Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

honestly, the grissom and sara thing was like two minutes at the end of the finale, does that really ruin an entire series? if she hadnt have been in a bathrobe and the setting wasnt a bedroom they couldve just been friends chatting for all i know.
ill admit i was wrong when i said there was no way theyd be going around making lovey dove faces at each other, because for a while they were. that seems to have stopped. but youd think if they were trying to hide a work romance they wouldnt want to be working every single case together :rolleyes: thats just me though
other than the fact these two cant seem to work a crimescene without the other person there, i dont feel that they are pushing the relationship thing. again, if it wasnt for that last 2 minutes at the end of way to go im sure we wouldnt think anything had changed. and if that 2 minutes was enough for people to stop watching then they are really selling themselves short. i have enjoyed every episode this season and even though some are better than others ive never wanted to turn one off or anything.

I admit, I'm probably done when Grissom leaves. He's the core of the show. And, I may not think anything of GSR, but my antiship father used to complain, not just about GSR, but any sign of ANY shippiness on the show. He doesn't mind GSR now that they're together because he feels like he doesn't have to be subjected to them going back and forth all the time. *shrug* He watches now more than ever, and gets upset if I don't tape an episode for him.

My mom doesn't care about any ships. She and my stepdad really could care less who is together, and they still watch every Thursday. They don't feel like GSR is a big deal.

And, honestly, the finale wasn't that great to begin with. :) I really didn't like season 6. Also:

I don't think Sara is even IN "Happenstance." And, "Living Legend" is Cath-heavy. I don't expect to even see Gris and Sara in a room together. So, please consider watching these eps, at least. The writing really is SO much better this season!

I'm a multishipper, honestly. GSR just happens to be my main ship. However, I'm a writer first. I may only do it in the comfort of my own home, but I've been fascinated with screenwriting since childhood. My mother has always said that I'm pretty good at gaguing what is good writing and what isn't. This season has been MUCH better written than last. And, I'm hoping the ratings will one day reflect that.

If anything, I think that the declined ratings and most people's general disatisfaction with last season has forced the writers to be a little more creative, and a little more fluid. The ratings may be low, but that's because of damage done in the past. It's like planting seeds for harvest. You don't immediately get rewarded. You have to wait to collect your earnings in the next season. I'm hoping that 2007 with February sweeps, etc, will show the fruits of the labors done in this first half of the season.

I know I won't convince you on anything about GSR, so I'm not going to try. That's not why I entered this debate. I just entered it to throw in another viewpoint. And, we can all agree to disagree. I just wanted it said. :)

And, I'm sure there are lots of anti-GSR comments out there, but I don't spend a lot of time on "anti" boards, just as you may not spend a lot of time on "pro" boards. That's the beauty of everyone having differing opinions.

Our show is hanging in there in a very tough market. We're still in the top 5. That's pretty awesome considering it's season 7. Most shows that rise to the top spot do so early, then drop out of sight just as quickly. #2 or #3 ain't bad. Yes, I said, "Ain't." :)

allmaple said:
honestly, the grissom and sara thing was like two minutes at the end of the finale, does that really ruin an entire series? if she hadnt have been in a bathrobe and the setting wasnt a bedroom they couldve just been friends chatting for all i know.
ill admit i was wrong when i said there was no way theyd be going around making lovey dove faces at each other, because for a while they were. that seems to have stopped. but youd think if they were trying to hide a work romance they wouldnt want to be working every single case together :rolleyes: thats just me though
other than the fact these two cant seem to work a crimescene without the other person there, i dont feel that they are pushing the relationship thing. again, if it wasnt for that last 2 minutes at the end of way to go im sure we wouldnt think anything had changed. and if that 2 minutes was enough for people to stop watching then they are really selling themselves short. i have enjoyed every episode this season and even though some are better than others ive never wanted to turn one off or anything.

I am getting mad, because sara and grissom are always together, and grissom is making sappy faces, and saying sappy lines to her, and I think that is so far from his character, and makes him kind of pathetic. Also, he has limited screen time left, and I hate that they wasted it on him bringing her a veggie burger...blah.

and I don't like Sara as much, because it just makes her seem pathetic for not getting over grissom, yikes. How many times did he reject her? It seemed like grissom was always running away from her, to me, and now they are suddenly together? not to mention the creepy insest like thing going on.

guys, i don't think this is a good place for shipper wars in here. i know it's a hot topic and all but i can sense the growing probability that sooner or later someone will get mod-slapped ;) i'm just saying.

Agreed, Adzix - I was sorry to bring up the elephant in the room in the first place, but this isn't the best spot to voice your opinions on the ship itself, but rather how you feel it's affecting the ratings.

I was actually been waiting for a mod slap. I've been trying to stay on topic with my points, but we really should probably take this to the Great Ship debate if it's going to become all about the ship.

We have this thing about seeing if people will move on before we do anything. That being said.

Apparently this thread has gotten of the path it was orginially intended for, this is not the place to debate ships (I believe SC has a thread for that). This is to discuss ratings. How you feel about them and why they are the way they are.

So lets move on now and get back on that path before Tally & I start debating whether or not a mod Smack or slap is going to be warrented. ;)

Alyssa said:
If anything, I think that the declined ratings and most people's general disatisfaction with last season has forced the writers to be a little more creative, and a little more fluid. The ratings may be low, but that's because of damage done in the past. It's like planting seeds for harvest. You don't immediately get rewarded. You have to wait to collect your earnings in the next season.

That's so true. But I think it goes back to season 5, with the team split and the addition of Sofia as an additional team member. A lot of people were upset by that, but they all came back with the season finale (thanks to Tarantino and the promise of a unified team). The fact that season 6 was so lackluster reopened the wounds for some people.

I totally agree that the show is more interesting when the CSIs split off into different groupings for each show. Stick any two or three of them together, and it works. It just works. I'm glad that they are doing that more now. We had Sara and Cath, Nick and Warrick, Greg Nick and Warrick last week. They are mixing it up more.

In a few weeks there won't be a Grissom for any GSR scenes. As much as I love him, I'm interested to see what they do during his absence. I hope the guest star doesn't detract from the rest of the team.

For anyone still interested, the final numbers according to the official Nielsen website for last week were:

CSI: 20.832, up 0.36 from Fast Nationals
Grey's Anatomy: 20.653, up 0.083 from Fast Nationals

Adjusted percentages are:

CSI's audience percentage drop from premiere:
7.8%

Grey's Anatomy's drop from premiere:
18.7%

Making Grey's drop 2.4 times larger than CSI's.

Grey's did win the demographic for the 7th time in the season between the two.

oh wow, theyre still dropping after the premiere? i would have thought theyve been proving this year is going to be different (ie good) and theyd at least maintain about the same viewers each week.
after all the hype about the rivalry i think aside from the actual numbers, the percentage drops send a clear message that maybe people think greys isnt all its cracked up to be.

Well, a little note about that, allmaple - while it's certainly true that almost always every show's numbers drop after the premiere, not only did CSI's rise in the second week, but Grey's hasn't increased its numbers from week to week once since their season started.

CSI's numbers are up for the second week in a row.

oh ok, thanks for the clarification. i think that is an important little thing to remember when considering the ratings between the two shows. so maybe people are deciding to come back? i guess in a few weeks time we will know for sure

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a bigger jump from tonight's ratings simply because a) it's the second week of sweeps, b) last week's episode was solid and c) they're taking great pains to show the whole team working together, which has been a common complaint about this season so far.

I think the newness of Grey's being on Thursday is wearing off and people are coming back to CSI, plus, what helps a little is Supernatural is on then too and a lot of people watch that.

But CSI is always consistent, which is such a good thing, if it's first or second, they usually have at least 20 million viewers and at the end of the day that is what the network wants, so CSI is one strong show for them.

But I would love to see CSI not only regain that top spot but keep it too. An added bonus is to see all those entertainment reporters who just harped on how CSI would do in the ratings against Grey's totally eat their words.

Since this is also about Grey's ratings, I'll just quickly post its numbers from the first 6 new episodes of the season (the re-runs we won't count). These are based on the final counts found at Television Without Pity.

Premiere: 25.4 million viewers
Episode 2: 23.5 million viewers - 7.5% drop from week before
Episode 3: 22.8 million viewers - 3% drop
Episode 4: 21.93 million viewers - 4% drop
Episode 5: 20.96 million viewers - 4.5% drop
Episode 6: 21.03 million viewers - 0.3% gain
Episode 7: 20.65 million viewers - 1.8% drop

Forgive me - their numbers did rise once so far this season from a week-to-week point: episode 6 was up 0.07. But otherwise a pretty steady decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back