* I Heart Old Movies*

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by glam_chic86, Apr 27, 2007.

1. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

I had to see a lot of old movies while I was studying (one of my subjects were Cinema History) so I learned to really love them. One of my favourites is Citizen Kane, I really recomend it to everybody, It's really fantastic.

2. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I think some of my favorite old movies are "The Thin Man" series, and most of Katharine Hepburn's movies. I also love the John Wayne movies - particularly those he made with Maureen O'Hara.

3. Rellaaaa

Rellaaaa Lab Technician

Yeh, the movie is pretty long, but so amazing to watch. :D I saw here a special DVD box at a store with 4 DVDs in it for 25 euro and I'm so getting that one day.

I need to see this movie again asap. :lol:

4. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

^ Ooh that's pretty cheap! A DVD like that would run for at least $40.00, if not more. I'll probably rent it this weekend, if Blockbuster has it in.

Today they released a special edition version of "To Catch A Thief" which kinda bummed me out. The reason why is because I purchased another copy not too long ago. Than again, the film itself has more value than the special features as I don't watch 'em over & over again.

If any of you are stuck on which films to see, I suggest consulting the various lists over on the AFI site. A lot of films covered are older ones which is nice.

5. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Everyone has already mentioned so many of my favorites!

Gene Kelly, love the man! A couple of my faves of his were "Brigadoon" and "American in Paris". Gregory Peck, the man was so handsome and stalwart, he was amazing in "To Kill a Mockingbird", "Horatio Hornblower" and "Cape Fear" (and of course, just about everything else he ever did) :)

James Dean is still a huge heart throb fave of mine, love everything he did. Cary Grant, once again you gotta love that man, a few of my faves of his were "North by Northwest", "To Catch a Thief" and the hilarious "Arsenic and Old Lace". I thought he was terrific at comedy, something the studio execs took a long time to "allow" him to do. And Dean Martin...I was fortunate enough to be able to meet him many years ago in southern California, and he was as sweet and gracious as he could possibly be, with me.

I love some of the old horror flicks/actors, too. Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney...and of course, IMO, no one beats Vincent Price for some good old fashioned campy spook stuff - with an impeccable accent, of course! :lol:

6. Rellaaaa

Rellaaaa Lab Technician

Other stores have it for 40 euro and some probably sell it for more. :eek: I got the box today and the movie is spread over 2 DVDs :eek: But I kinda expected that with this movie as it is very long. ;)

Oh, a other old movie I loved was 'The Biggest Bundle Of Them All' and I always watched it on TCM when we still had it on cable here. :(

I need to find this movie on DVD, but I don't think it has been released on DVD at all. :(

7. glam_chic86

Damn, this thread seriously needs to be brought up :eek:. To get it rolling again, I'll post an updated list of my favourite classic films:

It Happened One Night, On The Waterfront, Holiday, To Catch A Thief, An Affair To Remember, Charade, Breakfast At Tiffany's, The Philadelphia Story, To Have & Have Not, Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing, Rear Window, Easter Parade, The Tender Trap, Roman Holiday, Sabrina, His Girl Friday, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, A Touch Of Mink, Casablanca, The Swan, The Thin Man Series, The Big Sleep, Bell, Book & Candle, Little Women, Cover Girl, Guys & Dolls, High Society, My Fair Lady, Bringing Up Baby, Pat & Mike, Without Love, Adam's Rib, Houseboat, North By Northwest, To Steal A Million, On The Town, Monkey Business, They Drive By Night, Funny Face, Meet Me In St. Louis, The Awful Truth, Arsenic & Old Lace, My Favourite Wife, Only Angels Have Wings, The Talk Of The Town, A Stolen Life, Love Crazy, I Love You Again, Double Wedding, Libeled Lady, A Shop Around The Corner, My Man Godfrey, Some Like It Hot, The Seven Year Itch, Of Human Bondage, Stage Door, Bonnie & Clyde, Vivacious Lady, The Lady In The Lake, Gilda

How many of you have seen all, most, or some of the films I discussed? My personal favourite is Double Wedding, which features my all time favourite on screen couple & all time favourite actress, William Powell & Myrna Loy. It's a must see!

8. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I watched the Thin Man movies with Powell and Loy, but that was after I saw the TV series. Also liked Seven Year Itch. Marilyn's dress caught in the updraft was nicely recreated with Loni Anderson in Stroker Ace. Saw Breakfast At Tiffanys just a few years ago for the first time. Was already a fan of George Peppard (Banacek), Audrey Hepburn, Buddy Ebsen, Martin Balsam, and the music of Henry Mancini. Several other great films in your list. I still enjoy my DVDs of Abbot & Costello films and watch Marx Brothers on TMC channel.

9. glam_chic86

I watched "All About Eve" not too long ago & my lord, what a divine film! When I finished it, I was so in awe & admiration of Bette Davis. What a marvelous actress, woman & legend she was. Just amazing. I recommend "All About Eve" to everyone who has posted in this thread!

10. MacsLovlyAngl

MacsLovlyAngl Head of the Graveyard Shift

I watched the classic "Scrooge", last night, with Alister Simms, and I still get a kick near the end, when he wakes up, and dances the jig, all giddy like, and then when the maid comes in, and he stands on his head, and she screams. This classic film, will live on forever, and even my kids 19, and 9 enjoy it, and laugh.

If you have the chance, rewatch it, you'll see the humor in it, all over again.

11. shady

shady Hit and Run

I always like watching the original 'scrooge' over any of the other remakes. I've been watching alot of old movies lately shown on the TCM channel, don't ask me what ones as I am terrible at remembering titles! They are just perfect for when I'm feeling low and when its raining outside!!

12. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

I love All About Eve too. And Hitchcock movies - especially Dial M for Murder, Rear Window and Spellbound - Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman are equally beautiful.

13. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i know you guys are going like really old school, i only some movies here and there.

i'm more like a Mel Brooks-older- movie-type fan. i appreciate all kinds of movies and if i had the chance would watch some of the movies you guys are talking about.

my fave Mel Brooks movies are Young Frankenstein, Blazzing Saddles, and SpaceBalls.

one of my all time fave movies is the Court Jester with Danny Kaye and Angela Lansbury, always makes me feel better when i'm blue. Singin in the Rain is another really great movie. i saw Some Like It Hot a long time ago but loved that as well.

man i work in a video store i should own the last 2 movies and know about more of the older movies lol.

14. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I love old films and I would use to stay up so late to watch them on TCM. :lol:

I love Rear Window and Dial M for Murder as well. But my absolute favorite Hitchcock film is To Catch A Thief.

My absolute favorite Rock Hudson-Doris Day film is Pillow Talk. That one is such a riot! :lol:

I love Designing Woman. It starred Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall. It's a romantic comedy.

Has anybody here seen Cat On A Hot Tin Roof? Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman gave such powerful performances in theirs roles as Maggie and Brick.

Gosh, I could go on and on on my favorite old movies! :lol:

15. Sweet_Fantasy

Sweet_Fantasy Hit and Run

I love gone with the wind, I love all the movies like that. People were so classy and well spoken back then, I really admire that era...