Grissom & Sara #31 : Yes. Let's Do It.

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by Turtlebaby, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zappy

zappy Hit and Run

Re: Grissom & Sara #31 :TBA

everone i know realy likes Jorja/Sara my sister. and even my brother's an all their mates they call her the hippy chick

2. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Copied from the 8x04 thread:

I have to say, I loved the episode all around. I really did. Of course, I had a blast with the Gil/Sara proposal, though the end made me cringe.

Please, allow me to explain: I think there are a million and one layers to this scene. Two pointed out by others that I will address because I like them are the fact that Sara's in white, and the comparison to "Butterflied" with Gil touching Sara's bare hands rather than there being a barrier between them of latex.

But, I'll start from the top. I just wanted to make sure I gave credit for those two observations to the rightful people! I don't remember their names at the moment, but I want to make sure you know they werne't me! I'm just expanding on them, if you will.

I love that Sara came in to see Gil, coming inside his world. I know that sounds goofy, but there's always been a lot of symbolism between these two and doorways. At the end of "Play with Fire," Sara stood in the doorway of his office, trying to reach out to him, to get through to him, and he turned down her dinner invitation, stating he didn't know what to do about "this." In season 5, in "Nesting Dolls," he finally crossed her doorway into her world for the first time. We've seen them in each other's homes now, with Sara walking through the doorway at the end of "Way to Go," but this moment is special.

He's a bug guy. He's never excluded Sara from his obsession. He even gave her a book on the subject for Christmas one year, as we learned in "XX." He even sent her a bug, for goodness sake! But, here, she's entering his world, and there's no resistance. She steps in, dressed from head to toe, and he calls out to her. They play, they joke. Before getting down to talking, they exchange a hello that's specialized and personalized, and all their own for that moment.

She's honestly interested in what he's doing, and she wants to learn, and she wants to be a part of his life in this way, and he welcomes her in, inviting her to take off the glove. She comments that she trusts him. I noticed this immediately, and it can be seen as a throwback to the shaving scene, when Sara asked Gil if he trusted her. He answered, "Intimately." I think she trusts him the same way. At first, she seems leery of taking off the glove, but she exposes her good hand to the bees, and he can't help but be proud and filled with joy as he watches her watching the bee on her hand.

It's like watching someone discover something new, and you were hoping they'd like it, and they did. For me and my husband, it was "The Court Jester." There was a particular moment in the movie that I about died at. I just couldn't stop laughing when it happened, and my husband's face swelled with pride as he smiled at me, laughing with me. At the time, I thought nothing of it, but he later told me that he knew if I liked that moment, I was the girl for him. It was two years into our relationship, and it was wonderful.

I feel like this was Gil's "Court Jester" moment. He just looked at her experiencing something he'd hoped she would like, and he saw her enjoying it. There was just a click in his head as he looked, first at her hand, then at her radiant face regarding the creature crawling across her skin. He purses his lips and considers the thought that entered his brain.

In the past, he would have put the stops on that thought, would have held it inside, would have kept it from entering the audible world for fear of the reaction, and I do think that he's afraid. But, he's grown. He's changed. For better or worse, he's adapted. He almost lost her at the begininng of the season. He almost lost every chance to talk to her and tell her how he felt, so I think he's not holding back nearly as much as he once would have. He puts it out there, and she just looks at him, her face filled with shock and amazement.

Her pulse quickens as adrenaline rushes through her, and the bee freaks. Gil apologizes, recognizing that her body change was due to his proposal. He busies himself taking care of her...

Taking care of her. That struck me so hard the first time I watched this scene. He's standing there taking care of her.

Yes, he's holding her hand, an obvious juxtaposition to the latex gloves comment of "Butterflied." But, more than that, to me, he's taking care of her. He's cradling her hand.

See, on her own, she'd try to pick it out, like she's tried, in the past, to pick out what she didn't like. She'd try it on her own, to pull whatever horrible thing in her past was crawling in her skin away. But, she'd inadvertently release the venom into her bloodstream, causing her even more pain. In this moment, Gil's holding her hand. She's not alone. Not only that, he's the one taking care of the pain, taking care of the thing she wants to cast out.

It's her job only to be still and to trust, and he doesn't betray that trust. He coaxes the offending thorn/stinger out of her skin. He gets caught up in the moment, worried about her, but his thoughts return to the proposal.

Sara's mind never left it. She giggles when she's stung, as if proclaiming, "Silly me! You propose and I freak out and get stung!" Then, it's that moment, which I remember clearly from my husband's proposal of, "He's serious." She watches him, blinking rapidly, her brain going through a thousand moments and days, the good and the bad, and she's staring at this man, here, and he's holding her hand, and he's caring for her, and he's showing love the best way he knows how.

Any other woman might laugh at the proposal, pass it off as idle words, but Sara's been through it all with Gil. She knows how guarded he can be, and how he tries not to say things without thinking them through, without understanding the implications of what's coming out of his mouth. We've rarely seen him lose his cool, but when he does, he really loses it.

In this moment, he's saying what he feels, and after the sting, he's afraid of what she'll say. He's petrified that he's put himself on the line and she's going to reject him. Though he's come a long way since "Butterflied," the lingering fear remains that it's all temporary. In the traditional world, marriage symbolizes a sort of permanence, so long as human life allows. He's telling her, essentially, that he wants her for as long as they're both alive. He's proclaiming to her that she's the one for him, and he's hoping desperately that she feels the same way.

When he starts to bumble about his words, he can't look at her. He doesn't want to look at her face to face if she rejects him, and she feels it. She seeks out his face, eager for him to meet her eyes when she says, "Yes." She knows the hold fear has on him, and wants to allay that fear with loving eye contact. Even when he finally meets her eyes, it's as though he's in a trance.

And then, Sara utters the words that really hit it on the nail for me. "Let's do it."

These words struck me so hard the first time around, and it wasn't until someone brought up "Butterflied" that I realized why.

"I couldn't do it."

Gil said that. He recognized that Sara was someone he could care about. She offered him a new life, and he couldn't do it. Essentially, he's offering her a new life with this proposal. It's a new status and a new label and a new committment. Yes, they're in a committed relationship already, but he wants her to know he's in it for life.

He couldn't do it. But, he's doing it. No. They're doing it.

No longer is Gil Grissom floundering alone, wondering what might have been. He's standing there, cradling the hand of his beloved, and he's stepping out on that ledge that for so long seemed too treacherous to travel. He's facing this beautiful woman, and she's looking back at him, affirming his hopes and dreams. She's in it for life, too.

Let Us Do It. I can break this down for ages, but it just stands alone.

Us. There's two of them. He's not standing behind the glass bemoaning his fears and inadequacies to a criminal, and she's no longer standing behind the glass, unseen, unheard. There's a unit here now.

Do It. He didn't know what to "do" about "this." He couldn't "do" it. It's a small, tiny word that's come up so much in the Grissom/Sara mythology. And, here, it's the defining word. There's no "let's think about it." "Let's meditate on it." No. "Let's do it." There's a definity to it. There's this lack of wavering to it. It's solid and steadfast, and their vision is set. It's beautiful.

The writing is just so layered and textured in this scene, and part of it has to do with the performances, but so much of it comes from a great script. And, I think it wouldn't have been the same had a man with a theater background not been behind it.

Both Gil and Sara are exposed, now. They're open and connected, and the smile on her face and the fascination and amazement on his just show, to me, how much they connect.

Now, I did cringe at the almost-bee-net-kiss. I thought it wasn't necessary. If I could cut the scene off at Sara's glowing face, I would. But, the point it, it was a gorgeous scene from my perspective. I love layered, textured scenes!

I thought it was a well-rounded episode, in all, with lots of great character moments, and a good balance of story and science. I hope there are more episodes like this to come this season!

3. Turtlebaby

Turtlebaby Police Officer

Re: Grissom & Sara #31 :TBA *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by Turtlebaby

4. butterflylove206

butterflylove206 Prime Suspect

ok I've been lurking and not posting since like march but I just wanted to say Alyssa - dead on as always except I really liked the kiss because I thought it was a reminder of the fact that this is a man who just proposed in a bee suit and also it showed how they were having one of those moments where you forget about everything about each other and they forgot about the masks

can we see Mrs. Sara Grissom on a poll please?!

5. Turtlebaby

Ok ya'll. Looks like the last poll ended in a tie.

Of course it did.

So. Here be another one with the two finalists.

Eventually I will actually post something about the totally squee worthy episode. I swear!

Ok. I deleted the previous poll... or tried to. Whatever. Because I had numerous requests to add Mrs. Sara Grissom to the poll. And by numerous I mean like PMs and everything. So I'll add that one in there too. Ok? But this is the last one or we'll end up having a new thread before we have the name of this one. We can always use it next time. Because, by God, there WILL be a next one.

The only problem I see with Mrs. Sara Grissom is the fact that Sara probably won't change her name. I mean... She seems like she's worked hard to make the name "Sidle" one to be proud of. Maybe she'll hyphenate. lol. Sidle-Grissom. But I really can't see her changing it.

But maybe she will. One final act to shed the scared little girl she was. Who knows?

6. BabyBunting

BabyBunting Witness

OK first off - OMG FRICKING SQUEEEEEEE!!!! she said YES!!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!! that scene was just asbolutely PERFECT! i was honestly grinning from ear to ear like a cheshire cat! :D

and we oh so nearly got that kiss we've been longing for - damn those stupid bee-keeper hemlets! TPTB are really messing with us now grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I wanna know what Grissom was fumbling about with in his desk draw that he was so quick to shut when Catherine appeared.. hum... I was really wanting the ep to end with Sara entering his office and him slipping a ring onto her finger and laying a big wet one on her to make up for their earlier, but ah well can't have everything I guess.

all in all I thought it was a really good episode, I didn't even find Ronnie as annoying as I did before and Sara's face as Greg was offering to take Catherine's mum out to dinner was just absolutely priceless! I don't think I have laughed so hard in a long time :lol:

they're getting MARRIED!!! OMG!!!!!

and for those of your coming up against anti-GSRness in your family, I am not even going to ATTEMPT to broach this subject with my mother, the last time I even mentioned Grissom and Sara in the same sentence she spat out how unrealistic it is and that "someone like him would NEVER go for someone like her!" OMG she said it with such venom I winced down the phoneline. I just think she's jealous ;) lol

7. Turtlebaby

Ok so I finally have a minute - I don't have to post a poll - AND I won't be double posting. Yay.

So I totally love this episode. For numerous reasons. First of all - She Said Yes! omg! I giggled helplessly for about fifteen minutes. Then I desperatly sought out anyone in the world that had seen it so I could gush and giggle with them. I was completely unsuccessful. lol. So I settled for running around my apartment alone singing "Going to the chapal and we're gonna gett maaaarriiied." It's embarassing.

So, this episode rocked my socks. Starting at the beginning, Grissom's usually tacky one liner actually made my heart hurt just a little. AND Teh Hat is still in play. You have no idea how happy it makes me to see it on a regular basis.

Sara looked... happy. Ronnie aquired some brain cells, which is good. Sara musta taught her a thing or two in the ... four months? Holy. Did they really skip ahead four months? Cool. She did however seem a little to eager to be working a mob hit. That wasn't really a mob hit.

Anyways, So then there was the proposal. I never thought I'd get to say that. lol. And it was Grissom not wanting to meet her eyes - like he was actually afraid that she'd say no. It was so cute that I just wanted to smash him. Just cuddle him all up and squeeeeeeeeze him until he exploded. Therapy - I know.

And then there was Sara. She just kinda stared at him until he asked again. Almost like she was making sure that her little ears didn't decieve her. But you could so see the happiness on her face. And then that little duck of her head as she attempted to meet his eyes. I was like "Awww! That's so cute!"

Then I kinda wanted to smash them both.

And that was before we got a Kiss Geek!Love style. omg did I laugh. I smacked myself in the forehead and rolled my eyes and just laughed like a fool. It was so sweet and so cute that I think I got cavities. For real. It was like for that one short moment everything in both their worlds ceased to exist except for the two of them. Bee Keeping hats included. There was no bulky hats or screens. Just the two of them. My little 'shipper heart just melted. *happy sigh*

Then there was Greg. He was so cute it was painful. So eager to help and spend a little time with Sara. I love it when he goes all Sherlock about Las Vegas History. Yay for Greg!

And I love it when he "flirts" with older ladies (especially when it's CATHERINE'S MOM) because he's hot for Las Vegas History. He was so cute that I (you guessed it) just wanted to smash him.

The cases kept me entertained, I'm still all warm and fuzzy over the proposal, and the character interactions made me really miss everyone working together.

I watched that scene on WAY slow motion and I don't think he was fumbling in a drawer. It looks like he was sitting there with his chin on his hand (knuckles) daydreaming. Grissom. DAYDREAMING. Holy. F*CK. I think my brain just imploded.

And then glowy (no, NOT starting baby rumors) happy looking Sara. I love Hodges all the more for pointing out what I saw. ;)

All in all, I wanted to smash the entire episode into a ball and put it in my pocket so I can carry it around with me. So I did. Gotta love Itunes.

Alyssa, you rock my socks. I always look forward to your post ep novels. They always manage to point out something that I didn't see the first time around. And what's a little frightening? You remind me of someone I know. It's more then a little freaky. Her name's Alyssa. She just got married. You write like she talks. It's alarming. lol. There have been other things as well. Don't worry though - I'm fairly certain that you are not her. xD Besides, her husbands name is Brandon. And yours is... Matthew? But wow, you really really remind me of each other.

Now, my minute is up and I gotta go back to work.

That is all.

8. emily77

emily77 Dead on Arrival

I really can't see Sara being the type to change her name...

It just doesn't seem in character.

[Totally OT, but my immature side would love to hear Greg tell Catherine "Your mom!"... Yes, I'm almost 30, and I should've grown out of finding this sort of thing funny years ago...]

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Ms. Alyssa and your book-like posts :D.. but right on ;) very in depth, are you a writer, you should be, I think I've said this before? I voted YES,LETS DO IT because their not married ..yet.. and engaged, I still say a ring should be involved, but then their not your typical traditional couple are they?

[​IMG]

10. BurnedToast

BurnedToast Coroner

Alyssa...I love you.
    xD
    But no, seriously, you hit it right on the head there, and it was amazing.

I'm still voting for Yes, let's do it., because I think it's absolutely perfect. The engagement will only last so long, but the fact that their in it together is going to last forever.

Sara seems more the type to hyphenate it. She's worked for so many years to shed the horrible things that had to do with her last name, that I don't think she'd want to completely let go of it. Yet, she'd be able to flaunt her new 'wife' status with her husband's last name.

[​IMG]

11. BabyBunting

BabyBunting Witness

I am just so happy to see our geeks so... happy!

*sigh*

12. butterflied08

butterflied08 Rookie

So, I'm more than a little upset that we don't get another new episode until the 1st :(, we've only had a couple so far.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the episode, it was awesome. However, I can't seem to shake the feeling that something's going to go wrong and the engagement will be off...GAHH I'm a terrible person!!

On another note, I absolutely adored Greg in this episode- he was perfect! He's so frickin adorable :devil:

13. ElinWaffle

ElinWaffle Witness

Woho! New thread! *celebrates by eating candy*

Lol at the Mrs. Sara Grissom.:lol: I remember back in those days when GSR weren't canon yet, how it was discussed on this thread hether Sara would keep her maiden name or if she was going to hypen it. Seriously, I have no idea. I can easily see her wanting to keep her last name, because, as someone pointed out back then, that she was way to non-traditionalist and independed (not saying that women who takes their husbands name are not independent, I just see it as a reason for Sara to keep her own). But on the other hand, given her family history, she might not WANT to keep her name. And, BTW Grissom is an ubrawesome surname! :D

I haven't voted yet, but seriously...Mrs. Sara Grissom is really good! But....since we actually don't know if she'll change her name, I think it is a little too...out of there.

TPTB are eeeevil persons...But we love them at the same time.*sigh*

Yes, that notice-thingy was rather inaccurate, but at the same time, not many people know who Jorja Fox is. CSI IS a popular show, but Sweden has a population of only 9 milion, so...Television isn't that big in Sweden as it is the States. CSI is more popular than CSI:miami and CSI:NY though, and Grey's Anatomy is airing on the same chanel at a different time, so there really is no competition. Mondays 9 pm is primetime in Sweden. Though, I think GA has a larger crowd than CSI. Probably because GA is more teenager-oriented and airs on a Wednesday whether as CSI's crowd is spanning all over the ages and airs on Mondays. What is funny is that House is the most popular....about 550 000 wievers every week, and that is HUGE in Sweden.

I love Manhunter. In fact, I love all the Hannibal Lecter books (and movies). I read the book before I saw the movie and all I could think of while reading was; Grissom, Grissom, Billy, Grissom... I don't care what my friends says, William Petersen can take on Edward Norton any day! *Go Billy*

Also... On the subject of names. Nameobsessed as I am, I read the Social Security Administrations list of the most popular 1000 names in the US. Jorja has broken the 1000 barrier and is currently at 969th place. Either parents are choosing it because the awesomeness that is Jorja Fox, or because it is another spelling of the name Georgia.

Maybe, if Grissom and Sara ever have a girl, she'll be named Georgia after JF.Lol.

BTW, wonder how many places Gilbert will rise next year. After the whole "Hello, Gilbert", I bet it is going to become America's next number 1 popular name.:D

Alyssa, you and your fantastic analyses are made of win. :)

14. BabyBunting

BabyBunting Witness

as far as i've read, they DO continue and get married in a couple of episodes time, it doesn't happen on screen though (which is a shame coz i'd have LOVED to have seen Griss all dressed up!), and aswell for Sara's exit, again as far as I have read it has nothing to do with the relationship, as best as I'm aware, it stays solid. I am still a firm believer that they haven't dragged us along for 8 seasons just to end it now.

as for whather Sara keeps her maiden name or not, quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn (lol) :p she could change her name to Mrs Tiggle-Wig for all I care, as long as our geeks are happy!

oh and as for the name Jorja, i have already decided that if DH and I ever went on and had a girl, that would be her name. I've had the name Georgia on my shortlist for girls for a LONG time, but as soon as I started watching CSI and saw the way JF spells it, I just kinda fell in love with it!

15. BrookeSidle

BrookeSidle Rookie

You guys crack me up. Especially you, Turtlebaby.

I actually really don't want her to change her last name. It doesn't seem like her at all. And Sara Grissom sounds strange to me, it would be weird since everyone calls Gilbert by his last name. Sara Sidle-Grissom would be cool though, her initials would be SSG.

Funny that Jorja is the 969th most popular name in the US. I bet people watched CSI, saw her name in the credits and thought "Hey, that's a cool way to spell Georgia. Let's name our daughter that." I hope not too many people name their kids Gilbert though, no offense to anyone with that name, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I wouldn't want to have my friends calling me Gil.

I voted for Yes, let's do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.