Mac #5: Back In Black!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by nattybatty55, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bumble_bee89

bumble_bee89 Rookie

Ohhh, good lord

did somebody just come into the Mac thread and Dis him?!

:O shocking...

Nah, we all have our opinions and i think yours is great *sarcasm*

PISSY MAC ROCKS!

2. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

BB be nice!! ;) We all have our own opinions and we all have the right to speak up! Thats one of the first rules I learnt :D

3. bumble_bee89

bumble_bee89 Rookie

LOL, oe of the first tings i learnt was to share :devil:
    and as i've gotten older i realied sharing doesn't get you anywhere *when it comes to Mac* :devil:

4. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

^^^I suppose Mac can seem a little cold occasionally, but I think it's his attempt to maintain professional distance. Other CSIs on NY are the same way sometimes, and on the other CSI shows too - Grissom obviously cares about the victims, but sometimes he can seem cold/clinical, but he DOES care, and it's the same way with Mac. I think Mac has a deep seated respect for victims, he just doesn't show it in the same way that Horatio - who seems a little too sympathetic towards certain victims sometimes - does. I think he distinguishes clearly between criminals and victims, though as we all know sometimes on CSI, they're one and the same. ;) And I don't think Mac abuses his rights as a police officer. Yes, he gets pissy with suspects - like in The Deep - but other CSIs on all the shows have done the same thing, and, sadly, real cops do it too sometimes e.g. the whole Rodney King thing. :( :(
    Just my opinion. ;) And yes, I know it's biased by my adoration of Mac.

5. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

True.

But there is a very fine line between order and chaos.
    figuratively speaking.

P.S.

When I said cold - I meant Ice cold.
    (no offence to those who like him)

6. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Personally I have never seen Mac as cold at all, a little detached at times possibly but not cold. But I must admit I would take Mac and Grissom’s approach to Horatio’s any day. I suppose that’s why I don’t watch Miami at all. Where Mac may see why someone committed a crime, he is a cop, and taking the law into your own hands puts you on the wrong side of the law, and his duty is to uphold that law. As we saw in Consequences he is willing to do that even if it puts him at odds with Flack. And although that may seem a Black and White view, in his situation that’s the only view there can be.

And we have seen Mac go out of his way for victims, in Necrophilia Americana Mac tells Sam’s real mother that he would personally ensure that she would never be allowed custody of Sam. In Officer Blue risked the wrath of Stella refusing to retrieve the bullet from the horse to ensure a child could say goodbye, in Night Mother he went out of his way to let a woman know that what she had done while sleep walking was to try and help revive a victim to try and ease her pain. All of these things from a character, that as we discover from his interactions with Reed, finds it difficult on some levels to connect with people.

7. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Bummer, I missed the opening of the new thread! Nice name, nice pics!

Re: Mac's "coldness", I agree with Fruitbat's above post, I don't see it that way at all, never have. He can be detached and overly professional at times, to the point of appearing cold to an outsider I would suppose. And yes he does see things often more black & white, possibly a remnant from his military days; but then so does Flack, and he wasn't in the military. Both men do have similar personalities in that respect, and both of them happen to be my top faves on the show of the main characters.

8. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Just a pic to prove Mac isnt cold infact he is VERY HOT

:D :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See he's even so hot they have to turn on the sprinklers to stop him from setting the set on fire.. :D

9. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I totally agree. I don't think Mac's cold, just professionally detached. He always seems to talk with respect to the victims, unless he suspects them of something. Horatio can be a little TOO sympathetic/warm towards certain 'victims' at times. I much prefer Mac's and Grissom's approach.

Again, I agree. His view of the law may be a little black and white, but I like that in him, that he has a firm view of the law. It may make him come off unfavorably sometimes, but I like that too, I like that he's not perfect, that he's human.

Wow, good point. I loved how sweet Mac was with all the victims in the cases you mentioned, particularly 'Night Mother'. I think that he is always polite/respectful to the victims, and is prepared to occasionally go out of his way for them, just not in every single case, which is preferable to H's way of going out of his way for damn near every single victim ever. It's sweet, but a little excessive, and difficult to take. Going back to Mac, I agree also that he finds it hard to connect with people on some levels, which maybe explains why he was the way he was with Amber in Commuted Sentences.

And on a shallow/less serious note - I'd love to 'connect' with Mac on a gutter level. :devil:

10. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Aww, I don't mind Horatio's way of interacting with victims & their families. Yeah, it gets to the point where you can predict he's going to tell someone "But we have to solve this crime, because I made a promise to a scared 16 year old girl whose mother was just murdered..." Blah Blah Blah. But somehow, I think it works with Horatio, whereas I don't think that method would ring true with Mac, and who he is. Different backgrounds, different personalities, different ways of dealing with crimes, victims and families. Not meaning that Mac is less empathetic than Horatio, because deep down I don't think he is. He just isn't the guy to wear his heart on his sleeve very easily (even with Peyton). I think his less emotional, more clinical detachment and his "Just the facts, m'am" attitude is what helps him deal with what he sees every day, whereas with Horatio, it's his attachment to the victims that help him make it through his day. Different guys, vastly different ways of dealing with their jobs, but I always thought the two had great onscreen chemistry.

Mac is my obvious favorite overall, but of the three Lab Leaders on the CSI shows, I enjoy the way Mac and Horatio do their jobs. As I said, vastly different, but each method just "works" with each character, IMO.

11. privatename

privatename Rookie

I agree with both of the above posters. To me, Horatio comes across as creepy and overly sympathetic to the point where it is extremely annoying. And while Mac can come across as a little detached, I think he is almost always respectful towards the victims and their families. Plus, in reality while cops absolutely should show respect for the victims and their families, they are there to do a job and they can't get emotionally involved in every case. There is no way they would be able to survive emotionally. Plus, going back to Horatio, while I don't watch much CSI:Miami, some of the ones I have seen where Horatio gets too close to the victims and their families just strikes me as false.

Another episode that came to mind when Fruitbat was talking about times when Mac was shown to be quite sympathetic toward to victim was the episode where the unsub kept his victims alive, but in a state where they couldn't actually move at all. He was very sympathetic towards the victim and spent time talking with her. Anyway, obviously everyone is going to see things differently, but I also really prefer Mac and Grissom to Horatio -- any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Edited to add:

While I like Mac in black and even voted for the title "Back in Black" for this thread, black shouldn't be the only color shirt Mac wears. I haven't kept an actually count, but he was wearing black again last night.

12. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

Horatio is not creepy.
    He's just more sympathetic towards the victims.
    Mac is way too closed off - which makes him cold.

But consider this guys - Whats better someone who cares - or someone who ignores basic emotion - that is human nature?

Sometimes If you've been in situations that some of these families/victims have been in you can't help but get emotionally involved. i.e. child abuse.

13. privatename

privatename Rookie

That is your opinion and I know people who agree with you including one of my closest friends. I find him creepy -- especially when he deals with kids. Again that is my opinion. Yours differs and I am okay with that.

Again, I don't think Mac ignores basic emotion. He doesn't always wear his heart on his sleeve as someone above also said, but that doesn't mean he ignores basic emotion. There are cases that were mentioned by Fruitbat where Mac clearly sympathizes with the victims and gets emotionally involved. It just isn't every single case that comes along where he showsthe same level of intense emotion.

Very true. There are cases where I am sure many cops would get emotionally involved and for each cop that might be a different case, but I don't know that a cop's psyche would survive if he let every case get to him/her on an emotional level. I think it would overload them.

14. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Funny Stellaluna has the same thought about the blue shirts he wears. Last nights episode upped the blue count to 10 for this season alone.

:D :D :D

15. bumble_bee89

bumble_bee89 Rookie

i love his green shirt he wore back in Corporate Warriors XD

because i'm that sad i know what scene's he wears it in lmao

i like to look at shirts, i like shirts...lmfao!

okay, now ive made myself sound crazy...does anyone have any caps from last nights eppy? i hear there was a cute smirk in there somewhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.