Now That Petersen, Fox, Dourdan Are Gone

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I agree with you Kimbo08, it's almost contradictory. Besides, so far, CSI is surviving just fine without Grissom. They ratings really haven't dipped and probably will go up for this Thursday's episode, because I'm sure all of Taylor Swift's fans will be watching.

Nope, haven't heard anything that Gary was doing. I thought he was filming a movie, but I'm not sure.

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Gary is doing a film in Paris, right now, and I think it one searches on GOOGLE, they can find all the info. and the ratings for week ending Feb. 22, did dip way down to #7:( "Miscarriage of Justice" no data yet on last week's ep.!

RATINGS

Neilsen Media Research

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Yes they are down, but they are over Grey's and the other shows ahead of them are American Idol, NCIS and the Mentalist.

After nine years to be in the top 10 is still good.

4. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

Thankks speedystokesgirl for understanding what I'm saying!:)

myfuturecsi, I have to agree. The fact that they are in the Top 10 is good enough for me. It's American Idol season which means they are gonna dominate until June. Plus, NCIS has had a double digit percentage jump, which of course, is going to put them above CSI. The bottom line is, CSI didn't halt because WP left, as many assumed would happen. Instead it's surviving, and quite well frankly. I think the ratings dropped this episode was because it was a tad confusing for some (not me, but my parents and grandparents who are not CSI friendly were left thinking "huh?!") which made them want to tune out.

5. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

American Idol was on this past Thursday night when it usually is not, due to the State of the Union Address on Tuesday night, so that is a main reason why the ratings were lower this week. All my co-workers are AI fans...I am not, but that is how I know.

6. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I haven't really been on here since these changes happened so I thought I would put my two cents in. I really don't miss Sara. When it comes to Warrick I miss his banter between him and other characters at times. As for Grissom that is a loss that I will feel every episode till the end of the series. He was such an amazing character with so many layers. I feel like only part of the layers were even touched.

The characters that have stepped in like Ray have not made me happy at all. My husband finds the character of Ray to be interesting. I could live without him.

7. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I have a quick question for the Grissom/WP fans, do you not like Ray/LF because he has come in for WP or is it because he has technically taken over for him? Or is it simply the fact that you don't like the character, or the way he is perceived? OR could it be that the original team has broken up and the newbie lead has stepped in? Becuase I just want to know what the main reason is most don't like him, cause I find him quite refreshing and a great breath of fresh air, but that's just my opinion.

This hasn't been talked about in here, but I know alot of people have read the article George Eads did with AOL. From what GE has said, it was almost like the set was a happier place once they left. The way he talked about the fact the WP and JF didn't really want to be there anymore, and the fact that GD was late frequently, which we found out was because of the issues he was having personally. He also said that he talked to Lauren and said "Thanks for not being a diva." or something to that affect, which I took to mean that the recently departed JF was a diva.

Based on what he said, it seems as if the right people, including Lauren and Laurence, are still there, even though it may not feel that way to certain viewers. I'm not bringing this up to cause conflict, I just want to see how other people feel about this.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  8. Criminologist86

Criminologist86 Pathologist

There's nothing really wrong with him, I think LF is a good actor and a talented man, however I don't like him because he's literally taken over. In every single screencap you see, LF is in it, almost without exception.
    Also, yes, the original team is broken up, Billy is gone, and I hate change. LF will never fill the shoes Billy left behind, as hard as he tries....Nothing against the man, he's awesome, but he's pushed on us too hard and too often.

9. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

The only problem I have with the screencap argument, is that WP was always in the screencaps and int he previews and at the forrfront of the magazine articles and promotional pictures. So it's nothing really different for me. The torch has been passed from WP to LF, so it is to be expected, after all, that is what they brought him on for, right?

10. Criminologist86

I would disagree with that, but screencaps aren't really at the forefront of the issue.
    I have always been happy with the humbleness of LF, I appreciate that he didn't come on and gloat or constantly enlighten the press about how he would "fill the big shoes of WP" or whatever; he came on and said "I can't do this as well as Billy, but I'm gonna do my best" (in essence. That's not a quote)
    That I appreciate about him, however, I don't see him as a replacement for Billy...I don't know why, because in any other show I might see it that way, but Billy is still there as E.P and to me, he's still there.
    TPTB are really pushing LF on us, not as obnoxiously or distastefully as Riley, but still, he's not being as eased into a lead role as he should. If anything, Catherine should have been put in the lead for a while, while LF eased into his role and we got used to him.
    It's just the result of us still having a very hard time getting over Billy leaving as an actor. I STILL have a hard time with it...

*sigh* That was a lot ;p

11. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I agree. LF has come in with such a humbleness. Which makes it hard for me to understand why some people don't like him, which was the point of my original post.

I think part of the problem is that some people have problems deciphering between the character and the actor who plays said character. I have noticed that on other boards as well; people use the characters name when dealing with the actor and vice versa. I have also done it. So I think people dislike for the character of Ray has leaked in to their feelings for LF, which is too bad.

I also agree that Catherine should have been at the forefront, because technically she is still the leader of the team, even if we see more LF. They should have eased Ray in a little easier, which is really the only problem I have with the character. Other than that, I find the character of Ray to be quite unique and complex, which reminds me alot of Gil.

12. Criminologist86

I haven't been watching regularly to see the "complexity" people claim LF/Ray has....I think Grissom (and Billy as a person) is by far the most complex character I have ever encountered on a TV show, period. Every time you think you have that gorgeous hunk of man figured out, a new or different side pops up, and you go "WOW".

Even if they had thrown Nicky in the forefront as leader, it would have been better, but not as good as Cath, because she has had far more leadership experience than Nicky. Anyway, ease of character into a lead role is very important, & I'm surprised that TPTB threw LF into the mix like they did...Not that they did something wrong...

Like I said, I have NO problems with Laurence as a person or as an actor, I think he's talented and very good, and humble, however I think Ray is being thrown at us still a bit too quickly, and that is causing problems with his llikeability (sp?) as a character and I think people associate the character with the man, just as they did with <3 Billy.

13. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I think the reason I do not care for the LF/Ray deal is that I do not feel a connection to the character. I connected with Grissom very much. The fact he was an animal lover and kind odd with the bug thing was a great connection. Ray doesn't have anything about him that makes me want to get inside his mind. Maybe the character will grow on me, but so far I feel nothing. And there have been other characters on CSI shows that have come in late that I have connected with. Just not working for me.

14. Criminologist86

OOOOOOOOO that is a VERY VERY GOOD POINT!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm not using caps to yell at you, I'm just very enthusiastic! :p)
    I have to say that's something I agree 100% with, but never thought about it, at least not enough to put it into words. You are a GENIUS!

YES, Ray doesn't give us any kind of connection basis...there's no curiosity about his past, there's no desire by fans to even give him a second look, because we almost know where he's been (professor of Criminology, correct?) and where he is now (CSI) and where he's going (CSI) so it's like "Ok...what is there to wonder about?" The only thing that may be of interest is how he's going to handle cases week-by-week, but that's not exactly a fishhook for me. I am SO GLAD you said that!!

15. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

But, we have only experience Ray for 11 episodes so far. We had Grissom for NINE years. There is no basis for comparison. If they made Ray so likeable early on, then ppl would complain they are making him too likeable or whatever. I say give Ray and TPTB more time to create this character before we judge him so harshly.