How do you feel about Lindsay?

PerfectAnomaly said:
JDonne said:
I don't see how they can possibly play it out properly when it hasn't been set up properly or in a way that appeals to the majority.

I've seen it stated or implied in a few threads that "the majority" doesn't like Lindsay or the idea of a D/L romance. I'm wondering who "the majority" includes? I'd also like to see any evidence which supports it's "the majority" who feel that way. I've been curious, so I thought I'd put it out there.

PerfectAnomaly, I believe the argument that "the majority" dislikes D/L shippers comes from the fact that when said shippers post their positive opinions, others go out of their way to rip those opinions to shreds and spout their vitriol ;). Personally, I'm not into the Danny-Flack ship, but you don't see me, or many other users, critically analyzing or harping on the negative aspects of that relationship. :rolleyes:

I also don't believe it's proper to focus on the stunted character maturation of Lindsay when Anna's working with what she's given. None of us are walking in her shoes, and I dare say we'd fall on our a** if we had to do what she did on a daily basis.

The negativity is pervasive throughout threads that it never used to reach, which is sad. It's sort of toxic at times. Just my opinion. :)

I believe the argument that "the majority" dislikes D/L shippers comes from the fact that when said shippers post their positive opinions, others go out of their way to rip those opinions to shreds and spout their vitriol.
I wouldn't say that the 'majority' likes or dislikes Lindsay or D/L, but I find it interesting that the majority of the long, thought-out, in-depth posts about why people feel the way they do are overwhelmingly by those who dislike Lindsay and D/L.

Personally, I'm not into the Danny-Flack ship, but you don't see me, or many other users, critically analyzing or harping on the negative aspects of that relationship.
Personally, I'm not aware of what D/F has to do with this conversation. And of course, there's that little fact that the writers aren't pursuing a D/F relationship on the show, which might also be to the dismay of some fans who don't like it. Even if someone is against D/F, or any other ship (with the exception of Mac/Peyton, of course), they don't have to watch something they dislike unfolding on the screen and, in their opinion, ruining the show. Besides which, not everybody who dislikes D/L likes D/F, so I'm quite tired of hearing 'but we don't talk mean about D/F!' on a regular basis.

The negativity is pervasive throughout threads that it never used to reach, which is sad. It's sort of toxic at times. Just my opinion.
Aye-aye-aye. *pinches the bridge of my nose* God forbid everyone doesn't just run around squealing about the amazingness of everything about the show and what a great job the writers are doing without putting any thought into things that they think could be improved. :rolleyes:

And really, can't people express the opposite opinion without resorting to implying that those with the opposing opinion are just mean?

I also don't believe it's proper to focus on the stunted character maturation of Lindsay when Anna's working with what she's given.
The stunted character maturation relates to the writers. The acting relates to Anna. If she's not writing and acting the role, then we aren't blaming her for the whole shebang when we criticize the character development. We only hold Anna accountable for the acting.

(By the way, smilie faces and winking faces don't change what's being said. Just my opinion. :))

PrettyEyes said:
I also don't believe it's proper to focus on the stunted character maturation of Lindsay when Anna's working with what she's given. None of us are walking in her shoes, and I dare say we'd fall on our a** if we had to do what she did on a daily basis.

We'd be fired if we've been preforming at the level she's preforming at, regardless of if it was in acting or not. She's miles behind the other actors, and while she is only partially responsible for the flop that is Lindsay Monroe, she's completely responsible for how the character is presented.

Her signature "Did that portobello mushroom just move" face doubles as her "I've just solved the case" face, "This building is about to explode" face and her "Before I go to testify against the man who used a shotgun to kill all my friends, I'm going to stare at my co-worker in an entirely unprofessional way" face. My baby cousin would be a better choice for the role, and she can't even speak.

PrettyEyes said:
I also don't believe it's proper to focus on the stunted character maturation of Lindsay when Anna's working with what she's given.

Yes, but it is the actor's or actresses responsabilty(sp) to take the lines they've been given & give it depth, emotions & believability(sp). Anyone can read lines off the script. If the actor or actress wants the audience to connect with the character they have to work harder & give the dialouge their own personal twist. Facial expressions & the change in the tone of a person's voice makes a big difference. If the person says every single line in a monotone voice with a frown it just won't sell. I need to be conviced that the character is angry, or sad, or happy etc. If producers don't look for that then hell, any of us can be an actor. She needs to take what she's given & develop it more on a wider scale, instead of sticking to what the script says.

PerfectAnomaly, I believe the argument that "the majority" dislikes D/L shippers comes from the fact that when said shippers post their positive opinions, others go out of their way to rip those opinions to shreds and spout their vitriol . . . . The negativity is pervasive throughout threads that it never used to reach, which is sad. It's sort of toxic at times. Just my opinion.

Whoa! Beep.Beep.Beep. That's the sound of me backing up the truck. I was asking about dislike of the fictional character Lindsay and the fictional storyline of Danny and Lindsay, who are fictional characters. I never even implied I was questioning how some posters feel about others. And JDonne gave me an answer that provided some's use of "the majority" context for me.

IMO, those who dislike D/L and/or L aren't ripping anyone's opinion. I think most go out of their way to not rip anyone, but to engage in healthy, thought out debate. Asking someone to expand on their opinion or disagreeing with them doesn't equal ripping and bashing - as several others have already stated.

Personally, I'm not into the Danny-Flack ship, but you don't see me, or many other users, critically analyzing or harping on the negative aspects of that relationship

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say when you talk about the Danny/Flack ship. I don't see any relation to the topic of Lindsay or my questions, however; I will say that Danny and Flack's relationship has been in the context of the actual show analyzed and criticized. The Danny/Flack "ship" has nothing to do with that.

Again, not related in any way, shape or form to my question; but since you directed the entirety of this post to me . . .

If this is a place devoted to CSI:NY, it's characters, actors and others associated; why is it not “fair” to criticize Lindsay or Anna? I haven't committed all of your posts to memory, but I'd hazard a guess that you've criticized at least something or someone related to the show at least once. Following your logic, that isn't "fair" either. In fact, following your logic means that everything on this board should be "Everything and everyone about or in CSI: NY is perfect," which is really boring and useless.

The preceding message was not intended to be personal in any way, because, hell - I don't know any of you people personally. If, however, you feel slighted, singled out, attacked or otherwise picked on please feel free to lighten the #$%@! up. Thank you.

ETA: Yeah, so uhhh . . . ditto on what Faylinn said. :) :p

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". And i guess that also pertains to how good/poor an actor seems to a person. I do not agree with the view that Anna's acting is far worse than the others. When i first tuned into season one, i thought Hawkes was stiff, Melina was copying Catherine, Aiden really awkward and Danny just plain boring. IMO, Mac was the show's only saving grace so I didn't really watch. I caught Anna as Linday in season two and found the character refreshing and while the acting wasn't award-nominating ala Gary Sinise, I thought decent and fine. And I still do. I really like Danny now (as opposed to before) , and Stella and Hawkes have grown on me. Aiden i still think while watching re-runs is awkward. But none (and yes I include Lindsay) are at Mac's level. I class Lindsay with the others on the same level.
Oh and incidentally, i work at the ME's office and you'd be surprised at how "unprofessional" everyone is. And so if you describe her as so, then her acting is more real than all the others.

PrettyEyes said:
PerfectAnomaly, I believe the argument that "the majority" dislikes D/L shippers comes from the fact that when said shippers post their positive opinions, others go out of their way to rip those opinions to shreds and spout their vitriol ;). Personally, I'm not into the Danny-Flack ship, but you don't see me, or many other users, critically analyzing or harping on the negative aspects of that relationship. :rolleyes:

The negativity is pervasive throughout threads that it never used to reach, which is sad. It's sort of toxic at times. Just my opinion. :)

If you can't accept that others have opinions that don't match yours, you shouldn't be posting in a discussion forum. Knock off the posting about other people in the forum and stick to the topic, or don't post here.

As for Anna's acting, there are plenty of actresses who can and do more with crap roles than she does. Lindsay isn't particularly well-written, but Anna's lack of skill only compounds it. "All Access" was a piece of crap episode, but Melina was brilliant in it. A good performer rises to the material and often above it.

audrina said:
I just have to pop back in that people need to keep in mind that this is a TV show, and that it will generate all sorts of differing opinions. No one is "right" or "wrong," and I would love it if we could all remember that, and stop getting offended just because someone disagrees with us.

Amen! :D

That said, I am sobbing in my beer. Because JDonne and Top disagreed with my ratings theory. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! :(

:lol: I would love to see an in depth ratings analysis by an expert about NY's ratings. I don't think they've changed all that much since midway through the first season, with a few notable spikes (like "Hung Out to Dry"). I haven't been charting them though, and I'm probably too lazy to go back and find all of the data. :lol: But I would be interested to see the results.

Just kidding. :D One of the reasons I come to this site is for the debate. It's a nice little break from sparring with my 3-year-old over whether or not he can watch Blue's Clues for the 500th time.

:lol: That's a lot of Blue's Clues! I love the debate, too. A good back and forth discussion is really fun and in my mind, the reason why this board exists!

I'm totally divided over Lindsay. I like her character totally fine when she is in the lab or testing the evidence, kind of in the background but put her in a scene where she has to interrogate a suspect or is the lead actor - it just doesn't seem to be very dramatic and kinda painful to watch. I dunno if she was a lab tech I could probably like her as a character and feel more towards her but just some of the episodes where she strops or pulls childish tantrums have just really turned me off her. In my own personal opinion I don't think the show would miss her that much if a) they cut her scenes or b) she was written out all together. I know he isan't going to be written out but who knows huh? I mean all the characters have shown no signs of missing her whilst she is home in Montana and we also have Danny back to his sparkling best. (From the psots I've read anyway).
I dunno maybe they will try and resurrect her character after her maternity leave but I have a feeling the trial scene could be painful to watch!!

As for Anna's acting, there are plenty of actresses who can and do more with crap roles than she does. Lindsay isn't particularly well-written, but Anna's lack of skill only compounds it. "All Access" was a piece of crap episode, but Melina was brilliant in it. A good performer rises to the material and often above it.
I'm certainly not gonna pretend that Anna is the best actrice I've ever seen. She's not. Not by far. But somehow Lindsay's character appeals to me and I think it has everything to do with the way Anna portrays her.

And I do believe that to a certain extent she has risen to the material she had to work with. When I compare season 2 Lindsay to season 3 Lindsay I do see a major difference. In 2 she is (although she's the 'new kid on the block') much happier and way more relaxed than that 'bitter' person who keeps much to herself we got to know in season 3.

*coming in late*
I am still in the deciding stage with Lindsay. I only recently started watching CSI: NY, so I am trying to give Anna/Lindsay a chance to show me what she has.
I do know that the majority of the time I spend watching the Lindsay character, I am cringing. It is painful to watch her at times, and I am hoping against hope that she brings some depth to the character. Her deliverance is flat and as many have said, Anna/Lindsay isn't up to par with the rest of the characters. I realize that the writers are trying to take some of the darkness from the show and give it some 'light', but when something doesn't work, it doesn't work. And so far (in my opinion), Lindsay doesn't work.
Of course, maybe she will come back and be flawless. Who knows?...

dutch_treat said:
And I do believe that to a certain extent she has risen to the material she had to work with. When I compare season 2 Lindsay to season 3 Lindsay I do see a major difference. In 2 she is (although she's the 'new kid on the block') much happier and way more relaxed than that 'bitter' person who keeps much to herself we got to know in season 3.

I think the bitterness is a lot of what's really unattractive about Lindsay. I wasn't a huge fan of her at any point, but midway through season two when she was light and funny I didn't really mind her. I think MichelleK makes a good point about Lindsay perhaps being better as a lab tech. If Anna were given scenes like Adam, I don't think she'd do as much with them as AJ does, but I think she'd be okay. It's all the emoting that she clearly can't handle that makes her unbearable.

Thanks Top41. I mean Lindsay knows her stuff in the lab and her little experiments are fun to watch but it just gets abit painful episode after episode watching her try to create chemistry and drama with each actor.

The lack of chemistry that Lindsay has with the rest of the cast is why I cringe everytime she is on the screen. It is past the point of no return for me, I simply can't bear to watch her altogether, I mute the television or try to ignore the scene until a new one is on. Her character, unfortunately hasn't been written well and Anna just isn't able to make Lindsay even the least bit paltable here.

One of my favorite displays of her lack of acting ability in a dramatic scene has to be from I think, 'Stealing Home' or 'All Access' where she is interrogating a suspect and her attempt at anger at the suspect is, unfortunately, laughable. I believe that I actually did laugh- because she was just unable to pull it off. I truly believe that she probably does her best work on the stage.

Now before any naysayers come in and tell me that I am being mean, I am not- just my obeservation on what I saw. This is supposed to be her craft- acting, and what she does best, so as an actor she should be able to convince me that she is upset and angry at the suspect and make me angry at him as well.

^She does lack chemistry with the cast, a true travesty in a cast as charasmatic and talented as this one is. The only one she sparks with is Gary, and I'm convinced that's because Gary is so great that he is somehow able to get her best work out of her.

The scene in "All Access" was ridiculous on so many levels--Anna's forced and unnatural delivery; the idea that Lindsay, who seemed to have no bond with Stella, would be the one to lose her cool and not Drama Queen Danny; that it was out of character up to that point.

Top41 said:
^She does lack chemistry with the cast, a true travesty in a cast as charasmatic and talented as this one is. The only one she sparks with is Gary, and I'm convinced that's because Gary is so great that he is somehow able to get her best work out of her.

The scene in "All Access" was ridiculous on so many levels--Anna's forced and unnatural delivery; the idea that Lindsay, who seemed to have no bond with Stella, would be the one to lose her cool and not Drama Queen Danny; that it was out of character up to that point.

The problem, I think we discussed at the time, was that they didn't seem to now what the hell Lindsay needed to be, and the writers seemed to be throwing the character round all over the place in order to make viewers like her. She's fresh and new! She's light and fluffy! She's tough and dependable! She's emotional and mean! Oh, and did we mention she has JAWSOME chemistry with Danny?!

Unfortunately, a certain percentage of viewers don't like being told how we should feel about a character, me included. Had they had a set plan for Lindsay and stuck to it, we could have formed our own opinions. I think mine would still be "aha, Lindsay's on, let's go make a cup of tea", but I'd at least know how much is shoddy acting and how much is shoddy writing.

Back