"MEAT JEKYLL" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, May 15, 2010.

1. byline

byline CSI Level One

I absolutely understand this, which is why I said I don't fault him at all for the difficulties I have with his character. But I still truly believe that the powers that be, writers, whomever, do not have a clear handle on who they want Ray to be. And I think that until that is firmly established, it's going to be difficult for most of us in the audience to see who he is, too.

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Agree!! I saw "The Grave Shift" yesterday and he was so cute as a newbie with his glasses and his tie and his giant field kit! :lol: If THAT Ray had been kept on and grown as a CSI and a character slowly, it would have been great!

3. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

I think the writers had no choice but to speed up Langie's development in the CSI skill department. He came in as the new lead to the CSI franchise and it would have been hard to establish plotlines for Langie if he was still a CSI-1. There wouldn't have been anyway for Langie to assert himself as the new lead. As much as I would have liked to see Langie progress a little more slowly in the skill department I tend to agree with the writers decision on bumping him up to CSI-2 so quickly.

Anywho...you've always got fanfictions if you're not satisfied with how the show is played out.:lol:

4. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I totally disagree, and am not trying to be a hard a.., but I think he blossomed and bloomed in S/10, in S/9 he was still fumbling about, and not really up to par, cause' he was new, and not so sure of himself like he is now. He's a seasoned CSI, & gives his brilliant ideas to the team. He's is more self assured, & confidant and fits with the team like a glove:bolian:And on the fans "dismay" this site is only a small fraction of the entire fan base. If he weren't a hit & popular, they would have gotten rid of him like they've done with others who didn't cut it~He was incredible in "Meat Jekyll" back to his soft spoken, laid back, sweet self, and the ending was a real shocker~

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  5. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

i could not agree with you people more, if they had stuck to episodes like the grave shift, if i had a hammer, and turn turn turn season 9 would have been great, except for losing gary and wp

6. byline

byline CSI Level One

I see your point, and agree that for practicality's sake, they had no choice but to put Ray through an accelerated growth spurt (kind of like those kids on soaps who grow up into teenagers seemingly overnight). But the fan in me wishes they'd taken it more slowly, just as all the other characters have had time to grow and develop in a more organic way. Well, we'll see what happens next season!

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

OK, fans Laurence Fishburne aka Dr. Ray was hired as the new lead, and he has gone though all the necessary steps to get where he is now. He's not a rookie, he had mega experience before he accepted this position who was offered to him by his predecessor Grissom. He's was an established doctor/author, and he's not going to hang around in the background sweeping floors. He's going into his 3rd season now, and has proved himself to be a stellar CSI-2. He's doing a great job, and has gone through the ranks of the lowly newbie and is now caught up to the rest of the team, even going so far as to work on his own time to learn everything, and is where he's supposed to be. How long to you fans want him to act like he doesn't know what's going on, he does:confused: and that's a wrap~:bolian:

8. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

I believe there's a saying of some kind..."Saying it's so doesn't make it so."

We are all aware of your adoration of Langston, and that's fine, as long as it doesn't encroach upon others' rights to disagree. In YOUR opinion, he's fitting in and the perfect character etc etc, but if I don't agree with that, I have every right not to like him as a character. Trying to ram it down our throats over and over again isn't going to get me to change my mind.

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I have a question about Nick shooting Jekyll.

Do you think he used execessive force?

Do you think he'll have regrets?

Do you think he'll have to face any legal ramfications?

10. byline

byline CSI Level One

No. He and Ray were in imminent danger, and as he told Ray at the beginning of the season, it's kill or be killed. You've got to do what's necessary to stay alive, and you can't second-guess yourself after the fact.

Nick may wish the situation hadn't presented itself the way it did, but he will know that he responded in the right way.

There might be an internal investigation. But unless the guy's father presses charges -- highly unlikely, given the circumstances -- I doubt there will be any kind of legal reprimand.

11. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

No. Jekyll had already killed one police officer and seriously injured another. He was still armed and was about to take a shot at Ray. Added to that, a civilian was in need of immediate medical treatment which Jekyll was preventing.
    Nick was the only person in a position to stop him, but he was injured and knew he was only going to get one chance at this, so shooting to kill was his only option.

He's Nick and he's a good guy and I think a part of him will of course wish that things could have gone down differently. But he'll also know that he didn't have a choice in the matter. It was kill or be killed (and let Ray and Jekyll's father die as well). I can't see him losing too much sleep over it.

No.
    There'll be an internal investigation - AFAIK, there always has to be one in the case of an officer involved shooting. But with the testimony of Ray and Jekyll's dad to back Nick up - not to mention ballistics and other evidence. If anything, Nick should get a commendation from the department for his actions.

Edited to add
    I think that if Nick feels any emotional fall out from the incident, it'll be because an officer died, after he had ordered him to check on Charlie/Jekyll. Granted, Nick couldn't possibly have known how much of a threat was posed at that time, and procedure wise, getting the civilian and the unarmed CSI out of the way while sending the armed cop to investigate was probably the thing to do, but Nick is still going to have to live with the fact that it was his orders that put the cop in the firing line. It would be nice to see some sort of follow up from it, maybe Nick attending the officer's funeral or something.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  12. Washington Pride

Washington Pride Rookie

You know I've been thinking. Both Raymond (If he makes it:() and Nick are going to need some recovery time, wont they? Well the lab will be really understaffed until then right? Well who are they going to get to fill in until they are fit for duty? Who do we know who is a master of forensics and could come at such short notice? **cough cough Grissom cough cough* :)

13. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

The lab is always understaffed it seems like so I don't think that's a problem. But, I wouldn't be suprised if a bunch of new CSIs came in to take the reins for a little bit or Sara comes back full time to take up the slack. Grissom is still probably going to be in Paris teaching so...probably no to Grissom.

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

Still . . . it's nice to hope, eh?

15. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I'd just like to point out that Sara in several season 8 episodes performed her job as a CSI with her arm in a cast. So Nick can most likely still do his job. :)

Susan