Grade Season Two

I gave this season a B-. The reason why is because it wasn't consistent. I mean, we were given a fantastic episode and then we were hit with a few weak ones afterwards. Also, a lot of B cases seemed to be fillers and I felt in episodes like RSRD & All Access didn't need them. Another mistake was immediately bringing in a character like Lindsay whom after many episodes I still don't like and moving Hawkes up to the field which really gave him less screen time. Hill is a fantastic actor and I need to see more of him on my TV. Eddie stepped up this season and made the most of what he had. Melina, just f*cking awesome as always. I love her. It was nice to see Mac loosen up this season, both with his personality and clothes. He wasn't as robotic as last season. The change in Danny's personality didn't go to well. He suddenly went from this feisty character to this mellow-drama guy. Seeing him relaxed all the time is boring. I love his spunk and I want it back. I felt the show lost its NY appeal with the episodes we were given. I do however love the new colour of the inside of the building. Anyway, my analogy between season one and two is like watching Canada play soccer(season two) vs. Brasil playing soccer(season one). It's just so different!

I gave it an A+...to me this season of CSI:NY has been my favorite out of all the CSI shows and it shocked me how good it was....in the beginning I was doubtful but now im in love with all the characters especially mac, danny and stella...i just hope next season is just as good :D

I don't feel justified giving the overall season a grade since I missed quite a few episodes just before and after Christmas that I didn't manage to get caught up on. However, from what I have seen, I do agree with pretty much all that Top said. I think it was a serious misstep on the part of the writers to have a B case in so many episodes, especially an episode like RSRD, which viewers had been eagerly awaiting for a YEAR to have tied up. I left the episode feeling cheated, like things had happened too quickly, and I know it's partly because of the diversion the B case created.

I also didn't care for the "lightened" atmosphere...season one of NY was gritty and dirty, something I think helped set it apart from LV and Miami. As it stands now, NY seems more like CSI:LV Lite, which is boring.

Also? Interview after interview with Zuiker last summer stressed how they wanted to put more of a NY feeling into the show. So what do they do? When Aiden left they replaced her with Ms. White Bread herself. Now, I understand the concept of showing that NY is a melting pot of people from other states, but didn't we already cover this with Mac being from Chicago? It's just...odd, I guess.

I'm also quite miffed that TPTB went on and on about moving Hawkes out of the morgue and into the field as a way to showcase the character a little more...except I think we've seen more of Hammerback than Hawkes! I like the character of Hawkes and with the way things have gone this season, I don't see that there was any point of moving him out of the morgue.

I gave it an C. although, I was being very generous with that. The turn that the show has taken this season was one that if it doesn't change will end up on a dead end.

Without going into too many details...

Lindsay Monroe. For the love of God, send her back to Montana. Her scripted performance is nauseating and it does not work here.

Lindsay/Danny. Not only no, but hell no. Forced chemistry between these two makes me cringe.

Hawkes. Where is our loveable ME? I miss him, dearly. He got more time in the morgue as an ME, rather than a CSI.

I actually miss the cohesiveness of the team from season one. Everyone worked well together and fit together. Also, some of the storylines leave little to be desired.

But, it is still my favorite CSI :)

I gave it an A+. I loved this season. I found the cases interesting (for the most part), the characters and acting fantastic and it kept me entertained every second it was on.

I understand that some people prefered the tone/style of season one, I just personally liked this season better. I liked Aiden and it sucks she left (I wish they didn't kill her too), but I love Lindsay. In fact, I've loved her since the first episode I saw her in. In my opinion, she was a great addition to the cast and I think Anna does a wonderful job portraying her. And yes, I am also a Danny/Lindsay shipper and I like where they are going with the pairing.

The lack of Hawkes is one of the only complaints I have. I am hoping that they make up for it next season and give us a Hawkes-centered epsiode (and a Flack one too!).

All in all, NY is my favourite show on tv. It's the only show where I love all the characters. With other shows, there is at least one I don't like, but not with this one. I can't wait for the DVD to come out. :)

IcyDroplets , I think you and I are the only ones who feel this way from what I've read so far. Please TPTB, don't ever bring back that blue hue.

The only difference is that Miami is my favorite followed by NY.

Gave it a B-. Frankly, the writing could have been better. I think when they lost that edge from season one, they lost their niche and really had no base to work from this season. They need to work on that. I'm sure there's a way they could blend "lightness" with the "NYC feel".

I really can't grade it right now coz I've only seen three episodes from the first season. But so far, this season is an A for me. Let's see if it changes after I see all of season 1.

I gave it an A. I really liked S1, but I loved S2, despite a few flaws, which even the best TV shows have. As someone else pointed out, sophomore seasons are often pretty tough, especially when you make as many changes as they did on CSI NY.

I love Mac, so I was ecstatic to see them humanize him a bit more (IMO) this season, lighten him up a bit, and allow some of Gary Sinise's wonderful humor show through in Mac.

I echo everyone's sentiments in wanting to see Hawkes get more screentime. I think I read in an article early on in the season where someone (Anthony Z., perhaps?) said they wanted to move Hawkes more into the field because they couldn't ignore the wonderful chemistry he had with Mac & everyone. Errr...okay, then give him more time with them, LOL.

Love Stella, Danny & Flack. No complaints about their characters at all.

Wasn't at all sure how to take Lindsay in the beginning. She seemed like too much of a suck-up, but after thinking about it throughout a few more eppys, I realized how realistic that actually was, on the writers' part. Small town girl in the Big Apple with the Big City Forensics Team, wanting very much to fit in but still desperately clinging to her roots. Of course she's going to do some major sucking up and going out of her way to impress her boss and teammates. Glad they have mellowed out that aspect of her, quite a bit. Still on the fence re: Anna's delivery, though. I guess I'll reserve my judgement on her fully, until S3. Not a L-Hater, not a L-Lover. Definitely still on the fence, LOL. Re: the Lindsay/Danny storyline, I see it more as a growing respect for eachother, and less as growing romantic feelings. Danny in particular seemed resentful of her, being Aiden's replacement, and he baited her and purposely butted heads with her a bit. She has finally managed to gain his respect, and that's what I see onscreen, not necessarily a romance-in-the-making. Of course, I can be purposely obtuse in that way, when I want to be. In my world, Grissom has not slept with his emotionally unbalanced direct subordinate... ;)

I can honestly say that I initially started watching the show out of my admiration and respect for Sinise, and of course plain old curiousity. But I can also honestly say that I will now continue watching (and this will be the main CSI I watch next year, possibly some of Miami too) out of a true affection and respect for the show and it's characters.

MBGrissom said:

Wasn't at all sure how to take Lindsay in the beginning. She seemed like too much of a suck-up, but after thinking about it throughout a few more eppys, I realized how realistic that actually was, on the writers' part. Small town girl in the Big Apple with the Big City Forensics Team, wanting very much to fit in but still desperately clinging to her roots. Of course she's going to do some major sucking up and going out of her way to impress her boss and teammates. Glad they have mellowed out that aspect of her, quite a bit. Still on the fence re: Anna's delivery, though. I guess I'll reserve my judgement on her fully, until S3. Not a L-Hater, not a L-Lover. Definitely still on the fence, LOL.

Yey! Finally, someone with the same view on Lindsay as mine! :D

Thirded about Lindsay. Delivery isn't great but I'm not going to hang myself over it.

I'll give season 2 the benefit of the doubt an give it a C- because there were 2 episodes that I thought were excellent on most levels, however the majority of the rest were simply an absolute mess. I don’t want to echo too many of the sentiments already shared, but some I will.

I would like to say that people keep bringing up the lightened up NY as though it just happened this season and that is just not the case that directive came from the network first season and “ReCycling” ushered in the era of the lighter NY and the blue tint was long gone early in season one. Season one of NY was fantastic and makes the problems with second season all the more painful, I’d love to be able to say that had I not seen season one then season two would hold better favor with me, but I doubt it, sub par is sub par.

The two biggest problems this season were the sloppy unispired writing and Lindsay as annoyingly portrayed, well barely portrayed, I should say as script read by Anna. The writers lost their way or they just didn’t care about the mediocre plots and storylines that were churned out this season. There were many moments this season that shadowed, mirrored, or outright copied from season one. How can a show that is two years old suddenly run out of original and compelling scripting. Lindsay was an unnecessary addition before she ever set foot onscreen, however I was willing to look and see what she was all about and then Anna’s delivery left me cold, and then it left me cringing, and finally it left me angry. I simply don’t believe that what I see on television isn’t clearly visible in the editing room. Anna’s performance is utterly soul sucking, she has managed to make Carmine’s fiery performances cold and lifeless.

Though the acting in “RSRD” was amazing I felt cheated by the episode by all that was promised in “Tanglewood,” the inclusion of a B storyline didn’t help, but in the end, I wanted the episode to be a bit more daring with where it took Danny’s character. They had a chance to take a risk, instead took the easy way out, and made Danny’s final bow of the head in “Tanglewood” nothing more than an overreaction. I’m supposed to believe that Danny was distraught over trying to hangout with the Tanglewood Boys until his brother sent him home. I have to hope that what we saw wasn’t the whole story when it comes to Danny’s clearly not so shady past. I wonder what Sonny Corleone Zuiker was talking about when it came to Danny, not that we saw much of the real Danny this season.

You know whom else we didn’t get to see this season – Hawkes. He goes from ME to lab tech, because Lindsay is being wedged in my throat and every episode has to include a painful and staged moment between Danny and Lindsay despite an overwhelming lack of chemistry. My cat has more chemistry with a striped sock that it slaps and bats around with only one eye open. I feel a proposal is one the horizon, but I’ll have to contact the sock’s family first it might be a shot gun wedding. However, the attraction between my cat and his sock is more believable that Danny and Lindsay’s and therefore more compelling.

I hope Hill is properly pissed and lodging his complaints loudly and vehemently with TPTB.

I haven’t seen anyone else say it, but I will, what happened to some development for Flack unless being unconscious in the hospital counts as development. Last season we had “The Fall” and questions emerged about Flack’s relationship with his father and his unshakeable ethics. Why didn’t we get any Flack development this season, well I think maybe it was the whole throat shoving Lindsay fiasco.

Come to think of it, did any of the characters really develop this season? I don’t think they did, maybe Mac once in the middle of the season and more often at the end of the season, but other than that I don’t think so. Unless they consider Stella’s brutalization, Danny’s lack of emotion, Hawkes disappearance, Flack’s untouched past, and Lindsay’s shrieking character development.

You know when a show character driven and the character are either not developed or not compelling the show has to fall back on its plots, sadly, NY couldn’t do even that this season because those were just terrible. It was not a sophomore slump it was a sophomore implosion and one that could have been avoided with ease, NY was on the right track the second half of the first season and now they have derailed, some have hope for recovery but I just don’t see how that can happen.

The only uncompromisingly perfect change this season was the casting of Robert Joy as Hammerback, I spent many episodes thinking if I can just make it until he comes on screen I can smile again.

Ali

A
I think it had high and low points. It was a solid season, but I think it needs more attention from the network. It is not getting promoted as well as it could.

I gave it a B+.

Many of the episodes were good, but not great. However, the really great ones stood out as fabulous.

I agree whole heartedly that Hawkes needs more air time. He's such a talented actor, but so underused. I love Danny's character even more this season - he's so dramatic, and there's no middle ground with him, which is awesome.

It was great to see Mac loosen up and Stella emerge as the glue keeping the team together. I wasn't sad to see Aiden go, but not thrilled with Lindsay either. Maybe next season they will write better for her and maybe she'll take some acting lessons over the hiatus. ;)

My deepest wish is to see Hammerbeck become part of the cast. That would be awesome. He gets the best one-liners after Flack, but has this uncanny ability to make his coworkers slightly uncomfortable with his humor.

September is too far away!

i gave S2 an A

i found that while the show did seem to lose it's footing after changing it's dark appearance, the actual change was refreshing. i absolutely hated how gloomy and depressing S1 seemed (because of the whole 'dark blue hue' thing.)

in terms of characters:
-mac: he completely scared me in S1; he was too stoic. now, i can see why he is seen as a father figure by the younger csi's.
-stella: she's always been everyone's rock, and i was glad to see her vulnerable side. the writers did a nice job of showing that *anyone* can be a victim, but that you have to have strength of character to get through it, just like stella did.
-danny: i was so glad to see a softer side of danny. (to me, at least,) he became more human in this season.
-lindsay: she's this eager and utterly polite country girl and i think that that adds a nice dynamic to the tough city csi crew.
-hawkes: i'm glad he got out of the ME's office. he was more involved with all the characters this season and i found that a welcome change.
-flack: he adds really nice humor to the show with his one liners.

cons for S2:
- flack & hawkes didn't get enough screen time
- the characters lives are still quite unknown to us, besides a few random facts here and there. (i'm hoping that S3 will go more indepth with character development.)
-the continuity between episodes was off. i wanted to see what happened outside of the lab, but we were given few opportunities to do so.

pros for S2:
-i liked, if not loved, all of the episodes.
-the interaction bewteen danny and lindsay is so cute
-sid hammerback is completely weird, and that adds a nice quirk to the show
-ny was my least fav. csi show last season. now, it's my second favorite, if not most favorite
-(they're the most good looking csi team on tv ;) )

Back