Nick Song Fic Ch #8 - "Angel"- Now up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Re: Nick Fic Song Ch #7 - "It Was An Accident"- Now up!

That's tomorrow! :) So if anyone has any stories left to review and wants to get them in before the reveal, now would be the time. :D

For those who don't know, I wasn't able to get one entered this round. :( So I'm ready to get started on the next one and hoping I can come up with something for it! :)

2. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Last few reviews:

The Anniversary:

Sob..very heart-wrenching tale and gut punching. I miss Warrick.

Wooden Angel:

Interesting concept. Nick in Africa and Grissom rescuing him. Oh Nicky, what the hell have you gotten yourself into this time as your daddy would say.

3. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

I was going to post my reviews last night but my computer wouldn't start. I'll have to re-read and re-write and try and post them today from work.

ETA: good thing the boss is away :D Reviews as promised!

Escaping One Last Time

I like the concept of this story, and using the theme of escaping was a very nice way to interpret the song. The story is really sad with an air of hopelessness running through it. A poignant story to read. I did feel as though some of the details were a little off but that could just be me.

Angels Around Us

This was quite the story with a long setup and frantic finish. Interesting to use the lyrics in the story the way you did. Warrick as an angel is a lovely thought and a nice way to tribute the character. I'd love to find out how the writer believes Nick talks to angels? Interesting concept. I do think a beta reader would have made a different to the story as the typos were a little distracting. All in all, it was an exciting story with a lovely epilogue.

This One Moment

This story is full of emotion and it's rather sad and heartbreaking. I find I sympathise with Ellie, you did a good job of capturing her character and making the reader feel something for her. The misunderstanding between Ellie and Nick was unfortunate but believable although I personally think you could have extended the scene as it felt a little rushed. At the end of the day this was an interesting interpretation, and Ellie being the 'angel' when she got high was unexpected.

Peace

What can I say about this story that hasn't already been said?! I'm glad Nick said he'd look after his daughter. I would have liked to have seen more interaction between them though, but the interaction they did have was believeable; awkward and not overly emotional. I must admit, I'm surprised that you have Nick so calm but that's the message in your story so it does work for the interpretation.

One More Case

Aww this was really sad!! Great pace to the story with a very real sense of urgency as Nick tries to save the baby. I was literally holding my breath, willing the baby to breathe! I really enjoyed this, although a few typos and grammatical errors did distract from the story. Very well done though!

The Anniversary

This story is really powerful for its emotion. I get a lump in my throat just reading how Nick remembered that horrible day when Warrick died. The conversation between Nick and Catherine was really touching for its honesty and sadness. That was such a sweet gesture, pouring out the beer for Warrick. I really liked this story, my favourite of the bunch I must admit.

Wooden Angel

Well this was interesting, turning Nick into a 'Brennan' type character. His first encounter with Ishmael was funny, with Dr. Benoit not quiet translating perfectly. (I always find English subtitles on French films hilarious :D). Your story is really detailed, which is always good in a story, but some of the details could have been checked to make the story even more believable. Typos and grammatical error, while not in abundance, did distract from the story. However, it was a good story with a hopeful ending. You really did carry the reader away from CSI and into a different genre!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I still have to read and review and I will this week.

I won't be looking at who wrote what until after I read them. :thumbsup:

5. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

Slipping my reviews in under the radar....!

Escaping One Last Time - Bravo for tackling this subject - it's a tough one for sure. This is a very sad story, which goes hand in hand with the song. Nice touch to have Nick's folks come to the funeral. Something feels unfinished, but maybe you did that on purpose?

Angels Around Us - You made me cry - that part with Warrick! Wow, that was a tough read. I do have one criticism for this one though, which is this: it's really tough to imcorporate lyrics, word-for-word, into a fic. It comes off feeling forced. I think it would have been perfectly OK to re-word the lyrics to fit the character they're intended for in the story. Otherwise, great work!

This One Moment - Wow - Ellie! I didn't think of her when thinking about my fic but now I wonder why I didn't. This was a great read - characterization is spot on, and the descriptions of what's going on in Ellie's head are vivid and so sad.

Peace - The meeting between Emily and Nick is what stands out in this for me - subdued and a tad unsettled, but very real. What do you say at a time like that? And, of course, Catherine has just the right advice to give him. Beth found peace in Nick - very nice.

One More Case - Oh, that you had chosen the deaf mute route, Nicky... But Nick would not be Nick if he hadn't turned around. Love Brass's one-liner :) I also liked the way you incorporated the lyrics into your prose, and linked Nick's thoughts back to the song - that was great.

The Anniversary - This piece was very emotional. I liked that Nick and Catherine touched; at such a moment, they would've needed that comfort. I liked the swap of beer and roses, as well.

Wooden Angel - This was a very exciting, detailed read. Fantastic and sad, yet at the end it leaves a touch of hope. I like that.

As always, everyone did a great job and Egeria, the site looks fantastic! Thanks so much!

6. Smokey

As promised, here are the authors! :)

Escaping One Last Time - Americanstalker
    Angels Around Us - KFK
    This One Moment - Egeria
    Peace - Princess
    One More Case - Nicksfriend
    The Anniversary - Jacqui
    Wooden Angel - MyFutureCSI

Nice job, everyone! :) Now if the authors would like, they can post a little bit about how they came us with their stories.

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

My story actually was about child soldiers in Africa. I borrowed the idea from a book I read called "A Long Way Home" and the author was a child soldier himself who wrote abou the horrors he went through.

While some of the details may not have been 'believable', I did the best I could to write about a country I'd never visited. And about the events themselves. I had to leave some of it to my imagination.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  8. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

I grappled a lot with this challenge because when I read the lyrics and listened to the song, I thought of Warrick's story. Every time, I kept coming back to Warrick. Then I realized that I'd never written a post-For Warrick fic, so I went with that.

The thing with the beer comes from my own experience. I lost a brother when I was 16, and whenever I go to his grave I bring him a beer.

9. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

My story came from the line, "I'll find some peace tonight". I sort of thought what if someone from Nick's past came back into his life. And it all just flowed from there...although trying to wrap it all up in under 2500 words was difficult.

10. americanstalker

americanstalker Witness

I listened to the song, and two ideas came to me; either Nick loses someone due to suicide, or he gets a call about a DB that appears to be one. I just sort of fused the two together. Also the line "Escaping one last time" made me think of someone taking their own life, and that they seemed to be escaping from whatever mess they were in for the last time.

11. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

It took me a long while to come up with an idea for this song. For the most part I kept thinking back on my fic Faith and that really distracted me!!

Then the line about a 'cold dark hotel room' struck me and all of a sudden I could see Ellie standing there, at war with herself and trying to make her father hate her as much as she hates herself.

I needed Nick to be the catalyst and say the wrong thing that turns Ellie away from the chance at redemption. Because the song, for me, is actually quite sad and full of despair. 'May you find some comfort here' doesn't mean that a person actually will find comfort.

But Ellie did become the 'Angel' at the end, just not in the conventional way.

It surprised me that everyone was surprised to see a fic about Ellie! I guess once she came into my head it was obvious. That's the great thing about this challenge though, and I really enjoy it for that reason.

12. Smokey

What does everyone think about doing the next challenge? Want to put it up now or take a break until after the holidays? :) Gimme some feedback! :lol:

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think it's too early for a break personally, but that's just me. :lol:

14. 915

915 CSI Level One

Please post a new one I want to try the next one. :) I'm sneaking in here because I just started writing fanfics recently so I thought I would like to try a challenge see if I can do it. :)

15. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think after one more challenge we should be ready for a new thread. We've got almost 900 posts now. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.