* I Heart Old Movies*

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by glam_chic86, Apr 27, 2007.

1. MacsLovlyAngl

MacsLovlyAngl Head of the Graveyard Shift

I have to agree, "Gone with the wind is a wonderful classic, I have all the classic's, another great one was "Showboat". Just last night, we watched "It's a wonderful life", again and it's such a heartwarming story, and you have to love Clarence the Angel.

2. shady

shady Hit and Run

I love 'Brief encounter', I don't like romantic movies or british ones either as a rule, but this one is not to overly sickly, just black and white, and very lovely!!!

3. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

I haven't watched a classic film on TCM in a while. Soon they'll be airing a bunch of Cary Grant films, which I'm really excited about. Cary Grant has to be my favourite classic film star, ever. What a man, & what an actor. So charming & so witty.

4. magicmunchies

magicmunchies Lab Technician

I've been watching a lot of the old classic musicals...

High Society (Frank Sinatra, Grace Kelly AND Bing Crosby)I just love it...but I still want to be a millionaire, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Sound of music, Dr Doolittle (Rex Harrison) on the subject of Rex Harrison My Fair Lady!

And National Vevlet! A very young Elizabeth Taylor!

I just love old movies!

5. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

High Society is one of my favorite classic movies too! I love Philadelphia Story as well. (HS is the musical version). I grew up watching Seven Brides... and The Sound of Music.

I love Errol Flynn-Olivia de Havilland films. But I've to say my favorite of the lot is Captain Blood. They had an amazing on screen chemistry.

6. TallyHo

TallyHo Coroner

Thank goodness there's a fair bit of those lovely black & whites out on DVD now.

LOVE "The Philadelphia Story" with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart & Katherine Hepburn".

Other favs include anything with William Powell and Myrna Loy so naturally I have all "The Thin Man" series. :) Others that stand out are "Libeled Lady" with Jean Harlowe, William Powell & Myrna Loy; "King Solomon's Mines" with Stewart Granger & Deborah Kerr; "Notorious" with Cary Grant & Ingrid Bergman; "To Catch a Thief" with Cary Grant & Grace Kelly; "Bringing Up Baby" with Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn; "The Birds" with Tippi Hedren & Rod Taylor.

Geez, I could go on and on.... :)

7. glam_chic86

You've just listed a majority of my favourite classic films. I too adore anything with William Powell & Myrna Loy as well. I loved all the Thin Man films as well. They were fantastic in Libeled Lady as well, & my favourite scene was when she proposed to him. So romantic. However, my favourite film of theirs has to be Double Wedding. Have you seen it? It's great because they don't love each other from the beginning so it's fun to watch their feelings build up.

Speaking of The Philadelphia Story, I watched it last night :D. It's one of those films that get better with each viewing. The cast was simply divine. One of the most remarkable scenes was Jimmy Stewart's character was drunk & he was with Cary's character in his house :lol:. You could see that Cary was trying not to laugh :lol:.

Bringing Up Baby is an absolute classic & so frigging hilarious :lol:. Cary & Katharine had such great chemistry together. There were a lot of witty scenes & lines. It was nice to see Cary portray a character who wasn't aware of how handsome & charming he is, as Cary is the epitome of charm & good looks. The scene were he was in the neligee/bathrobe(??) was classic! I never did like his fiancee(sp?) either. Too stuffy & Katharine's character brought out the fun in him.

Have you watched Arsenic & Old Lace. Although Cary regards it as his worst film ever, it's one of my favourites. The humour is lightning fast & at times obscure but nonetheless, it's one of those films where you will laugh till it hurts. Cary's character becomes so zany & dilusional as the film progresses so that alone makes the film fun to watch.

I also adored the two Grant & Hitchcock films that you mentioned, To Catch A Thief & Notorious. I thought Cary was fabulous with his two leading ladies. I'll admit that I got misty eyed at the end of Notorious, as I didn't know what to expect but just watching him pour his heart was great. It took him long enough :lol:.

I recommend any films by the three greatest directors ever:

Howard Hawkes
    Frank Capra
    Alfred Hitchcock

An element of Howard Hawkes films that I didn't notice until it was mentioned was that the female lead chases the male lead instead of the other way around. Just look at Bringing Up Baby with Susan perusing(sp) David.

8. magicmunchies

magicmunchies Lab Technician

Recently I got into the Ealing studios post war comedies like Kind hearts and coronets and the original Lady Killers.

I also love the old St Trinians movies, v. funny, Always enjoyable.

More on the musicals-The King and I. Yule Brennar and Deborah Kerr. I love Deborah Kerr. And Carousel, so sad but really lovely and lest not forget Oklahoma!

9. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I love Bringing Up Baby as well. It was so hilarious! :lol: Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn played off each other so well. Arsenic and Old Lace was so hilarious too. I didn't know Cary Grant thought it was his worst film ever. Thanks for that little tidbit. :)

Funny, magic, I was just listening to Oklahoma! on my iPod. :lol: Carousel made me cry! :lol: As for The King and I, I watched that growing up, over and over again! :lol:

And who could forget The Wizard of Oz. The first time I saw the film, I was around 4 (a long time ago!). It was the middle of the night, I was asleep in my parents' room and I woke up with The Wicked Witch of the West staring me in the face (My Mom was watching the video). I was so freaking scared! Talk about traumatic! :lol: But ever since that night, I got over my fear and have seen the film more than I could count. One of my favorites ever! :lol:

10. glam_chic86

^ No problem :). I too was surprised to hear Cary's opinion of his role in Arsenic & Old Lace. Supposedly he thought his performance was to over the top, but I thought it suited his character quite well.

Another Cary Grant gem is His Girl Friday. I'll admit that when I watched it, I didn't like very much, partly due to the hype that surronded(sp) it. When I watched it the second time, I actually loved it. I guess I missed a lot of the humour. It's highly regarded as the greatest screwball comedy ever with a lot of lightning fast dialogue. I thought Rosalind Russell was marvelous & really held her own comedic ground.

Speaking of Rosalind Russell, I suggest watching her in Auntie Mame. She was an absolute hoot :lol:.

11. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

[​IMG]
    Time to GO APE again. The AMC cable channel will be airing the classic version of Planet Of The Apes and it's four sequels on New Years Eve. The following times are Eastern, so check your local listings for time and channel.

Mon, Dec 31, 10:00 AM: Planet of the Apes (1968)
    Repeated at 8:00 PM
    Mon, Dec 31, 12:30 PM: Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
    Repeated at 10:30 PM
    Mon, Dec 31, 2:30 PM: Escape From the Planet of the Apes (1971)
    Repeated Tue, Jan 1, 12:30 AM
    Mon, Dec 31, 4:30 PM: Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)
    Repeated Tue, Jan 1, 2:30 AM
    Mon, Dec 31, 6:15 PM:Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)
    Repeated Tue, Jan 1, 4:15 AM

When the last one premiered in theaters, many theaters ran ALL 5 back to back for the regular admission price of just one film. I sat through the show. Of course, AMC will probably have commercial breaks, unlike their early years.

Meanwhile over on TCM, they have a marathon of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

Mon, Dec 31, 8:00 PM: The Gay Divorcee (1934)
    Mon, Dec 31, 10:00 PM: Shall We Dance (1937)
    Tue, Jan 1, 12:00 Midnight: Top Hat (1935)
    Tue, Jan 1, 1:45 AM: Swing Time (1936)
    Tue, Jan 1, 3:30 AM: Carefree (1938)
    Tue, Jan 1, 5:00 AM: Follow the Fleet (1936)

12. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

Mandy, loved Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Taylor and Newman.

Magic, also loved the original Lady Killers.

13. WolfeWhistle

WolfeWhistle Rookie

I'll admit that I'm not an old movie fanatic, but I'm definitely coming around. It's really nice to see movies from a time when cinema was a lot different (and in most cases, a lot better), and I'm beginning to watch more and more.

Now on to the part about my favorites:
    I adore Gene Kelly. Straight up. I'm a dancer myself, so he's someone who I've always looked up to. Signing in the Rain is amazing, of course, but my favorite of his is definitely An American in Paris, and it's one of my favorite movies ever.
    I also saw It's a Wonderful Life for the first time on Christmas Eve, and it's amazing! I could go on and on about how great it is (so if anyone wants to open a discussion about it, I'd be more than happy to join in ;)), and it's one of the most inspirational movies out there. Fantastic...

Anyway, I've been reading about all of your favorite movies, so now I'm mentally making a list of ones to see next.
    :)

14. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Glad to see someone else who loves the film. :) Did you know that Tennessee Williams didn't like the movie version since the homosexual overtones of Brick and Skipper's relationship were downplayed? Studio executives didn't think it was appropriate for the big screen.

15. ericloca

ericloca Lab Technician

Yup , I heart old movies too . I like Sound Of Music , Marry Poppins , Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang , Phantom Of The Opera , Gone with the wind and many other movies with my favorite actors Julie Andrews and Dick van Dyke .