"Grave Danger" Discussion (Beware Spoilers)

Re: Post - "Grave Danger" Episode Discussion/Review ***Spoi

The autopsy/hallucination scene most likely had more appeal to those who appreciate dark comedy. Everyone's tastes are different, and I know that that kind of humor isn't everyone's cup of tea.

That being said, I really, not enjoyed per se, but I found the autopsy scene to be a much needed stress reliever. To me it was very cathartic, allowing me to release my emotions of anxiety and fear. And of course, as soon as it was over, those emotions came back tenfold. What I'm getting at is, as a member of the audience, I'm glad they had the hallucination sequence. I fear without it, it may just have been too much for me to handle.

I also liked it as a plot device. I feel it really gave us some insight into how Nick thinks he is perceived by others. And it makes perfect sense that Nick would be hallucinating at that point.

So I say yay for the autopsy hallucination.

... that gave me the impression that he was so out of it that even if he did hear something he wasn’t able to register it or wasn’t able to distinguish between his hallucination and reality.

It helps to show how much Nick’s mental state had deteriorated.

But, I’ve clearly overanalyzed. :)

You make some valid points there. I know why Tarantino did it, I just think he should have made it more realistic. Maybe he should have kept the idea of Nick witnessing his own autopsy, even from the point of view of being 'under the knife' but I think it should have played out like a serious autopsy. yes it would have freaked Nick's fans out more...myself included... but it would still have shown that Nick's mental state wasn't functioning fully.

I love dark humour but I think there is a time and a place and it just didn't seem to fit there. It was a seriously dramatic ep and it was like a token gesture...like Tarantino thought about the content and decided there wasn't enough humour....'I know I'll throw in an OTT scene just for good measure'.... I've watched it many times and I still think it doesn't fit.

But that's just my opinion!

I also thought of another way he could have tortured Nick...by placing Nick's cell phone on the outside of the box with the display screen facing inwards...so he could see when 'the guys' were trying to contact him, but couldn't do anything about it. It would reach a point when they stoppped calling....imagine the angst he would feel.....the tech freaks out there will tell me that as long as his phone was turned on, they would have been able to trace his location, but hey, it could've worked!

^^ Nah, love is meant to be shared. :)

And speaking of sharing love, Nick needs a big hug from all of us for his ordeal. Poor baby. :( And George needs one for his absurd snub by the Emmy's people. :mad:

Amen to that!! And the fact that he wasn't afraid to show all those emotions deserves an emmy in itself.

AMEN TO BOTH...especially about the Emmy snub to poor George..I'd like to challenge all the noms out there to go and lie in a box for several hours with crickets over you. :)

So to George..here is my big hug.!!!! :)

and..from Nick'sLittlestFan..a big hug and big chocolate bar smeared face kiss...oops sorry about that..here's a wipe for you by'
:)

Hey, Im Liz and im new to the board, anyway Ive been bitten by a buch of fireants (well the were red and they hurt like hell so could have been fireants)when i was a kid. I went down a slide an landed in a whole load of them, man it hurt for ages.Poor Nick I cant even imagin being bit by that many ants and not being able to do anything about it, surely that alone has gotta have affected him greatly,like giveing him a serious fear of creepy crawlies.

Hey Liz, welcome! :)

Fireants...grrrrr! Small but powerful critters!

As for big hugs...anytime GE, anytime! ;)

Has anyone ever been in a box like Nick for any length of time?

I have...twice! :eek:

I have a question. When I saw the episode "Snuff", a body was found infested with fire ants. When they recovered the body and took it to autopsy, everyone was wearing protective gear . Why weren't they doing that with Nick? Wasn't anyone else getting bitten?

Kasey

I have a question. When I saw the episode "Snuff", a body was found infested with fire ants. When they recovered the body and took it to autopsy, everyone was wearing protective gear . Why weren't they doing that with Nick? Wasn't anyone else getting bitten?

Kasey

No one was wearing protective gear because they killed the fire ants with the fire extinguisher before even opening the box. So no one else was getting bitten because the fire ants were already dead.

Okay, first time:
Some spooky production I saw at Uni. It was kinda audience participation, you got an appointment and saw the whole thing one at a time. It was like this labyrinth in the dark...you navigated through touch and sound.
Anyway there were actors who appeared and guided you through different routes after judging how likely you were to wig out. I got pushed up against a cushioned wall which then fell backwards so I was on my back...in a coffin. The lid was placed on it and then I heard dirt thrown on top like I was being buried. I was in there for like ten minutes.....The weird thing is, I didn't freak like Nicky did....it felt strangely comforting!!!

Second time:

School production of Oliver. We borrowed a coffin from the local undertakers and the kids dared me to get in it. I did and the pesky critters locked me in and scarpered... I did wig out a little that time 'cos I didn't know if there was anyone around!

Kasey

No one was wearing protective gear because they killed the fire ants with the fire extinguisher before even opening the box. So no one else was getting bitten because the fire ants were already dead.
Wouldn't there have been ants crawling in the dirt while they were digging? Were all of the ants in with Nick? Shouldn't they have worn the gear as a precaution?

Kasey

I guess they were just so concerned about getting Nick out, they didn't bother...It was a solidarity thing,,,especially for Warrick,,,kind of ' if Nick has to go through this, so do I'

I guess they were just so concerned about getting Nick out, they didn't bother...It was a solidarity thing,,,especially for Warrick,,,kind of ' if Nick has to go through this, so do I'
I guess your right. It was probably better for Nick's sanity. I wonder how he would have reacted looking up through the lid and seeing everyone wearing that gear.

Kasey

Wouldn't there have been ants crawling in the dirt while they were digging? Were all of the ants in with Nick? Shouldn't they have worn the gear as a precaution?
Kasey

Well yeah but that would have taken away from the drama of the moment. You wouldn't have been able to see anyone faces and there's no way they could have found enough suits for eveyone there :)

Or you could argue that they were so focused on Nick that they weren't going to worry about no stinking fire-ants slowing them down from finding their boy.

You make some valid points there. I know why Tarantino did it, I just think he should have made it more realistic. Maybe he should have kept the idea of Nick witnessing his own autopsy, even from the point of view of being 'under the knife' but I think it should have played out like a serious autopsy. yes it would have freaked Nick's fans out more...myself included... but it would still have shown that Nick's mental state wasn't functioning fully.

I love dark humour but I think there is a time and a place and it just didn't seem to fit there. It was a seriously dramatic ep and it was like a token gesture...like Tarantino thought about the content and decided there wasn't enough humour....'I know I'll throw in an OTT scene just for good measure'.... I've watched it many times and I still think it doesn't fit.

I can understand why people don’t really like the hallucination scene and why they don’t think it fit in the episode, but I just don’t agree.

The hallucination scene kind of made me think of some of the strange dreams I’ve had. I often dream about someone I know dying and even had a dream that I died once. They’re never realistic, but yet they seem very real to me at the time, and that’s just a regular night of sleep for me, so I thought the hallucination seemed quite fitting. It would have been interesting if it had been like an actual autopsy. That would have been creepy, and I think I would have liked it, but I still like it the way it was done.

I also think that Nick was still “seeing things” even after they dug him up. When Grissom calls him Pancho I think Nick really thought that his father was there. I’m not sure that he ever realized that it was actually Grissom talking to him. I know some people don’t agree, but I think Nick called Grissom “Daddy,” then after they open the lid he says “Warrick” when he takes Warrick’s hand, but he never acknowledged Grissom. Maybe he just didn’t say it, but maybe he never realized that Grissom was there.

I thought I heard Nick beg to be let out of the box when they opened the lid...like a little kid asking his dad's permission...maybe you're right ford prefect, I guess Nick did think Grissom was his dad.

I see where you're coming from with the weird dream thing and I guess I can understand that Nick's hallucination would take a seriously weird turn...the human mind is irrational and can play some seriously bizarre tricks!

Back