Let's Talk Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiaCharlize

Coroner
Continued from Say NO to homophobia this is the place to discuss all things queer.
Questions, comments, expierences. Everyone's welcomed to share their stories and views.

Please stick to the rules though, I assume everyone knows the drill already, same as any other place in this forum.

Now, happy posting.

:D

Have you seen how even the most outwardly gay men play straight men in tv shows? Grrr its so annoying

it is true thats why i hate will and grace.. its so overdone.. but thats how the wanna show it to the world and we now its different..

I used to watch Will&Grace occasionally. I think it's actually funny. As long as you don't take it serious.
The sad thing about it is, the stories and characters are based on existing prejudices that, while they may contain a shred of truth, are being exaggerated and generalized for entertainment. There are many people who think that all gay men are like Will or worse, like Jack.
I love those characters because they are caricatures. But I hate how they are representative for the gay community in the media. People actually believe they mirror real life. But they DO NOT.
It's just a sitcom.

i have to give you right about that mia its so but sometimes i can laugh about the show but i hate the overdone thing the have but your opion is ok and i can feel like that to..

I actually know some gay men worse then the sterotype that is Jack so sometimes Will and Grace is not that overdone. I said sometimes though...I actually think the character of Will is done in a nice way. Yes, he is stereotype gay in some ways but that character helped a friend of me come out because he admired the confidence in which Will is gay and wanted to feel good about himself too after years of playing someone he was not. Will and Grace may be overdone but it also took guts to make that show and broke some boundaries for people who needed that.

the stereotypes that ive found out about bisexual girls and gay girls, is that all of them are butch...or manly like. My ex girlfriend wasnt like that at all. She was just gothic, but still maintained her girly features. Some people got confused seeing 2 girls wearing all black, and looking really girly...but theres one thing that I like to say: If it doesn't bother us, it shouldnt bother them.

I haven't seen very many episodes of Will and Grace, but the ones I have seen I enjoyed. I am well aware that the characters are very stereotypical, and generalized, and not a reflection on real life, and if people can't realize that, then it's very sad. I think that's the point of a sitcom. The characters and situations are over done. It's not all that different from something like Friends. (please remember, this is just my opinion, don't be offended by it!)
If you want a more serious, less over-the-top show, try something like Queer as Folk (which I've only actually seen one ep of, so I don't know what it's really like).
Oh! I forgot. I've never posted in here before (or in the previous one), so, Hi!

Joy22 said:
I actually know some gay men worse then the sterotype that is Jack so sometimes Will and Grace is not that overdone. I said sometimes though...I actually think the character of Will is done in a nice way. Yes, he is stereotype gay in some ways but that character helped a friend of me come out because he admired the confidence in which Will is gay and wanted to feel good about himself too after years of playing someone he was not. Will and Grace may be overdone but it also took guts to make that show and broke some boundaries for people who needed that.

I didn't say the show was bad. It's nice to hear it gives gay people the confidence to come out and be proud of who they are.
And I too know someone who is your typical stereotype fag (I'm not using that word as an offense here) He's cute, a very good friend and I love really love him. He's a bit like Jack, just not quite that self-centered.
The only negative criticism I wanted to voice was that by far not all gay men are the way they are shown on that show, yet people are led to believe they are.

obsession_360 said:
the stereotypes that ive found out about bisexual girls and gay girls, is that all of them are butch...or manly like. My ex girlfriend wasnt like that at all. She was just gothic, but still maintained her girly features. Some people got confused seeing 2 girls wearing all black, and looking really girly...but theres one thing that I like to say: If it doesn't bother us, it shouldnt bother them.

I totally know what you mean. I'm not really very girly, but far from what people call butch. My ex was the same and people would look at us and go like "So who's the butch of you?"
As if lesbian relationships were automatically defined by femme/butch. Of course they exist but I know couples where both girls are, well girls. As well as I know a couple where you'd call both butch.
I dislike those terms though because I don't believe in labels. I'm a girl who is attracted to women. I'm tough, a little tomboyish but still like to dress up on occasion and even wear make up. So technically I'm neither butch nor femme. I'd go and call myself average, but there seems to be no term like that for describing lesbians. People always expect shorthaired machodykes when they hear lesbian. (Ok, not all do, but many)
There's nothing wrong with them, I like them, but there's a million different types of lesbians, just like there are millions different types of women. Why does everyone seemingly need to label them?

I agree with you, MiaCharlize. I hate lables. Though, that may have something to do with the fact that I don't really fit in with any lables. I don't understand why society in general feels the need to put everything into nice little 'groups'. It just doesn't work that way.

I don't like things like Pride. I mean, it's a nice thought, people in the community joining together and all, but how offended would you be if someone had a Straight Pride Parade, or a White Pride Parade?

^Partially agree. On the one hand gay people want to be accepted and treated like anyone else but on the other they want recognition and attention for being different.
I've never been to a pride festival, even though I wanted to. I have kinda biased thoughts about it.
I do believe in pride. I do support the quest for equal rights, and I think huge festivals with people in multicolored clothes (or lack of such clothes) is definitely a way to shout "We are there, we exist"
Still, many get the impression that being queer is about being different, not fitting in, wanting to attract attention. And partly it is. But for me it's mainly about tolerance and acceptance. Everyone has the right to be who they are, that is what Gay Pride is about. So I'm after all pro pride.

As for there not being Straight Parade (I could get into the aspect of White Parade as well but that's not topic here): It's not necessary. Straight people do not have to fight for their rights.
There are no clauses regarding heterosexuality in any law book. Whereas they are "special rights" for homosexuals. They are supposed to be taken as priviledges (I'm gay and I now have the very priviledged right to get a civil union")
But really, why can't I just plain get married like everyvody else if I want to? Because if you take a closer look that priviledge is joined with more restrictions than rights.
So yes, there is the need for Gay Pride and for us to demand equal rights. Equal means they apply to everybody, not just the "inner circle".

woah I've been away for a while... I had planned on not posting (this place is addicting) but I failed as should be apparent. Personally I would laugh at a straight pride parade. I would absolutely love to see one :lol: and find it thoroughly amusing. I find homophobic people amusing- the ones who just get really awkward at the idea of two girls holding hands. Oh like my friend's parents, I really really want to use a hairbrush microphone when both of her parents are home and start singing the Gay Eskimo song. I can't because she would get in trouble but I want to.

So how have you guys been?

Laetri said:
Oh like my friend's parents, I really really want to use a hairbrush microphone when both of her parents are home and start singing the Gay Eskimo song

The Arrogant Worms are amazing by ALL standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back