Last Photographer Standing #2 - Final Results Now Up!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueCurl, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

Re: Last Photographer Standing #2

I sent mine in too :D

2. Amy777

Amy777 Rookie

I sent mine in too on Thursday and have not heard yet. Did you get it?

3. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

yeah got your photo. I'm very busy! So I tend to send someone a PM when the photo isn't okay!

4. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

---- VOTING TIME ----
    You can decide who's the best photographer in this round! Read the rules, watch all the photos and vote! For the voting rules: See the initial post made! One person decided to use his/her free pass in this round. With 15 contestants left and 1 free pass makes a total of 14 LPS photos and 3 people decided to join this theme outside the LPS.
    Be sure to look which photo belongs to the LPS and which not before voting!

>>>>>>>>>> I also expect each LPS contestant to vote! <<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm a little busy at the moment so I try to keep things going smoothly but don't be mad if it takes a few days to answer your PM and things like it! Thanks in advance!

---- PHOTOS ----

Last Photographer Standing 2 Contestants

[​IMG]
    Photo #01

[​IMG]
    Photo #02

[​IMG]
    Photo #03

[​IMG]
    Photo #04

[​IMG]
    Photo #05

[​IMG]
    Photo #06

[​IMG]
    Photo #07

[​IMG]
    Photo #08

[​IMG]
    Photo #09

[​IMG]
    Photo #10

[​IMG]
    Photo #11

[​IMG]
    Photo #12

[​IMG]
    Photo #13

[​IMG]
    Photo #14

Other Contestants (NON LPS)

[​IMG]
    Photo #15

[​IMG]
    Photo #16

[​IMG]
    Photo #17

---- IMPORTANT ----

Please PM me if you don't see your photo!

5. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

Great! Another round of awesome pics! Let's see...

As for LPS voting:
    14 - Yeah, you can consider this abstract, but I would consider it random. I think to crop it down more to focus on the actual object would have been helpful to come from random street lamp to abstract photo.

(VOID!! See note below - 05 - Lovely pic of a tree and a sunset. But I would neither consider as being abstract. The pic is great, the colours are awesome, a shot like this doesn't happen that often... still,I would say it missed somewhat the theme.)

03 - I get the point of this being abstract, really I do. But as mentioned for pic 14, more cropping would have helped to put the nail on the head subjectwise.

12 - Too less contrast, a bit blurry, a better lighting would have given a higher contrast. That could have improved the quality of the pic. Nice idea though. Pretty abstract! ;) (Sorry couldn't resist)

Best pics:
    07 - Wow! Cool shot! You have no idea on first sight what this might be and you're totally caught until you think you figured what it is (still musing over it... ;) ). Also I think this is really well done on a photographic level. Everything just fits perfectly together! :D

04 - I guess you've arranged that and didn't find it that way. In any case, it is pretty abstract and IF you arranged it, I just have to say KUDOS just for that! I love it. That is really a cool pic. On a photography level I have to say that is a tiny bit blurry, that made me putting you on Nr. 2 instead of one.

08 - I like this one as well cause you have to think a moment on what this is in reality. The symmetrie of the lamp and of course the angle does help a lot to confuse you, so I think it is a well done example on how you can turn random stuff into sth abstract. Nice work. :)

I know I wasn't supposed to comment best pics, but I just felt the need to do so, not to the last because this theme was quite a tough one and so I thought feedback might be appreciated. :D [/b]

Edit: Because of discussion around theme fitting/non-fitting issue, I changed LPS votes from 14/05/03 to the one above. Reason in detail in post on next page.

6. Bev

Bev Pathologist

I like BonaTaylor's idea for commenting. I'm going to follow suit.

LPS

10 - The front of the image (table edge) was blurry and out of focus.

14 - There is no central image to draw the eye too. Is the main focus the clouds, the electrical pole, or the roof? Its hard to decide.

05 - I wouldn't really consider this an abstract. Its more of a landscape. As a landscape, its a great picture with one exception - there's a line at the very bottom of the image. Crop that out and you've got a wonderful image.

Best Pic

This was really, really hard to choose. There are some amazing images in this round. Great work everyone!

07 - Its a great image. Its nicely focused. The image seems to "pop" off the page.

04 - The framing of this picture makes it wonderful. There's a sense of humor to it.

11 - I love the sharpness and clarity of this image. When the LPS challenge is over would the photographer be willing to explain how and what this image is?

Great work everyone!

7. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Before I vote, there's just something I need to say.
    In the last LPS, we had an issue with people voting against photos that the didn't think fit the theme, and some people didn't feel that was fair. I myself felt I was unfairly voted off for this very reason. I think there were others who felt the same. This time around, BlueCurl is not allowing any photos that she doesn't think fit the theme, and I personally think she's a fairly good judge. Also, everyone interprets things differently, especially with open-ended themes.
    So, my point here is, I have noticed (in all the rounds, I think) that this has been happening again, and I don't think it's fair. I know that I have no say in this at all, but I'm personally asking that you vote based on the quality of the picture itself, not the interrpretation of the theme.
    *Steps off of soapbox* Sorry about that. I don't mean to be out of place here, but I needed to say it.

These are all great pictures, it's so hard to decide.

LPS:
    09 - This is a very cool photo. However, towards the middle, just below the light, it gets very blurry
    02 - Another very cool photo. But... maybe this is just me, or maybe it's the lighting in the pic, but it almost (and I know it isn't really) looks like two photos blended together.
    12 - There really isn't anything wrong with this photo, but I think maybe zooming in just a bit and putting the focus on one object, with the rest as a background would make it an even better pic.

Favorites:
    11: I'm not entirely sure what this picture is, but I love it. It's crisp, clear, ... and shiney :lol:
    07: I love the angle of this shot. It's a unique photo, it's fun and intreging.
    17: This is just cool. I love the set up of the shot, and the way it showcases time and technology. Plus, I always love black and white :p

8. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

@DragonflyDreamer: Do not take it personally... I like to throw my opinion right away to avoid another real soapbox okay?!?

I do accept photos that are quite on the edge. For some even over it IN MY OPINION. Why: My opinion isn't always right either it is hard to say if a photo is to far over the edge or not. Had quit a few discussions by PM with some of you already... ;)

My point of view is different than all of you. So for some people something may be abstract to others it may not. That is also the reason I will count votes that are based on that opinion. Also mainly because photography is not just quility and skills to handle a camera right. It is also based on that "relationship" from the viewer with a photo and someones experience in life.

When making photos for myself I just shoot some photos and I see what's nice afterwards. When I did my course I also had to satisfy my course teacher to get a good grade. I was making photos for an audience. Here that is the same. So people can judge you on that and the part if it fits the theme is also a part of that.

What I always do is read all the votes and compare it to my opinion and experience. If I think something is totally unfair I will let that one know or not count the vote! So also trust my fairly judgy skill on that okay?

Nuf' said... continue voting!

9. Missing

Missing Pathologist

LPS
    14 Its such a broad picture--the eye doesn't know where to go. Maybe if it was cropped and focused more on the light it would have been great.

10 I just feel I have to choose between above the chair or below the chair. I like the idea, maybe just a different angle would have been better.

6 I would really like to have this picture closer up and more compressed to get detail.

All:

7 Very good pic. I love the angle and the cloud in the back, just perfect fit.

4 If you did set this up that was great idea. If not just realizing to take it that way--great eye.

11 I just like the pic. The color and compostion are great.

10. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

LPS Voting:

#14 - I like the concept, but I don't know whether to focus on the clouds or the roof and light pole.

#12 - I like the woody feel, but have a hard time trying to find the focal point.

#5 - I love the picture, just having a hard time discerning if the clouds are the abstract part or if the tree is.

Over all:

11. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Ok, I know I say this every time I vote on this site in general, but without a doubt, this ABSTRACT theme is the toughest. Abstract is such so broad, and can represent SO many different things, and feelings. I looked at these photos this morning before work, and had to look again this evening, just to try and decide which 3 I was unfortunately going to have to choose.

Seeing we're basing things by the rules of this challenge (obviously) and are unable to do certain effects (if that even makes sense...lol), I have to base my pick by them...although, ALL the photos are great.

#14 - I agree with what BEV said. There was no central image to draw the eye too...Good idea though!

#2 - Once you get thoughts and/or images in your head, it is tough to look beyond. I found it difficult to look past the object that looked to divide the photo into two. Interesting concept though.

#10 - Personally, I found the photo to be a little to busy. My eye was drawn to the pillow/blanket, and it was tough to look away from it to see the rest of the photo. It was difficult to follow the flow of the objects. My eyes were jumping back and forth, trying to look at it.

OVERALL

#07 - I love the angle you took this photo.
    #08 - It's just a neat view in general.
    #16 - Like the stacked idea.

*hopes next challenge isn't as tough to decide*

12. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

wolfesgamergirl... you love and don't love 5 at the same time. Hm... some numbers got mixed up, I guess? ;) Happens... :lol:

As for the judging on a pic if it FITS the theme or not and if you could vote on that level, I wanna throw in just some quote from a professional photographer:

"By definition abstract photography is an aspect of photography that does not depict subject as they would appear in natural world. This is a very vague statement, and may include nearly any image which does not look like anything at all. So, how do we know which photographs we can classify as abstract and which we cannot."

Last sentence is true... it's hard to say what is abstract and what's not... still... I would say that the first sentence gives a general guideline on abstract photography which is somewhat common around the net and in books (I looked it up before go and entered my pic actually).

So, based on this, I should be able to phrase my disagreement with a pic.

That said, I do understand also that the idea of an LPS is to judge the photographer's skills instead of his/her hitting the nail on the head subjectwise. But we all agreed in the beginning, that we shouldn't focus too much on the photography skills of sb., 'cause it would have scared ppl off that aren't THAT deep into photography.

So, for my way of voting, I put anything into account I see, and then try to identify the "biggest flaws" that I see. This can't and won't never be objective, but I try to outbalance both, the theme fitting (if necessary) as well as the photography skills of sb. and then do my judging.

What is better... to vote sb out that didn't catch the theme or sb who did but entered a blurry pic? Who should be voted for then? It's really hard to tell...

Anyways... love this challenge and I hope nobody will be feeling misjudged one day. That's not what this challenge is supposed to create - bad feelings. :)

Happy voting everyone! :D

13. loki

loki Lab Technician

LPS:
    05: This is a pretty picture, but it doesn't seem very abstract :/
    14: This photograph seems like there's something missing...
    12: This picture seems kind of... washed out, maybe? It doesn't really stand out.

Best:

14. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Personally, I wouldn't find that a difficult decision. To me, a photo of good quality that might possibly not catch the theme quite as it should, ought to be held in higher regard than a blurry pic that may catch the theme, but is a poor photograph, in terms of quality. The quality of the photo should be paramount. The theme should be very much a secondary consideration. In the last LPS, wibble tried to make this very clear, and although BlueCurl is running the competitions at the moment, this guideline should really still be adhered to.

As DragonflyDreamer said, BlueCurl is assessing the entries anyway. This measure was brought in to prevent a recurrence of the 'theme' problem that occurred in the previous LPS. I also think BC's judgement is fairly sound in this regard, and therefore all entries should be relevant or loosely relevant to the theme in question anyway.

I just think for a 'Photography Competition' which is just amateur and fun ;) the appealing visual nature of a photo & it's quality, should be what it is judged on, not how well it fits the theme. :)

Anyway (lol)......

LPS

12 - No real focal point as such. It all rather blends together.

9 - Too close to subject, hence slightly blurry.

10 - The foreground of the image is lightly out of focus.

Overall

15. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I agree this one is really hard to judge. I am just basing it on what I feel is abstract.

LPS:
    5- While a very nice photo, it is not abstract to me. It is a nice scenic/sunset/landscape photo.

12- I can't tell what the what exactly this is supposed to be. It just looks like a bunch of wood. Nothing really abstract to me.

14- I am not sure what to think of this one, it just does not feel very abstract to me.

Overall: