Locker Room #17: Danny/Carmine: Our Utility Guy

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Subtitle: We can use him for what we want.

Oh...and we will. We will. :devil: :devil: :devil:

New thread, continued from here!

Now, let's get back to Danny/Carmine...one thing I've been wondering about is what people think, to date, is Carmine's best performance in CSI: NY? Danny has had a lot of great eps, but which one blew you away? Which one sticks out in your mind as his best? Tough one, I know, but have at it!

And just for fun, I'll make a poll with some of the options...

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

OK, this one is a tough one. For me, it came down to "On the Job," "Run Silent, Run Deep" and "Child's Play." He was so good in all three episodes--he really gave a phenomenal performance each time.

But if we're talking about which one was best overall, I had to go with "On the Job." Though his crying scene at the end of RSRD was amazing, I felt like the speech he gave by Louie's bedside was a bit clunky because of the writing. "Hurt my heart"? :eek: Even an Academy Award winner couldn't do much with that. "Child's Play" was great, but I was a little bothered by the way Danny said he was afraid he would miss Ruben if he went home. It came off as just a tiny bit too flippant. I knew Danny didn't mean it that way, but it stood out from the rest of the episode because of that delivery, and that irked me a bit.

So I went with "On the Job," because in that episode I felt his performance was flawless. I was right there with Danny the entire time, even when I didn't agree with him. His confusion, the way he felt trapped, his desperation for support--Carmine sold all of that. I loved that scene where Mac dressed him down and Danny couldn't say anything--he just stood there silently, shaking his head, but unable to speak. And the scene where he turns to Flack for comfort in the diner and then is too distraught to accept the comfort Flack is offering is just pitch perfect. From start to finish, that was a magnificent performance.

3. Lorelai

Lorelai CSI Level One

:lol: Well I love him in just about all of those episodes, but my heart is still set on "On the Job." He was brilliant in "Trapped", RSRD, ... Comes Around, SD & CP. It came down to these episodes, but OTJ made me love him, so I still go with that one. ;)

Yay for the new locker room! :D
    And the quote that inspired our tread title:

ETA to add The Smile ;)

[​IMG]

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

This is an extremely tough, but great, question. I went with RSRD simply because of the raw emotion shown. It really blew me away.

OTJ is amazing, too, for the reasons already posted. "Trapped" and CP stand out to me for their subtlety. I don't think that's the right word, but what I mean is the way he conveyed so much with his non-verbal communication. Not that he didn't in other episodes, but "Trapped" and CP really stand out to me for that reason.

5. snowbird

snowbird Witness

I found it hard to choose because for me he keeps getting better and better. Tanglewood was the first one that drew me more into his character, and made him not just a pretty face. But the more the writers give his character the more he performs it.

6. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

As much as i really enjoyed CP i have to say i love Outside Man for his perfomance.

It was the scene at the end with Mac i always have in my head it was so perfectly done and the whole way he took charge at the start and was determined to prove himself. To me it told us a lot about Danny and how he works.

And the lil part of me liking the suits in S1... soo much sexier.

7. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i picked "Child's Play" just b/c Carmine was so touching and did a fabulous job. there are not many male actors that are believable when they have to sad or emotions but there's just something with Carmine/Danny that is so believable and real.

it's like whenever Danny is angry i feel angry or when he feels sad or upset i feel upset. i think that's a great testement to his acting if he can make me or anyone else feel that way.

8. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

I liked him most in that video where he was with Eddie and I think it was shot in a ... hotel room?

Oh. I'm sorry, you were asking about his best performance as Danny in CSI:NY. :p :lol: ;) I can't choose just one. I love them all for different reasons. :D (But I also gotta say, the ones where he has scenes with Flack always stand out to me.)

9. ericisacutie

ericisacutie Lab Technician

It was hard, for me it was between Snow Day and Childs Play! I loved him in both of those!! Oh, and I am totally in love with the shirt he wore in the Halloween episode, I told him that too in my letter. :lol:

10. althea

althea Lab Technician

I went for Outside Man it was Danny's first case as the lead investigator and you could just tell he really was so driven to find out who commited the crime. He grew throughout the episode making some bad calls in the beginning jumping to conclusions without evidence. But the end still really stands out for me Danny sitting alone when Mac walks in surrounded by the evidence and Danny gives a little speech about the case and it just ends with him shaking his head like he really just doesn't get why people do the horrible things that they sometimes do. :(
    Its my most watched episode my dvd disc doesn't even work properly for the epi anymore I've watched it so many times.

11. flackfan_82

flackfan_82 Witness

I love all those episodes, they all showcase different aspects of what makes Danny such a relatable and special character, and also what makes Carmine such an amazing talent.

I am gonna go out on a limb and go with '...Comes Around'; to me, this one showcases the integral nature of Danny's character. He is there for Mac, and he uses his sarcastic humor defensively during the trial; And the scene between him and Flack is just priceless, showing the natural chemistry that Eddie and Carmine share. He shows his vulnerability in this episode in a way that makes you empathize without pitying...

12. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

I don't have a particular favourite Danny episode, cause I just love the character, but Trapped stands out for the way he's bouncing off the walls, pacing up and down, stood up, sat down, wringing his hands, running his hands through his hair. The way he's just so hyperactively adorable, having to trust others to get him out, when you know he'd just rather claw his way out on his own.

13. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

That was a tough choice because all his performances in my opinion are in general always good. I was stuck between On The Job and Child's Play but I had to go with Child's Play.

I think this one for me mainly because of like what PerfectAnomaly said, his subtlety(I think that's the right word) and just the way he breezes through such emotional material like it's second nature. Like it was just so much more powerful to watch him not bawling all over the place but almost be there. And not many people can pull of the "On the brink of tears" thing without looking like they're just struggling to cry on cue.

I've said this quite a bit but the man's an amazing actor and the man will one day win an Emmy even if it means I have to make it myself out of tin foil, cardboard and paint :p

14. Seren_y_Gogledd

Seren_y_Gogledd Rookie

I've gone for Heroes, because of the way he reacted when he discovered the charred remains were Aiden's.

15. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

I voted for RSRD. I haven't seen CP yet *boohoo* -- but then again, Carmine always gives the greatest performances regardless of the material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.