Grade 'Page Turner'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 1, 2008.

?

How would you grade Page Turner?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. A

19 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. A-

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  4. B+

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    14.5%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

Alright, so I finally got to watch it.

It was a pretty decent episode-compared to the first one of the season, maybe it didn't match, but it was good nonetheless. There were some cheesy lines scattered in there, though, and I didn't really see the point of Maroon 5 guest starring (don't get me wrong, the music was good). The whole case kind of went ehhh for me once we met the lawyer whose wife had died...the character just didn't seem right to me. He lost his wife two months before, and maybe it was just the lack of a skilled actor, but he seemed to be not entirely truthful about his grief from the beginning. I'm really kind of surprised that Mac, having been through the whole losing a loved one thing, would have been able to pick up that this guy's grief didn't seem 100 percent all there.

I did love the Flack one liners (as always!) and most definately Sid's brush with death. I have to say though, going halfway through the ep and finding out through a phone call that he was okay kinda killed the suspense. No, it wasn't like he was going to die, being finally made a main character, but it still would have been nice to put him in a bit more jeopardy. The writers did a good job with that in Charge of This Post with Flack's injuries and coma at the end, so I was kind of hoping for more of that with Sid's situation. Robert Joy was awesome though...and i loved the scene at the end when Hawkes, Mac, and Flack come to hang out with him in his hospital room. :) It definately was an "awwwww" moment for me. I did wonder why Adam and Danny weren't there though, seeing as they work in closer proximity than Flack does with Sid. After all, Adam went to Sid first in that one ep (once again, I forget the name) when he comes up with an alternate theory about why a suspect's eyes were blue (maybe it was Child's Play?), so I kind of thought there was a bit commraderie between them. Either way though, it was a nice ending:)

2. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

This episode was just average for me, nothing really great about it. Although, I loved that Maroon 5 was featured in the first part.

Poor Sid! Hah, I loved it when he said, "Uh oh." He knew that what he was dealing with wasn't good.

I've got to say those anti-radiation suits weren't flattering...well, except maybe on Flack it was. But then he's so good-looking, he can almost get away with bloody murder! :lol:

I agree, I loved Flack's one-liners. I think that was the highlight for me. Flack and Adam in a scene together two episodes in a row? Awesome! I always love their scenes together. The banter between them was hilarious! :lol:

I had a feeling that the lawyer did it and I was right. Gee, I really hate it when lawyers are portrayed as greedy and unethical bastards. Haha, I guess I get pretty much defensive about that kind of stereotypical portrayal.

Awww, the boys bonding with Sid was really endearing! But where the hell was Danny and Adam?

3. Rad

Rad Hit and Run

Overall, it was a good episode. Like Top said in her review, radiation poisoning is one scary scenario. Couldnt help recalling the movie "Project X". Has anyone seen it?

Now on with the show. Flack proved indispensible in this episode. His lines were just too good & helped lighten the heavy atmosphere of the crime.

Loved the fact that this episode had a lot of Hawkes. We just dont get enough of the man on the show.

And just what is up with Anna? In the suit ( which I admit did no one any favors), Anna just looked old. Maybe her first trimester is giving her trouble!!

In the scene with Hawkes at the lab, he shows Lindsay the evidence that he got off the second vic, (Cant recall his name) & her first response is "Its a torn piece of paper". DID YOU GUYS HEAR THAT? Its a torn piece of paper. Honestly, what would we do without Lindsay's brilliant powers of deduction? :rolleyes: I cant understand why TPTB end up giving such lame lines to her. It does nothing to endear her to me.

I also had a problem with the plot. If the whole point of this was for Joel Polson to be able to sue the city, why didnt he make an effort to connect the random victims to the library. It was pure chance as well as really good work on the part of the CSI team to make the connection. He couldnt have known abt the mold on Liza Carpenter's sandals or the piece of paper on Dante Gunther (yea! I remembered his name). That was just coincidence that Dante Gunther wrote on that particular book & tore the page off. That kind of seemed strange to me.

But on the whole a good episode.:)

4. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

I gave the ep a "B" -- it was enjoyable enough but not particularly outstanding. Loved seeing a lot of Hawkes--he had some wonderful scenes. Flack was fabulous, as always, especially with all his one-liners and the final scene, watching the Rangers hockey game with the guys in Sid's hospital room. I did think it was a shame Danny wasn't included in that final scene; are he and Flack still good friends that hang out together? Still love Stella and I always enjoy her working with Flack.

All in all, it was a decent episode and everyone had some screentime, which is always a plus in my book!

5. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Oh, yeah, they have a database for absolutely everything.

It was a very predictable episode, Sid was going to recover (I missed at least a mention to his wife and daughters, I would have liked they had showed up) and the husband was the killer that probably found inspiration in The Name of the Rose.

Btw, who tears a piece of paper from an antique book from the special section of a library to take a note? Vandal...

The last scene was really cute with Flack, Mac and Hawkes at Sid's hospital room.

6. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Just by virtue of CSI NY's ridiculous stunt casting (again!) and that lame, needlessly long scene in the beginning with Maroon 5 was enough for me to grade this ep an emphatic "F". :rolleyes: Pam Veasay, do you honestly think Maroon 5 raises your "young and hip" quotient, as you said in your interview? Honestly?!! :guffaw:

But the end scene, with the boys gathering for "Chips and Water" in Sid's room to watch the game, was enough to raise my grade a few notches. We rarely get the "Team gathering and hanging out for a casual/social event" in any of the CSI shows, so when we do get a scene like that, it's precious to me, particularly when it's well done. Especially since it's for Sid, whom I love dearly *hug*

Throw in some great one liners and truly heartfelt "snark" by Flack; a subtle but superb performance by the sorely underused Dr. Sheldon Hawkes (he was terrific - when they give him something to do, the man Shines!); and solid offerings by Mac, Stella & Adam, and my grade raised up to a B-

The radiation idea is always a pretty scary one, but it has been done in some form so many times before, and at least once (or twice?) within the CSI franchise itself. And as other posters have mentioned, one could very easily spot the Bad Guy, the second we saw the painting of his dead wife. And since that happened about halfway through, that left the remaining 30 minutes that we pretty much knew who the villian was, it was just a matter of the CSI team catching up to us on the knowledge. ;)

7. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

If you watch and listen to the commentary in Consequences you'll hear Pam Veasay laugh and say they have a database for everything and make a lot up. It's just a show, not a big deal!

8. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

So, let me get this straight: Lindsay is pregnant and spends the day blithely traipsing around a lab exposed to radiation and thallium. Yes, I know she was decked out in a hazmat suit and that the exposure had been contained. I also know that Lindsay, ever swift on the uptake, has no idea of the magical bean Danny has planted.

But tell me right now why her inevitable spawn won't have three hands and two spleens?

Oh, that's right. Because a baby with a disability or a birth defect would be an unpleasant harshing of Tru Wub's pink glow(I also suspect TPTB are afraid of jinxing AB's real pregnancy, which I understand, bless them.)

My other huge quibble with this episode was the lack of Familia Hammerback. We know Sid has a wife and two daughters, so where were they? If my husband and father had been irradiated like a chicken gizzard less than a year after his near-death by pastrami, I'd be on him like a barnacle. Visiting hours might've been over, I guess, but then why is the entire male Nerd Herd plus Flack crammed into his room?

Boy, Flack, sucks to be you. You almost die and get Mac asking you to clean his conscience, er, squeeze his hand. Sid almost dies, and Mac makes multiple visits. Even Lindsay rouses herself from her self-involvement to ask after him. Then everyone descends on Sid's room with booty. Guess blown guts isn't worth much these days.

The rest of the episode was pretty good. The one-case format has always been their strong suit, and that was on display here. The case was remarkably well-constructed, and for once, the twists were subtle and credible.

God bless Flack. Once again, we see his loyalty to the cops on the street clash with the reality that it is possible for those cops to be wrong. His immediate defense of the riot police hearkens back to his reluctance to believe Truby's guilt in "Consequences" or Moran's guilt in the "The Fall". It's a nice bit of consistency in an otherwise wildly inconsistent show. The reluctant resignation on his face as he looks at the knot on the victim's throat from the police-issue beanbag was heartbreaking. Here we go again, it said.

Happily, Flack was back on form by the time he met Lamo. His "Lame-o" crack was pitch-perfect, and I swear, I thought Melina was going to lose it for a second.

His kvetching at wearing the Hazmat suit was a bit over-the-top, but certainly not in Horatio Caine territory.

For what it's worth, Flack, I thought you looked hot in all that black neoprene. ~molests~

Maroon 5 was a waste of five good minutes, but the episode wasn't horrendous. It held my attention, which is more than I can say for most of the previous season. It's too much to call it a win, but I'll settle for a push.

B

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  9. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

We don't even know she's pregnant on the show yet. Maybe she isn't yet on there. You know, sometimes it takes some time before you know! Saying she's ever so swift on the uptake is saying she's stupid and she's not stupid. A lot of women don't know they are pregnant for at least a month sometimes longer!

10. radgeek

radgeek Civilian

LOVED last night's epi. A+ for me. To answer Faylinn's question: "Does the radiation not go around the little plastic face thingy?"

The Radiation would actually go right through it. It was a Radiation Alert Monitor 4, which is a Geiger Tube based instrument. It can detect really low levels of radiation, and given the position the switch was in, there really wasn't too much radiation present there. I think it got more airtime than all of the other CSI radiation detectors combined! Almost thought they had a new cast member!! I think the other one was a Bicron model. Not sure.

Depending on the type of Thallium, the half life could be anywhere between a couple days and a few minutes. I'm imagining that Sid just fainted 'cause he was so freaked out about being exposed. Of course, taking into consideration the number of X-Rays he takes and looks at in a season......

Guess I'm just a sucker for radiation mysteries. Ever see CSI:Miami's Dead Woman Walking?

11. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Lindsay doesn't really exist, so there's no reason to be offended on her behalf.

Anyway, back on topic. I gave this episode a C. It did hold my interest, I loved the way the team rallied around Sid, and Flack's humor is always welcome. I thought Melina was gonna blow a vein from trying not to laugh at the "Lame-O" quip too. And yay for Hawkes actually having a purpose this episode. Use him more, PTB! I also loved the crazy back yard scientist guy. They need to go back to using more of those types of quirky characters.

The things that brought this episode down for me were the bad puns about the library and books, The whole Maroon 5 beginning, and the fact that Danny and Adam weren't with the guys in Sid's room at the end. I suppose someone had to be at the lab and Adam drew the short straw.
    Danny was probably being all blissfully domestic with his new appendages, Lindsay and Spawn. *gag*
    It would've been nice to see Stella there since Sid always flirts with her. As much as I love Flack, have we ever seen him interact with Sid before this episode? I don't remember them having any scenes together so it seemed weird Flack would be there over Stella, Danny and Adam.

The thing that really brought the grade down was the sudden appearance of the lawyer. As soon as we found out the third victim was his wife he might as well have had the other painter dude spray paint "I did it" on his forehead. Like it was mentioned, that happened half way through the show so it was a long wait until the CSI's caught up.

I also agree about Lindsay being the one with Hawkes handling the radiation. Not a smart move, PTB. I agree with LaGuera under other circumstances there should be ramifications of her being that close to it. It would be a nice twist to have two main characters having to deal with expecting a child with a birth defect. Since the only person with a disability to appear on the show (well, besides Dr. Giles, he was a good character) I can remember is the kid in DtRH who wanted to off himself because of his condition, I won't be holding my breath for any compelling story lines involving babies with birth defects. But I wouldn't want it now anyway because I agree that would be horribly insensitive and stupid considering Anna Belknap is really pregnant.

It was basically an entertaining show, but CSI: NY could have and has done better.

12. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

Loved it!

I love that Flack seems to get more than just a few short lines so far this season. I love it! :drool:

Love the interaction between Danny and Flack ("I would prefer you would stay away"! - whoda thunk it?!)

Love Adam. We gotta have more Adam!

Love Hawkes - he's Da Man!

Great episode! :thumbsup:

Beth

13. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Well, there was the paraplegic brother in "Love Run Cold" as well, though that was more to facilitate the homicidal sister's angst over her "broken" brother. And the blind victim in another episode whose name eludes me.

No, CSI:NY hasn't represented the disabled community well, but compared to other shows, which seldom acknowledge disabled people exist, the franchise has at least recognized them more than most. All three have had disabled victims at one point. CSI, bless it, has had three disabled victims/suspects, and it's got Doc Robbins, who is made of win.

I had such high hopes for Dr. Giles, but alas...

And while the viewers and the characters might be in the dark about the pregnancy, the writers were not, and as such, they should've known better. Period. Full stop.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  14. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I'm not offended, I don't understand why anyone is making such a big deal about this. If we don't know she's pregnant and the character doesn't know she's pregnant than what's the point of bringing such things up? If you didn't read spoilers you wouldn't know she was having a baby on the show so then you'd have no reason to say anything about her being near the radiation. Plus, if she's covered up then she's protecting herself (and if she were pregnant-the baby also) from the radiation. It's like a radiologist who is pregnant still working. Anyways, that's my point, not offended just making the point.

15. littlemegs

littlemegs Dead on Arrival

she may be pregnant now but she might not of been when this episode was filmed