Petersen, Fox, Dourdan Leave, Larry Fishburne In *No Spoilers* Closed

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by addictedtoSpeed, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Re: Petersen Leaving! Who Gets Grissoms Position?

I don't know if anyone else did, but I did! :lol: Not that they're considering him, but I don't think he's too old. He's closer to Grissom's age than Sara is. :p

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Tommy Lee Jones is 62, and on the show Grissom's character is 50, I believe, and what on earth does Sara have to do with this?:confused: the one they pick age has nothing to do with the position, at all if it did then Cath would be the better match she's more Grissom's age! I think the're looking for a versatile actor like WP who can do anything or be a lab geek with the profoundness of this character who so appropriately plays one now!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  3. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Being that they are looking for someone different from Grissom, maybe more moody and a little darker, I would say LF would be a good choice. I'm pretty sure they are not looking for 'charming'; I think they are looking for someone who could believably be a serial killer, whether they take it in that direction or not. And they do need another African-American, IMO. Someone mentioned Dennis Haysbert from '24' but he is in 'The Unit', another CBS show.
    The more I think about LF, the more I can see a great potential for his character; he can be intelligent, eccentric and a little eerie. And he has a great screen presence, but can be subtle so as not to overshadow the rest of the cast.

4. LaSquisita

LaSquisita Rookie

I love Tommy Lee Jones! He's not too old and he really did go to Harvard. Believe it or not, he roomed with Al Gore there. He can be both tough and funny. Remember "Men in Black"? :rommie: :klingon: :alienblush:
    LaSquisita

5. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

I would love to see Tommy Lee Jones in CSI; I didn't consider him at first because of his movie stature. But if they're looking at L. Fishburne, why not TLJ? Not only MIB, but, more seriously, last year's No Country for Old Men, the other lead in The Fugitive and US Marshals (and Loretta Lynn's teenaged husband in Coal Miner's Daughter, if you really want to go back :lol:). He's that rarity who can do comedy and drama with equal ease. Imagine the quick comedic one-liner, followed up with a glare, just to keep his co-workers off balance. :)

6. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

Delroy Lindo would be good! Kurt Russell? In my opinion I can't see him as a CSI either. Why does it have to be a blockbuster actor? You know, some of the best actors are the unheard of ones. I know they are looking for a ratings boost and everything but I mean, look at GE, JF, GD, and ES. They weren't exactly "big" name actors and definately not household names, but they are some of th best actors on television. You know what I mean?

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Tommy Lee Jones would be fantastic, one of my favorites for sure, but he's not going to leave his movie roles to do a grueling TV show, ya' think? and he hasn't been mentioned! and it doesn't have to be a big name as stated, I'd never heard of these people except Marg, so maybe the've got something up their sleeves, we know nothing of:confused:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  8. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I know this one is not all that plausable, but if they want a black man who can do a lot of different things, I can really see Denzel Washington. He's done so many versatile performances, and can pretty much do anything, including dark and brooding.

Although, the only drawback as I see it is the fact that like LF, Micheal Keaton, etc he probably won't leave the big bucks of Hollywood for a TV show.

However, I think Denzel would rock as a CSI.

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Anthony Hopkins would be a great choice-except that he might tell Nick that he'd like to have his liver with some fava beans...

Or...that's actually how we would lose Grissom-he'd come to visit him because he wanted to have a nice dinner with him..and he'd have Sara for desert.

And that's how GSR would end..only in my dreams...

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, John Malkovich was their first choice, he turned it down, so they went to Laurence Fishburne (their second choice), if he turns it down, they'll go to Kurt Russell (their third choice)... and you know what they say "third time's the charm". And Kurt has actually done tv shows before (when he was younger), so he'd probably be able to better get acclimated to the tv schedule than someone who has never done a tv show weekly.

I could kind of see TLJ though. But, I don't think he'd do it. Denzel would be cool, but again, I can't see him saying yes either. :lol: I kind of like Carl Weathers. Haven't seen him in anything lately.

Grissom is almost 52 I think. They said in those eps with the bathtub killings that Grissom's birthdate is August 17th, 1956. I remembered that cause Aug 17th is my Dad's bday and my mom was born in 1955. :)

By the way, Liev Schriber (I probably spelled his last name incorrectly) who played Keppler was fairly well-known in some circles before he was on CSI. His most famous film role or the one he's most well-known for was as Cotton Weary in the Scream Trilogy. Wasn't he only in 3 eps of CSI? That's kind of funny. 3 eps of CSI and 3 Scream movies. :lol:

I just thought of someone. What about Aidan Quinn?

11. GameFace

GameFace Lab Technician

I wonder if going for a 'big name' is the right thing for them now.

I know why they would go that route - they are understandibly worried of the impact of losing their main man, and to try and counter that, they think that bringing in a 'big name' would keep CSI in the spotlight.

But, what sort of impact would it have on the rest of the main cast?

One of the things that makes William Petersen good at what he does (and perfect for his character in CSI), is that he isn't this 'in yer face' actor who plays up to the camera. He's a very diciplined actor. And works with the cast as a collaborative effort. Look at Eads getting the chance to put in a performance in Grave Danger, Dourdan the same in Cockroaches directed by Mr Petersen's mentor William Friedkin - seriously, eposides like this, directed by renowned directors, a star would be ALL OVER that in a far bigger way.

Would a 'movie star' actor be willing to allow a lower down ther pecking order cast mate (for want of a better way of describing!) be such a focus of such high exposure episides? I wonder how the other long term cast members like Marg Helgenberger and Eads would react if someone came in and was a far more in your face, less collaborative lead than William.

I'd love to see 'em show some balls and go for someone less obvious, who I don't know! But not an already big star.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I agree with you, Gameface. I too am a little worried about the impact a big A-list star would have. That's why some of my suggestions are not huge A-listers. But, if they are determined to go with an A-lister (or even a one time A-lister) then there are many more I'd rather see than LF. Like I said, he's a good actor, but I just cannot picture him with the rest of the cast. That image just doesn't work for me. :lol:

Wait... I just thought of someone... Blair Underwood.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  13. GameFace

GameFace Lab Technician

I wonder about Fishburne as well. Nothing against the guy, I think he's pretty cool. But I'm finding it hard to picture it also. But hey, you never know, it may just work!

I get the feeling that they are maybe going for the 'quick fix' short term? Getting a high impact actor as it where for the rest of the new season maybe? And I'm not sure if that's the right way to go.

Do the makers of the original and best CSI have the faith to go with a less obvious name? Do they think the show will be strong enough to continue as one of the most watched shows on TV? If they do, then they should have no problem taking a risk, if they don't, then they will go down this route. Getting a star name would mean CSI would be much talked about this season, and a lot of attention would be put upon it. That's maybe what they feel is necessary.

14. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Police Officer

Been away for awhile - basically screwed up my linix WiFi by fiddling....

Anyway, Gameface, I think this is one of the best analysis of the way the show works that I have ever read. Yes you are right about the putting the young guys forward for the key directors. It brings to mind too how much they put the "Without a Trace" guy into center stage of the CSI episode during the cross-over. But when it came to the reciprocal episode of With out a Trace - Grissom/WP was just a cameo appearance and hardly in it! They did not use the crossover potential much. Shows the relative calibre of the writers I think.

I would think the producers will be careful not to employ a pre madonna that will spoil the balance of the show's cast. Choose a Mac rather than a Horatio! Better still a Grissom! Heck a House would be good! Though that is abit of a one man show for CSI.

I for one am going to SOOOOO miss the Main Man - as he IS CSI for me. But that is just me!

15. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

As much as I like speculating about and picturing big name actors in the role, I basically agree with Game Face. When CSI started, only Marg was an award winning actor, and that for TV. Look how the show took off. In all seriousness, I hope they stick to a seasoned TV veteran who "plays well with others" because CSI has always been intended to be an ensemble. And (as much as I enjoy David Caruso hamming it up on Miami) no David Caruso wannabes for Las Vegas, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.