Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

There's an article on MediaLife Magazine that stated that CSI started to lose its viewers in the second half of season 6 and that CSI was doing good during the first half of season 6.. so Jango has a point, we can't put all the blame to Greys cuz their viewers were already leaving since the disappointing episodes of the last half of season 6 were aired.

...which would suggest that it was not the quality of Season 7.

Well, this is a minor victory, but though CSI lost in the actual ratings this week, they had more viewers than Grey's. Slightly more viewers, but it's still pretty cool. :)

Yeah - I heard about the more accurate, updated numbers. And they beat them by a larger margin than Grey's beat CSI in the fast nationals.

How could they get more overall viewers but not overall raitings? I'm totally confused.

MacsGirlMel, I've had ratings explained to me a thousand times, and I still don't understand it. It all has to do with shares, and how many televisions are on, and of those how many are turned to your show, etc, etc.

Can anyone offer a good explanation of ratings?

I don't even get how they can tell which is getting watched more! I tried to watchGrey's Anatomy once, when an episode of CSI was a re-run and I actually fell asleep, I'm not a fan of Patrick Dempsey (after all of the cheesy movies he's done for stuff like Lifetime) so I couldn't watch!

Well, this is a minor victory, but though CSI lost in the actual ratings this week, they had more viewers than Grey's. Slightly more viewers, but it's still pretty cool.

Its probably just an error on TV.com's part. So far, its the only website that reported that CSI 'won'.
In the other media/ratings website (The Futon Critic, Zap2it, Hollywood Reporter, Eonline, ABC press release, Entertainment Weekly) the figures were the same as Jango posted.. Total Viewers: "Greys won--20.57 M over CSI's 20.47 M viewers"
CBS has not posted their press release yet.

Ratings DO equal totalt number of viewers. However, only househoulds with a nielsen box on their TV can be measured in the results. They represent a percentage, mostly, and they are fairly accurate.

The ONLY reason networks care about ratings is because advertisers care about them. If a show gets more ratings the network can charge more for commercials while the show is airing. Also, advertisers love the 18-49 year old demographic. Therefore, winning that demographic in the ratings can put you "ahead" in the ratings war even if you don't have more total viewers.

Basically, if you have tons of viewers but only kids and geezers are watching then no one cares except the manufacturers of legos and geritol. That's why you see so many commercials for old-people-pills during The Price is Right. The ratings show that more elderly people watch, so advertisers of products that would appeal to older people pay big bucks to advertise in that time slot.

Long story made short: Networks want lots of middle-aged people to watch their shows so that they can make lots of money.

On another note, I personally believe that the poor quality of the last few episodes of season 6 (excluding Rashomama, which was god in prime time) turned people off the show. People saw that the show seemed to be on a downward spiral. And, IMO they were right to leave. I liked 4 of the first 6 episodes of season 6 (more or less), but I've only liked MAYBE 2 this season, and Burnout was only impressive because of Alan Tudyk, who is done with the show. So, there ya go.

It's all personal preference I guess, but I have found season 7 to be extremely dull and predictable. There hasn't been one good twist in an episode yet. The mini crime scene was intriguing, but that only got about 5 seconds of screentime. In every other ep I have called the ending at least by the halfway point. Furthermore, everyone always works with the same people. Apparently we have regressed to season 5. Where's the variety? That is what helped make season 6 good IMO.

How could they get more overall viewers but not overall raitings? I'm totally confused.

There's a very specific age bracket 18-49 that is considered the "best" age bracket to be watching your show because they're the most likely to spend money. Although CSI got more viewers - and they GOT more viewers, HottieCath because what you saw first were the fast nationals, and these are the more accurate results after all of the Nielsen counts were in - Grey's got more viewers in that particular age bracket, which gives them a higher rating. If you check Nielsen's chart, often programs with higher ratings end up further down on the list from shows that just got more in the 18-49 range.

Right now, Grey's has consistently won in the 18-49 bracket 7 of the 8 weeks that it and CSI have been on the air (in other words, compared with each other, because they have both been beat a couple times by other shows). However, in the re-run CSI beat Grey's, and CSI has had a higher number of viewers (not including the re-run) twice. But Grey's, both of those times, had a higher rating because of who their viewers were.

I did want to say that the elephant in the room, GSR, is considered to be one of the factors. Yet some of the most strongly-opposed people to GSR still watch the show. So if people who flat-out actively hate it and write long paragraphs about WHY they hate it are still watching, can GSR really be a factor to the ratings?

The largest percentage of fans of most tv shows including CSI are not the same ones who are rabid online posters. You don't hear from them online. Their presence is shown in the ratings or lack thereof. There are many factors for the decline of CSI and yes, the GSR factor is one them.

Lack of team chemistry, so-so cases, GSR which doesn't appeal to everyone is a turnoff. It's very easy for people to check out the episode for the first 15 minutes, see what's going on and then say "Eehhh, no thanks" and tune out.

This is why it's better not to have a ship actually show up on the show. Most people are not going to like it and the ship's supporters spend their time defending it. The supporters get defensive when you suggest that their ship is one of the causes of the show's decline. It's better for everyone if a ship is kept among its own crew. ;)

The largest percentage of fans of most tv shows including CSI are not the same ones who are rabid online posters. You don't hear from them online. Their presence is shown in the ratings or lack thereof. There are many factors for the decline of CSI and yes, the GSR factor is one them.

Yes, but if someone is So invested in CSI that they post on these boards, and they hate the GSR pairing, wouldn't it make sense that the people who are SO against it are the first to go? The fact that they still watch says that if they care the most, and they're still here, what are the chances that those who simply don't like it or don't care left because of it?

I was thinking about the last part of last season's finalie, how do we know for sure that they actually got together? i mean, if they actually done something, wouldn't grissom be laying on the bed in boxers or something? no, he was just wearing that uuggllyy flowerly shirt - that's just my view!

I was thinking about the last part of last season's finalie, how do we know for sure that they actually got together? i mean, if they actually done something, wouldn't grissom be laying on the bed in boxers or something? no, he was just wearing that uuggllyy flowerly shirt - that's just my view!

I think that William Petersen may not have wanted to be in nothing but his boxers on television, no matter how many women may have wanted it. lol.

^^^^^
ROFL Him and his funny legs! I've seen a picture of him in shorts before and it wasn't pretty! lol.

sarahvma said:

I think that William Petersen may not have wanted to be in nothing but his boxers on television, no matter how many women may have wanted it. lol.
Wow...even though he's been, er, naughtier in some of his movies? I'd settle for him in a nice comfy robe though...:sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back