* I Heart Old Movies*

glam_chic86

Head of the Graveyard Shift
Are you a fan of the classy Audrey Hepburn or charming Cary Grant? How about the spunky Katharine Hepburn or the all-American beauty, Grace Kelly? Or even the smooth vocals of Frank Sinatra & Judy Garland, or the dancing skills of Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly & Ginger Rogers? Do you think that Lauren Bacall & Humphrey Bogart have the greatest chemistry?

If so, you’ll probably love this thread. This is also a place for fellow TCM addicts, such as myself. So, feel free to discuss the legendary films, actors, actresses & directors from the early to mid 1900’s & have fun!

:D

I'm already loving this thread :D

I absolute love Gene Kelly :D His acting, dancing and singing made the movies he was in totally amazing. :) I absolute adore the dance he did in Singing In The Rain and this movie is till this day still one of my fave movies. :)

I also love Cary Grant and Dean Martin. :)

Dean Martin is fantastic too. Gotta love the Rat Pack!

Cary Grant is the epitome of charm, humour & good looks. He always manages to have great chemistry with whichever female lead he has, such as Audrey Hepburn in "Charade" or Katharine Hepburn in "The Philadelphia Story", which are two of my favourite films. He just had this great screen presence to him & there will never be another actor like him. He's a legend, icon & very, very handsome.

I've also been meaning to watching "Singing In The Rain". My local video store doesn't carry it so I'll have to buy it or catch it on TCM. I hear great things about it. As for other musicals, here are some I adore...

Pal Joey
The Tender Trap
Easter Parade
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

I'm sure there are many more...

For me, Laural and Hardy, the three stooges, I love Lucy. They'are all great Classics I love.

Also: Bud Abott and Lou Costello in Meet the Mummy, The Invisible Man, Hold that Ghost, God I love them all.

Also can't forget Shirley Temple Goodship Lollypop, Love that too. Sooooo many..

We unfortantly don't get the TCM here anymore, but we did some years ago and they were airing Singing In The Rain loads. I gotta say the DVD is better tho as there are amazing extra's on it. :D

I couldn't agree more with you on Dean Martin. :)

We've a store here in my city and that's like a dream with the amount of old movies the store has in the store. There's even tin boxes of Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, James Dean and a few more. I want some boxes but first I wanna wait for the price to go down a bit. :lol:

A few months ago, I bought a boxed set of some of Abbot and Costello's DVDs including a couple of my favorites, Hold That Ghost and Buck Privates. I grew up watching those films Saturday mornings on a local station in New York City. Other favorites are the Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone as Holmes and Nigel Green as Watson. Also liked the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Tyrone Power as Zorro (vs Rathbone), Errol Flynn as Robin Hood (vs Rathbone), the Thin Man series, and the Charlie Chan films (sort of an early CSI).

I'm not a real big fan of the older movies. My "old movie" addiction is mainly movies with Maureen O'Hara - like The Parent Trap and especially the five she did with John Wayne: The Quiet Man, McLintock, Rio Grande, Big Jake, & The Wings of Eagles

I also like a lot of Gena Rowlands movies - both the older & newer ones.

One of my all-time favorite older movies is The Philadelphia Story with Kate Hepburn.

I've also gotten a chance to see a number of older movies with Scott Wilson (CSI's Sam Braun) - The Grissom Gang, The Gypsy Moths, In cold blood are all great.

I really like this old movie i seen staring Charlie Chaplin, Modern Times, that was one of the best movies i see that is black and white and silent, okay it's the only movie i've seen that balck and white and silent, but if you guys haven't seen it you should really check it out.

MMMM, Tyrone Power..so handsome and charismatic. and charming and a great actor.. fav. movie 'The Razors Edge' with another old time actress Gene Tierney.. and any Burt Lancaster movie "Th Birdman Of Alcatraz" riveting true story.. and Rita Hayworth. "Gilda" and Susan Hayward, in "I Want To Live" another true story.. she was extrodinary! and gorgeous Lana Turner, in "The Postmans Always Rings Twice" a conniving wife.. who plans a murder with John Garfield,..fabulous actress..gosh, ~~clears cobwebs~~ I'll have to search my movies archives.. ;)

I'm just throwing out more old movies too

We can't forget Hitchcocks wonderfully crafted movies starring Grace Kelly, Rock Hudson, James Steward to name a few.
Gosh my friend would love this thread :D

Oooh, I'm a classic movie buff. I practically live on TCM. I love how they do a bit of history on the film, either with Ben Mankowitz or Robert Osborne, so you know something about it before you watch.

I personally cannot name my favorite movie. I'll watch just about any genre: from Chaplin establishing the Tramp in 'The Kid's Auto Race, to Fay Wray screaming in the jungle 'King Kong,' to Bogart giving Bergman away in 'Casablanca' and etc.

I was raised on these and you just cannot get that type of quality from film these days.

Dynamo1 said:
the Thin Man series

I adore the Thin Man series, especially the first film. The two leads are absolutely hilarious together & there are tons of scenes where I was laughing so hard.

hhunter said:
I'm just throwing out more old movies too

We can't forget Hitchcocks wonderfully crafted movies starring Grace Kelly, Rock Hudson, James Steward to name a few.

I totally agree! Hitchcock is one of the greatest directors of all time. The way he blends suspense, romance & action amazes me. One of my favourites is “Rear Window”. I also enjoyed, “Vertigo” & “North By Northwest”. He’s a legend & I love what he contributed to the film industry.

HoratioAndMe said:
I was raised on these and you just cannot get that type of quality from film these days.

That is so true! I rarely watch any new films these days because they generally follow the same formula, especially romantic comedies. Also, finding a quality actor & actress is hard too. There will never be another Hepburn, Grant, Bogart, Kelly etc. Their morals & talents are so different from those in the film industry today. It’s quite sad, especially since a lot of the legends are dead. To be around when these films were being produced would be really something. I’ll just have my TCM heehee.

I adore the Thin Man series, especially After the Thin Man. The scene in the beginning with Asta, Mrs. Asta, the puppies (all WFT and a random Scottie), and the adult Scottish Terrier (I think)....just too funny.

I don't know if this falls quite under the same category, but Young Frankenstein is a great movie, also. Inga is one of the funniest movie characters I have ever seen.

MMForbiddenDonut said:
I don't know if this falls quite under the same category, but Young Frankenstein is a great movie, also.
Released in 1974, I think it could qualify. It is older than many members on this board.

From TV Guide online new from yesterday:
In other stage news, Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein has booked its out-of-town, pre-Broadway tryout but as of yet has not announced a cast. The monster will run loose Aug. 4 through Sept. 1 at Seattle's Paramount Theater, says Variety, aiming to hit the Great White Way on (wait for it) Halloween.

I love gene Kelly. not that Ive seen that many of his movies but Singing in the rain is just , well Classic :)

and I love How to steel a million with Audrey Hepburn and Peter OToole

and the original Fanfan la Tulipe. Gerard Philipe was soooo handsome

Back