Nick Song Fic Ch #8 - "Angel"- Now up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge #3 - "The Change" - Stories Up!

It's all very exciting!!! I can't wait to sit down and read the stories :D If I don't get any work done tomorrow it will all be your guys' fault!

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Two Lost Souls- The first part with Greg made me chuckle. Loved the interaction there. Very well written. And this was such a sweet and cute story. Mary sounds adorable. I'm glad Nick and she helped each other. :)

The Change That Led To This Moment - Great way to interpret the song into the story! I never saw this storyline coming. Its definitely an original idea. Very well written. Great job!

A Day Mid-May- I loved this story. Great title too. Great interpretation of the song. Very heartfelt storyline.

Holding Out Hope- Nice interpretation of the song in the story, title and the lyrics used at the end of the fic.

Help and Hope - I really love the way you incorporated lines of the song into the dialogue. That was a really nice touch. And the ending of the fic is great!

In His Sister's Eyes - The butt-dialing part reminds me of that phone commerical. :lol: But, it was much cuter in this fic. :D I really loved Nick's conversation with his sister.

So The World Will Know- I like how we got see inside Nick's head about why he went to see Kelly. I liked the hospital scene too, especially with Nick's parents. :)

Brian - This story was really good. It was nice to see something about Nick's life back when he was a cop in Dallas. I like that even though his partner was trying to discourage him from helping the boy that Nick did not give up. That is a true sign of a hero. :)

Starfish- Great story! Loved the back story too. And the conversation between Nick and Rick just cracked me up. I can really picture them saying things like that. Good job. :)

You'll Never Change Things - Nice look into Nick's future. I like the Cass wanted to follow in Nick's footsteps. The things he explained to her were all good points. I like that she renewed his hope as well. They were linked back then and still today they have saved each other once again. Great job! :)

From Sorrow, Born Hope - Wow! That's all I can say. Brought tears to my eyes. I like how everyone and everything was described and the description of how Nick affected everyone around him. Nice job.

===

I just want to say that everyone did an awesome job with their fics. I truly enjoyed reading every one of them. And I want to reiterate (sp?) that I love the design of the site. Egeria, you did an awesome job on it! :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  3. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

Yay! Round 3's up!

Two Lost Souls- Aww so cute! I love the idea of Nick finding healing with a dog. And its just like him to adopt one who needed him just as much.

The Change That Led to This Moment- Wow I kept interpreting the song as what would make Nick want to stay in Vegas. You saw it a completely opposite way but its still so true to the song and the character. Nicely done.

A Day Mid-May- I love that you started out with a young Nick but didn't tell us. Cause the characterization works so well for both the young and the old(er). I can totally see Nick spending his days off from the lab in just the same way. And I loved Mama Stokes. Very nice.

4. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Ahhhh....finally! :) I read a few of them before posting, but now I'm going to read them all and start my reviewing.

Two Lost Souls
    - This is very sweet. :) It sounds exactly like something Nick would do. And I like how it turned out that Mary was able to help solve a crime too! They are made for each other. You also did a good job of misleading the reader (and Greg!) as to just who Mary was at first. Nice!

The Change that Led to this Moment
    - Ray: "Not too many people I would trust with a bat!" :lol: And this line...."He removed his hands from hers, wanting to hang on for the support but knowing he had to let go now"...excellent...it says so much...that's the whole gist of the story right there. A very brave choice, to write something that none of us want to see...Nick leaving! :) But if it has to be, then this is a well thought out scenario. Good job!

A Day Mid-May - I LOVED this story!! First of all, you disguised well the fact that it was a younger Nick in the beginning. Everything you wrote could apply to either a child or adult Nick, but looking back on it then you say "Ohhhh...I should have known!" :lol:

I like how you've shown Nick's love of animals and nature from early on. The descriptions of Nick wrapping the kitten up and carrying it were just beautiful. This line..."He checked on the other kittens, but they would never see a sunny day like that again" just tugged at my heartstrings. The descriptions of Nick and his mom were so sweet and very realistic and believable. You really get across the feelings that she has for him. So few words were said and yet everything is so clear.

I love how the event in the middle...rescuing the kitten...ties back to his earlier abuse as a child and his later kidnapping. You've tied it together very well, especially with the ant hill. Very smart! It's just all brilliant. Sorry for such a long review on this one, but it just hit me in the right place at the right time, I think. :)

Okay, I need a break. More later!

5. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's stories. Especially, when this was a great song to use and so fits Nick.

I wasn't able to finish my story on time, so I'm sorry I'm missing this and I didn't want you all to wait any longer. (Smokey, thanks for asking me if I wanted you all to wait) :) I'll be finishing it though and possibly post it on ff.net or just keep it to myself :D.

I'll be back to read and review the stories over the next few days.

6. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

Holding Out Hope- Hmm a Mandy fic...a red herring perhaps?
    I like that you took a story we're all very familiar with and kind of tweaked it to serve your purpose. It might have been impossible to lay the plot out otherwise within our word limit.

Help and Hope- I of course like the psychological spin on the song lyrics and Nick's story. But I gotta say, after reading "Please tell me I didn’t sleep with a hooker again" I got the giggles and struggled to read the rest in the serious tone it deserved. Sorry its just my warped mind :)

In His Sisters Eyes- I like the interaction between Nick and his sister, and I LOVE that his sister tells him what all of us are thinking about The Change being his theme song. Call me strange but I just like the idea of Nick hearing that. And butt dialing :D

ETA more reviews!

So the World will know- I'm not playing favorites but this is my favorite kind of fic. It fills in the gap between scenes that show told us in a completely heartbreaking but truthful to the character and the episode way. Well done and beautifully written.

Brian- Aw shit I got tears in my eyes. I like to think that maybe Brian wasn't the only one Nick touched, but all those police officers who probably never would have showed up otherwise. Look at that! You made me overanalyze the motivations of peripheral characters in a story. Now thats some good writing :)

Starfish- I heart the starfish story. And I like Nick being snarky with his friend

You'll Never Change Things- Dang you people, I've got tears in my eyes again! I love the future setting especially all the detail about out current beloved characters. And Nick trying to talk Cassie out of the profession! Hmmm if it were that bad what kept you in it for so long dear Nick? Love the lyrics used as conversation, they seem to flow very well. Really really nice.

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I'm still reading and will get to the reviews as soon as I can, but I'm chuckling at all the animal-themed stories.

8. Smokey

Some more reviews from me. :D

Holding Out Hope
    - Sweet story. :) I like how Cassie is just right in there asking Nick all those questions and how she's so direct with him. I also love the proposal scene! So original and cute! I like a happy ending too, and the lyrics fit so well. :) Nice job!

Help and Hope - I like the mystical part of this too...is she real or is she not? Doesn't matter. She's getting Nick to talk about things he needs to talk about. And the ending...Nick putting his foot in his mouth again! :lol: The story really illustrated how Nick has made a difference in people's lives.

In His Sister's Eyes - "The Change" is his sister's ringtone for him. Nice! :) This is a nice look into a part of Nick's life that we don't get to see. I like your interpretation of it! The descriptions of the room and the photos was very good...I could picture everything in my mind. I have a close relationship with my brother too, so this scene between these two seems very realistic to me. Good job!

So the World Will Know - I like that you've filled in some of the things that we didn't get to see after this episode. And what drove Nick to visit Kelly. Catherine's observations of the changes in Nick...in his eyes...and how the life came back to them in the end was especially good.

9. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Two Lost Souls: OMG! This totally got me all choked up. As I live in a house with four rescued dogs, it really hit hard. I love that instead of some girl being the one to help Nick you chose to go a totally different way. And the idea of Nick taking in a dog is something I've always wanted to see on the show.

The Change That Lead To This Moment: I don't want Nick to leave! J/K I'm sure in a job like that it's bound to happen but good to see that Nick wants to improve his skills. I'm curious why you chose D.C. as his new home? And terrorism task force....well I've always thought Nick had a suppressed Jack Bauer side to him.

A Day Mid-May: Oh young Nick. Nice bringing up the "babysitter" point. Also well done on the imagery....I felt like I was at the lake with him. Nick has always been a caring individual it's nice to see it started so early.

Holding Out Hope: This was a really cute one. I've always wondered if the show would ever mention what happened to Cassie afterward, so I'm glad to see someone thought of an idea. Nick would make an awesome dad too.

Help and Hope: Really different take on the Nick gets trashed and meets strange girl but I liked it. Loved that there wasn't actually any hanky panky going on this time. Nick's uncomfortableness at opening up was clear but nice to see that he did.

In His Sister's Eyes(By Saving Just This One): Butt dialing....:lol: Love that commercial...anyway...... Your view of the Stokes family was really beautiful. Your use of the song as a ring tone was really great...it does fit Nick very well.

So The World Will Know: Another one that got me choked up. This was a nice addition to what was already a great episode. I could really see this actually happening on the show....and I kind of wished we had. Loved how Nick's eyes were a key to the story

Brian: I like seeing these young Nick stories especially this one that features Nick back as a cop. Of course there's always a hardened cyncical person to counter Nick's hopeful caring attitude and you showcased that nicely.

Starfish: The Nick and Rick banter was really great. Sometimes I don't realize how much I miss the character of Warrick until something like this. The way Nick talked to the dog was very cute.

You'll Never Change Things: Nick grumbling about getting old.....fantastic! We all do it, right? Loved the way Nick spoke to Cassie, making sure she knew what being a criminalist really was all about The way you described the changes at the lab was nice....although did Catherine really have to end up alone? Why couldn't she have met a nice guy and ended up happy?

From Sorrow Born Hope: For the love of god, why are all of you writers trying to make me cry? Anyway, at first I thought this was Warrick's funeral so to find out it was Nick's was a shock. How you painted the scene was incredible Catherine clutching onto Brass, Nick's mother and father...so good.

10. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Two Lost Souls....Okay I'm a sucker for dog fics and this one was well written. We are first presented with the healing force behind Nicky's recovery then we are given insight on how it got there. this is an excellent read. and I was entertained too. I like the idea of Greg thinking a girl caught a frisbee in her mouth (Nick is from Texas afterall), AND thinking she hAd two broken ribs and bad teeth to boot, made me laugh. You got an A+ for this very SWEET READ!:)

The Change That Led to This Moment...At first read you would think that Nick's biggest change will be his job, his location, his career path but at the end we are also given a glimpse of a possible change coming in the relationship of Catherine and Nick, she seems to be able to say to herself, he is no longer on the team, there are now other possiblities now.Washingon DC???...Think you have been watching too much NCIS! Original idea and very daring to allow Nick to walk out that door, I'm afraid for you in a way.....lol! Though, I sense you are telling us something with this story and I can not help but to wonder...What?:cool:

A Day Mid-May...Okay, the writer took me there, allowed me to see a very young Nick, with all his boyish charm and wonderment of the world then they threw the cats into the lake.....Okay, that was just not good for this animal lover, it made me sad...I know there are a whole lot of people out there who are very capable of doing this very thing....and that is very sad but I could also relate it to my profession of nursing, and it made me think of mercy killings, unable to allow them to die of hunger or abuse maybe this person too felt it necessary to end their little furry lives, like a Kavorchian would. I found it sad... but it gave me chills and that only comes from a good writer....excellent read!:)

Okay, three reviews a day...see ya tomorrow!

11. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

You're welcome! You're welcome! You're welcome! :lol:

GNRF, thank you so much. I can't tell you how much this means to me. Thank YOU!

So some reviews from me. Again, I feel a bit ashamed to be writing these, considering I’m no expert and what the heck do I know? But, it’s just how I feel as I read the stories, so I hope you don’t mind my verbosity.

Two Lost Souls

Interesting start, writing from Greg’s point of view. With his natural curiosity he’s the perfect lead in to Nick.

Even though you named the dog Mary (and I presume that’s to throw the reader off hmm?) I have to admit I figured it out pretty early, much earlier than Greg did :D I do love the image of Nick playing with his dog, throwing a Frisbee and strolling along.

I also love the image of an emotional Nick complete with dripping nose. It’s a very realistic human touch, as is the flow of Nick’s thoughts following his visit with Kelly Gordon.

You have a strong sense for dialogue. The interaction between Nick and the abusive kid was very good, same with the scene at the vet. You can really sense the tension with Nick’s empathy for the dog which has almost humanlike characteristics. Nick identifying with the dog was really sweet, and the two seem to be reaching out to each other.

This is a very sweet story and a good glimpse into Nick’s character as an empathic and warm hearted person.

The Change That Led to This Moment

Your story really captures that sense of loss we’ve seen in Nick over Season 9, especially since Turn Turn Turn. I love your opening scene, reminiscent of Grissom’s final walk down the halls of the crime lab.

I really love how you’ve given Nick the decisiveness to leave, bringing us into the story where we haven’t seen him go through the decision making process. Its very attention getting and you succeeded in investing us in his choice right from the start.

I also like how Catherine is so readily accepting of his decision, again alluding to Grissom’s departure; it emphasizes what a keen and discerning woman she is. Your characterization is bang on here.

Their conversation is beautiful and heartbreaking, both in the dialogue and in their actions towards each other.

This was a sad story in a way, but also a hopeful one. Nicely done.

A Day Mid-May

Right from the start I was immersed in your story. The detail is beautiful, from your description of the clear blue sky to a bird singing in the trees.

You did a fabulous job of characterizing Nick, and the story really works both when you first read it and think it’s an adult Nick, then again when you go back and read it knowing Nick is 9 years old. Absolutely brilliant.

This story really tore at the heartstrings I have to say, your set up was masterful, turning a peaceful, lazy afternoon into something so tragic. That’s the way life goes though, and makes the story that much more believable for it.

You did make me cry, your line ‘He checked on the other kittens, but they would never see a sunny day like that again’ was so poignant. I actually get choked up just typing this! It’s heartbreakingly effective, the way you’ve allowed us to share Nick’s empathy.

I really loved your description of a young Nick, scrawny and wet, clutching his little orange kitten. That image is going to stay with me now, and it’s a reminder of where Nick came from, the things he has been through that has made him the CSI he is today.

And the way you tied it all in at the end, with an adult Nick revisiting the scene of such a turning point. Beautiful.

12. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

First of all... thank you Egeria for the great website :D

It was an amaizing theme this time... so many Nick animal fics and so many Nick older and younger then he is... that was just wow :D

So now the reviews...

Two Lost Souls

Ohhh 'dude' I know who you are :lol: You're so predictable...
    Well I'm an animal fan and so is Nick, at least I think he is... I hate animal cruelty and I know that you hate that too. I really could imagine Nick doing exactly that... helping a poor traumatized animal out.

The beginning was funny, even I need to say I was sure that Mary would be a dog... at the point where Nick mentioned the walks and playing frisbee.... but it was a great start into your story...

That you brought his ordeal in the story makes it even more believable... They both needed someone to lean on... I don't think that Nick was into talking with a human being after his ordeal, so I thought it was cute that you let Mary comfort him :)

I would never call a dog a 'mangy mutt'... that's just mean :( I bet Nick thought she's the most beautiful dog in the world :) It would be so Nick to see her like that.

The ending was cute :D How Mary came out of her reverie to comfort the Texan... just sweet :)

The way you let the story flowing and the simple comments you wrote in gave you away. I really liked this story, sweet and believable :D

The Change That Let To The Moment

Awww I really don't want to see that happen... I would cry... yeah I would cry :(
    Well if Nick would want to leave, then he should leave like you wrote in your story :D
    I'm fairly sure who you are and I really enjoy your writing... I liked how you let Nick meet all his collegues before he made his way to tell Catherine about his plans.

That was very well written... and so Nick... he wouldn't want the big Good Bye... he would do what needs to be done. I liked how you wrote his conversation with Catherine. I like the two together... The way you wrote that from Catherines point of view was great... I'm sure she would miss him.

Somehow this story makes me sad... and that even Nick is just leaving... it could have been worse... but his leaving makes it sound like forever and we won't see him again... :( The intensity of the story and the theme with him leaving was a great way to use the lyrics of the song and to show how no matter what you do and how good you do at it there will be a point when you can't take it anymore and need to go.

A nice story and because I really hate Good Bye's it was very emotional for me... Great work :D

A Day Mid-May

Awww young Nicky :) I always wondered what he was like when he was a kid. I really can imagine him being one with the nature... walking through the forrests and watching animals...
    The concept of the story was cool. And you really didn't expected it to be a nine year old Nick at the beginning...

The poor kitties... who would do something like that??? No wonder Nick was so upset about it, I would have been too...

And how his mom comforted him, was very believable and absolutely what a mom should do for her child.

Holding Out Hope

Wow, I need to say that was something I didn't expect... That was a very cute story and I can tell that I'm sure I know who you are :D

That was Gum Drops with another way of thinking...

Nick simply needed someone to open his eyes... and I like that Cassie was the one to do that :)

It was so romantic how Nick made Mandy the marriage proposal :D Sounds like something Nick would do :)

13. KFK

KFK Witness

Fantastic job everyone. All of the stories are so well written, and thoughtful.

Two Lost Souls You really tricked me with the beginning of this story, I thought it was headed in a totally different direction. I loved the dialog between Nick and Greg, and Greg's initial confussion. I'm a sucker for a good puppy story. My two Labradoodles are therapy dogs, we visit retirement communities and hospitals, and I've seen first hand the benefits they bring to others. There's nothing more healing in this world than a soft furry friend and a few wet kisses. Cute story, really enjoyed it.:)

The Change that Led to this Moment I could see this actually happening in the show, it would be a good conclusion for Nick. One day it all becomes too much, and it's either make a change or crash and burn. Catherine's thoughts at the end were intersting, a little foreshadowing? I'd like to read more about his future life, and Catherine's visits.:)

A Day Mid-May It wouldn't surprise me if young Nick were like this, a caring, sensitive young boy. Though it seems his teenage and early adult years were a bit wilder. CSI did a story about Catherine when she was younger, it would be nice if they did one on Nick.:)

Holding Out Hope A cute story. I wish CSI's writers said what happened to Cassie after, but it's nice to have a conclusion in the fanfic world. The best part about this story is Nick and Mandy together at the end. ;)

Help and Hope I like that Nick is finally opening up to someone, and the someone is a total stranger. In real life this seems to happen, people will tell the most intimate details of their life to a stranger even before family and friends. Good story and very different than what I originally thought when I began reading. :)

In His Sister's Eyes It's easy to imagine this happening between two siblings who are close. I'm close with my brother, we helped each other through difficult times in our lives, and it was nice to see the same addressed between Nick and his sister. A nice take on the family dynamic of Nick's life.:)

So the World Will Know It was nice to have the gaps filled in that the writers left. The description of the change in Nick's eyes was well done. It was interesting that Nick wasn't going to see Kelly for answers, but rather just to see her, see the person who was behind his pain. Well done, good writing.:)
    Brian Well this story just choked me up.:( I like reading stories about Nick before becoming a CSI. As I said above they did an episode about Catherine when she was younger, it would to nice to have one about Nick. I could see a young, hopelessly optmistic Nick caring for this kid and wanting to help. It's sad to know there is such truth to this story, so many children lost and hurting. Good job, well written.:)

Starfish Another puppy story, do you all know the way to my heart, or what. The banter between Nick and Warrick is funny, and believable.:lol: I liked Nick's use of the fable as his explanation to Warrick. TPTB never give Nick credit for his intelligence, so it's nice to read it here. Nice story.:)

You'll Never Change Things Just when the world seems hopeless someone comes along to prove it isn't. :)

From Sorrow, Born Hope My heart was breaking while reading this story.:( Your decriptions of the scene and the emotions painted a sad, but incredible picture. The ending and the renewed sense of "Born Hope" through Nick's legacy and memory was phenomenal writing.:) Now I'm going to go grab a Kleenex, wipe my eyes and blow my nose.

Again, great stories everyone, a joy to read.:thumbsup:

Take Care All,

Kell

14. Smokey

And now, the rest of my reviews. :)

Brian - Well, add me to the list of readers that you made cry! :( How very like Nick to not give up on someone...to know when to push and when to stay back. Empty parking lot at the funeral home...sad, vivid description...the image says more than words could. I like that it's not clear which brother has died, too. You wove some of the lyrics into the story seamlessly as well. This is a great, polished story!

Starfish - :lol: The banter between Nick and Warrick is great! I love how Warrick doesn't want Nick in the park yelling for "Princess"! "The point isn't that I'm doing it; the point is that someone is". Very well said! And very well illustrated here.

You'll Never Change Things
    - I like how Cassie says "I'm sure you don't remember me". If only she knew. :) And where she says she kept hearing a voice and thinks it must have been his. You did a great job of describing what everyone is doing in this future world. Your dialogue is very real and believable as well. Still...it was kind of sad to think about things changing like that, even tho they always will.

From Sorrow, Born Hope
    - Ohhhh... :( Kill me too, why don't you?! This is a very hard read for me. But that's because it's so very realistic. I am curious to know what happened to him, but that's beside the point. The descriptions of everyone's thoughts, actions, and emotions are right on. Your words have brought the readers right into the setting and made them feel the same feelings as the characters. Excellent writing! And the fact that Catherine can find hope all around her even in the face of something so tragic gives the rest of us hope as well. Bravo! (but don't ever do this again! :lol: )

15. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

Some reviews from me...

Two Lost Souls: Very sad story with a happy ending! The beginning was cute, with Sara teasing Greggo :D Love that the dog was able to help solve a crime, just like her new master. The end is just so sweet too - just a little gesture of trust from Mary, and it was enough to restore a little hope to Nick. Nicely done!

The Change That Led to This Moment: So sad that Nick is leaving, but leaving on his own terms would be very important to Nick, so I'm glad that you've done it this way. The conversation between Nick and Catherine was great - she knows him well enough to know that he's already made up his mind and that trying to talk him out of it is pointless. I love that it wraps up with Catherine thinking about the future - as these folks have learned, there's no point in dwelling on the past. Great job!

A Day Mid-May: Since I'm writing this with a little orange tabby on my shoulder, it's hard not to imagine the five teeny orange kittens in the bag. Poor kitties! :( You set this up nicely, the descriptions are great and really draw the reader in to sit with Nick on the lakeshore. I love how Nick is so observant, even at this young age. Like many others, when I first read this I assumed it was a present-day Nick, but it is even better on the re-read, knowing he's only nine. I like how it wraps up too, with grown Nick visiting a place where such a pivotal event took place, and leaving not feeling sad about the four dead kitties but with the hope that the one he saved gave him. Very nice.

Holding Out Hope: Squeee!!!! It's a Cassie story! Woo-hoo!! OK... This was a very sweet story! Gum Drops really was a case where Nick had all the hope, all the faith that things would be all right in the end. I like how he doesn't know why, but believes in his sixth sense - and it turns out that Cassie believes too.

Help and Hope: First - clever title ;) I like Hope. She strikes me as the no-nonsense type, which is really what Nick needs about now. I liked her subtle way of correcting Nick: "Shrink? No. I teach psychology at WLVU..." I'm glad he found someone to vent to, even if that was not his purpose in getting hammered and going home with a girl ;)

In His Sister's Eyes: Part of what has always drawn me to Nick, I think, is that he reminds me so much of my little brother Jon. They are both the youngest of seven kids and both, despite the efforts of others, are just all-around stand-up guys. No matter what life throws at them, they know who they are and no one is going to change that. What I find enchanting about your story is that however much I can relate to Nick, I can relate to his sister too - which for a story of 2000 words or less, is no mean feat. It's tough to tell your siblings what they mean to you, even if you've always been close. It's just a very complicated kind of relationship. You portrayed that very well here. The story overall seemed to say that it was not only Nick that was strengthened by his terrible ordeal, but his sister, too. She seemed to be telling him that he inspired her to keep doing the job that they both love. Really great job.

I'll be back with more!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.