episode 6 - 20.53 million – 28.5% drop
    Episode 7 - 20.83 million – 29.5% drop

Average: 21.54

Average drop: 25%

I’ll post the change in figures when the solid numbers come out for last week. Does anyone have the numbers for A Bullet Runs Through It Part 2?

11. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Might check the news archieves from the news section here. I am sure they would have the total ratings from each ep as a news report. Just click on the CSI Files at the top, then go to the bottom and click on Archieves. and it would be around Nov - Dec 2005.

12. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Okay! Final numbers are IN. CSI went up 280,000 in its viewer numbers from the fast nationals.

So here is what the chart looks like now:

Premiere: 22.58
    Episode 2: 23.77 - 5% gain from week before
    Episode 3: 21.51 - 9.5% drop
    Episode 4: 21.58 - 0.3% gain
    Episode 5: 20.49 - 5% drop
    Episode 6: 20.53 - 0.2% gain
    Episode 7: 20.83 - 1.5% gain
    Episode 8: 24.11 - 13.6% gain

Compared to the premiere their numbers are up: 6.3%

I cannot yet find Grey's numbers, but I will post them when I do. It seems CBS was a little more eager to broadcast CSI's numbers than ABC was to do so for Grey's.

ANYway...

Premiere of Season 7 - 22.58 million
    Episode 2 - 23.77 million
    Episode 3 - 21.51 million
    Episode 4 - 21.58 million
    Episode 5 - 20.49 million
    Episode 6 - 20.53 million
    Episode 7 - 20.83 million
    Episode 8 - 24.11 million

Average: 21.925

ETA

You were right - I checked. Unfortunately they were just the fast nationals. Ratings are rather disposable in the long run, I suppose.

ETA ETA

Here's what Grey's is looking at:

Premiere: 25.4 million viewers
    Episode 2: 23.5 million viewers - 7.5% drop from week before
    Episode 3: 22.8 million viewers - 3% drop
    Episode 4: 21.93 million viewers - 4% drop
    Episode 5: 20.96 million viewers - 4.5% drop
    Episode 6: 21.03 million viewers - 0.3% gain
    Episode 7: 20.65 million viewers - 1.8% drop
    Episode 8: 20.92 million viewers - 1.3% gain

Their total drop in audience since the premiere is: 17.6% loss.

CSI's episode rating average for this season is: 21.925
    Grey's episode rating average for this season is: 22.15

Difference: 0.22

ETA

One last set of statistics for anyone interested (I love stats. lol.)

Premiere: Grey's beats CSI by 11.1%
    Episode 2: CSI beats Grey's by 1.1%
    Episode 3: Grey's beats CSI by 5.7%
    Episode 4: Grey's beats CSI by 1.6%
    Episode 5: Grey's beats CSI by 2.2%
    Episode 6: Grey's beats CSI by 2.4%
    Episode 7: CSI beats Grey's by 1%
    Episode 8: CSI beats Grey's by 13.2%

CSI has, therefore, in a single episode-to-episode competition this season, beat Grey's by a greater percentage than Grey's has beat CSI.

Grey's this season has beat CSI five times (not including the repeats) and beat them by an average of 4.6% when it beat them.

CSI beat Grey's three times with an average of 5.1% when it beat them

The complete chart is here: This week's Nielsens

13. coolcatz

coolcatz Head of the Swing Shift

not hardly, csi had a great percentage win in ONE episode. grey's still has the overall better average. that's the joy of statistics, combining them differently gives you different results (and can always give you teh results you want). hard numbers and hour to hour comparision still leave csi severly lagging (especially compared to last year).

you can say it doesn't matter but it does. if the numbers continue dropping this way by next year they will have lost over 50% of their audience in two years. think about it.

14. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

The numbers aren't really dropping this year. I mean, yes they're down from last year, but they've been moving (besides the expected drop after the premiere) consistently up as the episodes have gone on. That's a good thing. It's really good that our show, who once had very little competition is holding up against a show that is a lot of competition, that occupies its same time slot.

The ratings are down from last year due to a million different factors. That is the past. What matters is what is done now that all the factors have come into play. We're 8 episodes in, and the ratings have been going up almost every episode. That's encouraging to me.

15. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Coolcatz, had I chosen to only portray the statistics in which CSI was winning you would have a good point, but as you can see, I displayed statistics in a few areas where CSI lost. I thought of as many categories as I could. Is there another you'd like to suggest?

Which is why I specifically moved the numbers comparing this season to last into this thread, so that we would have that posterity. Unfortunately, I can't find the numbers for ABRTI2, as you could see from my earlier posts. Do you know where I could find them, because if so, I'd be happy to continue the chart.

ETA

I mean, the bottom line is that this started specifically as a competition between Grey's Anatomy and CSI. Right now, CSI is winning that competition if you look specifically at the last two weeks of episodes. It is losing if you look at overall averages. On top of that, CSI is the only one of the two who is currently sitting with higher numbers than it had during its premiere. Again, a win.

CSI compared with CSI last year is losing, and I chose to display that chart - a subject that you requested be compared.

ETA ETA ETA

lol.

Someone PM'd me the results for ABRTI 2 (if this is wrong, please feel free to correct me). So here goes:

Premiere of Season 6 - 29.02 million
    Episod 2 - 28.00 million
    Episode 3 - 28.85 million
    Episode 4 - 28.34 million
    Episode 5 - 28.48 million
    Episode 6 - 28.73 million
    Episode 7 - 29.55 million
    Episode 8 - 28.98 million

Average: 28.74

What was NOT showing last season during this time? Grey's Anatomy (averaging 23 million), 30 Rock (averaging 5 million) Deal or No Deal (averaging 11 million)

Premiere of Season 7 - 22.58 million - 22.2% drop
    Episode 2 - 23.77 million – 15.1% drop
    Episode 3 - 21.51 million – 25.4% drop
    Episode 4 - 21.58 million – 23.9% drop
    Episode 5 - 20.49 million – 28.1% drop
    Episode 6 - 20.53 million – 28.5% drop
    Episode 7 - 20.83 million – 29.5% drop
    Episode 8 - 24.11 million - 16.8% drop

Average: 21.925

Average drop: 23.7%

By that theory, Grey's Anatomy will have 16.76 million viewers next year.

And compared with Season 6's premiere, CSI has lost 16.9% of its audience.

Compared to Season 5's premiere (30.57) CSI has lost 21.1% of its audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.