"If I Had A Hammer…" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 20, 2009.

1. byline

byline CSI Level One

Watched the episode again last night. Basically the piece of glass wedged itself down into the frame the passenger seat attaches to. Catherine didn't find it till she and Ray pulled out the car seats and dismantled the frame. As Catherine was pulling that piece apart, that's when she found the glass shard. So no amount of cleaning -- at least, not the way most of us do it -- would have turned up that piece of glass. They would've had to have dismantled the seats the way Catherine and Ray did.

Improbable? Sure. But sometimes you get lucky. ;)

By the way: It wasn't till I watched the episode a second time that I finally realized where I'd seen the actor who played Jeremy Kent. Without his name in the credits, I'm not sure I ever would've recognized him as the little boy from ET!

2. electra

electra Pathologist

There is nothing wrong in following your gut instincts and finding evidence to prove your case.It would have been different if Cat was trying to change the truth to her benefit.Now that's something to be fired.

One of the reasons I loved so much the dynamic between Grissom and catherine was how they complemented each other.She was "street smart" and he was "book smart" so the team was perfect.

I wish Grissom had used the same ethics for work when he decided to date a subordinate.

3. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

Thx for the explanation, byline, now it makes much more sense. I should've been watching more closely :)
    Well, it sure was improbable, first the hammer, then this glass but CSI's not the only show when suspension of disbelief is needed sometimes :lol: And after your post I can at least accept that it was possible for them to find this piece of glass :)

4. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

This reminds me a lot of Greg's proficiency back in Who Shot Sherlock, where Greg got the wrong guy and wrong manner of death. Grissom told him: "I don't expect you to be correct in all your interpretations all the time. You collected the evidence. You thought there was something missing, you went back and found it. Hey, that's the job."

That's very similar to this situation. Even though back then, all of the evidence wasn't found - the jury still convicted Kent. This time around, because of new technology (ALS finding the blood pattern of the hammer) there was more evidence, plus Catherine went back to the scene - and by sheer luck, found the hammer with bloody prints. And put together the full story.

Plus, you need to remember - as implausible as this story & evidence seemed to be - it WAS based on a true story.

5. Kohoutek

Kohoutek Prime Suspect

I loved this ep! As soon as me and the husband got past sitting there going <ET voice> ELLIOOOTTTTTT </ET voice> at each other, it was brilliant. I loved the team work, I loved Catherine doubting herself but her gut telling her she was right... It had an almost CSI:Miami feeling at the end with "Ha! Got you!" (Anyone noticed that Miami definitely has more of these utterly horrible criminals who think they're above the law until H shows them who's boss? Always leaves me flicking Vs at the TV)

I'm turning into a proper nerd though, pre-empting the evidence and stuff. I said to my husband "I bet the tree preserved the finger prints on the hammer... Oh look." :lol:

Anyway, yes, last week and this week were brilliant. Back on track guys! :thumbsup:

6. electra

electra Pathologist

^ Yep.I enjoy Miami but the villains(Clavo,Saris) think theat they are above all.And Later Super H saves the day.

7. Me_n_Marg

Me_n_Marg Hit and Run

Can anyone please tell me what was in the note to Catherine from the Doc at the end?

Please and thanks

MnM

8. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I think you're looking for the episode "The gone dead train" and not "if I had a hammer". The GDT discussion thread is here The answer to your question is listed in one of the replies there.

9. Me_n_Marg

Me_n_Marg Hit and Run

Kaylyne

Yes you are right. My bad. Thanks for the correct info.

I would love to go with her to that.

MnM