How do you feel about Lindsay?

cuz i love you all..and i dont wanna make you mad..wow..serious moment there
*hugs Allie* Aw, I loves you too. ;)

How could the writers have a definate idea of Lindsay when they couldn't even stick with the original name?? Her name was originally supposed to be Summer. What happened to that?
Well, do we know the circumstances under which they changed the name? It's possible that they could have changed it before they looked for an actress, or else they decided that they'd rather have Anna and change the character than to look for a different actress to play "Summer." *shrug* It's a curious question, I have to admit...

It's entirely possible that they'll drop the 'dark, devastating secret' that they've mentioned before, or they could pull a Danny/Tanglewood thing and take the safe route that will just disappoint the fans, but you never know when they'll pull something interesting out of their bag of tricks. ;)

Anyway, Season 2 Lindsay I didn't particularly like, but I'm crossing my fingers that Season 3 Lindsay will be better. :)

Faylinn said:
cuz i love you all..and i dont wanna make you mad..wow..serious moment there

Well, do we know the circumstances under which they changed the name? It's possible that they could have changed it before they looked for an actress, or else they decided that they'd rather have Anna and change the character than to look for a different actress to play "Summer." *shrug* It's a curious question, I have to admit...

allie, don't be afraid to post how you feel about Lindsay. We're all friendly people here and hope you will feel free to post how you feel. ;)

Fay, that's what I was trying to get at and you did a better job with it than I did. ;) Maybe the wanted Anna and she didn't fit the Summer profile so they changed her name, background, etc. I'm sure that's happened before on other shows. Sometimes they find an actress to fit their profile they like and sometimes they find an actress they like and make their profile from that. I think the latter would be easier to do.

^No drama here, just opinions--and please do express yours. The intention of the forum is for friendly discussion and debate. :)

Celefinwe, you bring up an interesting point! Anna did her best work mid-season when she was given the lighter stuff to deal with, and that makes me wonder why they didn't stick with the lighter Lindsay. Maybe they gave Anna time to feel comfortable and then tried out the heavier stuff? It's going to be hard to give her a dark secret if she can't handle the more intense scenes. It wouldn't be a bad thing if they dropped that, and went back to the lighter version of the character. The one that screams at people and stomps out of interrogations isn't really working.

Maybe the wanted Anna and she didn't fit the Summer profile so they changed her name, background, etc. I'm sure that's happened before on other shows.

That happens all the time. Years ago on ER, they were trying to cast a resident who was going to have a Norwegian or Swedish name/background. Erik Palladino got the job, so they had to change things around to fit him.

It happens.

I totally agree with you, Top. Lindsay was almost bearable in Stuck on You and Fare Game. She deals best with those kind of scenes. They should stick here with what works best. I haven't see interrogation!Lindsay yet but from what I've heard, it's going to be painful to watch :rolleyes:

The interrogation stuff is bad, Lindsay at her almost worst (the screaming is worse). It's weird because she actually didn't do badly in interrogation scenes earlier on--she was fine in "Cool Hunter" and even "Dancing with the Fishes." But "Live or Let Die" marked a turn and she totally lost her cool--and handle on the scenes.

There's a right way to lose your and cool and apparently there's a wrong way too. Danny looses his cool all the time but far from disliking his character for it, we heap praises and discuss the multi-dimension of his character depth. Maybe it's not the character themselves but rather the actor, or in this case, the actress? Maybe it's just that Anna lacks the skill to carry out the scenes? I mean, aren't the scenes the result of the actresses' intepretation of the script? i mean, I could be wrong, but Carmine said that for RSRD, he had discussed the script with the director and finally decided to have Danny cry during the scene with Mac. That shows that the actors have a say on how the scenes are carried out. It might be Anna's intepretation that screaming is part of an interrogation * shrug *

I was just over in The Lindsay Must Go Board, heard talk about a poll and decided to bring this topic back. I have to say that my opinion hasn't changed.

I was just reading back through the posts to see when I first commented about this. I see it was back in July 2006. I must say that my opinion hasn't really changed and after the way Season 3 has turned out so far, it's not getting any better.

When Lindsay first appeared in Zoo York, she was tolerable. I loved watching Danny break in the new girl. Even for a few episodes she was actually likeable. Bad Beat and Stuck on You are the two episodes that stick out in my mind. Then WTF happened? Why did TPTB feel the need to try to change the character? Were they setting things up to reveal her secret? They turned her into a psycho freak.

Spazzing out during an interrogation, refusing to talk to a mother of a murder victim (it's your job Lindsay, suck it up and just do it) and making Danny do it. Poor Danny getting slapped by the mother and Lindsay doesn't even apologize to him. Getting a little scratch on her head in CoTP and then whining until Danny gave her a ride home. Standing Danny up instead of just cancelling the date. Trying to avoid him and not giving him a reason for standing him up. Telling him that it's not him..it's her (classic i-don't-want-to-date-you line). Telling him she likes him a lot. Is she 12?? Telling him they should just do their jobs. Walking off when he tells her he's there if she needs to talk (stupid on his part) and ignoring him. Fleeing a crime scene with no indication why. Breaking down in the morgue (pitiful job at crying). Telling Mac and Stella that she has to go to Montana to testify and showing no emotion at all. Leaving Danny a note instead of telling him to his face.

I'm sure there's more I missed but the character just drives me crazy.

I agree with what you posted, 1CSIMfan. Lindsay's seriously a waste of space and takes away from development the other, more interesting characters could have.

My feelings on Lindsay have not changed since my first post in this thread. She is still a soulless character that lacks both purpose and presence. She has vacillated between annoying and unbearable, however it is now mostly the latter.

I like Lindsay. Her character and storylines are what brought me BACK to the show as the 1st season did not interest me much.

This might seem slightly random, but it's just something I've noticed.

I think a lot of people use Lindsay as some sort of symbol for the change from season 1 to season 2, beyond just the character herself. If someone disliked season 1 and liked season 2, they ascribe this to Lindsay's addition to the show. Similarly, for for some people who loved season 1 and felt that season 2 (and now season 3 as well) was lacking something, there is a tendency to put some extra blame on Lindsay herself for the changes--when she was only one of many changes the writers made. But I think it's more people who like Lindsay that do this, saying that they liked season 2 more because of her. Of course, I also see the 'season 1 was too dark' comment added on much of the time, which just makes me roll my eyes since looking at the first season from about episode 10 on makes it obvious that the 'lighten up' order had already been put into action. Season 2 had the yellow high-rise lab and the casual dress code going on, but the show itself wasn't 'dark' in season 1 beyond the initial blue-hued episodes. Season 2 (and now season 3) had a more high-class feel to it, with all of the rich people dying and being suspects, etc. Season 1 had a more diverse feel with the cases, that 'gritty reality' that's been mentioned before. I think that people preferring one season over the other has to do with the change as a whole--and it has little or nothing to do with Lindsay herself. ;)

So, that's not to say that anybody who likes/dislikes Lindsay does so only because of the changes made to season 2, but I just thought I'd mention that, since I've noticed it pretty often. ;)

Now, that being said, back to the matter at hand. ;)

I think I've basically given up on the idea of the writers making Lindsay a character that I'll actually like. I've resigned myself to hoping they'll make her a character that I won't openly dislike.

And, of course, I'm crossing my fingers that the writers won't blow the whole show to shit by the end of season 3, but that's just a bad sign overall. They created a show that I love, and now the fact that I love it is probably my only reason for not losing interest. And Lindsay isn't helping things. If anything, she's making it worse. Personally, her storyline isn't doing anything for me, it's being executed horribly, and it makes the whole show look like it was written last-minute.

Personally speaking if you mean by little that Lindsay was easily at least 50 percent of what I hated about Season 2 then you would be correct.:lol: The Lindsay issue was not simply a symptom of a larger problem with Season 2, but the catalyst for shoddy writing and unfaithfulness to the characters as they were in Season 1. The writers seemingly stretched the show’s established fabric to accommodate the new girl and all the weaknesses that Lindsay and her portrayer brought to every episode. So, I actually do think that many of the changes where characterization are concerned are a direct result of Lindsay’s addition. Unfortunately, her portrayer was not up to the task, she was incapable of shouldering these changes and though the writers’ Sybil-like treatment of her character didn’t help, an attempt at effectively portraying any of her incarnations was met with failure.

I think she was the character that was supposed to move us beyond the dark and gritty New York ideal by bringing someone or something in that was fresh as sunshine, sadly she turned out as stale and moldy as three week old bread. There were other changes in Season 2 that I found inconsequential, such as moving into a high rise, taking away Mac’s tie to connote a lighter brighter happier Mac, even more cleavage on Stella to ratchet the sex appeal, serving Danny’s character up as a sexual buffet, and even moving Flack away from his New York street cop wardrobe into a Barney’s New York wardrobe, but these changes were mostly irrelevant as far as I’m concerned.

Season 3 is by far better than Season 2, but the problems with Lindsay persist and her burrowing damage to established characters persists. Season 3 has seen a middling of the two seasons it seems, from what I’ve seen it is not as bright as Season 2 but not nearly as gritty as Season 1, but the inanity of Lindsay endures which leads me to believe that she is a big problem and not at all a small problem. A problem because the writers continue to use other characters to hold her up while throwing those same characters to the wolves and the fires of Hell, which in turn leads some viewers to question what the hell are they thinking and where the hell is that man or woman that intrigues me. Her solitary divisiveness to the online fan base is another sign that she is a large problem not an inconsequential problem. I agree the issues with Lindsay go beyond a simple preference for Season 1 or Season 2, but a great deal of the ineffective scenes, poorly written scenes, and shattered characterizations can be attributed directly to her arrival. That doesn’t mean her departure would be a cure for what ails NY, to a lesser degree this season, but it would allow for a course correction a veritable halt to the undermining of beloved characters and a chance for the writers to stop working so hard to redeem and endear a character to half their viewing audience when the result will only be further alienation.

They need to spend their time writing for the show as a whole and not breaking their backs to weave Lindsay’s story into one viewers will care about, because, honestly, the only old viewers that will love her are those that already do. It is far easier to create a schism than to erase one.

Back