Jesse/Eddie #1 - 'Today's My Last Day...'

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Sep 25, 2009.

1. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I think that the team looking like a team again is a huge benefit.The lack of team dynamics has been one of my biggest complaints. Hope to see the team dynamics continue to improve for season 9,but I'm already just a little pessimistic.
    I hope Eddie is right.If he does stay,I hope the writers can do everyone in that huge cast justice.

2. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

That's interesting because I thought the way Jesse was brought into the show was very clever. The fact that he had a past connection to the team was interesting to me and introduced many opporutnities to relate Jesse to the established characters, whether it be for comraderie purposes or an entire story arc.

I know some felt it was lazy writing so they didn't have to work on creating chemistry with the cast but really, Jesse was only connected to Horatio and Calleigh so there was still room to develop new relationships with Eric, Walter, Ryan, Natalia, Tripp etc. which I'm liking so far.

Yeah, and the fact that he apparently knew Speed was a plus in my book too. :lol: :eek:

I absolutely love this aspect of the season. The show feels a lot more laid back and cohesive now instead of comical, though we do get a good amount of cheese each week anyhow. :D I definitely feel like the show needed an injection of some new faces--some that were going to stick around longer unlike the morgue's revolving door.

I'm really hopeful that they keep him around, not only because I'm enjoying the team dynamic with him, Walter and Ryan, but because some characters really start to flesh out once the actors find their groove so there could be a lot more to work with (and I think there is).

3. mjszud

mjszud Captain

This I didn't mind so much -- it's the introduction with such a heavy dramatic storyline that I didn't/don't care for. I'm not too fond of the 'deceased spouse' storyline, especially on this show it seems to be on almost everyone's profile, so that isn't helping me like this storyline any better. I like Jesse & I think he could work well, but I'm really ready for this part to be over -- I'm more anxious to see what tptb have in store for him later. :)

4. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

I have to admit the way he came back to Miami and was linked to the "out of time" episode was clever, but I did not like how much screen time he had, and how we see more of him then Natalia and Ryan. This is the only problem I had with his upcoming. Otherwise I do not mind him at all and I can not wait for what TPTB have in store for him! I think they can do a great job in developing his character further. :)

5. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I did like the way he was introduced- having the connection. And I have to say I enjoyed Hostile takeover, it was entertaining and Jesse came across well, to me anyway. My problem was also that after those initial epis he was featured too much. It was a bit of an overload, and I dont feel that this dead wife thing has been written very well. mj- I agree, Id prefer for that storyline to be done with and then to actually see an intriguing storyline for Jesse.

6. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

I agree with everything you said Solitaire. That's what I was trying to say, but it didn't come out as well as it did when you said it. :lol: Other than that little detail he's great and I can't wait to see what they have in store for him. :)

7. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I've always liked Jesse and agree with the Bold. I'd rather that he was a family man with four children and how he balances that with a job as tough as the one he is doing but I guess family men aren't as cool as those with dead spouses to the CSI Miami crew

My guess for Jesse being over exposed is so that he wouldn't end up neglected and a second banana. However keeping him relevant has made the other characters second banana (Mostly Frank and Natalya)

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

9. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Next few seasons? Looks like the Delko/Duqense romance has some competition :lol:

10. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

What a shame if Donahue's right for a change.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Next few seasons? That doesn't sound right to me. Are we sure this isn't a typo and that it was really the "next few months"? I wouldn't think they'd know much of what they are planning for the next few seasons. They don't even know for sure if they will get picked up for more than one more season. :lol: I'm thinking it was a typo.

12. mjszud

mjszud Captain

With Donahue we never know --my only guess is that if it's true, then maybe there's more 'mystery' to Jesse than what we've seen so far (I mean, seriously, they still consider Natalia a mystery & it's been 5 years :rolleyes:). Doesn't necessarily have to mean it's this particular storyline that will drag out for several seasons, just him in general. I'd hope anyway, 'cause while I'm fine with him staying on, I don't want the dead spouse thing to keep going like the dang energizer bunny.

13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I'm seriously beginning to wonder who exactly has been at the helm for some time now. Did they believe that CSI Miami's powerhouse success meant that the show could take care of itself for the past several seasons. :brickwall:

If so, what a mistake. Like a garden, without constant care and nurturing it all goes to weeds. And that is the path CSI Miami has been taking for the last 3 seasons. And here we are with ratings plunging.

Who exactly is coming up with these storylines? Are the actors having too much personal input for their characters? Are TPTB hearing the audience complaints for the past 3 seasons? Are they just blowing it off thinking 8 or 9 seasons is a good run and who cares how CSI Miami goes down in television history? How sad.

I still believe that the addition of Jesse and Walter was a great idea. The show needed fresh blood and they needed to lighten up a little. They needed to re-establish a team. With Jesse, Walter and Ryan I felt an immediate connection. The feeling that these people were a team really began to take shape.

I do feel they made a mistake by focusing so much on Jesse in the beginning. I think it would have been easier on the audience if they had given him his big introduction episode and then allowed the "mystery" to be presented in a subtle manner that built and really peaked the audience curiosity. The importance of taking your time and slowly building has really been lost on tv these days. Everything is delivered at break-neck speed with a 2x4 between the eyes. :rolleyes:

They also should have known that acceptance of that character would be challenged by the pro-Eric/Rodriguez people, both before and after Rodriguez announced his departure and then his return.

Eddie Cibiran, besides being a good actor, is an exceptionally attractive and very sexy man. That was going to mean competition for Rodriguez. Greater care should have been taken to allow him to settle with the audience.

I think Jesse has great story potential - as does Natalia, Ryan, Frank and Walter. I think the current situation points to the importance that TPTB be very attentive to the audience and what they are accepting ... and not ... and to respond accordingly, and quickly when a storyline isn't working,.

14. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Yeah, it probably would have made the transition between the characters of old (seasons 2-5 ish) and new a lot more easy to swallow for some of the fans and allowed the actors to really get into the meat of their characters.

I liked the way Jesse was introduced (as I've said before, lol) but thinking back, I wouldn't have minded if they had drawn it out a little more at the beginning instead of throwing it all out there first and letting it stagnate for half the season (it really took a while to actually GET to 'L.A', in my eyes). That said, I guess I haven't really seen an inappropriate focus on him - I can see how others might - but then again, I find him much more interesting than some of the other characters.

My big issue with the character has been the dead spouse storyline. I would have actually preferred that Jesse had lost a child instead. Or perhaps that he was responsible for someone else's child and he/she was murdered in the process due to negligence or unavoidable circumstance. I think the dead spouse plot is tired and overplayed, so there's nothing really new to bring to it.

Eddie C. has done a great job with what he's been given but I'd like to see a little more grit to him. Not that I don't like the mystery, but there's only so long that works for a character before it's seen as lazy writing based on very little ideas running around in the writer's room. I'm hopeful that there will be more development aside from the dead spouse thing, lest it become the one-trick pony element for him.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  15. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I agree so much with this. When Cal asked Jess if it had to do with a woman and he said "yes, but not in the way you're thinking", I so wished he had a daughter and that the issue was him trying to get custody or that something had happened to her and he was seeking justice for it. A daughter would make a much bigger impact than a dead spouse.