Mac #5: Back In Black!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by nattybatty55, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RanMa

RanMa CSI Level Two

Yay! New Mac thread :D

Great pics everyone! The best way to start my day.

So going back to Mac, do you think he has changed a lot since S1? In which season (excluding S4 since it's still running) do you like him best?

2. CathStokes

CathStokes Head of the Day Shift

I seem to miss all the new thread openings don't I? well congrats everyone on number 5. I remember when it was just number 1. Its grown up and gone by so fast :(

Its a toss up between 1 and 4 for me, really.

3. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Me personally I loved season 1 Mac. The writers gave us a character with so much pent up emotion and depth, which gave Gary something to get his teeth into. Season 2 seamed to lack any depth until the latter half of the season where it improved, plus season 2 showed little of the friendship Mac had with Stella.

But season 3 Mac I really enjoyed as well. The interactions with Flack and Reed through out the season were a joy to watch. Plus some really good Mac Stella friendship moments which reaffirmed the close friendship we saw in season 1.

So 1 and 3 but if I had to choose I think season 1 still wins, for me it was a little more real and gritty . If I could mix elements of 1 and 3, I would be very happy.
    :D

4. bumble_bee89

bumble_bee89 Rookie

I'd possibly say i liked season 3 out of them all so far, excluding season 4 obviously.

season 3 shows a lot of friedship and the relationship with Peyton was fantastic to bring out more in his character...

i loved that :D

5. Tequesta

Tequesta Rookie

You know what, I give up. I'm going to carry a bucket around with me. At all times. To catch the excess drool. But I forgot it today, of all days. I really should come prepared. Now I'm just babbling...

6. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

BB I agree I love Season 3 :D

Tequesta, happy birthday!

7. fastfoodjunkie

fastfoodjunkie Rookie

Yay, new thread! *thorws confetti*

The man is so hot, he has finally ignited. :D

Tequesta, [​IMG]

8. bumble_bee89

bumble_bee89 Rookie

Happy birthday Tequesta!!!!!

Season 4 is great, lucky for me i can watch it here in England (because i have my sources!!)

9. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I'd love it if we used this thread to discuss Mac's character as well as just for pic posting and discussion. I mean, as bumblebee said, it's the 'whole package' that makes Mac so appealing. It's not just his looks, it's his personality too.

I love s1 Mac for the same reason. I love the pent up emotion in Mac in episodes like 'Blink'. That final scene in Blink, with Mac at Ground Zero is just such a defining and emotional moment, it's just so powerful, and that Gary manages to show all of Mac's emotion/vulnerability/pain without even speaking a single word is testament to what a talented actor he is. Although Danny was the more openly emotional character in s1, I always noticed that Mac was a character of great emotion too, which is shown in scenes like the final one in Blink, or in episodes like 'Night, Mother' when he connects with that sleepwalking woman. What I also love about s1 is the depth Mac's character is given. We see him Pissy! in scenes like that in Tanglewood, but there are also moments when he's so gentle and sweet -anyone remember how gently he spoke to thst woman in the coma in Blink, and how he apologized for causing her any inconveinience? And also in 'Officer Blue' with the whole story with Mac delaying taking the bullet out of the horse. He did that not because he's a huge animal lover, but so that the little girl could say goodbye to her horse. I think Mac knows all too well what it's like not to be able to say goodbye properly to someone you love before they die because of Claire dying so suddenly on 9/11, and he doesn't want anyone else to have to experience that. In episodes like 'The Closer' we saw just how dedicated Mac is to seeing justice served and that scene where he talks to Stella about how powerless he felt 'when the towers fell' is incredibly touching, and really gives insight into Mac's character and shows why he does what he does, why he cares so much about protectiing innocent people and bringing them justice for the death of their loved ones. I also love the dark, gritty NYC of the first season, it's a perfect background for the Mac of that season.

Again, I agree. I loved episodes like 'Heroes' - I loved hearing Mac talk about being in the Marines, and how he returned the watch to the waitress at the bar - he didn't even know either of the Marines who died (Price and Ellie's fiance who died in Iraq) but he completed their 'mission' of getting the watch to Ellie, which showed that, just like Flack said 'Once a Marine, always a Marine'. I loved 'Charge of this Post' because again we learnt more about Mac's marine past. Also, s2 shows how much he cares about his team members - he's there for Danny in RSRD and even hugs him in a friendly/fatherly protective and comforting way, he's shows how much he cares for Stella in 'All Access'- the look on his face when the call comes over the radio to say something's happened at her address says it all, and he shows how much he cares about Flack in CotP.

I loved the interactions with Reed too. I love how awkward/uncertain Mac is in his encounters with Reed, and I love that he decides to continue his relationship with Reed because he believes it's what Claire would want. I also love the end scene in Consequences with Mac and Reed in the diner because again we get some of that pent up emotion we saw in s1 that has to do with Claire's death. Gary acts that scene so well, with his eyes and body language, it's clear how much being confronted with this sudden reminder of Claire deeply affects Mac - when Reed asked him to describe her to him, I love how Mac can hardly speak - he clears his throat and struggles to form sentences. We see that again in 'Some Buried Bones' too, when Mac has to tell Reed that Claire was never found, a fact which clearly tears him up inside. What I really like about the whole Reed storyline too is that it shows what kind of a man Mac is - he obviously loved Claire despite the fact that she had a child with another man when she was very young and he then welcomes that child into his life years later, despite not being related to him.
    I loved Mac's relationship with Flack too. I think his conflict with Flack in Consequences etc showed that Mac is flawed and therefore human (which we also saw in Comes Around) and also shows that he has a high moral code and strong sense of right and wrong. It was nice to see that Mac isn't perfect, and that he does make mistakes and act like a jerk sometimes just like REAL people do. I know some people think Mac is 'too righteous' or sees things to much in terms of black and white, and maybe he does sometimes, but I like that about him. And I don't think he's too righteous, I just think he holds to a very high moral code, and I like that about him.
    I also liked how Mac's relationship with Peyton opened him up more throughout the season. There were some great moments with him and Stella too.

So, favorite Mac? Hmmm....probably the same as you, FB, s1 and s3. I like s4 Mac a lot too - it's nice to see him made uneasy/tense by the whole 333 thing, and I loved his interaction with Adam and Flack in Down the Rabbit Hole. And on a less serious note, I do like his wardrobe this season. :devil:

Sorry if this is all a load of babble, and sorry also for falling into the gutter at the last moment, I just can't help it.

10. MarineGirl#1

MarineGirl#1 CSI Level Three

Happy BD Tequesta :lol: Well Bumble, you're in luck. Here in The Netherlands we still have reruns and reruns. I just embrase the internet! :devil: *scrolls up to the pic and runs for a bucket to hose of Mac* :lol:

11. bumble_bee89

bumble_bee89 Rookie

I think we should do a compleat run down of season 1,2,3 and 4 so far...
    Sort of, Analyse it...

thus, S1 Ep. 1
    Blink - we find out Mac's depressed, we are introduced to the characters...we first see interactions between characters and know who is going to be friends with who and whom will not get along ect.

We also find out towards the end why Mac is depressed, he lost his wife, clearly by how he is it was not too long ago...and we see Stella trying to help him a little.

12. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

It was gonna happen one day. We better put the fire out...anyone got a hosepipe or lots of buckets? :devil:

13. bumble_bee89

bumble_bee89 Rookie

*breaks out a firehose*

Watch out...i have water!!

14. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

No offence to anyone.........

But,I'm begining to lose respect for this guy(Mac Taylor).
    First, I liked the humbleness,and depth of the character, but then things changed, I realised this guy is really cold hearted towards most people, he treats the victims same way he treats the criminals (except for those rare occsasions)This the reason why I like Miami better - the victims & their families are treated with respect & dignity,there is that sence of trust. Not to mention respect for the other CSIs(or employees). Thats not a good way to build trust & respect in general terms. Sometimes I think he abuses his rights as police officer.Just my opinion.

(& like I said no offence, just put the gun down, no harm intended :rolleyes:)

15. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

^^^^ We all have our opinions! But personally I love it when mac looses it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.