Locker Room #17: Danny/Carmine: Our Utility Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
... okay, "What, am I too old for your or something?" is a weird comment for Danny ?

I really don't think that is a weird comment to make at all, I have heard several men say similar things when talking about paedophiles and I have never taken it to me they were sexual abused in the past, I take it more as provocation for a fight - kinda 'why don't they taken on someone their own size' type thing.

However I do agree that Danny uses sex to please people and it could be something that he has learnt/seen in his past, maybe his mother used sex to pacify his father or something.

I think I have to agreed with Poppet on this one. I don't think it is that a odd comment to make. I am sure that in "Cold Case" Scotty said something very like it in one episode (at the end of that one he beat the you know what out the guy!!) and it was his older brother who had been abused not him.

In retrospect, I should have used 'outstanding' (readily attracting notice) instead of 'weird'. :lol: My apologies for using an inaccurate word that ended up changing the context of my sentence.

Poppet said:
I take it more as provocation for a fight - kinda 'why don't they taken on someone their own size' type thing.
I agree. The provocation and challenge is certainly there in Danny's words. What stood out to me was him seemingly (and perhaps unconsciously) placing himself in a victim's role or a role where sexual abuse would be something very personal to him, rather than say something like, "What, can't handle someone your own size?"

Like LME's example about Scotty in Cold Case saying something similar and the story being that his older brother had been abused, Danny's choice of words hinted at a personal association with sexual abuse.

It would be very interesting indeed if TPTB ever showed deep insight into Danny's psyche and made it canonical that Danny suffered from some sort of abuse at some point in his life. I'll be impressed if TPTB actually goes as far as hint that Danny has something akin to DPD, and show him going for treatment.

Carmine's sabbatical/asylum in season five comment from his interview, anyone? :lol:

I agree. The provocation and challenge is certainly there in Danny's words. What stood out to me was him seemingly (and perhaps unconsciously) placing himself in a victim's role or a role where sexual abuse would be something very personal to him, rather than say something like, "What, can't handle someone your own size?"

Exactly. He kind of put his body on display in front of the guy, too. There was a challenge there, and Danny was disgusted, but I sensed a personal undercurrent. Combining that with what we've seen throughout the show about how Danny seems to use/view sex, and I just think it could add up to something. Who knows if the writers will go there.

Like Kimmy, I don't see it being Danny's dad or brother. More likely a close relative. Homicide: Life on the Street did a really powerful storyline with one of their male characters where it came out that the guy had been sexually abused by his uncle. I could see a storyline like that with Danny.

I do think it's interesting that he's never really the initiator when it comes to sex. In all his time of pursuing Lindsay, it really was pretty innocent as far as those things go. He didn't really make sexual innuendos, and in fact the one time it seemed like she was, he put up his hands and said, "Whoa, whoa, slow down there." He wanted to spend time with her, but he wanted to get to know her, not get her in the sack. When it came time for it, she was the one who made the move.

I also think it was pretty clear that Rikki initiated with him the first time, too. When he saw what she wanted from him, then yeah, he wanted to give it to her. Hence, practically begging her to stay and coming on to her so she would--his first try was to make omelets, but when he saw that wasn't enough of an enticer, he went for sex knowing it would work. ;) I think he would have put out again to get Rikki not to move away.

In "Personal Foul," I absolutely think he wanted Lindsay to come over so he could offer her the one thing he figured she wouldn't say no to--sex. Danny seems to use it to appease people, and I think he was trying to do that with her there.

What if it stems back again to tanglewood gang.........

Girls love bad boys, maybe he watched his brother/gang treat girls like this, he was young hung around with big bro watching them play the girls, the girls thinking that they were "in love" and initiating the sex, the boys moving on to the next one that falls at there feet, or going back for sloopy seconds on the first one....maybe the gang wasnt for him but he looked up to his older brother.......

I know i was always kicked out of the house and my sister told to look after me :lol:

What if it stems back again to tanglewood gang.........

Girls love bad boys, maybe he watched his brother/gang treat girls like this, he was young hung around with big bro watching them play the girls, the girls thinking that they were "in love" and initiating the sex, the boys moving on to the next one that falls at there feet, or going back for sloopy seconds on the first one....maybe the gang wasnt for him but he looked up to his older brother.......

I know i was always kicked out of the house and my sister told to look after me :lol:

That is an interesting thought. Those Tanglewood Boys were not nice, so maybe he did see something when he was younger that he real should not have. I mean they murdered a guy over drugs and buried him in a stadium. Dare I say it, but would they be bothered by rape - unless of course it was there sister.

I do think it's interesting that he's never really the initiator when it comes to sex. In all his time of pursuing Lindsay, it really was pretty innocent as far as those things go. He didn't really make sexual innuendos, and in fact the one time it seemed like she was, he put up his hands and said, "Whoa, whoa, slow down there." He wanted to spend time with her, but he wanted to get to know her, not get her in the sack. When it came time for it, she was the one who made the move.

I also think it was pretty clear that Rikki initiated with him the first time, too. When he saw what she wanted from him, then yeah, he wanted to give it to her. Hence, practically begging her to stay and coming on to her so she would--his first try was to make omelets, but when he saw that wasn't enough of an enticer, he went for sex knowing it would work. ;) I think he would have put out again to get Rikki not to move away.

In "Personal Foul," I absolutely think he wanted Lindsay to come over so he could offer her the one thing he figured she wouldn't say no to--sex. Danny seems to use it to appease people, and I think he was trying to do that with her there.

I think you're right about the way he uses sex. I'm not sure about him 'putting out' to stop Rikki from moving away though because deep down I think he just wanted to know that she'd be okay, it didn't seem to me that it had anything to do with wanting to keep her close by. What came across to me in that scene was that Rikki had got her act together and was making appropriate and therapeutic choices for herself, doing the best thing to help her get over her loss. However, had she not been so together I think it's quite possible that he would have 'put out' again, but again it would have been an attempt to ease her grief because of his guilt rather than to keep her there.

Another factor in him using sex is possibly his feelings of not being good enough. I've always got that vibe from Danny, he tries hard and his heart is very definitely in everything he does but there's a vulnerability and low self esteem that is often masked by bravado. I'm not sure he believes he has much to offer other than his body. His body is his valuable commodity, the one area where he doesn't feel he has to prove himself imo.

factor in him using sex is possibly his feelings of not being good enough. I've always got that vibe from Danny, he tries hard and his heart is very definitely in everything he does but there's a vulnerability and low self esteem that is often masked by bravado. I'm not sure he believes he has much to offer other than his body. His body is his valuable commodity, the one area where he doesn't feel he has to prove himself imo.

I hadn't thought about it that way before. But when I think back at some of the episodes I think you may have hit the nail on the head. He seems to be continually trying to proof himself. and lossing Ruben that way wouldn't have done him any favours in that department.

I found it really strange today I was watching an old episode of Without a Trace... not sure which season but Channel 4 in the UK stick it on in the mornings and they had a storyline about the character Danny who always reminds me of Danny.. totally confusing myself here :lol:

But it reminded me of him because it was about how he knew the smallest thing could send him back to what he didn't want to be and how they do anything to help the ones they love... In this it was his brother who was out of prison and got into trouble and it reminded me of Danny and Louies relationship in that part of them could easily block it out and not get involved but its not that easy.

Danny in WOAT hsas always reminded me a little of Danny in a wierd sense in that they refuse to let there past dictate there future. And the fact they both have good sense of humour.

Top41 said:
He kind of put his body on display in front of the guy, too. There was a challenge there, and Danny was disgusted, but I sensed a personal undercurrent. Combining that with what we've seen throughout the show about how Danny seems to use/view sex, and I just think it could add up to something. Who knows if the writers will go there.
Him displaying his body = perhaps overdoing bravado? It can possibly be read as him trying too hard to be the tough guy in the moment; if he really had been sexually abused as a child, he would probably have been very perturbed at being in the presence of a paedophile, adult or not.

Should the writers go for it, I'm sure Carmine will hit straight out of the ball park as always! :D

Like Kimmy, I don't see it being Danny's dad or brother. More likely a close relative. Homicide: Life on the Street did a really powerful storyline with one of their male characters where it came out that the guy had been sexually abused by his uncle. I could see a storyline like that with Danny.
Yeah, I can see it being an uncle. In Criminal Minds, there was an episode that features a missing little girl who'd been sexually abused by her uncle, and her parents never knew it until she went missing and the BAU team had to find her. Danny would be less likely to report, say, a close relative whom his immediate family trusts implicitly than say, one of the Tanglewood boys. Danny would never have willingly gone with Louie to hang out with them if that was the case.

There's always the possibility he was only flirting with her the whole time but she mistook it for him being sexually interested in her, to the point he felt he couldn't back away without hurting her feelings. I will even go as far to say it could be he never intended for things to ever go beyond flirting and only wanted to be her friend. Him asking her out for dinner/lunch (and she turned him down both times) and him flying to Montana are hardly 100% definitive evidence that he's 'in love with her'. A mere good friend is just as capable of doing those things without any romantic connotation to it. And yes, speaking of Lindsay being the initiator, she was the one who tried to kiss him straight away after the trial.

Carmine also stated in one of his interviews that 'nothing happened between Danny and Lindsay before Snow Day' and that Danny 'had gone to Montana only as a friend'. So there ya go.

Since the consensus is that Danny sees sex as a commodity and puts no personal association/emotional investment in it, and that he uses sex to please people, the sex in Snow Day and his behavior the whole of season four fits right in with that theory. To him, it was very likely just another act to please, and nothing more, just like going out on lunches with her or watching movies together. I'll bet that, every time since Snow Day, she's the one who asks him out and not vice versa. His annoyance at her anger (unjustified, at that) for him turning down lunch hints at that. And I'll bet, every time, he'd say yes just to please her more than him wanting to do it.

Yeah, I won't be surprised if Rikki was the initiator of the sex. I highly doubt Danny would have made the first move in this case, even if we didn't have proof that he's not the initiator in other cases. In his mind, it was his fault Ruben died and there was no way Danny would have just jumped to the conclusion sex would bring comfort to Rikki unless Rikki showed some sign that it would.

Therefore, his main purpose in having sex with her was to ease HER pain, not just his. If she showed even the slightest sign that it was truly hurting her, he would have stopped immediately. The last thing he would want to do is hurt her more.

And yes, I agree, if she had given him the chance, he would very likely have had sex with her again so she'd stay instead of move away and out of his life. His blatant expression of upset at merely hearing Rikki was moving away said everything.

Definitely second this. He wasn't interested in talking, his question to Lindsay at the end of the call was, to me, a rather lame attempt at just getting her to go over to his apartment. He already said what he felt was enough to say, and when he realized it hadn't been enough to please Lindsay and stop her being mad at him, he went for the 'big prize', so to speak.

To her credit, she didn't fall for the trap. And if what she said to Mac is any indication of her thoughts about getting involved with Danny and she's smartened up, she's never going to let herself fall for it again.

JellyBelly said:
I'm not sure about him 'putting out' to stop Rikki from moving away though because deep down I think he just wanted to know that she'd be okay, it didn't seem to me that it had anything to do with wanting to keep her close by.
I agree that Danny would want to know she would be okay. I think Top41 was discussing the possibility of him doing that, not that he actually did offer sex or that was the only intent he had. But considering the fact that he did do that before, in episode 4x16, it is more than likely that he would have done it again if Rikki hadn't said to him to 'just say goodbye', thus cutting off any chances of him trying that tactic.

And speaking of episode 4x16 and Danny and sex, I thought Danny's behavior towards Rikki and his dialogue was significantly different than with Lindsay in the season three finale. With Lindsay, it was as if once they'd done the deed, he didn't really respond to her unless she initiated conversation (again, proving the point he's not the initiator in regards to Lindsay). It was as if he was pleased with himself for finally having 'defused' the whole 'yes no yes no' situation and believed he'd 'placated' Lindsay. Heh, he could very well have used the excuse of taking her shift to put distance between him and her as soon as possible. His detached, even irritated answer to Lindsay's statement of 'thinking he'd left' was good proof of the distance already developing between them/him pushing her away.

With Rikki, however, as Top41 mentioned, he practically begged her to stay, to the point of 'bribing' her with his special Messer omelette and was the initiator of sex the second time around. (Hmmm, maybe Danny could have been the one who initiated sex with Rikki after all.) He also said in his words to Rikki about their pain that he wasn't just doing it for her, that he was doing it for himself too and confessed it straight out.

So if I had to choose one example of Danny putting out only for the sake of pleasing the other person, it'll be Snow Day. ;)

Ya know, I just realized we are having serious discussion in the Locker Room thread. :lol: Okay, guys, we gotta start posting pictures of the guy this thread's all about! :lol:

Carmine3.jpg

^ one of my faves for some reason. Think its the stance and the muscular arms... his arms are lovely.

I was gonna get into the discussion but my short attention span means I start reading get distracted and wander off and then when I try to reply confuse myself as much as i enjoy it.

I can post pictures thats not hard.

Another factor in him using sex is possibly his feelings of not being good enough. I've always got that vibe from Danny, he tries hard and his heart is very definitely in everything he does but there's a vulnerability and low self esteem that is often masked by bravado. I'm not sure he believes he has much to offer other than his body. His body is his valuable commodity, the one area where he doesn't feel he has to prove himself imo.

I think that's exactly it. Danny doesn't have any real faith in himself, but he does know people desire him. People really react to Danny sexually, and I think he picks up on that. So he knows when it comes down to it, his body is something he can offer up. "Commodity" is a good word because I do think that's how Danny sees his body.

Yeah, I can see it being an uncle. In Criminal Minds, there was an episode that features a missing little girl who'd been sexually abused by her uncle, and her parents never knew it until she went missing and the BAU team had to find her. Danny would be less likely to report, say, a close relative whom his immediate family trusts implicitly than say, one of the Tanglewood boys. Danny would never have willingly gone with Louie to hang out with them if that was the case.

Yeah, I agree. It would be more likely to be a relative than say, one of the Tanglewood boys. Still, I doubt Danny would have ever spoken against them, because of Louie's involvement with them.

There's always the possibility he was only flirting with her the whole time but she mistook it for him being sexually interested in her, to the point he felt he couldn't back away without hurting her feelings. I will even go as far to say it could be he never intended for things to ever go beyond flirting and only wanted to be her friend. Him asking her out for dinner/lunch (and she turned him down both times) and him flying to Montana are hardly 100% definitive evidence that he's 'in love with her'. A mere good friend is just as capable of doing those things without any romantic connotation to it. And yes, speaking of Lindsay being the initiator, she was the one who tried to kiss him straight away after the trial.

Ehhh, I don't quite see it that way. I think he was interested in her romantically, but I do think it's intriguing that for him, the moves weren't ever sexual. He never suggested they stop by his apartment during a case for a quickie--he just wanted to have lunch with her. :lol: Even when they got together, or smoothed out their differences since I guess we still don't know if they were together, it was her, not him, who was the sexual aggressor.

Since the consensus is that Danny sees sex as a commodity and puts no personal association/emotional investment in it, and that he uses sex to please people, the sex in Snow Day and his behavior the whole of season four fits right in with that theory. To him, it was very likely just another act to please, and nothing more, just like going out on lunches with her or watching movies together. I'll bet that, every time since Snow Day, she's the one who asks him out and not vice versa. His annoyance at her anger (unjustified, at that) for him turning down lunch hints at that. And I'll bet, every time, he'd say yes just to please her more than him wanting to do it.

It seems pretty obvious that he lost interest in her after "Snow Day," but I wonder if it's because he saw her as just another person who wanted to get him in the sack. Maybe he figured she didn't really care for him or something like that. I don't think any of her behavior in 416-419 proved she did, but to Danny, her being angry at him is something he probably equates with caring about him. The low self-esteem coming into play.

Yeah, I won't be surprised if Rikki was the initiator of the sex. I highly doubt Danny would have made the first move in this case, even if we didn't have proof that he's not the initiator in other cases. In his mind, it was his fault Ruben died and there was no way Danny would have just jumped to the conclusion sex would bring comfort to Rikki unless Rikki showed some sign that it would.

I think it's pretty obvious Rikki made the first move. I can't see Danny coming on to her with all the guilt he was feeling over Ruben.

Therefore, his main purpose in having sex with her was to ease HER pain, not just his. If she showed even the slightest sign that it was truly hurting her, he would have stopped immediately. The last thing he would want to do is hurt her more.

And yes, I agree, if she had given him the chance, he would very likely have had sex with her again so she'd stay instead of move away and out of his life. His blatant expression of upset at merely hearing Rikki was moving away said everything.

Agreed on both counts.

And speaking of episode 4x16 and Danny and sex, I thought Danny's behavior towards Rikki and his dialogue was significantly different than with Lindsay in the season three finale. With Lindsay, it was as if once they'd done the deed, he didn't really respond to her unless she initiated conversation (again, proving the point he's not the initiator in regards to Lindsay). It was as if he was pleased with himself for finally having 'defused' the whole 'yes no yes no' situation and believed he'd 'placated' Lindsay. Heh, he could very well have used the excuse of taking her shift to put distance between him and her as soon as possible. His detached, even irritated answer to Lindsay's statement of 'thinking he'd left' was good proof of the distance already developing between them/him pushing her away.

I think he took her shift to do something sweet for her, because Danny is a sweet person. I think the rift developed after "Snow Day," and it could have had something to do with how she acted at the warehouse. He did cast a long look back at Flack as she was going on and on about herself as she dragged him off.

With Rikki, however, as Top41 mentioned, he practically begged her to stay, to the point of 'bribing' her with his special Messer omelette and was the initiator of sex the second time around. (Hmmm, maybe Danny could have been the one who initiated sex with Rikki after all.) He also said in his words to Rikki about their pain that he wasn't just doing it for her, that he was doing it for himself too and confessed it straight out.

I still don't think he initiated the first round just because he tried to get her to stay. I think for Danny, finding out Rikki wanted him was like the golden key--he suddenly realized there was something he could do to make her feel better. What he wanted (other than that) was mostly irrelevant--I think he was just glad to have found some small way to make her feel better.

Ya know, I just realized we are having serious discussion in the Locker Room thread. :lol: Okay, guys, we gotta start posting pictures of the guy this thread's all about! :lol:

Hey, I like serious discussion! :p

Top41 said:
It would be more likely to be a relative than say, one of the Tanglewood boys. Still, I doubt Danny would have ever spoken against them, because of Louie's involvement with them.
Man, I just suddenly remembered this fanfiction I came across a long time ago (or was it a Japanese fan comic?) where Sonny Sassone was the one who had sexually abused Danny in the past. Can you imagine how messed up it'd be if that ever became canon?!

Even when they got together, or smoothed out their differences since I guess we still don't know if they were together, it was her, not him, who was the sexual aggressor.
Yeah, it is something interesting, definitely. It makes me wonder if he's only like this with Lindsay. I recall him in season one and his offhand comment of 'having girlfriends for this', 'this' being sex. Would someone who needed the other person to be the initiator have that sort of mindset about sex and women? His comment had this implication that he didn't think much of his girlfriends/saw them as just there for his gratification. You'd need a certain amount of self-confidence (perhaps the better word is arrogance :p) to think that way. I didn't get the vibe that he was worried about them leaving him either.

It seems pretty obvious that he lost interest in her after "Snow Day," but I wonder if it's because he saw her as just another person who wanted to get him in the sack. Maybe he figured she didn't really care for him or something like that. I don't think any of her behavior in 416-419 proved she did, but to Danny, her being angry at him is something he probably equates with caring about him. The low self-esteem coming into play.
Hmmm. Ya know, this could be tied in with the possibility of sexual abuse in past. If that had happened, he might associate any sexual contact with it and assume the other person only wants to use him ... unless he was very certain of its purpose and trusted the other person, like him with Rikki.

Yeah, perhaps he wanted to get to know her first because he was unsure if she just wanted sex, but then she tried to kiss him and then made a move on him for sex, and well, maybe that's when he figured Lindsay really did just want sex and nothing more. I agree that her behavior in those episodes don't prove that she cares about him. If anything, they proved how self-absorbed she can be, manipulative, even.

Ya gotta be pretty messed up to think someone 'cares' for you if they're mad at you and treat you like crap for the most inane reason. :eek: :lol:

I think it's pretty obvious Rikki made the first move. I can't see Danny coming on to her with all the guilt he was feeling over Ruben.
Yeah, having thought about it some more, it was most likely Rikki who made the first move. I wonder how she did it though, or how they ended up having sex in the first place ... :lol:

I think he took her shift to do something sweet for her, because Danny is a sweet person.
And ironically enough, it was Rikki who told him that in more ways than one. :lol:

I think the rift developed after "Snow Day," and it could have had something to do with how she acted at the warehouse. He did cast a long look back at Flack as she was going on and on about herself as she dragged him off.
Ooh, I don't think Danny was happy about her dragging him away from Flack. Interesting she rudely cut Flack off and hauled Danny (who was badly injured) away from Flack as if she was jealous, no? ;) Even more interesting was, yeah, Danny casting a long look back at Flack after she blatantly attempted to make the situation all about herself. Why did Danny glance back at Flack? The only reason I can think of is that he knew how rude Lindsay had been to just cut off Flack like that and felt bad about it. Heh, that could have been the moment Danny realized Lindsay 'was not who he thought she was' ... which would actually explain why he was already distant and detached from her from the beginning of season four.

I still don't think he initiated the first round just because he tried to get her to stay. I think for Danny, finding out Rikki wanted him was like the golden key--he suddenly realized there was something he could do to make her feel better. What he wanted (other than that) was mostly irrelevant--I think he was just glad to have found some small way to make her feel better.
I do agree that Rikki most likely initiated the first round. It's the second one that was shown on screen that I meant. ;)

Hey, I like serious discussion! :p
I like it too! :p

Man, I just suddenly remembered this fanfiction I came across a long time ago (or was it a Japanese fan comic?) where Sonny Sassone was the one who had sexually abused Danny in the past. Can you imagine how messed up it'd be if that ever became canon?!

Yeah, I seem to remember that comic. I also read a fic where Sonny raped Danny, and at least one other that suggested they'd been involved in a way that wasn't entirely consensual on Danny's part. So I guess we're not the only ones to think along those lines.

Yeah, it is something interesting, definitely. It makes me wonder if he's only like this with Lindsay. I recall him in season one and his offhand comment of 'having girlfriends for this', 'this' being sex. Would someone who needed the other person to be the initiator have that sort of mindset about sex and women? His comment had this implication that he didn't think much of his girlfriends/saw them as just there for his gratification. You'd need a certain amount of self-confidence (perhaps the better word is arrogance :p) to think that way. I didn't get the vibe that he was worried about them leaving him either.

I read that differently--as disdain for the idea that he'd ever visit a prostitute. I don't think Danny disrespects women or treats them cavalierly. I just don't see him like that. I think he is confident in his body, but maybe not the idea that anyone would stay with him because he's too "difficult to love." ;)

Hmmm. Ya know, this could be tied in with the possibility of sexual abuse in past. If that had happened, he might associate any sexual contact with it and assume the other person only wants to use him ... unless he was very certain of its purpose and trusted the other person, like him with Rikki.

I don't think he cared if Rikki was using him--he was just happy to have some small way to make her feel better. But yeah, Danny might equate sex with using him, which might explain why he pulled away from Lindsay after they slept together.

Yeah, perhaps he wanted to get to know her first because he was unsure if she just wanted sex, but then she tried to kiss him and then made a move on him for sex, and well, maybe that's when he figured Lindsay really did just want sex and nothing more. I agree that her behavior in those episodes don't prove that she cares about him. If anything, they proved how self-absorbed she can be, manipulative, even.

Ya gotta be pretty messed up to think someone 'cares' for you if they're mad at you and treat you like crap for the most inane reason. :eek: :lol:

Well, that's Danny. The way she told him she fell in love with him and then just pushed him away was manipulative, and Danny fell for it because he's vulnerable and has low self-esteem. That whole storyline just showed how messed up he really is.

Ooh, I don't think Danny was happy about her dragging him away from Flack. Interesting she rudely cut Flack off and hauled Danny (who was badly injured) away from Flack as if she was jealous, no? ;) Even more interesting was, yeah, Danny casting a long look back at Flack after she blatantly attempted to make the situation all about herself. Why did Danny glance back at Flack? The only reason I can think of is that he knew how rude Lindsay had been to just cut off Flack like that and felt bad about it. Heh, that could have been the moment Danny realized Lindsay 'was not who he thought she was' ... which would actually explain why he was already distant and detached from her from the beginning of season four.

That whole sequence was kind of interesting. Danny's very passive when it comes to people he cares about--he kind of lets them do what they will with him. Lindsay dragging him off when Flack wanted EMS to come to him obviously wasn't the best thing for him, but he didn't oppose her.

Danny has many issues but I am just not sure I can see sexual abuse for him or his immediate family as one one of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back