Nick Song Fic Ch #8 - "Angel"- Now up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I'm ready for a break.

But everyone else can go ahead. I've got an exam to write and essay to put together, so my time will be devoted to RL for a bit.

Keep writing and remember this is fan fiction, not American Idol, let's keep the reviews constructive. Too much criticism can hinder imagination, at least in my pov, but that's just me. I'm not the mod.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. KFK

KFK Witness

If you have another challenge I won't be able to participate this time around. It's end of semester time, and I have final's to get ready and term papers to grade...Oh goody!

I reposted my "Angels Around Us" on the fanfic site, and corrected all the errors and crap I wrote. If you're interested please re-read.

Take Care...

3. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Ready for the next one....and I agree with the above comments...this is not American Idol but a CSI fic challenge...so easy does it with the comments...constructive is much nicer.

4. americanstalker

americanstalker Witness

Let's do another one, I enjoyed writing the previous one.

5. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Depending on the song choice and if my muse doesn't take a vacation, I'll play another round.

6. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Well... I'd love to write another fic but I think my time will be limited during the holidays... I would hate to have another challenge with only a few stories... why not waiting until the holidays are over? I mean Christmas is the time where you meet with family and friends... it could be a problem.

I'll try to write one though... I just don't know if I'll have enough time for that... I'll be at my aunt's and uncle's and my auntie doesn't like it when I'm on the computer non stop :lol:

But I'll try to write if a new challenge should be up :D

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I'm still thinking about a new challenge and will post later today about it...as long as someone posts after me now so I can. ;)

But first I want to address the criticism issue. I think it's been obvious over the course of the challenges that some reviewers are more forthcoming about what they felt went well in the stories and what could have been improved upon. And some reviewers choose to just focus on the positive.

My personal opinion on my own stories is that I would like to hear what the reader liked in my story and also what they feel I could have done better, because I want to improve my writing and I want to know if I'm heading in a direction that the readers like. I understand that everyone has their own favorite genre or characters or way of writing, and they make not like the story itself...that's understandable, and that's not what we're here to be critical about. But things like style, grammar, etc...those are things that should be good and consistent in any story, and I have absolutely no problem with someone pointing out how I can improve on that.

I see that not everyone is looking for that type of feedback on their stories here, so maybe some clarification is in order. In the feedback guidelines we ask for constructive and positive feedback, meaning that it's meant to be helpful. As long as it's not mean or flaming, constructive means it's meant to help improve the story.

By posting our stories here and joining in the challenge, we are agreeing to accept such criticism. If that's not why you're here...if you are looking for a showcase for your story and no input on how you can improve, then maybe your story should be posted in it's own thread here or on FF. Otherwise, just let me know when you send in your story that you do not want feedback and I will post that note along with your story.

Again, speaking for myself, I am here to keep writing and hopefully get better at it, and I'm thankful for the suggestions on how I can do that. I've seen several writers here come very far with their writing since they started the challenge, and I think that's great! That's why we're doing this. :)

ETA
    : By the way, since I beta a lot of the stories, the criticism on some things really belongs to me, no matter who wrote the stories! :lol:

8. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Yup, I think so too ;) I would like constructive reviews too :) I mean, what good should it bring if I only get praise for the things people liked and not for the things I could do better but didn't see? Exactly... nothing.

I like the idea with telling you if we want constructive reviews on our story or not. This way nobody would be offended with the things people say about it :)

And Mom... I'm glad you beta our stories :D It's a lot of work and I would never even try to criticize it.

9. KFK

KFK Witness

I agree with Smokey's comments, I know I appreciate the critics, and actually look forward to them. I admit to writing some crap for this last story. I was having writers block and rushed the story. :scream: It wasn't my best work. :(

My not participating in the next challenge has nothing to do with critics, but simply I have an enormous amount to do and coordinate right now. I hope others do write for the next challenge because I love reading the stories. ;)

Take Care All,

Kelli

10. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Don't say that, Kelli :) It's so not true... even if it wasn't your best story it doesn't mean it was crap. I really liked it :)

I hope everything is alright and you'll have some time to relax too with all the stress.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I have no problem with constructive criticism personally as long as its helpful and said in a nice, respectful manner.

12. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I think because we're alll fairly new to the fanfiction genre, and because some of us struggle with grammar (I know I do because of a learning disability) criticism can run deeply because some people are not shy about telling you if they don't like you what you've done. But it could be also because we're reading it on the computer screen. Maybe it's not meant to sound as bad as it does when we read it. Reading it online and having the person say it to your face are two different things. That's why we might take it the wrong way when it's meant to be helpful not hurtful.

Least that's how I see it. I could be wrong.

But I'm not participating in the next round because of school, not because of the writing. Although I'm a bit shy after the last round of feedback. But I guess I have to remember that some people are more critical than others in their feedback and you can take it or leave it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  13. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

Personally, I didn't see anything that was said in a mean-spirited way posted. The guidelines that Smokey has put forth are quite clear - no meanness will be tolerated at all. End of story.

I want people to be open with me about my work, so I welcome the more technical and in-depth criticism. This is why I participate in this challenge - I want to improve. Maybe part of the trouble is that this is an anonymous challenge. If we wanted to open it up and slap names on the story, then you'd know what kind of author you were dealing with... the problem with that is, that's part of the fun. It's fun trying to match up writer with story based on what you know about thier styles and preferences.

The other option is to follow Smokey's suggestion for authors who want to avoid negative feedback to not receive any feedback at all. That sounds like zero fun to me - but then I'm not in that camp.

At that point you might as well just take the idea from the challenge and post it in its own thread here or post it at ff.net - where, as some of our writers know, things get downright nasty.

Anyhoo... just my two cents.

Oh - and I'm up for another one! How much longer do we have before the list runs out and we all need to submit another song suggestion?

14. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Well. I am fine with someone telling me that my spelling is off, typos etc but I read all the reviews and found a couple of them a wee bit too much...I for one will not research for a short fanfic...that is time consuming. I love a good story but I don't read it with the intention of finding it's faults but to enjoy and be entertained, that is what is about to me.

If you don't like a certain story type...I would suggest that you be honest and say to the author that you don't read that type story instead of taking a fork to it.

Reviews are appreciated...very much...just remember a lot of us are on a learning curve with writing.

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I think for a short fic, research is a bit much to ask. I'll agree.

Oh I do too, but we also have to remember the context in which these stories are written. These are short fic and not a lot of info can be put into them. It's a challenge to get alot into 2500 words. And if you're submitting something last minute, it's a bit difficult.

Also in terms of suggesting something might be out of character for Nick. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. Heck I've written out of a character at times. I probably made him more like a woman because I am a woman, LOL! It's hard to write in a male context. I remember Jacqui suggesting Nick wouldn't run crying to the washroom and I thought, "Yeah, that's true. He might just order another beer." Next time I'll have him chugging a six pack in a desert and have coyotes chewing at his leg..*runs off to write new fic

Another suggestion, is we just tell the critic that we disagree with their feedback in terms of content.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.