Opinion On CSI Becoming More Character Focused

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Muzzy_Olorea, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crysthala

Crysthala CSI Level One

In the immortal words of William Petersen- "If CSI were all about the science, these people would be watching the Discovery Channel. But it isn't, and they're not."
    In my opinion, more character development is good... really good. But they do need to have case-y stuff too, and I agree with WillowsWannaBe- this ain't Grey's Anatomy.

2. Sandle_Luver

Sandle_Luver Witness

Duhhh! Its a really good thing! It helps us (the fans) understand how the cases affect them much better!

3. Fabian

Fabian Pathologist

Especially at this point, yes, I'd like the show more character focused. Season 5 was pretty heave on personal lives (which I loved) but also well balanced, and it was kind of relieving that season 6 took a step back and focused on the cases again. But what would be relieving now is that we'd see some personal stuff again. But I don't want to see any 'Weeping Willows' stuff going on, an episode like that is just too much.

About the G/S relationship, I think that TPTB will be subtle about it, which is best.
    I would like to know more about Sara's past and some stuff about Greg (give him a storyline already!).
    We can expect quite some Warrick development and Cath/Warrick tension, which I think is okay.
    Some Brass shooting aftermath would be nice, or hearing how his relationship with Ellie is now.
    But above anything, I would love for TPTB to be spontaneous! Like the tram split in season 5. That was really exciting.

4. Joy22

Joy22 Pathologist

I like more focus on the characters but only if we get to see a bit more about all the characters. I don't want to see just Cath again. Give me something on the others too.
    Also, I don't want it to interfere with the cases. As a sidebar, fine but the science come first.

5. luv_danny

luv_danny Prime Suspect

I voted for wouldn't mind as long as the cases are good. CSI:LV is the only CSI part that actually focuses on the cases but only rarely gives the characters some background. CSI:NY is the one who gives the background to the characters. I actually won't mind if they did.

---------------------

"What we gain by science is, after all, sadness." Thomas Hardy.

6. Roosey

Roosey Captain

It's a very good thing, it's a crime-show, with the evil :devil: criminals.. but I really don't mind seeing more of the characters. I haven't seen much of Greg, though. I'd love to see more of his life. And I'd really love to see more from Sara, good thing to say for a Sara-fan, don't you think?

7. screamingpoet

screamingpoet CSI Level One

I wouldn't mind knowing more about Greg. I mean, we hear about Papa Olaf a lot *rolls eyes* but I don't really think that counts as backstory. CSI:NY is really character-focused (S2 was all Danny) and I'd like to see a little more of that on LV.

8. jordan

jordan Rookie

i agree about the not going overboard thing. i don't want the show to become all about the characters' personal lives instead of the cases. that's what the show's all about and if they loose that they're screwed. but i think they'll manage. the people who write the show are amazing.

9. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

I think it could be a good thing as long as the writers can play their cards right, and can strike a balance of moderation between cases and personal lives.

10. Jasmine

Jasmine Lab Technician

Also i think is better for them to get more character focused so they can at least be nominated for an emmy as individual actors. Because yeah they have won an emmy as the whole show itself but they havent been nominated as individuals because they dont show character focused ya'll know what i mean?? They need this so the judges or whoever votes for emmies see that they know that they do know how to act and are really great actors. Because if that wasnt the case then the 25-30 million people that watch it wont be watching the show it it wasnt for them.

11. coolcatz

coolcatz Head of the Swing Shift

actually marg has been nominated for an emmy for catherine, which explains why cath drama works so well.

12. csikicksurass

csikicksurass Captain

i love the idea as long as the characters get involved with the cases and each time we learn more about them, like when nick was molested (awwww poor nick:() but thats what i mean

13. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Just FYI. CSI has never won an Emmy, and as coolcatz said, Marg Helgenberger was nominated for best leading actress in a drama series for Catherine on CSI. I don't get why we should care so much about Emmys since CSI has been recognized by so many other awards and most importatnly, the viewers. They won an SAG for best emsemble cast last year, and both the show and Marg have won People's Choice Awards.

I agree with csikicksurass that as long as they make character development with cases and reveal their backgrounds or private lives a little at a time, character development will be just fine. But romantic relationships between colleagues? No, thanks. I ship for fun and I never expect any ship to really happen on the show. It's disturbing and could overshadow the whole show.

14. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

My question, though, is why do we think that CSI will become more focused on characters? I mean, I know what the press release said, but they do throw out a lot of that kind of thing in a year, and very little of it ends up being as big as they made it sound.

After all, Catherine got a divorce, Warrick got married, Catherine's husband died, Nick got locked in a box and slept with a hooker who later died, Brass had to save his daughter twice... and none of these events really rocked the show's format long-term.

15. JangoBear

JangoBear Lab Technician

I don't trust the current batch of writers to handle character development well considering how the second half of S6 went.

Character development doesn't mean them hooking up. I would love to see something like the following:

A case that gives us insight into what makes Grissom be Grissom. A return of Zephyr the magician to taunt him again.

I would love to see an episode of how he and Catherine started working together a la flashbacks regarding a cold case they worked on.

We barely know anything about Warrick. What happened to his parents? How about showing how he became a CSI.

How about an episode showing how Nick is always trying to live up to his parents expectations through a case that hits too close to home. A promising young man from a prominent family is found murdered. Did the parents have anything to do with it because he didn't meet their impossible standards?

A Greg focused case where he uses his lab rat skills to step up and solve a case.

A Sara story where an old case from San Francisco resurfaces in Las Vegas and gives us insight into what Sara's life was like there and what pushed her to the edge that made her jump at Grissom's offer.

Just a few thoughts. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.