Puzzle Pieces

Sorry for the dely in an update, RL threw me a curve ball over the holidays...

anyway

Many thanks to Bev for taking the time to beta this. :D

The Lab Knows

Two days later, Catherine found herself in the same place; the cold, dark, sterile room of the Gynecology Center. She looked forward to Charlotte’s smile as she lay on the faux leather exam table.

She heard voices in the background but none of them sounded familiar. Restlessness crept into Catherine as she felt the cold jelly applied to her belly.

Catherine wanted a comforting face to help ease the anxiety she felt. Catherine closed her eyes for a moment and wondered where Charlotte was.

“If you are looking for Charlotte, she is not here. She got called in to an emergency. My name is Lindsay and I’ll guide you through this, alright?” Her eyes opened to see a different tech standing next to the exam table.

“That’s a nice name. That’s my daughter’s name.” Catherine said.

Catherine felt some of her anxiety and restlessness ease with the sound of Lindsay’s calming voice.

“Don’t worry, I’ve been doing this a long time,” Lindsay smiled towards Catherine as she placed a hand over Catherine’s.
Here we go…” Lindsay’s voice Catherine forced to turn towards the monitor.

“Can you see it?” Lindsay asked Catherine. “That one there; is Twin A, the boy.”

Catherine found the tech’s finger on the screen as she traced the outline of a small blob. Very tiny hands and very tiny feet became clearer as the tech pointed each feature out to Catherine in the dark room.

“He’s so small,” breathed Catherine.

Catherine winced at the cold, green jelly applied again to her belly. She felt the tech move the Ultrasound wand around landing on a spot closer to her chest.

“Here is the girl, Twin B.” Lindsay’s voice directed Catherine to a different part of the screen. “She is in the breech position right now.” The tech commented as Catherine spotted another tech jotting down the remark. “Her legs are facing down and her head is up. It’s like she is sitting.”

Catherine watched in silence as Lindsay moved the wand around Catherine’s middle. More tiny hands and feet became apparent as the lab tech pointed them out.

“She’s seems…. Bigger.” Catherine noticed.

“She is,” Lindsay replied. “Not to worry, this is common in non-identical twins. We will just watch Twin A’s growth. If we have to, we can schedule a Level II Ultrasound, but I don’t think it’s a problem at the moment.”

Awe struck. That was the feeling Catherine felt as she watched the monitor. A tear crept from the corner of her eye.
So much has changed since she had Lindsey, seeing the babies was a truly breathtaking image.
Charlotte had the right idea of leaving all the death behind and focusing on the beginning of life.

~~~~

The days flowed into each other as word of Catherine’s pregnancy seeped into the lab.

Coming into her office was always a surprise. Packages of diapers, usually in two’s, lined her desk. Bottles also lined her desktop many with pink or blue lids as a mountain of stuffed animals began to take up residence in the corner.
Notes and cards littered the space around the computer, many from people she never knew.

One night, after deciding maybe it was okay to talk to Grissom, she instead wound up accusing him of being jealous of her life and having a second chance to have children. She gave up trying to talk to him and headed for her office to clear her head.

A feeling came over her. Not the usual nausea, but another feeling. She kept thinking, what if Grissom is right? She and Tony love each other, but, is it enough? They are not married and he lives in a different state for God’s sake. Most of their communication has been over the phone, more so recently. Is that any way to have a relationship let alone marriage? Having children at age 44? Is it really worth heading into life altering events when so many other puzzle pieces aren’t in place?

After finding yet more animals, diapers, and baby essentials piled on her desk, a note stood out.
It was on yellow card stock with a white duck on the front taped to a box.
She opened the card

Catherine,

I’m so glad we are sharing the office. I never would have learned of your wonderful news so quickly if we hadn’t.

I want you to know, I am so happy for you and the detective. I’m sure you are as thrilled at the chance at becoming a mother again. It’s such a wonderful time and I’m sure you are looking forward to your two small blessings.

Please take these small tokens as a sign of my happiness for you..

Sincerely,

Dana Dalton
CSI Day Shift Supervisor

Catherine wiped off a tear from her eye as she read the note again before opening the box.

Inside was a large glass duck with two small yellow ducks attached to each side.

Catherine never understood Dana’s fascination with ducks, but at that moment they were the most beautiful things Catherine had seen all day.

That gesture alone, made Catherine feel like it was worth venturing into motherhood… again.

~~~

“Please, say you’ll come.” Catherine pleaded into the phone. “I know I said I’d come to you, but..., I really need you right now. I feel fat and I can’t decide what I crave more; chocolate milk or onion rings.”

She heard him laugh on the other end of the phone. Catherine walked over to the door of her office. She saw Nick as he waved to her in passing. She returned his wave and quickly closed the door.

“None of my clothes fit anymore. I’m tired, hungry and horny all the time,” She felt her face turn red. “Please, please, baby, please, come here, I just don’t think I’m up for getting on a plane.”

“Okay, Okay, you’ve got me.” Tony responded. “But you have to do something for me.”

“Sure, what’s that?” Catherine asked.

“You have to think about and just think about moving here. We can start over, you and me and our family.”

“Err, I’ll think about it.”

“Promise?” He questioned.

“Wait until you see me. I’m so big.” She beamed deftly changing the subject.

“I can’t wait to see you. Do you know how long I have waited to see your face and to touch your growing body?”

“HMM Really?” Catherine smirked.

I can’t stand being in my apartment alone,” He continued.

“Why is that?” Catherine asked playfully.

“Because all I do is sit around and think of you. I think about how you look now. I think about your face being slightly fuller and your chest getting bigger. Oh God Catherine, all I do is think about your curves and your expanding belly. Let’s just say I think about you all the time.”

Catherine smiled at his comment. “I’m glad I’m on your mind.”

“I also know you and your tenacity to keep doing your job regardless of the pregnancy. I know how determined you are,” he started, “You are pretty ruthless when it comes to some things, and stubborn too. I hope our children have some of your stubbornness.
“But”, he added, “you also have a strand of vanity that keeps you from completely letting things go while you are pregnant.”

“I’m not that bad am I?” Catherine questioned as she listened to him. “But, if you keep talking to me like that, I’ll have to jump you the first moment I see you.”

“That’s why I fell in love with you.” He joked. “But seriously, I really want you to think about my offer of the house here. We can’t keep side-stepping this you know.”

“Yeah, I know,” She breathed. “So, I’ll see you at the end of next week.”

“It’s a good thing I have frequent flyer miles, I think I’m going to need them over the next few months.” Tony added.

“So, does that mean you are willing to come back here?” She asked with excitement.

“We’ll see,” Tony said smiling.

Awesome update hhunter, I could really feel Cath's emotion pouring through at the ultrasound, also her excitement, when she spoke with Tony. Can't wait for your next update.

LMH :)

This is so fantastic, i'd love to read the next chapters with Tony and Cath together!
Really cute!!! Please continue...

I really love your story!!!
I hope you write some more!!!
I really like the title of your fan fic for some reason! its catchy.

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's another update

Thanks again to Bev for the beta. :D

A friend from the past

“Why am I always defending myself to you?” Catherine asked Grissom one night over the evidence table, “I don’t owe you anything,” she defended.

“No, you don’t,” He blankly said lost in his usual thoughts.

Catherine studied the photos of the blood evidence from the crime scene she and Grissom were working on. She jotted down some notes and reached for the tape recorder. She paid no attention to Grissom as he poured over the notes from the scene at the other end of the table.

“Did it ever occur to you that maybe I am jealous?” Grissom broke in not looking at her.

Catherine stood in silence. Her thought process halted. Confusion and sheer amazement kept her from speaking.

“Jealousy is not something we, as humans, easily admit,” He added looking now in her direction.

“So, you want to sleep with me?” She asked half-joking. Desire, fear of rejection and the resurrection of an old fantasy coursed through her at the thought of making love to her friend.

Grissom scrunched his eyebrows together upon hearing her remark, “No, not like that.”

“I am jealous of you,” Grissom started. “I’m jealous that you are moving forward with your life and I am…. I am…. Well let’s just say I’m not. I’ve been doing the same thing for over 20 years. I don’t get out much, I don’t have many hobbies, and I’m not good with people…”

“So, what are you saying?” She asked putting down the recorder.

“I want what you have,” He said immediately afterwards. “I want a family. I want someone to settle down with and grow old with. I want someone to read with at night. I want someone to talk to and hold hands with.”

Disbelief flooded her as she listened to Grissom’s emotion filled words.

“Catherine, I’m really sorry I said those things to you. I was just surprised by your news. I guess I never figured you for the nuclear-family type, that’s all.”

“What makes you think I’m not?”

“I just never thought you would first; have another child, second, get married again. You are going to get married, you and the Detective?” Grissom enquired.

Her frustration grew as she felt it reach her esophagus. She began to feel a burning sensation in her throat again; similar to the last time she and Grissom had a conversation.

She sighed then began, “His name is Tony,” Catherine pointed out upset at the idea that Grissom didn’t know his name.

“Second, if and when we get married is not your concern,” Her eyes narrowed.

She went back to studying the photos. She looked up briefly to see Grissom return his gaze to crime scene notes.

An hour passed, possibly two, before Catherine heard her stomach growl. She rubbed her belly.

“So, was that some sort of half-assed apology?” She asked as he looked up.

“I guess,” Grissom said in his usual manner.

Her tongue found the top of her lip followed by her bottom teeth. She felt her teeth bear down on her lip as she searched for the right words.

Then, out of the corner of her eye, she noticed something, a random drop of blood on the first picture that didn’t look right. Her skillful eyes focused on the tiny drops of blood that lay on the concrete steps in the photo.

“We have to go back to the crime scene,” she blurted out. “This, right here, “she said shoving the photo towards Grissom, “this drop is not consistent with the others in either directionality or size. There was either another victim or the suspect injured themselves.”

Catherine’s animated voice broke Grissom of his trance.

“Did you hear me?” Her impatient tone prompted a response.

“You are not going anywhere,” Grissom stared at her from across the table. “I’m not having you go back to the scene, not in your condition.”

“What, why not? You need me, this drop of blood is new evidence and I need to go back and re-examine the scene,” Her voice implored.

“I’m not going to have one of my top CSI’s, who just happens to be in ….how should I say this, in a family way, going back to a potentially dangerous crime scene. I’ll go.”

Grissom stood back from the evidence table as he watched Catherine. She straightened out her body upon hearing that he would go to the scene instead of her. Grissom continued to watch Catherine mull over the words he just spoke to her. Her hand found its way to her belly again as a small smile crept on her face. Acceptance came in the form of a smile towards him when she realized he was right about going back to a dangerous crime scene.

“I’ll bring all the blood evidence right back here to you, I promise,” Grissom said flashing a smile. “Maybe you and Archie can go over the video footage. Possibly there was a second victim.”

Lowering her head in acknowledgement and slight embarrassment, “Thanks, Grissom,” Catherine got out.

“Don’t say I’m not watching out for you,” He winked as he walked out of the evidence room.

“Hey Archie, I have a video I’d like to go over with you, got a few?” She asked startling the tech practically out of his chair.

“Oh hey Cath,” his smooth voice replied. “I’m actually going over some stuff for Nick. Since Sara left, there is never a shortage of cases,” He leaned back from the screen he was studying. “I’ll be done in about half an hour or so,” looking down at his watch. “Why don’t you take a break,” he glanced then at Catherine’s middle, “I’ll be ready for you then. How does that sound?”

One of the things Catherine admired about Archie, nothing seemed to rattle him. His smooth voice and calm manner made some of the grisliest cases more bearable. No matter how much pressure Grissom or the rest of the team put on him, he always came through with out hesitation or fault. The respect he had for the CSI’s as well as the police has always been evident. On several occasions he had even seemed to lighten the mood with a joke or a quick remark.

“Okay, sounds good, thanks Archie,” She shot back to him from the doorway of the A/V lab.

A sigh of relief came as she walked towards the break room. Going over the photos had taken a lot out of her. Catherine tired more easily these days. The constant battle she and Grissom seemed to be in was easing up; but it was the job that drained her of her energy. She felt it now more than ever.

The break room was empty. Another sigh of relief came out as she eased onto the couch leaning her head back against the cold faux leather.
Light from the hallway crept through the white slats of the blinds into the otherwise dark room. The only sound in the room was the low humming of the small refrigerator as she felt her eyes close.

The door to the break room opened with a creek. Her momentary peace and quiet was disrupted by a voice she thought she recognized.

“Wow, so it is true,” A voice boomed into the quiet room.

Catherine’s eyes quickly opened.

“Excuse me,” was all Catherine could get out as she lifted her head and sat up on the couch.

“I wasn’t sure if the rumors were true, but now I know they are. You are definitely pregnant.”

“Jacqui?” Catherine confusedly asked.

“In the flesh,” Jacqui remarked sitting next to Catherine.

Catherine smoothed her hair quickly, pulling her thoughts together. A small wave of panic filled her.

“So, Jacqui patted Catherine’s arm, “how did this happen? Okay, don’t answer that, I know how this happened, but I mean, how did this happen? Obviously referring to Catherine’s pregnancy.

“Jacqui,” Catherine stumbled out her name, ‘what are you doing here?” she asked as her panic subsided a little.

“Oh yeah, Grissom apparently told Ecklie that the Graveyard shift needed of some more lab support. He said one of the CSI’s is having some family issues, so Ecklie switched me back to Graveyard. Let me tell you, it was one huge adjustment coming from days,” the tech told Catherine.

“Grissom,” Catherine huffed.

“I don’t think it’s that bad,” Jacqui added, “I get to work with you again,” she said smiling towards Catherine. “Well, at least for a while anyway.”

“That’s nice, I’ve actually missed you too,” Catherine replied.
Her uneasiness disappeared when her friend looked at her and smiled again. Catherine’s eyes met Jacqui’s warm brown eyes.

“So, tell me about Detective Vartann,” Jacqui asked. “I mean, how did you two meet? How long have you been an item? And why is he living in… Seattle is it?” The lab tech fired at Catherine.

Jacqui was the type of friend that didn’t judge her and listened to what she had to say. Because of this, Catherine felt she could tell her anything. The two women have shared many a beer discussing the wonderful and awful attributes of men, dating and raising children. Catherine didn’t have many friends from work that she felt that comfortable with. Although Catherine did consider Sara a friend, she and Jacqui seem to have more in common. She never felt Jacqui would ever betray her confidence or talk behind her back especially about situations at work.
Catherine wanted to tell someone about how she felt about Tony.

“Let me tell you”, Catherine started leaving her inhibitions behind, “when I think of him my toes curl,” she smiled surprising herself at her own comment.
“Really,” Jacqui smiled in anticipation of Catherine’s next sentence.

“I mean, when I saw him standing there on my birthday all I wanted to do was touch him, and feel him and surround myself with him,” she continued. Her words began to make her blush.

“I seriously think I had most of his clothes off by the time we reached the top of the stairs,” Catherine’s words continued to spill from her mouth. “Let’s just say I’m glad Lindsey’s room is down the hall from mine,” her cheeks blushed even more.

“Wow, that’s some hot romance,” Jacqui interrupted.

“Yeah, It was, and I don’t think I’ve told anyone that before,” she admitted as the blush remained on her cheeks.

“I’m flattered,” Jacqui commented. “But, what are you going to do? Are you going to get married? Are you going to move to Seattle? I mean, what’s the story here?” her friend questioned.

“You sound just like Lindsey,” Catherine stated half joking. “At this point, I’m not really sure,” she admitted again. “He bought a house, I think he expects us to move there but then he talks about coming back here. It’s really up in the air right now. He’s coming here at the end of the week, I’m sure we’ll have lots of things to talk about.”

Relief came to Catherine as she lay back against the couch again. It felt good to have someone just listen to her. She also didn’t realize how good it felt to answer all the nagging bothersome questions that everyone seems to be asking. She didn’t know how to answer them until now.

“Let me ask you this then,” Jacqui started, “Do you love him?”

“Yeah, I do,” Catherine replied without hesitation.

“Then I’m sure you two will figure something out. I’m sure Grissom would be willing to let you go.

“And on that note, I’d better go and see what’s needed. I’m so glad I got to talk with you. Take care of yourself Catherine,” Jacqui said as she reached over and wrapped her arms around Catherine’s shoulders.

“Thanks, I will,” Catherine added as she watched Jacqui stand up and walk out of the break room.

Back