Grade Season Two

Top41

Administrator
Administrator
Premium Member
Now that the second season is over...what did you think of it as a whole? Grade it and post your thoughts here!

I enjoyed season two quite a bit. I only started watching the show during reruns last summer and have only seen about half the season one eps, but I think season two was superior. Most shows are at their peak during their second through fourth seasons. The first season is usually spent introducing the the characters and concepts and around the fifth season, most shows get boring. But hopefully season three will be just as good -- or even better -- than this one was.

I loved season two. Totally got hooked this time around. I liked how the switch up in characters changed the chemistry of the team on screen. Some of the characters like Hawkes and Lindsay need more development, but it was nice to see the growth in Danny, Mac and Stella. I didn't really like that they had to kill-off Aiden, I mean, she already gone anyway, but what can you do? I also liked that the producers dropped the blue fliter this season. Hopefully season 3 will be even better.

I gave it a "B" I saw all of Season One on DVD and I have to say that Season Two just doesn't messure up. The tone was very inconsistant, going from too lighthearted in the begining to dark and gloomy near the end. The addtion of Lindsay Monroe hurt the show tremedously. She wasn't needed, we already had Aiden's replacement in the form of Sheldon Hawkes. They should have at least waited until Season Three before adding a new teammate, or had Lindsay be more like a Greg character and start her out as a lab tech before bringing her out onto the field. Don't even get me started on the forced "crush" between Danny and Lindsay.

And the new lab! Whose idea was it to paint the walls yellow anyway? It's hard on the eyes.

Things I did like about Season Two: Sheldon Hawkes working out on the field. Hill Harper is a fine actor and Hawkes is one of my favorite characters.

Episodes like Trapped, Manhattan Manhunt, RSRD, Charge of this Post, and Heroes.

Here's hoping that season three will be better.

I'm disappointed with the whole season. I'm not at all happy with the route the creators have taken, bringing it dangerousely close to miami. Many storylines were over the top, the forensic bit often got shorthanded, anna/lindsay is one HUGE mistake. Hell, I don't even like the change in the lighting - the blue filter was what nicely differentiated the show from the other spin-offs, sure, giving it a grim atmosphere, but seemed right under the circumstances. There was a series of episodes in a row beginning with half naked women and upbeat 'hip' music that made my stomach churn. I know NY is a hip city, but that's not all there is to it. And that just screamed sensationalism and ratings-booster.
I still love the characters, sans lindsay that is, and well, maybe mac gets on my nerves a bit with all his pompousness but at least he's consistent and I take him in stride.
On the positive note - I do enjoy sexing the characters up (in the clothes department:>) - danny in tight shirts/wife-beaters is one thing they got right;)
I'm guessing they won't be going back to what once was but I sure hope there is place to improve.

And , on the sidenote, I have to slightly disagree with Islandgirl there, 'cause imho CSI was at its best through seasons 5 & 6 and I can't wait for no 7:) But that's just me. They've reached a certain lightness and it's pure pleasure to watch. CSI:NY is very uneven at this point.

In short: *ramble ramble ramble* I liked first season much better.

B-.

This season did not live up to Season One and that disappoints me.

They could have done so much with what they had but they simply decided not to go anywhere with it.

As they all say, sophomore year is always the toughest. Let's just hope that season three is much better than season two.

I gave it an A.

I absolutely loved Season 2. I didn't watch all the episodes from season 1 that much mainly because I couldn't stand that blue hue that it had. This season was so refreshing. It's much brighter and I loved the storylines this season.

I liked Aiden and was sorry to see her leave (wasn't it Vanessa's choice?) but I also like Linsday. I think she fits in well. I love the way Danny calls her Montana. I think they all work great together and hope they don't change the team. I am excited to see season 3 and I sure hope that Flack recovers. I don't wanna see something happen to him and then watch NY go downhill the way Miami did after Speed died.

ETA: Actually, NY used to be my least favorite of the CSI's with Miami being my absolute favorite. But after this season NY is now my 2nd favorite and if the Miami finale is not a great episode, NY will move to the top of my list and Miami down to 2nd.

I said B but you can't really go by me yet, I've only seen one or two S1 eps and only about 3/4 of S2.

I debated between a B- and a C+, but finally went with C+. It's better to be hard on a young show in the hopes that it will eventually improve than to go soft and just hope it gets better.

I understand that network demands were a large part of what caused the show to change. I accept that as a reality, but my beef is that I didn't like how the show changed. These writers gave us a fantastic first season that really had found its voice by the end of the season. That voice was largely lost this season, as was the team cohesiveness that promised to make this show a standout.

The Bad: (going with this first so I can end on a positive note :) )

--Lindsay Monroe. Without a doubt this season's most obvious and major misstep. The character was both poorly cast and poorly executed. She's nothing more than a Mary Sue from bad fanfiction stuck in the middle of what used to be a seamless team.

--The pairing of Danny and Lindsay. Not subtle, not smooth, and not compelling in the least. Anything more than subtle is risky on a CSI show, but these two played out like a junior high soap opera. Let's hope this story line is played out.

--By the numbers stories. I realize the CSI shows follow a formula--all TV shows do. But to trot out the tired two case formula episode after episode even when certain stories had emotional impact for the characters was a mistake. CSI thrives on being inventive and Miami has created a niche for itself too. NY needs to do the same.

--Loss of team togetherness. Last year, we didn't need to see them all in a room together to be reminded that yes, this is a team of people who care about each other. I don't think we ever saw all the characters all together in a scene, and yet I felt like the team was much more cohesive before we started getting scenes with Lindsay eating bugs in front of everyone or the gang toasting Aiden's death. I like the idea of seeing the team altogether, but we need to feel they really are a team first.

--Lackluster stories. With crime dramas glutting the TV waves, the stories need to be tight. Not many of the cases really stand out from this year, and the ones that do tend to be the ones that involved personal character drama (Danny getting stuck in the panic room in "Trapped" or the team investigating Aiden's death). Most of the stories were fine, but every season should have a few way above average stories. This one didn't have enough.

--Undercutting female characters. Last season, I thought CSI: NY had the toughest female characters out of any of the CSI shows. Not so anymore. Aiden got murdered, Lindsay got whiny, and because they couldn't make Stella weak and stay true to her character, they decided to victimize her in possibly the most disgusting episode I've seen on TV in a long time.

--Hawkes. Can the man catch a break, ever? First they move him out of the morgue to get more screen time as a CSI, and then he's quickly pushed out of the newbie limelight by Lindsay. Yet another reason we didn't need the CSI from Montana. Hawkes all but disappeared in the second half of the season. When is Hill Harper--who is excellent when he is on screen--going to get his due?

The Good:

--Even somewhat toned down (I agree with Jaer who thinks someone put Danny on Prozac :lol: ), Danny Messer is still my favorite Drama Queen on television. Anytime they give him an episode, Carmine Giovinazzo runs with it. He's fantastic--the more of him, the better.

--Melina Kanakaredes is awesome. Not even going through hell in "All Access" could take away from Stella's inner strength. Mac isn't the stoic on the show--Stella is.

--Mac has improved this season. He's loosened up somewhat--a much needed change--and he's more human. I loved how episodes like RSRD, "Heroes" and "Charge of This Post" showed how much he cares about his team and his job. He's not my fav yet by any means, but I'm warming to him.

--Flack. Eddie Cahill's comic timing and delivery are so perfect it's like a gift every time he makes a wisecrack. And yet, RSRD and "All Access" show the depth of his dramatic talent, too.

--A few episodes stood out: "Trapped," "Cool Hunter," "Live or Let Die" and "Run Silent, Run Deep" were very good. But this show can do better than 4/24.

I gave it an A. I thought this season was a definite improvement over S1, especially in the latter half of the season. I think it started with them lightening up the show. I think the addition of Lindsay greatly improved the dynamic of the show (totally apart from her interaction with Danny, although I like it, greatly lightening everyone up. I like how we've seen a some of a softer/more vulnerable side of Stella. I far prefer the mature Danny we saw this season, to the whiny 5 year old from last season. I didn't hate a single episode this season, and thoroughly enjoyed almost all of them. I love the new lab (but I'm a scientist, so it's probably because it's much better than what I get to work in)

What I didn't like: the overall lack of character development, the lack of Hawkes (I thought he was becoming a CSI to get more screentime, but he sometimes seemed to get less screentime than characters not in the main credits: Adam, Stella's twins...), Stella's completely unprofessional clothing (however, this is a minor point)

C-.

Out of this season I only liked (ok, loved) 3 episodes. The lack of character development did not, in anyway help the show.

With bringing in Lindsay (too soon, and not need IMO), it made Hawke's character seem lightly added, as if he wasn't even there.

There were some good moments for Stella and Danny, which did help. But in no way was this season as good as s1.

I gave it a C. I'm one of the Blue Crew - this season just doesn't have the spark Season One had. I agree with Top almost entirely, which is kind of leaving me with nothing much to say for once.

I'd like to see more Hawkes next season, and more focus on the cases.

B+

IMO I think they need to find a middle point. Season 1 was a little too dark and this season to light. If they could find a good middle, that would be great. Cuz I like how Mac lightened up a bit but the rest of the show got to brighter as well. I have to say for the most part I liked the second half of the season much better.

Geez, Top, leave something for the rest of us to ramble on about. :p ;) You pretty much covered it and were nicer than I was, I gave it a D+. Season 2 will not be taking up any space on my DVD shelves no matter what kind of extras they have on it.

They need to get better writers...or writers who actually give a damn about the stories they write.

They need to get rid of Lindsay and not replace her. Hawkes is more than up to the task even if it leaves Stella the only woman. Jane doesn't count for all that she popped up in the finale.

They need to give Hawkes a reason to be on the show and keep Hammerback. He's creepy.

NO MORE B STORIES. Not unless they can do it right.

Things they did right....I like how they matured Flack, loosened up Mac (although I miss the ties. Flack should give him that hideous pink one, not because I think it will look better on Mac, but because that way Flack won't wear it anymore), and Stella is great. I don't care one way or the other about the labs, but I do miss the blue feel. It was a bit more real to me.

They've managed, the last few eps, to actually put NY back into the show and I would really like to see that continue.

Back