Grade 'Sweet Sixteen'

La_Guera said:
On a related note, I'm getting tired of the blatant double-standard for Mac and Stella as opposed to everyone else on the team. At least when Mac demanded Flack's notebook, he had considerable evidence to support him, but Mac asks Flack to hold off on collaring a kid in spite of a mountain of evidence because the boy was allegedly abused by his father. That's it. At the time he asks Flack for "one hour", he has not one shred of exculpatory evidence. He...just wants the time. Well, okay, Mac, if you say so. ::eyeroll:: Because God knows your gut is infallible.

It bugs me, too, more in Mac's case than Stella's because Mac has been so damn sanctimonious on that issue with the others CSIs in the past, but when it comes to him...oh, no, he can go with his gut--and of course turn out to be right. I felt that even though Mac turned out to be right, Flack's points still stood.

I agree with you Top !
I would be nice to see Mac or Stella actually be wrong once and a while. I know they are high ranking detectives but they are human too, they can make mistakes.

At least Mac's being called on it now (Hawkes also did that a couple of weeks ago). The thing is, Mac/Gary projects such an air of impenetrability it's almost scary. Stella has always been the only one who's willing to go toe to toe with him. Now the others are starting somewhat, too. And it's exciting to see that. I wonder if we ever get to see Mac proved wrong. Out of curiousity, has Grissom or Horatio ever been proven wrong :confused:

Anyway, I gave it an A-

The cases weren't that interesing by themselves but the dynamics between the characters were pretty awesome. Mac and Flack, Stella and that deranged Mom, Mac and Reed. And even Hawkes and Lindsay. They seemed to have natural chemistry.

I agree, even as an all-out Mac Lovin' Taylor Girl, I raised my eyebrows at Mac going more with his gut this time around, then with the evidence. On the one hand, I agree with the criticism that this is a man that wags a cautionary finger when a member of his team does the same thing. On the other hand, perhaps this by-the-book guy is finally starting to appreciate the value of a really, really good old fashioned hunch, once in awhile. And if that's the case, then good for the writers, for making Mac more human, and possibly sometime in the future, more fallible. That would be interesting to see, Mac finally starting to trust his hunches, and being proven wrong. Heartbreaking for Mac, but realistic and believable, and it would add an interesting dynamic to his stubborn, "I'm not wrong very often" character.

Out of curiousity, has Grissom or Horatio ever been proven wrong

I'm not for sure but, thought the had or just Grissom. Would have to go back through my dvds. I was surprised Mac went with his gut feeling also since like Horatio/Grissom he says to follow the evidence. Guess it's okay to go with your gut feeling once in awhile & apparently his gut feeling was right. Hated the end where he couldn't go with Reed like he wanted to. Glad he gave him the pics though. I loved this ep. Was glad to see Lindsay wasn't seriously hurt but that they handled it well. Keeping her out of the limelight for awhile before putting her back in the lab. Hope this made sense. LOL

I thought the episode was great. It had great messages but could have delved deeper into each theme - a spouse killing over being over-indulgent with his/her children and an abuser who didn't want to relinquish the abused to someone else.

The tension between Gary Sinise and Eddie Cahill was handled well. I like that they're continuing with the storylines from previous episodes when it's very easy to have an issue one episode and three years later touch on it again.

It makes me wonder where the follow-up is with Danny's brother and to know about Stella - is she in therapy? Has she been able to go on a date since Frankie? Hopefully TPTB will be touching on these issues before the season ends!

I'm happy they brought back Reed Garrett. The scene with Mac and Stella was nicely played. I'm not sure Mac would have talked to anyone else in the lab about the situation. Anyone else on the team wouldn't have been fitting and to come from Claire Forlani's character, Peyton Driscoll, would have been awkward to watch. (Although good to see the development with their relationship.)

Voted B

Couldn't quite get into the cases.

I felt sorry for the abused kid and liked it that, for a change, Mac was the one acting on a gut feeling.

Didn't like the other case at all. All the suspects and the birthday girl annoyed me. Especially the scene with little miss popularity waving around her invitation above the heads of the admiring and desperate crowd was too much.

I think that poor daddy was better of dead. Being blackmailed by his daughter for having an affair with her best friend, having a son who's so bored that he is setting poisonous snakes free in his sister's car just for fun and finally being killed by your insane wife with her very expensive hair extensions (which he most likely payed for).

I did think the continuity of several stories (Mac/Flack and Mac/Reed) and perhaps the start of a new one (FBI agent/IRA) is great.
thisyearslove said:
It makes me wonder where the follow-up is with Danny's brother and to know about Stella
I'm so hoping for that too now.

Top41 said:
A-

Lindsay's Pinto = [image]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/fandango12/Smilies/rock.gif[/image]. I wonder if her deep dark secret/tragedy is that it burst into flames on her way to Dairy Queen.

I wanted to smack her. Oh, poor Lindsay, you only got a Pinto? Poor baby! Some of us...OMG OMG!--didn't get cars at all for our 16th birthdays and *gasp* had to buy them ourselves when we got our first decent paying jobs! :rolleyes:

Except that Lindsay wasn't complaining about the Pinto. She was pointing out that her mom's used Pinto was good enough for her. She said she "loved that car."

I think that sentence is open to interpretation. On the one hand, the way she said it was her 'mom's old Pinto' seemed to be sort of like 'it was nothing like this car.' But at the same time, she said she 'loved' the car, so she was either content with it or didn't expect anything more. Of course, it could also have been more about her 'loving' it because of the freedom it offered rather than the car itself being nice...

LOL I know nothing about cars. Didn't even know that there is/was a 'Pinto' :eek:

I thought she said 'Punto' and I know that one because I had one myself. It looked like this:
fiat_grande_punto_2.jpg

So, when she said 'she loved it' I could totally believe that, because I loved it too :D

Back on topic. I do believe she really did liked the car. And that could be because it was her first one, because of the freedom it offered or because her mom gave it to her; we'll never know.

And with the remark about the 'old Pinto' she probably just meant that she thought the car this girl got was a far too expensive present. And I agree :)

^Sure, it was overly indulgent, but it was an awfully callous time to point that out when the girl's dad is lying dead in the car. And Lindsay saying she got a Pinto was said in reference to the girl's Mercedes, and to those of us who weren't gifted with a car at 16--either used or new--they both did pretty well (well, not so much the girl whose dad is dead).

Sure, it was overly indulgent, but it was an awfully callous time to point that out when the girl's dad is lying dead in the car
That seems to be a trend, sometimes, with this show (and others of a similar type). Maybe it's because standing over a dead body is just everyday work for them, but sometimes they say things that, to an outside observer, is inappropriate for the situation. Having any kind of chit-chat over a dead body seems disrespectful--something like Stella, Lindsay and Flack smirking about how many phone numbers he got in "People with Money" while that guy's body was on the ground in front of them; or also in "Open and Shut" when Danny was wheeling the dead concierge's body out of the building and made some comment about the spike sticking out of her like it was just interesting or funny--yes, to them, it is, but I think about how the person's family would feel if they were standing nearby and heard this kind of thing after their loved-one has been killed.

*shrug* I guess it's just one of the things about CSI...

^ Agreed. It's one of those things I hate about all three CSIs. I've noticed it more in LV, but sometimes it pops up in NY and it can be a really funny joke, but there is a time and a place, people.

Maybe it's because standing over a dead body is just everyday work for them
Yeah it is, they're used to it. But if it were me and someone was chainsawed or something-- I would behave differently.

A-
The cases were good. I liked the dynamics between Mac and Flack that carried on from a previous episode. I like how this season, they're all tying everything up and the twist at the end was exciting. Of course-- I'll have to give them props for finding out a very original way to keep Anna out for a good majority of the episode. A snake bite. :) But most of all, I liked how Stella and Mac were so close and she was convincing him to talk to Reed and he did. My heart broke though when Mac was called off to a scene and I saw the dissapointement in Reed's face. And I liked how Mac showed Reed the photos.

^True, though I think in the teasing Flack about the numbers case, that was independent of what happened to the dead guy on the bridge. I did not rake Lindsay over the coals for that one :lol: --it seemed like normal work banter to me.

Back