Now That Petersen, Fox, Dourdan Are Gone

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

That is the difference between the way the introduced Riley, and the way they introduced Ray. Ray was a slow intro, and then they packed him on thick. Riley was packed on thick, and is now been put on the breaks. Either way, I believe the new arrivals are a breath of fresh air for CSI: LV. And I think that's what the show needed.

I have to agree that Riley was annoying at first, but she has grown on me a tad, and I think it's cause they pulled back the reigns. Now if only they could put the breaks a little on Ray...but that's for another board.

Overall, I think LF is fantastic as his role as Ray. He seems to really, dig deep with both hands and in fact, reminds me of Grissom. It's awesome how well he's adapted to the character and to the cast. Kudos to casting and TPTB for picking such a great guy.

I agree myfuturecsi. Sex sells. Grey's Anatomy has alot of it. I don't blame the 18 to 49 demo for flocking to them.

And thanks myfuturecsi! I hope you enjoyed the stats!

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Last week with the NEW "Minty & Fresh" the ratings were CSI, 17,938 Nielsen Media Research, and came in 5th, LF is doing great but maybe he's a curiosty and a novelty, time tell, lets see how things and ratings go till May, the end of S/9.. I still like the old team, and thank goodness some are still with us, as far as Grissom and Sara and Warrick being gone, it's a hugh hole in the show, for me and others:(

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Yes, but the remaining cast are filling in that hole just perfectly.:thumbsup::bolian::thumbsup::bolian:

CSI came in fifth behind American Idol which took one and two, then came the Mentalist at 3 and NCIS at 4. CSI is five, that is pretty darn good for a show that is nine years old.

We have to put all this in context, folks. This show has been around for nine years and has lost three major cast members.

It has the longevity it needs, without Grissom.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  4. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Except for special episodes of CSI, like the premieres of seasons 8 & 9, and Grissom's departure episodes, Grey's has always beat CSI in the younger demo's, so that is nothing new. The Office and 30 Rock draw mostly younger viewers at that hour, too.

5. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I'm in that 18-49 demo and I don't watch Grey's. Personally, its too soapy for me. Besides the do the same old storylines every soap does: they're together, now they're not together, they're back together, ooops I blinked, now they're not together, I slept with him/her, but didn't mean too, etc. etc....:rolleyes: Not to mention, they keep repeating these storylines within the show and the characters a million times.

Besides, Grey's is losing two characters too. It will be interesting to see if their ratings dip any.

Now when Sara left, I felt no hole in the show as I wasn't sad to see her go (but that's me). When Warrick was killed, I felt a hole, but that's gone too. I guess I'm just used to him not being there. Now, I probably miss when Nick works a case that would've been perfect for those two (like the mailbox baseball case). I will always miss their friendship. Nick just doesn't have that best friend anymore. :(

As for Grissom, I really don't feel a hole either (again, that's me). Don't get me wrong, Grissom will always be one of my favorite TV Characters. I miss him, yes, but just like all the others, eventually you just get used to them not being there.

I don't think the ratings for CSI will dip much, but, yes, time will tell. Those who say (and I'm not saying anyone in particular) that the cases and writing stinks since Grissom left have to remember that those cases and writing would still be there even if Grissom never left. Sorry, you can't blame that if you don't like the case and/or writing.

However, I also believe there's a different feel to CSI. Of course there will be, three characters are gone, but I also believe that CSI has gone back to its roots. To me, it feels like the old CSI of earlier seasons and I hope it stays that way.

6. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I agree with almost everything you said. I am also in the 18 to 49 demo, and I HATE Grey's. It is not realistic to me and like you said, too soapy.

There are three main characters gone, so yes, there will seem to be a "hole" in the show. But waht some of us are trying to do is make it positive! Not moan about the fact that they are gone. Yes, it is a sad thing, but the numbers don't lie. Their ratings are still up. And just be cause Minty Fresh came in number five doesn't mean anything. How about we focus on the other eleven episodes and the fact that they were up to par.

Is it so bad for some of us to remain positive about the fact that WP, GD, and JF are gone? You know, make something else out of it rather than bring up the other negative points?

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I'm also in the 18 to 49 group and do NOT watch Grey's. I've seen a few eps only because my grandma watches it and when we go to visit my dad, it's really the only thing on as that's the only channel that comes in well up there. :lol: (there's no cable there)

Anyway, I think CSI will do fine.

8. NightWitch

NightWitch Hit and Run

Yeah... I don't see the attraction either. Although I suppose I should probably actually watch the show first before making a comment like that, but I can't stand medical dramas, so just that alone is enough to repel me from watching Grey's even once. :shifty: Isn't ER enough? Why do we need 50 different medical drama shows (I feel the same about the CSI's for any Grey's fans who might get offended by that... seriously, who needs 50 different shows about the same thing?) That's why there are so few good shows on anymore - because everything is a remake of something else. :rolleyes:

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Well, ER is ending this season, and there are many more crime shows out there than medical shows. Even more than when Grissom complained back in 'I Like To Watch'. The Mentalist, a crime show, is the new hit in viewers, but also lags in the 18-49 demo.
    I don't like Grey's either, but my daughter and her friends do. But I do so love 'The Office'.
    I think in some ways CSI benefits from not being up against another crime show at that time. They give up the demo to Grey's and The Office, but dominate the hour with viewers who like the crime show genre, and there are certainly alot of them out there.

10. NightWitch

NightWitch Hit and Run

Oh. Didn't know that. :eek:
    Yeah, that's probably true. I tend to like crime dramas, but CSI is the only one I've ever really gotten into keeping up with and watching regularly. I've watched a few of the others and none of them "grab" me the way CSI does. Neither do the Miami and NY versions. And I definitely think there are way too many crime dramas too. Seriously, why do the producers and networks think we need three CSI's? There's no room left for anything original anymore. :(

Oh well... can't wait til tonight's ep!!! :drool:

11. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

CSI hasn't been the number 1 show for a while. The Mentalist and NCIS are the two most watched scripted shows this season so far. But so what? lol. As long as CSI remains one of the top shows and as long as the ratings are stable, I don't see it gone anytime soon. The departure of the three actors and their characters may have brought impact to the show, but obviously it wasn't as hard as some people had expected, or even hoped. I'm also sure that Larry Fishburne and Lauren Lee Smith, whether you like them and their characters or not, have brought new viewers. To me, CSI seems to be doing quite well at the moment, but yes, better writing is definitely, and maybe desperately needed. :lol:

12. GregNickRyanFan

OT- I read somewhere not too long ago that another channel (I think it was ABC, but don't quote me on that lol) might be interesting in picking up ER. :rolleyes: IMO, its time for that show to end. It's in what it's 14th season? :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure LF and LLS have some fans that flocked to CSI to see them. LF was already a pretty established actor and LLS probably has a nice following from when she was on Mutant X. Her character was liked/loved and a lot of people on the MX site I went to back then were really upset when her character was killed off.

13. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I'll indulge your OT, if I may. :lol:
    You may be thinking of Scrubs. It was picked up by ABC, but it is also set to end this season. So, I think this is it for ER; this is season 15. But what a great run it had. All the old stars have been making appearances this season, but the best is yet to come: George Clooney and Julianna Margulies, aka Doug and Carol. :)
    Nostalgia is setting in :sigh: ER was must see tv for me when it first started. And I guess Doug and Carol could be considered my first 'ship'. I haven't watched it much in the last 5 years or so, but I'm back to watch it come to an end, and of course to see George!

I wonder if CSI will make it 15 years? I won't be surprised if it does.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  14. GregNickRyanFan

No, it was definitely ER I read that about. It was long after I'd already known that Scrubs was moving to ABC. :lol: Cause I remember being like "oh come on!" and I wouldn't have had that response to Scrubs. :lol: Not that I particularly watch it. Although the "Guy Love" song and the JD/Turk friendship always makes me think of the Nicky/Warrick friendship. :lol: I actually think it was more worded like the other channel might be interested in picking up ER for another season. :lol: In other words, its not a definite thing. It's time to put that show to bed (no pun intended). :lol:

Oh, I hope CSI makes it to 15 seasons or more! :D

15. Criminologist86

Criminologist86 Pathologist

Yeah, but ER went to crap when all of the original cast left...I mean now it's ridiculous (I don't even watch it anymore, cos the only draw I had to it was because I was a nursing major...that's clearly changed ;p) and superficial and just not good anymore...and even though it's lasted this long, the quality has greatly deteriorated, and I think that'd happen if CSI went that long. I'm not saying it definitley would, but that seems to be the fate of most shows that last for 15 seasons.

I think by that time, Riley would be a supervisor *shudders* LF would have made some big exit, Gil and Cath would have run away together (FINALLY!)...I mean the show would be nothing like what it was originally intended to be, you know?
    *sigh*

Anyways, should we get back on topic now? :p