"Grave Danger" Discussion (Beware Spoilers)

Re: Post - "Grave Danger" Episode Discussion/Review ***Spoi

2. If his parents were as well known and respected (big judge in Texas). How is it they could only come up with 20 grand. Heck I'm low-mid class income and I could come up with that. What a lousy scene they had too. Long enough for dad to call Nick Pancho.

4. The light in the coffin. For CSI's they weren't very observant. Hey look, every time the light comes on we blind Nick. Gee, let's do it again and again so we can watch him die!!

Getting money together, even if you're rich, is not easy. We are more and more living in a cashless society and people do not have physical cash lying around. Plus they would have been rushing to the airport to get to Las Vegas, whilst trying to get the cash together.

As to the light - how would the CSIs know that it was hooked into the same battery as the fan? Until they dug up the dog coffin they would have had no of knowing how the thing was set up.

But if they were watching him as closely as they seemed to be, wouldn't his physical reaction such as his eyes squinting, holding his hand over the light at least give them an idea.

Just wondering, it was actually a good observation.

I'd have to say that, since they pretty much kept the light on regularly by accident, (since they wanted to keep him onscreen all the time, which I understand- they didn't want to lose the small contact they had) he wouldn't have been suddenly squinting and reacting all the time- in fact it seemed like he was mostly just laying there with his hands over his eyes most of the time. How could they know that the camera was what kept the light on?

I mean, these people are top-drawer in the smarts department, but I really think that's asking a little much.

But if they were watching him as closely as they seemed to be, wouldn't his physical reaction such as his eyes squinting, holding his hand over the light at least give them an idea.

Just wondering, it was actually a good observation.

You make a very good point. And I agree with you fully. However, I think the others were more concerned with keeping the light on to make sure that Nick was alive, than they were concerned with any physical discomfort the light may have caused him.

I'm not a great computer person but I was wondering about something. Walter was watching Nick's feed with his own computer. Could he have controlled the light also? just curious.

Kasey

Could he have controlled the light also? just curious.

No, I don't think so. The reason why is that the battery that fed the fan was also attached to the light. Every time the light came on, the fan turned off (the battery wasn't sufficient). Warrick, I believe, figured that out.

I thought Grave Danger was amazing! But the promos made it look a wee bit better than it was....but I still was glued to my seat! The ants..oh my god...I was constantly getting reminders on another CSI forum, saying: "The ants are on the TV, not on you!" They freaked me out....I was obsessed for weeks after that.....still am....one thing that got me going was how Nick started singing to get Catherine and Warrick's attention...and his voice was getting hoarse...that was..wow...George Eads' acting in Grave Danger was incredible...he was completely shunned by the Emmy people! *shakes fist angrily*

That must have been horrifying...and that hallucination...I wonder, after that, how hard would it have been for Nick to distinguish between what was real, and whether he was hallucinating or not?? I've watched Grave Danger about...eleventy billion times since it aired over here....and I'll watch it again! It'll be really interesting to see how this develops in Season 6... I think Nick will get really defensive, and maybe lash out at someone close to him.... like Warrick or Grissom....and it'll be hard for him to trust people again....but that's just my crazy mind spazzing out again....

That's my two cents anyway...

Maxie xxx

Have you ever been bitten by a fireant? Man, it hurts. One got me on my toe and my toe just swelled up to twice it's size and was throbbing for hours. How the hell Nick survived...Well, I admire the guy!

As for the hallucination...am I the only one who was annoyed with it? I felt it took something away from the quality of the ep...it felt like it was just Tarantino throwing it in just to make sure everyone knew it was a Tarantino episode. Just an observation but it just disappointed me. That said...Doc Robbins sure knows how to be melodramatic! He'd be great in a pantomime!

Getting money together, even if you're rich, is not easy. We are more and more living in a cashless society and people do not have physical cash lying around. Plus they would have been rushing to the airport to get to Las Vegas, whilst trying to get the cash together.

Yep. Probably most of their money is tied up in certificates and bonds and stuff, that you don't just run to the ATM to cash. It was the middle of the night. They needed a couple of days to contact the right people to convert the certificates to cash.

I loved Grave Danger it really was an awesome episode! I had friends over to watch it and these friends don't watch CSI: ever but I made them come cuz I was freaking out but they just love it now and I thought Tarantino added some interesting stuff! I thought the hallucination was very freaky! I cried soo bad..Im happy the didn't leave it at a cliffhanger or kill off Nick. His acting was superb in this episode...his crying touched my heart!

Yep. Probably most of their money is tied up in certificates and bonds and stuff, that you don't just run to the ATM to cash. It was the middle of the night. They needed a couple of days to contact the right people to convert the certificates to cash.

Besides, we've all seen how hard it is to withdraw large sums of money without drawing attention to yourself. Remember "The Finger"? Coupled with the 'crazed parent' protective mode any parent would snap into, time is the last thing you can afford to lose in a situation like that.

When I watch the episode and Nick got bit by the fireants, and then it went to the morgue with Doc Robbins and David, I really thought he had died. until they started talking. :D

As for the hallucination...am I the only one who was annoyed with it? I felt it took something away from the quality of the ep...it felt like it was just Tarantino throwing it in just to make sure everyone knew it was a Tarantino episode. Just an observation but it just disappointed me. That said...Doc Robbins sure knows how to be melodramatic! He'd be great in a pantomime!

I didn’t like the hallucination scene that much the first time I saw it, but upon subsequent viewings I really started to like it, for several reasons.

1. I think it’s hilarious, and provides some comic relief.

2. It’s an interesting glimpse at how Nick views himself and how he believes other people view him.

3. It made a lot of people think that Nick had actually died, which I know made some people upset, but I think was a job well done.

4. It seems like Nick should have been able to hear some of the commotion going on above him, at least after they had dug almost all the way down to the top of the coffin. And even if he couldn’t hear that, he really should have heard Catherine yelling to him through the ventilation pipe, and it looked as though he did hear her. That happened just before he had the hallucination, so that gave me the impression that he was so out of it that even if he did hear something he wasn’t able to register it or wasn’t able to distinguish between his hallucination and reality. I think that hearing Catherine yell to him that they were there would have given him plenty of reason not to shoot himself, yet he was going to do it anyway.

I think this scene also did some other things that weren’t really necessary, but I felt helped to make the rescue scene more believable.

5. It helps to show how much Nick’s mental state had deteriorated. Up until that point, except for his initial, completely understandable, freak-out, he had been pretty calm, even while shooting out the light and dealing with the fire ants. When they finally uncover him, he’s completely lost it. Of course, this can also be explained by the fact that he had been just about to shoot himself and he was feeling relief and a renewed sense of panic while waiting to finally be helped out of the coffin.

6. It makes it more believable that, after holding on for so long, Nick would be willing to shoot himself. It shows that he seems to have accepted that he is going to die. Again, since he knew he was about to run out of air and probably didn’t want to suffer any more pain from the fire ants it’s understandable that he would want to end it quickly. Personally, if there were no fire ants involved I think I’d rather suffocate than shoot myself, I just don’t know if I’d be able to pull the trigger, but throw some fire ants in there and I might change my mind.

But, I’ve clearly overanalyzed. :)

I just watched it again...and wow...those ants....eugh, that's horrible! And yeah, I have been bitten by a fire ant....on the palm of my hand while I was in the garden. Thought it was just a regular ant bit until it started swelling...man, those bites hurt....kinda manage to penetrate your skin and the pain comes from inside you...eugh! Horrible...that's what freaked me out most, I went all squirmy! I mean, one bite was horrible enough, yet alone hundreds, even thousands all continuously, all over your body.... =S Horrid!

Maxie xxx

I liked "Grave Danger" very much, but it wasn't perfect. I'm not a Quentin Tarantino movie fan (his movies are too bloody/violent for my taste, and I hate how he obviously gets off on all that gore), but I have to give him kudos because there were some really well done scenes and camera angles. For example, there was a really cool scene shot from above as Catherine, Warrick, Greg, and Hodges are examining the plexiglass box that contained the dead dog. As shown from above, Greg is lying under the box swabbing the bottom of it for trace. His legs are crossed in a rather cute way, and Catherine, totally absorbed in thought, casually steps over him as she says: "This has got to be a prototype...". This scene, as well as some others, showed how comfortable they all are with one another, and how hard they were all concentrating on ways to locate Nick.

Tarantino is also a master of dialogue. I loved the little scene where Gil and Sara were discussing Roy Rogers (what a blast from the past! I used to watch The Roy Rogers Show on Saturday mornings, and those were the black and white TV show days!). I also enjoyed the scene where Greg and Hodges were playing the Dukes of Hazzard board game. Very amusing, and could Greg be any cuter? I think not. I actually quite enjoyed Hodges too. He's making an attempt to become one of the gang, and it's kind of working.

That said, I really hated Nick's hallucination scene. It was a waste of precious minutes that could have been better utilized.

I've been stung by fire ants before, and it really hurts. Just one ant sting can create a painful pustule that causes an extremity like a finger, hand, toe or foot to swell up. It stays that way for several days until the pustule finally pops.

I remember prior to the autopsy scene, there was a close up of the ants biting Nick, and the venom going to his heart and it looked like his heart had stopped!! I remember sitting on the edge of my couch crying out, 'He's dead..oh my god..they killed Nick!!!!' And then when the commericials ended and the next scene showed Nick on the autopsy table, I was thinking out loud, 'oh.no..they couldn't have killed him'..then of course Nick's eyes open up and Doc Robbins and Dave are gleefully laughing, then my shock turned to confusion. 'WTF' I thought.

I LOVED the autopsy scene, I just laughed hysterically at the doctors. Especially, Doc Robbins gleefully pulling the intestines out. Nick's facial expressions were priceless especially when his father said, 'He'll look great the funeral, his mother will appreciate that.' Nick looked as if he were thinking, 'Whaaaaat?'

Then the capper, Doc Robbins pulling Nick's heart out of his chest and handing it to his father, 'your son had a good heart.' Loved it. Priceless.

Back