"If I Had A Hammer…" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I enjoyed this episode too. It did have another good team effort on it. Catherine really did shine in this one, not giving up on her belief that the guy was a part of this in some way or another.

I also liked how they talked about the advances in Forensics since 1991 (that was a great year for me :lol: )and things they could find now.

The tree growing around the hammer was so cool. I just never thought something like that really would happen.

Really good episode!! :D

2. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I know, I think Brass should have his own advice column! Ann Landers has nothing on him..

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

[​IMG] THIS IS CSI, the show I love, fantastic episode the best one since 'One To Go' maybe better, Cath as her old self she was great:bolian:suspensful, intriguing, riveting, from the beginning till the end. and the whole team so supporting her in this old case. Boy has the little kid from "ET" grown up, [Henry Thomas] and a master manipulator, he was also great, good acting., All the team workng on the fingerprints, the hammer in the tree, the shoe print, Ray did good on that one. We even got Icky Ecklie.. How Nick came up with evidence, on the fingerprints, the piece of glass with old blood. thank's to Wendy. Hodges always the I'm so important, but he's good with the evidence and kissing up to Cath, at least she appreciated that. Question, do they really save evidence from a 20 yr. crime, and where on earth to they store it? Archie and Greg with the new hi-tech audio sounds. Brass as always knew it was him. I was doubting it, till the old girlfriend showed up, and we really saw what happend to the old man.. sad..:( I loved this episode CSI at it's best~ thanks writers:thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, they've not shown it much on CSI, but there's this big storehouse like place where they keep all the evidence. One box per case. I don't know if you watch Cold Case or not, but it's kind of like on there and they write the vic's name on the boxes I think.

5. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Yeah, I think we saw back in felonious monk, where Catherine checks out the evidence of Stephanie's murder, that Ecklie had finally signed off to destroy the evidence of the case as the convicted (presumed) killer was dead. I think they need to hang onto all of the evidence until that happens.

We've seen a few times where the CSIs go into the big evidence storage places to get new stuff (remember Nick with the dead mice in the boxes?)

6. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I thought it was pretty good, I liked that it was Catherine-centric. It was also kinda cool to see how technology has advanced.

7. GregNickRyanFan

I really liked how they showed the effect of the tree growing over the hammer. That just looked very cool.

8. Zelda

Zelda Hit and Run

I couldn't believe it was the cute little boy from ET! I knew I recognized the name from somewhere, and was surprised when I found out it was him.

I enjoyed this episode, because we saw them working together as a team on one case, rather than them being split into pairs.

9. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I loved this episode! It reminded of the CSI of old. Catherine has always been one of my favorite characters and I've been looking forward to this ep for some time.

Marg was great in it. The standoff scenes between her and Jeremy Kent were terrific. I loved the references to Eddie and Lindsey. It always nice to see certain characters are not forgotten. Her relationship with Brass is also very well played. I can see Cath, Brass and Grissom being old buddies from way back and its good that even with one gone, the others are still sticking together.

I was worried when the first scene with Greg had him with Archie again. Luckily he got to do other things. I love how Riley seems to be able to bring out a little of the old Greg. I also love how we still know nothing about her past. Keep the mystery alive!

I find myself watching Nick very closely. I'm trying to see if his face makes any sort of suggestion that he's in pain. Unfortunatly, it distracts me from what he's actually saying but on the good side he's a very good actor. I've been unable to find any such signs.:)

Ray is really good with Doc Robbins. Although I stll have trouble seeing him telling others what to do in the field, in the autopsy room I see him as being perfectly capable of running the show.

Overall, wonderful episode. The whole team was there and that made me very happy. I will also admit that I look forward to Marc Vann being in episodes. Ecklie has grown on me. If they can keep this up, I will be happy to continue watching for another nine seasons.

10. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

This is what I'm talking about!!! Loved It!!!! Catherine was just awesome to watch. I loved how she kept her ground when Kent was talking to her in the beginning. She really showed how confident and strong Cath is. I thought some of the ways the evidence was collected was a little farfetched like the year book having a picture of the car that showed the license plate, or the hammer on the tree and being able to collect the print, but if it was based on a real case then that's really cool!:cool:!! Overall great episode :thumbsup: A+

11. chickdr

chickdr Civilian

Hammer in tree

I thought the ep was decent, but there was a big hole in the ideology IMO. If they found the hammer 20yrs later, how could she possibly have missed it the first(and second time- as she said she looked the following day as well). Greg said the tree had grown ~10ft so it wasn't even close to being at/over the roof as it was in the episode. The hammer was also shown to have been quite external(ie the claw bit in the tree so the rest of the hammer would have been quite exposed). I find it hard to believe she would have missed the hammer because it certainly would have been much easier to find. Other than that I liked the episode.

I also found the husbands response pretty surprising. If he was a decent lawyer he would never have walked out on her like he did.

12. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Re: Hammer in tree

As she mentioned, she searched the neighbor's "yard" (meaning the ground), but never thought to "look up". She was suspecting that the weapon was thrown in the yard, so assumed it was probably on the ground. It was only when she was with Ray that she remembered Grissom's advice that "people never think to look up", then they searched the roof and tree.

think back to Brass' comment to him: Are you the husband or the lawyer right now? His walking out was basically saying that his mind was totally involved in being her jealous/hurt husband at that time, and not her lawyer.

13. GregNickRyanFan

I agree, kaylyne. :) If she'd had this case two years ago, she probably would have looked up, but 18 years ago she was new at the job and didn't think about it being in the tree.

As for the husband, I think his response was appropriate given the circumstances. He felt she'd lied to him all of this time. He was clearly upset. At that point he was no longer the lawyer, but the husband who had been lied to. I mean, it's not like he was getting paid to be her lawyer. :lol:

14. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Plus, it wasn't until Ray did that little jumping motion (when he was trying to explain the shoe impressions) that she put the idea of jumping/look up together. So, it was actually Ray that brought Grissom's words to her mind.

15. GregNickRyanFan

Yeah, that's true. And how funny was it when Ray did that little jumping motion. It totally looked like something Grissom would have done. :lol: