Grissom and Sara; #35 Forever Together, Never Apart

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by HellsBells, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSR GR

GSR GR Prime Suspect

I also liked them a lot pre-season 5, but 6 and 7 are special because we know they are together in those and there's little angst for a change. One can wonder how different season 8 would be had JF stayed in the show... but they managed to save it in the end and we were all happy with the result.

In a way, some angst may be a good idea after all and it's probably the only method to create an arc for them. Maybe that's what they mean with it being better for them that Grissom lives away, as they can create episodes about them, while if he lived in Vegas and they were both happy there wouldn't be much to write about (well, except when it comes to DB and his family, they know how to get that right it seems...)

I expect a lot of unresolved negativity in the next episode, but it will be fine in the end. :)

2. GSR GR

GSR GR Prime Suspect

I just saw the promo of episode 10...

They're a little too close for my taste, but the guy, as good looking as he may be, he can't possibly be a serious threat. He also better keep his hands to himself for the rest of the episode, or else we'll definitely need a scene with Sara and Grissom in the same room. If not anytime soon, at least toward the end of the season.

3. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

^^^
    Yeah, I agree. I'll reserve more comment til I see the episode. I'm more interested in what is not in the promo, which will hopefully be some discussion about Grissom and their marriage.

4. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Comments on the interview? Ack the spoiler tags won't work on iPad. What's the code for it?

5. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

Well, I really enjoyed last night's episode. Long distance is finally taking its toll, and it's definitely showing through Sara. I do think she's beginning to become unhappy; not necessarily with the relationship, more with the circumstance.

It was kind of fun to see her ex, and the way they interacted... Everything really came full circle when she let Grissom's call go to voice mail. Their hug at the end was also quite prolonged...

Great episode though.

6. MacsGirlMel

I still think they should just say he's in Vegas with her. They're wrong saying it's too awkward.

7. JorjaFoxFan

^ I disagree. Without having Billy on the show it's a difficult thing to do because it foils Grissom. If he were there he'd be seeing the team, and Sara frequently and would probably have affiliations with the lab. Without an actor, you can't. The writers have him out in the world pursuing his interests and living after finding happiness, there's a reason he didn't stay in Vegas, it was part of his departure.

Could you imagine the frustration level of having him in Vegas and constantly having to dodge the "err yeah, he's like a block away but, uh, we can't show him due to reasons".

It really lays in Billy's hands, without an actor, the only leniency the writers have is to mention him, have Sara call him, etc. there's really no moving forward at this point, last night's episode really proved that quite well

8. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

IDK. I tend to agree with MacsLilElf. I just think the way it is now, viewers are more curious because they don't know where he is or what he's doing or even why he and Sara married at all. IMO, it's bad for both his character and his exit storyline. And it's not doing Sara/Jorja any favors either by having them always be apart.
    I don't need to constantly have them communicating or Grissom being mentioned, but just knowing they are actually together would mean a lot. And it wouldn't interfere with Sara solving crimes or being flirted with...innocently.
    They need to bring Grissom back to LV; off screen would work for me. Then I can enjoy the rest of the show.

9. JorjaFoxFan

From the perspective of trying to get viewers for a TV show, it's a horrible move. It would be too attributed to one demographic. Sara is Grissom's only connection to the show anymore and it's a character arc they can't end, but can't continue any further.

10. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Again, I respectfully disagree. A show that is 12 years old needs to satisfy their old fan base. The only new viewers they will probably get will come with the addition of new stars, ie Danson and Shue and Harnois. Other younger viewers that are interested in the forensics/procedural aspect of the show will get what they want in the cases, not necessarily in the personal storylines. What's wrong with Grissom being a background character to these new viewers, in addition to being a past-major-character-with-a current-connection to the older viewers? I just don't see the downside. We don't need a Grissom arc, or a Mrs DB arc, or a Mrs SuperDave arc, or a Mrs Doc arc. We know they are there. If they want to join in the fun, then let them; but I don't need them to enjoy the show and the current regular characters.

11. kiwi_fruit

kiwi_fruit Dead on Arrival

IMO if Grissom lived in Vegas he could be doing variety of things unrelated to the lab- teaching, doing some research, working on a body farm(!?:)) etc, I wouldn't expect to see him in the lab if he wasn't working there, having said that WP appearance would be just what the show needs right now.

I believe in GSR 100% and I guess feel somewhat protective about this ship, but even objectively I can't see Sara or Grissom being able to be happy with anybody but each other and according to the interview with Elizabeth Devine their feelings aren't in question, it's the circumstances that are creating the tension(understandably).

It saddens me to read that some people would support divorce storyline, IMO not only that would be an extremely sad and depressing end to the main ship of the show, it would be implausible and out of character- are we to believe that those two would let their marriage fall apart due to the circumstances(WORK, to be precise) and be ok about it? Are we to believe that Sara would stay working in the lab while her relationship with the "one and only" is crumbling? Most people say they like to see happy Sara but how would divorce with the man she loves achieve that? And would Jorja and WP themselves support such an ending to the relationship they were so dedicated to?

And yes, I guess technically it would be much easier for the writers if they didn't need to mention Grissom whatsoever and write for his character without the character in sight, but..he was such a MASSIVE part of the thing for so many years and would ALWAYS be associated with CSI for most people, I personally believe the show would've never been as successul if it wasn't for Grissom, so I appreciate the mentions of him a lot and believe they're doing it for the benefit of loyal viewers and long-term fans. Just so so SO hope they don't screw up GSR.

p.s. snowfox, very well said, couldn't agree more.

12. MacsGirlMel

I also agree with whoever said in the ep thread that Sara makes no sense. It's hard to work in Jorja's desire to stay with the fact that Sara could leave.

13. GSR GR

GSR GR Prime Suspect

Well, for seasons 10-12 I also wondered why they can't have Grissom in Vegas since it would be enough for us fans, even if he never appeared again. He could be in the city, traveling a little, anything at all would be fine. It would be very easy to keep GSR happy without a major story arc and without having to chase Petersen for a voice recording (that's the impression I got from the last interview). So, prior to season 13 we had to assume that Sara was away to her husband when she was not working and they met once a month.

However, now it's too late for mere Grissom mentions to work as good as they could have. Suddenly, season 13 has a very sad, boiling Sara who's fed up with her marriage and can't get a hold of her husband. One season we're told it's unconventional but it works, next season it suddenly doesn't. It seems to me the writers cannot decide what to do with GSR. They've taken a risky approach, because they created a story arc where a Grissom appearance is necessary yet the actor is obviously unavailable. In the last episode we got almost as many Doug and Sara scenes as every important GSR scene put together over a 9 year course. Had this been a double episode we would have seen them all.

I don't think they can fix GSR without a Grissom appearance now, because Sara cannot suddenly show up in an episode and tell us she's happy with her husband, or that he returned, or see her talk on the phone with him and be happy. It wouldn't work after what we saw with Doug. You can't connect two characters when you only show one of them for years in a row.

So, yes, season 13 aside, I agree they should have brought Grissom back in Vegas, but I do think it's too late for just that to work now. They probably want to write their story in the way we'd like to see it, but technical/financial/other reasons keep them from it. Also, having Sara around and keeping GSR happy is technically difficult, and we want both, so we'll see what happens (hence why they'd be best left in the jungle, but we wanted more, and we could have gotten more in a much better way than we did).

And a last thing, I hope they don't continue writing Grissom as the 'bad guy' because we all agree that Sara can leave any time she wants to. I don't see the writers divorcing them in the end, but they can damage GSR the way this is going. I still expect this to be within this season's cliffhanger.

14. kiwi_fruit

kiwi_fruit Dead on Arrival

Which makes me want to believe the writers do have a clear idea how they're going to play this out and SURELY they wouldn't have started on this storyline without being able to provide satisfactory resolution or with the thought of ending GSR(I so hope)
    WP seems to have dropped off the radar, his appreciation page hasn't had any news updates in the last 6 months and I last I read was that he left "Hurt People".

15. GSR GR

GSR GR Prime Suspect

^^ Exactly, the last news on WP was about him signing with WME.
    It's the only way to make it right and appreciated by everyone. I'm just trying to expect the worst case so I won't be disappointed by anything negative...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.