How do you feel about Lindsay?

I like Lindsay. She's not my absolute favourite but I do like her. Maybe sometimes she's not as strong as the other characters, and I'm sure people will reply to this and say "Sometimes?" and all that jazz but it doesn't matter to me. Everyone has a different opinon, that's what makes the world go round :) I still watch and enjoy the show, be Lindsay in a scene or not. What's a show without some romance? Ok so maybe it's been dragging on for a while now, and I admit I wish her and Danny will get together soon, but as long as the writers play it out properly I'm good. I hope when she gets back from Montana she will have put her past behind her and move on...hopefully with Danny *crosses fingers* Whatever floats your boat :cool:

but as long as the writers play it out properly I'm good

...which is rather the crux of the thing, is it not? Sadly I'm not quite so optimistic about them actually managing that, considering how they've dealt with things up til now.

dl_shipper34 said:
What's a show without some romance?

Well, in the case of CSI: NY that would be season one and that would be quality programming, a character driven show that thrives on the team dynamic and the intricacies of the individual characters. That is what a show without some romance would be, even better in this case since is is such a poorly written romance, I use the word romance in the silliest and most juvenile sense by the way.

but as long as the writers play it out properly

I don't see how they can possibly play it out properly when it hasn't been set up properly or in a way that appeals to the majority. I for one know I'm not sitting around going the D/L crap is so bleeping awful therefore please give me more it will make the show that much better. If something is bad, shouldn’t it be removed rather than brought to finality? Removed with bleach, ammonia, and a knife if necessary, not everything can be saved, more importantly not everything deserves to be saved. I've stained clothing and done my best to remove the offensive mark and when that failed I simply put it in the trash, the writers should learn to do the same. Why would we encourage the solidification of something that has been so poorly executed? Are the writers suddenly going to make great strides in their ability to write scenes that convince rather than annoy? Will Carmine stop seeming lifeless during his scenes with Lindsay? Will Anna'a acting suddenly cease being wooden and frigid? That is a great deal to overcome just to get to a properly played out conclusion. Unless Jesus and Shakespeare have both taken up residence at the writers' table the possibility of what you are talking about happening are somewhere between the top and bottom levels of hell.

The fact that the Danny/Lindsay pairing always comes up shows me that it can't be disintangled from the character. This pairing is really all there is to Lindsay, other than the dark secret that proved once and for all that Anna couldn't act. A main character whose only purpose is to be part of a romance (and a shoddy one at that) has no business being in the opening credits. Peyton has more of a purpose than that, and she is a romantic interest character.

JDonne said:
I don't see how they can possibly play it out properly when it hasn't been set up properly or in a way that appeals to the majority.

I've seen it stated or implied in a few threads that "the majority" doesn't like Lindsay or the idea of a D/L romance. I'm wondering who "the majority" includes? I'd also like to see any evidence which supports it's "the majority" who feel that way. I've been curious, so I thought I'd put it out there.

^ I think the phrasing derives from the notion that Lindsay and subsequently D/L stand as divisive aspects of the show. There is no clear majority that supports the character or the pairing and the converse is true, there is no clear majority that does not support the character and pairing. As far as, say scientific and statistical data that shows a 50-50 or 60-40 split, well that simply does not exist. However, if you had been around say a year ago you would have witnessed the contentious spirit both the character and pairing drew and continue to draw. The simple fact is the idea and storyline have not proved the smash success the writers and show runners intended. It isn't likely that the writers intended to write a main character that incites such animosity among some of the shows more voracious viewers, more voracious and invested being those that post on message boards.

I believe that the volumes of discussion - positive and negative - about Lindsay and her interection with Danny may actually encourage the writers of CSI NY in their endeavors. She has definitely sparked lots of discussion - there is an adage that any publicity is good publicity and I guess I can kind of apply that here. The writers may view that any character/storyline that inspires this much discussion - on either side - can't be a bad thing. Also, keep in mind that CSI NY is doing well in the ratings, consistently winning its time slot. TPTB will likely look at that and say, "Well, we must be doing something right." SO personally, I'm not looking for Lindsay to go anywhere.

JDonne said:
^ I think the phrasing derives from the notion that Lindsay and subsequently D/L stand as divisive aspects of the show. There is no clear majority that supports the character or the pairing and the converse is true, there is no clear majority that does not support the character and pairing. As far as, say scientific and statistical data that shows a 50-50 or 60-40 split, well that simply does not exist. However, if you had been around say a year ago you would have witnessed the contentious spirit both the character and pairing drew and continue to draw. The simple fact is the idea and storyline have not proved the smash success the writers and show runners intended. It isn't likely that the writers intended to write a main character that incites such animosity among some of the shows more voracious viewers, more voracious and invested being those that post on message boards.

Thanks for that answer, I appreciate it. The references I've seen to "the majority" have been vague, so I wanted to make sure I understood the context before I made any assumptions and put my foot in my mouth. :)

^You're welcome. :)

I doubt you'd put your foot in your mouth and even if you did truth can often be found in those moments.

There is no way to tell the "majority".

You can't tell what the majority thinks based on message boards. All of my friends watch the show and I am the only one who goes online to discuss it.

Others write letters to express their feelings and many don't even do that.

Others just simply watch the show, have their views on characters/couples and and keep it to themselves.

I think in the end it comes down to what the writers themselves want to do..

anyways I like Lindsay. A lot.

Unless Jesus and Shakespeare have both taken up residence at the writers' table the possibility of what you are talking about happening are somewhere between the top and bottom levels of hell.

I respect everyone's opinion on here, and I'm not saying your own thoughts are wrong because they're not. Just because our opinions are different doesn't give you the right to bash mine.

dl_shipper34 said:
Unless Jesus and Shakespeare have both taken up residence at the writers' table the possibility of what you are talking about happening are somewhere between the top and bottom levels of hell.

I respect everyone's opinion on here, and I'm not saying your own thoughts are wrong because they're not. Just because our opinions are different doesn't give you the right to bash mine.

Why isn't there a sighing smiley?

Honest to goodness, no matter how much things change they stay the same with the accusations of bashing being hurled around the board when you offer up your opinion phrased in a way that isn’t shrouded in rainbows, unicorns, and lollipops. I don't consider calling someone's opinion a bash against your person respect of any kind. I'm not apologizing for my opinion or the way I stated my opinion other than to say my countering your opinion with words you perceived as harsh is not bashing. I didn't call you or your mother names, you offered up an opinion on the state of D/L and the writers capabilities, I disagreed and I disagreed strongly if you want to counter my opinion then by all means do so but don’t sit around falsely accusing me of personally attacking you. It isn't personal and in fact, my opinion has nothing to do with you, I don't know you, I know the words you typed in the thread, I disagreed with them and I still disagree with them.

Now, getting the thread back on track after my discourse I'll say that I hope the writers’ attempts to continue forcing Danny and Lindsay scenes into every show ceases because Anna kills the force and intensity Carmine brings to his performances. It has been a delight to watch Carmine in these last few episodes, it has been a return to the magnetic Danny of old.

I would also say I don't necessarily agree that all publicity is good publicity, just ask Britney Spears. There are in fact things that people and programs cannot overcome, Lindsay's continued presence is a one of those things in my mind. Though, if we are going with old sayings I’d add to the list never say never.

As far as the ratings are concerned, I highly doubt that vast numbers of people are simply going to stop watching the show because of one person when the rest of the cast is so talented. I think there is a false logic in attributing ratings consistency with the contention over Lindsay's character. I'd be greatly surprised if the two were at all related and feel the natural growth experienced by many hit programs is a better explanation. I think the writers do learn a good deal from the discussions they read in some of the threads and perhaps even take some of the notions back to the table with them. However, I don’t think they are pleased by some viewers’ assertions that their writing is shoddy where Lindsay is concerned nor do I think the show runners are excited to hear that some of us think one of the stars of their show is a bad actress. I'm sure though they are pleased that some enjoy their attempts and possible pairings.

JDonne beat me to it, but countering an opinion does not equate to bashing. This forum is here for debate. If she said "only freaks like Danny and Lindsay together," that would be bashing. But expressing a contrary opinion is not. Hope that clears things up.

JDonne said:
Now, getting the thread back on track after my discourse I'll say that I hope the writers’ attempts to continue forcing Danny and Lindsay scenes into every show ceases because Anna kills the force and intensity Carmine brings to his performances. It has been a delight to watch Carmine in these last few episodes, it has been a return to the magnetic Danny of old.

It really is amazing how different his acting is in the scenes with Lindsay versus when she's not around. Anna literally drags him down--he practically wilts in Lindsay's presence. Whereas without her hampering him, he is vibrant, lively, energized--everything that makes Danny a unique and fascinating character to watch.

As far as the ratings are concerned, I highly doubt that vast numbers of people are simply going to stop watching the show because of one person when the rest of the cast is so talented. I think there is a false logic in attributing ratings consistency with the contention over Lindsay's character. I'd be greatly surprised if the two were at all related and feel the natural growth experienced by many hit programs is a better explanation. I think the writers do learn a good deal from the discussions they read in some of the threads and perhaps even take some of the notions back to the table with them. However, I don’t think they are pleased by some viewers’ assertions that their writing is shoddy where Lindsay is concerned nor do I think the show runners are excited to hear that some of us think one of the stars of their show is a bad actress. I'm sure though they are pleased that some enjoy their attempts and possible pairings.

As others have said, Lindsay wasn't introduced to be a controversial character. If she had been, I'd say perhaps she's serving her purpose. Think Rosalind Shays on LA Law or JR Ewing on Dallas--these are characters you love to hate. It's hard to enjoy hating a scrunch-faced character who isn't even convincingly portrayed. She's an annoyance, a gadfly on the show. Like a buzzing insect, she irritated every time she appears. I don't see how dislike for her could be good for the show in any way.

The ratings reflect natural show growth in my opinion and nothing more. I doubt Lindsay has had any effect on them whatsoever. Beyond natural growth, stunt casting (Kid Rock, Edward Furlong) and character-driven stories (Tanglewood; Run Silent, Run Deep; All Access) seem to affect the ratings in a positive manner. I don't think Lindsay has helped or hurt the ratings, and I think if she were written off tomorrow, the ratings wouldn't be affected at all. Any viewers that left would be replaced by old viewers coming back now that she's gone--and the numbers for both groups would no doubt be small. That likely in part explains why Lindsay hasn't been booted--she carries no weight either way.

I just have to pop back in that people need to keep in mind that this is a TV show, and that it will generate all sorts of differing opinions. No one is "right" or "wrong," and I would love it if we could all remember that, and stop getting offended just because someone disagrees with us.

That said, I am sobbing in my beer. Because JDonne and Top disagreed with my ratings theory. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! :(

Just kidding. :D One of the reasons I come to this site is for the debate. It's a nice little break from sparring with my 3-year-old over whether or not he can watch Blue's Clues for the 500th time.

Back